“Would not use again”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Derbyshire
“Would not use again”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The room was chilly, wi-fi was very poor - I could not even pick up emails.

reakfast - freshly cooked options were good but the choice if you are not having full english is paltry. And there is a huge pot of tea that, when I got there, had been stewing for so long it was undrinkable.

It all looks a bit jaded and tatty.

On the plus side, the gardens are lovely, and the staff were helpful. At the price I paid (£40) it was acceptable, but I wouldn't want to stay for long.

Nice and quiet from a sleeping poit of view - until they opened the kitchens and turned on some extractors very early in the morning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Had my 29th birthday here, very well organised event, excellent and varied buffet, friendly and attentive staff. The landscaped grounds are beautiful, so if you are lucky enough to have a sunny spell of weather make the most of them. The staff allowed a late checkout of 1pm and arranged a croquet match, all very civilised. Would book again.

Room Tip: Choose either the old area, room 32, 33 if you want more characterful rooms. The largest rooms are a...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here because it was our daughter's graduation at RAF Halton just 6 miles away and the price was right. The hotel itself was fine, nice and clean, the staff we saw were very helpful and the breakfast was very good. Although there were lovely grounds and the hotel was located in a lovely area I didn't somehow feel the atmosphere of a hotel. Perhaps calling it a Conference Centre put me off and when we had breakfast there were clearly signs of business people having theirs (playing on their i-pads and reading papers!!!!). Not a problem because we only needed a bed for the night but I don't think I would stay here if on holiday. The en-suite was very small and looked like a cupboard from outside but again it was fine for one night. We would go there again but not before seeking out somewhere else closer to the RAF base.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which isn't overlooked by others or at least has net curtains. Our room had big w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Janet B
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We were staying at Chartridge Conference Centre for a group function and paid £70 for B&B. When we arrived we noticed how lovely the grounds were. The Receptionist was very welcoming and friendly. Unfortunately the weather had changed abruptly and the room was very cold and although we turned the radiators on, they had obviously been turned off centrally. The room was a nice size but needed an upgrade. The carpet was dirty. We had a lovely evening and found all the staff delightful. We were looking forward to breakfast, but were disappointed. Very mediocre.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
York
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at the Chartridge Conference Centre with a colleague while on business. The establishment was very quiet; a large conference had apparently just ended that day.

On arrival the receptionist was very pleasant, however she explained to us that there has a wedding the next day and so she had limited room availability. I received the key to my first room, which was small yet functional; however it was worn in regard to the bathroom. After washing my hands before dinner, I found that I could not empty the water from the sink, having reported the problem to reception, I was moved to another room, this room was devoid of view overlooking an adjacent roof.

We went downstairs for a drink in the very sparse bar, and then moved through to the dining room for dinner, this room was functional, not a dining room, more of an entertainments room, with a pool table, and sky sports on the television.

I ordered the special, which was a beef dish, it was appalling, burnt meat hidden under a rancid green sauce, there is no other way of describing it, I immediately returned the dish.

I was in bed by 8:45 as there was no atmosphere what so ever.

We were up early in the morning for breakfast, this was adequate in quality, however it was lacking in quantity with 1 rasher of bacon, a table spoon of beans, a half slice of fried bread, 3 button mushrooms chopped in half (6 Half's) and a hard fried egg.

I decided to leave and top up elsewhere, having not eaten the night before and this breakfast being fit for a child.

On checking out, I found that they had then tried to charge me for my meal the night before, which I refused to pay.

In essence, If you are on a trip with work and you have to go then god bless, if not, stay away.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2012

The hotel is some distance from Chesham Station but the compensation is a very comfortable hotel at a great price. I paid just £45 for a double room with en suite including breakfast.
The staff could not have been more helpful and everything was done with a smile rather than a scowl.
Although clearly geared to the small business conference / team building market as an overnight stop instead of braving the Metropolitan line back to London or the M25 after a heavy day it worked very well.
Would happily stay again if I had to go to Chesham or Amersham.

Room Tip: Original building bit of a warren so not easy if unsteady on your feet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Went for a corporate training course. Kitchen closed at 9pm while we arrived at 9.05pm. Best choice then is the local pub a good 5min drive so taxi is recommended as opposed to walking.
Heating in room not quite on par with Nordic standards though with the spare blankets in the room one could at least sleep through the night without freezing.
Staff service was warm and friendly, coffee breaks with tasty cakes. Great surroundings with forrest and small golf course.

• Stayed March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Kings Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Amersham
Missenden Abbey Conference Centre

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!