“nice gardens shame about the rest” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chartridge Lodge

Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“nice gardens shame about the rest”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights for a family wedding which thankfully was at another venue.

Our room was in the old part of the hotel, pokey little room and very noisy.

The bride and groom were also staying in the new part of the hotel in the "bridal suite" ( ha ha ha that's a good one !) the hotel didn't even have the room made up, the bed was still unmade from the night before and no clean towels, what a terrible way to treat the newly weds added to which they had no hot water, maybe the hotel thought they needed a cold shower.

The Sunday morning breakfast was awful especilally the scambled eggs which which smelled llke they were "off". We noticed many guests didn't eat the eggs, its a pity the hotel staff didn't notice.

The iron had bare wires, do they really PAT test them properly?

The gardens and grounds were lovely; no expense spared. Pity they don't spend some on the rooms and their service.

All in all the hotel is just awful you get what you pay for so if you can't afford a better hotel, ask them if you can pitch a tent in the grounds.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank avid-traveller-1960
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Its not often that one gets reviewed in the manner within your note and we as a team take each review seriously and discuss improvements we can make throughout. With regards to the scrambled eggs they are made fresh and I am sorry that you did not enjoy them. Thank you for making comments about the bride and grooms experience. One does not always know the full story of course when commenting about others experience. In their case because it was the bride and groom I have given them a full discount. There was however some miscommunication from both parties. It was a shame that we were not informed about the hot water so that we were given a chance to rectify the problem. There was a problem with servicing the room and my Night Porter offered to service the room completely but was told no. On the positive we did keep the bar open for their guests so that they could continue to enjoy their evening. This despite my night porter been sworn at by some of the party. We do do our best to please, sometimes we get it wrong. I therefore as is the team am disappointed that a score such as yours was given. particularly as we did our utmost to rectify a mistake and a wrong perceived. However I would like to thank you for your comments because we do use them to learn and move forward.

Yours sincerely

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Staying here on business trip, 4.35 wide awake due to noisy plumbing I'm guessing ! Phoned the reception and night porter came up, agreed it was noisy and offered to investigate and sort me something out but at 4.35 who is going to move!
In a superior room which is travelodge standard, would hate to see the non superior room, tops missing off taps etc but is clean and bed comfortable for me.
As with other reviews staff have all been excellent and
This was one of the cheapest hotels available when I booked yesterday and close to where I needed to be. The old adage you get what you pay for applies!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were troubled by a plumbing issue. There was indeed an issue which I have now rectified and indeed we are now investing a substantial sum in our heating and plumbing system. We are also investing on a continuous refurbishment programme and have refurbished our Restaurant Bar Area and some of the bedrooms. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back and I would like to thank you for your kind comments with regards to the team.

Sinerely

Stephen Quigley

Travelers are raving about these Chesham hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Were do i start,this hotel is diabolical. I was down in Aylesbury on business and checked in here at 3.10pm and checked out at 5.00pm and told them i simply could not stay the night in there rooms. Firstly the receptionist was completely useless and checking in was a hassle as she demanded i needed a bank card to check in, i informed her the company had paid for it and i didn't carry cards. This seemed to bemuse her and a manager had to be called and after another 10 minutes messing about it was sorted. My room was up 2 floors in a cramped hallway that was frankly disgusting. The toilet had not been cleaned and still had excrement down the side, the 'desk' was covered in cup marks and i could see the outside through the windowsill! There was no phone reception in the room or hotel (had to sit in the car) and also wifi access was restricted to the lobby. Completely useless for business personnel. When i complained i was told there were no other rooms available. I briefly looked through the menu simply so i could write a review and it was very poor with limited choice, i wouldn't advise eating here as the first thing i noticed when I pulled up was 2 of the kitchen staff stood out the rear of the 'hotel' smoking right by the exit. I then decided id rather tackle the 3 hour drive home than stay in this so took my key back to reception and informed the useless girl on reception that I could not stay in the hotel due to concerns about cleanliness to which she replied 'ok then bye bye' and that was it, . . No apology, nothing. Disgusting. Save your money and go to either the travelodge or premier inn in Aylesbury.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Lstcause
Thank you for your comments. Not typical but I would like the opportunity of making amends if you could call me I would appreciate it.

Regards

General Manager.
Buckinghamshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at Chartridge conference centre whilst attending a friends wedding, the food at the reception was good considering the numbers, about 60 guests, the staff where very attentive as was the restaurant manager, our only complaint would be that our room was very small and specifically the bathroom, it was tiny!, but I suppose it is a conference centre after all.

Room Tip: Can't help you on that one, maybe the honeymoon suite would be bigger!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review on trip advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Wedding Breakfast. Sorry that you got our smallest room. Unlike competitors 95% of our rooms are of a reasonable standard and size but I do understand your comment. Once again thanks.

General Mnager
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

We couldn't have asked for a better venue for our wedding a few weeks ago! The grounds are beautiful for the photos and look amazing. The staff are excellent and do anything to help you, extra special thanks to Lisa and to Helen. Lots of our guests complimented the food and also how helpful the staff were. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Honeyjj
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you so much for completing your review for Chartridge Lodge. I have particularly thanked both Lisa and Helen but also of course the entire team. I am so pleased that everthing was "perfect" and you took the time to let us know.

Many thanks and Best Wishes

Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

While there was no wedding in the hotel during our Saturday night stay, it was being used to accommodate guests from a wedding down the road. Thankfully we were only woken up once by returning guests, but the next morning breakfast was like a scrum. The young waitresses were unable to cope with the number of guests, and the quality of food was mediocre and served buffet style.

Our “superior” room was in the newer block. The shower room had recently been refurbished and was very attractive, but the room itself was very basic and reminiscent of rooms in a student hall of residence. The bed was short – just six feet, so not ideal for tall people.

The main problem we encountered was a radiator, which would not shut off, so the room was hot all night. We had mentioned this to the very pleasant receptionist. While we were out at dinner, she had apparently gone up and turned the control the other way, but had not thought to check it again and then inform maintenance.

We were told that the hotel is being sold. Hopefully the new owners will spend money on the rooms, bringing them up to the standard of the grounds, which are lovely. The hotel also boasts an excellent, quiet location.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We have indeed been sold which my team are delighted about. We have invested considerably in the short period under our new ownership. In the interim before a full refurbishment we have repainted and tiled some 20 bedrooms and bathrooms. We are replacing radiators in a further 20 rooms at the end of April. I do understand that because of numbers we had to serve a buffet breakfast while you were with us but typically all guests come down later at the weekend and with the numbers involved a buffet breakfast is the most practical. I am sorry that you were disturbed by other guest but pleased that you enjoyed our lovely grounds.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity of Welcoming you back.

Kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I normally have travelodges...and this place has made a super change.

Good size room...shower was a little dated but again..hot water and super pressure.

Lovely breakfast this morning too.

The big let down was the 45 minute wait for a really average evening meal.

Staff lovely though and very polite

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank techywanderer
Dear Guest.

I am pleased that generally things were to your satisfaction. Changes are afoot at Chartridge Lodge. We are soon to introduce a new menu. We were under the auspices of a different company but now we are able to progress many aspects of both the food product and I am pleased to say that we have started a refurbishment programme within the building and grounds. Thank you very much for submitting your review.

Kind regards

Stephen Quigley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
Missenden Abbey Conference Centre
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!