“A curates egg”
Review of Chartridge Lodge

Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Went there for a wedding reception, grounds and reception rooms were very good. Room was poor and over priced - was most annoyed that the special wedding rate was more then their standard rate.
Room was smelly, pan in toilet was dirty and the top of one tap was missing. This was the common theme for most of the other guests.
Breakfast was OK and the wedding reception and service were good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear guest thank you for your responce. I am pleased that you enjoyed the wedding breakfast. There was some confusion on your rate and if you would like to call me to discuss then I am happy to assist

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here as all the hotels in Aylesbury were full (G8 summit!). It is in impressive grounds and the staff were lovely. I ate there too and it was very good. The room I had was very tired and needed some TLC but I can't complain. It was £55 for the night including breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting your review for Chartridge. I am pleased that in general you enjoyed your stay. At present we are planning to upgrade some of our rooms and I would be pleased to welcome you back on your return to the area

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We chose Chartridge as our wedding venue because of the character of the place, the beautiful gardens and the friendly staff. The wedding was in late March 2013, which we had hoped would be a lovely time with the Daffodils out and guests able to see the full splendour of the grounds... what did we get - Snow! If anything though it just made the place look even more picturesque.

We had a lovely time, and it was a really great choice of venue.. The food and drink was wonderful, the staff extremely friendly and helpful all day long, everything ran like clockwork due to the expert planning of the in house wedding co-ordinator, and the bedrooms very comfortable at the end of a long, emotional day.

We have had nothing but positive feedback from our guests since the day, especially regarding the fine cuisine served at the Wedding Breakfast, and the fantastic service from the staff all day.

Chartridge will always hold a special place in our hearts following our perfect day, and in particular we'd like to thank Mr Stephen Quigley and his team... simply a true credit to the hospitality industry

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank LauraR1ley
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Laura,
What a pleasure to read your very kind comments on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased you had such a great time and that everybody enjoyed the menu you had chosen. I have passed on your very kind comments to Lisa and the rest of the team who I know will be very encouraged by them. Perhaps you will be able to return to celebrate your first anniversary !
Wishing you both well,

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I was on a course in Aylesbury and stayed here for the week. Staff were friendly and helpful, the place was clean and there's free wifi in the rooms. The exercise room is very basic with an elliptical trainer, running machine and weights machine but then it's not advertised as a gym.
The only problem I had was the distance from Aylesbury which is probably my fault. Once off the main road there are a few miles on a poorly surfaced B road.
Price was very reasonable so would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Chartridge. I am pleased that the team were friendly and helpful and that in general you enjoyed your stay. I do hope we have the opportunity of taking care of you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here after attending a wedding. From the moment we arrived we liked the place. We were given a very warm smile and welcome from the receptionist and the various rooms we had use of for the celebrations were well furnished and comfortable.

The wedding went very well, the staff were all very pleasant, helpful and polite. The wedding breakfast was excellent quality and we were given extremely generous portions.

Breakfast the following morning was good too, there were only a handful of us staying at the hotel so our breakfasts were all cooked to order, and as we were leaving they asked if we'd like to take away the left over (but still fresh) danish pastries with us - we thought that was very generous.

The only thing that let it down for me was our bedroom in the old part of the building ; it was clean and had completely adequate facilities with the usual hairdryer, coffee, tea, kettle etc but it was in need of a makeover - the bed was a bit lumpy and the fixtures and fittings were tired and tatty.

In summary, I would stay again as I think customer service is more important to an enjoyable stay than a brand new bathroom suite, but if you care more about trendy boutique fixtures and fittings you'd be disappointed.

Room Tip: I didn't see the garden rooms or rooms in the newer extension, but those I spoke to that did ha...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your kind comments with regards to your recent stay with us at Chartridge. I am pleased that the team took good care of you and that you would stay with us again despite the distance to Aylesbury. In the spring when the weather gets warmer there are spacious grounds to enhance your exercise routine.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Found the place through Laterooms.com. The room i had was very well laid out and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was enjoyable and the staff very warm and welcoming. Will definitely try there agin.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,.

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to your recent stay at Chartridge. I have of course passed your feedback to the team who were very pleased.

General Manager.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a difficult review as we have just visited here for my Lady's daughter's wedding and in this respect all went very well and for their budget it was a good choice.

The grounds even in winter make for an ideal setting, the room in which the reception was held was roomy, nicely decked out and atmospheric, the food was more than acceptable and the staff very polite, curteous and charming.

But it's not by any means romantic, cute or cosy, and if you stay as we did in the main building it's pretty horrible.

Our room on the first floor was ghastly, drab furnishings, austere bathroom, stiff bed with single thin pillows (there are spares on the wardrobe shelf we were told, well our wardrobe didn't even have a shelf) and inadequate bed covers that didn't fit, rubbish shower that had more water coming out of the hose than the shower head, NO face flannels, a single hand towel, and one tub of shower gel/shampoo.

Bar staff very very young, enthusiastic but hopelessly inexpereinced and it's unacceptable to have only a SINGLE BRAND on offer for all of Gin, Vodka and Scotch.

I'm always going to dock marks when Breakfast at the weekend is served until only 10.00 am and when you have a Wedding party this is just plain stupid !!!

Surprise suprise everybody turned up at 9.45 am, so the fruit juice ran out, the milk ran out, the coffee ran out, and the staff were hovering at elbows ready to clear away plates as soon as the cutlery went down.

Cooked items of course ran out as well, and I don't know if this is always served buffett style but if so that's not what I want either, I want a choice of how my eggs are cooked, and fresh bacon etc etc.

We don't want to stay here again.

Room Tip: I'm told it's nicer in the cottages but I doubt that it's a whole lot better, go for the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing your review of Chartridge on trip advisor. I am sorry that an adeguete amount of pillows and soaps were not put in your room. On a more positive note I have taken the following action following your comments. I have asked for the restaurant to be open for breakfast until 10.30 am and a sign placed offering alternative cooked eggs. Sometimes it is necessary to offer a buffet breakfast because guests arrive at the restaurant together however their is no excuse for running out of cooked items although these were replenished. We are at present looking at how we can redecorate some of our bedrooms. I have also ordered additional drinks for the bar. I am of course pleased that you enjoyed the occassion of the Wedding and once again thank you for your comments

Stephen Quigley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
Pendley Manor Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!