“Good hotel, good price,”
Review of Chartridge Lodge

Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
“Good hotel, good price,”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I was on a course in Aylesbury and stayed here for the week. Staff were friendly and helpful, the place was clean and there's free wifi in the rooms. The exercise room is very basic with an elliptical trainer, running machine and weights machine but then it's not advertised as a gym.
The only problem I had was the distance from Aylesbury which is probably my fault. Once off the main road there are a few miles on a poorly surfaced B road.
Price was very reasonable so would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Chartridge. I am pleased that the team were friendly and helpful and that in general you enjoyed your stay. I do hope we have the opportunity of taking care of you again on your next visit to the area.

Stephen Quigley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here after attending a wedding. From the moment we arrived we liked the place. We were given a very warm smile and welcome from the receptionist and the various rooms we had use of for the celebrations were well furnished and comfortable.

The wedding went very well, the staff were all very pleasant, helpful and polite. The wedding breakfast was excellent quality and we were given extremely generous portions.

Breakfast the following morning was good too, there were only a handful of us staying at the hotel so our breakfasts were all cooked to order, and as we were leaving they asked if we'd like to take away the left over (but still fresh) danish pastries with us - we thought that was very generous.

The only thing that let it down for me was our bedroom in the old part of the building ; it was clean and had completely adequate facilities with the usual hairdryer, coffee, tea, kettle etc but it was in need of a makeover - the bed was a bit lumpy and the fixtures and fittings were tired and tatty.

In summary, I would stay again as I think customer service is more important to an enjoyable stay than a brand new bathroom suite, but if you care more about trendy boutique fixtures and fittings you'd be disappointed.

Room Tip: I didn't see the garden rooms or rooms in the newer extension, but those I spoke to that did ha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your kind comments with regards to your recent stay with us at Chartridge. I am pleased that the team took good care of you and that you would stay with us again despite the distance to Aylesbury. In the spring when the weather gets warmer there are spacious grounds to enhance your exercise routine.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Found the place through Laterooms.com. The room i had was very well laid out and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was enjoyable and the staff very warm and welcoming. Will definitely try there agin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,.

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to your recent stay at Chartridge. I have of course passed your feedback to the team who were very pleased.

General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a difficult review as we have just visited here for my Lady's daughter's wedding and in this respect all went very well and for their budget it was a good choice.

The grounds even in winter make for an ideal setting, the room in which the reception was held was roomy, nicely decked out and atmospheric, the food was more than acceptable and the staff very polite, curteous and charming.

But it's not by any means romantic, cute or cosy, and if you stay as we did in the main building it's pretty horrible.

Our room on the first floor was ghastly, drab furnishings, austere bathroom, stiff bed with single thin pillows (there are spares on the wardrobe shelf we were told, well our wardrobe didn't even have a shelf) and inadequate bed covers that didn't fit, rubbish shower that had more water coming out of the hose than the shower head, NO face flannels, a single hand towel, and one tub of shower gel/shampoo.

Bar staff very very young, enthusiastic but hopelessly inexpereinced and it's unacceptable to have only a SINGLE BRAND on offer for all of Gin, Vodka and Scotch.

I'm always going to dock marks when Breakfast at the weekend is served until only 10.00 am and when you have a Wedding party this is just plain stupid !!!

Surprise suprise everybody turned up at 9.45 am, so the fruit juice ran out, the milk ran out, the coffee ran out, and the staff were hovering at elbows ready to clear away plates as soon as the cutlery went down.

Cooked items of course ran out as well, and I don't know if this is always served buffett style but if so that's not what I want either, I want a choice of how my eggs are cooked, and fresh bacon etc etc.

We don't want to stay here again.

Room Tip: I'm told it's nicer in the cottages but I doubt that it's a whole lot better, go for the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing your review of Chartridge on trip advisor. I am sorry that an adeguete amount of pillows and soaps were not put in your room. On a more positive note I have taken the following action following your comments. I have asked for the restaurant to be open for breakfast until 10.30 am and a sign placed offering alternative cooked eggs. Sometimes it is necessary to offer a buffet breakfast because guests arrive at the restaurant together however their is no excuse for running out of cooked items although these were replenished. We are at present looking at how we can redecorate some of our bedrooms. I have also ordered additional drinks for the bar. I am of course pleased that you enjoyed the occassion of the Wedding and once again thank you for your comments

Stephen Quigley

Travelers are raving about these Chesham hotels

southampton
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Set in beautiful grounds with a "pitch and put"available the hotel has a lovely setting. the staff were very friendly and helpful whilst the rooms (we were in a cottage acommodation in grounds) were clean and warm . the shower was a bit dated but hot water was always available and it did work ok.
We ate a bar snack the first night and was not very impressed with it at all so we ate in Chesham the second night, which is a short drive away. Breakfast was good with a choice of English menu or Continental, again staff always very polite, attentive and helpful. We would definitely stay there againbut probably have main meal out.

Room Tip: many rooms are located in the grounds of the hotel and just a short walk to the main building, proba...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently stayed here whilst on business,

Hotel location is great if you want to be in country side short drive approximately 10 minutes in to the town centre,
I stayed in the cottage which was very tired old smelt damp. The room itself was clean which is always a positive, Quality of sleep wasn’t the greatest as you could hear the gut in the room above walking around the room before bed and in the morning also hear his phone go off as well as the conversation he was having. The shower could do with being replaced and beware of the window in the toilet room it hasn’t got any blocked visibility so people on the car park could always catch you in the shower if the blinds are open! Breakfast was fine service from staff no problem and the car park is secure. If I was to stay here again I would request the hotel room not the cottage.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ollieboy89
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Semi-regular business stays means that I've sampled various rooms over the years. Standards vary, so don't be afraid to ask for a change of room/ to view another. All the rooms have been adequate and clean, but showing heir age.

Staff are really helpful and always available. Food has always been great, with a nice home-cooked style. I never leave this place hungry or wanting for more.

They've got the conference / business market sorted, but unsure about using it as a hotel or wedding venue, so seek other reviews.

The grounds / area of the Hertfordshire countryside are enchanting.

Room Tip: Ask to check out another room, as they do vary a lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
#3 of 6 in Aylesbury
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!