“Couldn't wait to leave”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't wait to leave”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The photos of this hotel on its website are deceiving. The grounds and the actual exterior of the hotel are lovely, but internally, it is worn and in need of refurbishment.
Bed was hard. Curtains were stained and made the room feel grubby. Lamps and blankets were a nicotine colour which made them look grubby even if they were not actually dirty. Bathroom very basic. Did not sleep well at all and couldn't wait to leave the next morning. Would not return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Latimer Place. Too late for this stay I know, but the room that you stayed in has been highlighted for refurbishment, this year these rooms located by Reception will be getting new beds and curtains and later on will be having a full refurbishment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

A lovely hotel in beautiful surroundings. We had a very warm welcome when we checked in. Our room was spotless with everything we needed for a relaxing night away. Only down side was there could of been more plug sockets.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your feedback - it is very uplifting to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and we do hope that you return to us in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had stayed at Latimer once before, and returned for our second visit. Booked a special deal - £29 for the room (although I did also book breakfast once we got there) and got a room on the second floor of the main house, in the side wing. It was spotless and comfortable.

We ate from the bar menu, for the first time at any De Vere (normally eat in the restaurant) and were pleasantly surprised at the quality and value - especially with the cheeseboard.

The house and grounds are lovely, especially the library, but what sets this apart are the staff - de Vere staff are all well trained (it's a corporate body) but the staff at Latimer are also friendly and I can only think it's because it's a happy place to work. From the young guy on reception who greeted us, to the bar staff, to the cleaners we spoke to as we checked out - all happy and helpful.

Will certainly return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting such delightful feedback about Latimer Place. We are very fortunate to work in such beautiful surroundings which does make working here a delight.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Holbeach, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at this hotel on one of the special deals that de vere do, and well for that price you can't beat what we got. Although we had had snow we still made it for our weekend to meet with friends. We were greeted in a friendly manner. Our rooms were adequate, although I would have to suggest a couple of things, a suitcase holder, and a large bath mat for the floor as the stone floor is extremely cold (too cold to stand on) especially when the grounds outside were full of snow. We arrived, dumped our stuff and took off for a beautiful walk in the grounds where we saw families and other couples doing exactly the same, kids were on their sledges and parents too! We came back and were welcomed to complimentary tea and coffee with a selection of biscuits and fruit.

We then had a change and a dip in the pool, which was a little cold but once you got used to it! Ad then the sauna and steam, unfortunately the jacuzzi was out of order while we were there but it didn't stop us having fun. We then dined out at a nearby pub " the swan" which was amazing and then back to the hotel where we saw many couples, families sitting In all areas of the hotel playing games and watching tv. We took our own games and were never bothered once all evening. Breakfast was very nice and then we had to depart which we were all sad about.

This hotel has masses of conference facilities although on this occasion this is not why we were there. Well done de vere another pleasant weekend for me and my friends see you next year x

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for you great feedback about Latimer Place, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we also that you for your suggestions and comments.

We hope to see you again, our new promotions are now live and available up to April 2013
Castleford
Reviewed January 15, 2013

As I am writing this I am actually staying at the Latimer Place. You may wonder why I am writing while here but it's because unfortunately I am ill and hotel bed bound. Secondly I thought I would write this while all is still fresh in my head. 1st thing is lat week I came on trip adviser and suddenly panicked reading the reviews as I had already booked here with my daughter as we were doing a Uni visit. When we first drove up the road ( tiny narrow road passing tudor style houses) into the large open grounds which you could see for miles as the hotel was on the top of a hill. Me and my daughter just looked at each other, honest the photos on the website do not do this hotel justice! We parked up and checked in to find our room was in the main house ( cost £49 per twin room per night) we were given room 204 on the second floor. As we walked down the long winding corridors we knew we were going to be in for a treat. As we opened the bedroom door we were dumbfound to see a very spacious room with two large single beds, large LCD refreshment tray. Hairdryer, iron bottles water etc it was rarely decorated and numerous small lamps dotted around the room to make the feel even cosier. The views from the room were absolutely breathtaking with a approx 140 degree of beautiful landscapes and river running past the grounds. To make the sights even more breathtaking it had been snowing the previous day and everything was white over. Anyway as we went downstairs to have a mosey of the hotel the ground floor made you go back in time with huge open rooms with the original 6 feet fireplaces a huge library and huge staircases. You need to make sure you have a mooch about as each corridor sent you to a different room. The only downfall was the bar it was very small and would of been much more inviting if it was a little bigger. There was even a large room with approximate 3 full size snooker/pool tables. There is a swimming pool and fitness centre which we didn't use. Not sure about the food as we didn't eat in there. The hotel is approx 5 mins from the motorway and really easy to find. The only really negative thing I have is been ill as I would of loved to have gone walking in the beautiful grounds. I will definitely be using this hotel again as a base for when I'm visiting my daughter when she starts uni in September :-)

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback, Latimer is situated in such a beautiful spot, I like to say that we have the best views from the house in the company.

I am sorry that you were not very well and therefore did not get a chance to explore the area.
London
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a conference and to be honest, I was little disappointed. The exterior of the hotel looks impressive and it's set in lovely grounds, but the interior needs updating. The floorboards were creaky, many of the corridors could do with a lick of paint and the carpets were quite worn in places. Obviously it's an old building so it lends itself to a more traditional style of decor, but a lick of paint and new carpets would not detract from the atmosphere if the style was appropriate.

I was staying in the conference centre, which is more modern. But the room was tiny! It was a double room for single occupancy and I had trouble moving around it alone. It would be unbearable if two people were sharing it. And it was freezing! There were no extra blankets provided, so I had to resort to using the bathroom towels and my coat as in lieu of blankets just to get warm enough to sleep.

The hotel is comprised of several buildings - the main, old building, a conference centre and some additional rooms in a separate news building. This is fine, except that there is very little outside lighting, so if you are moving between the buildings at night as I had to do, you risk getting lost or stumbling on the cobblestones at night,

On the plus side, the staff were lovely, the service was prompt and the food was good. The wine however, was terrible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Oceandiver9
Thank you for you feedback regarding your stay at Latimer Place.

Over the last five years DeVere have invested over 4 million pounds into refurbishing our venue, this is constantly ongoing including painting every week. With such a large venue our decorations continue all of the time.

I am sorry that you were cold and suprised that we did not offer a blanket to keep you warm.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food although you were disappointed by the wine, the wine is selected by our group Food and Beverage team especially for DeVere and it does change on regular basis, so perhaps next time you will have a different selection.
Wolverhampton
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Main house and ground look lovely but inside it all looks dilapidated.... Dinin rgoom large and lacking atmosphere. Some nice public rooms in old house but not too many places to sit and relax Curiously set out and soulless though- a conference centre that doesn't seem that geared up to groups. Poorly signposted both from road and within building Took ages to check in. Got room in mews , very dark- backed onto a narrow path then high dense vegetation. Problem compounded by dark furniture and poor lighting plus some very noisy pipework. Not that clean looking so perhaps just as well lighting poor.
Food average - but we were part of a group so perhaps a la carte better. Wine had a mega mark up given that it was very average and in the case of wine bought in mews bar - poorly kept ..on a radiator may be

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room in mews especially if bar in use.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your posting on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us as a group. I am sorry that we cannot increase our signage due to us being in an area of outstanding beauty and every sign has to be authorised. We do try to ensure all our guests are offered site maps when they arrive so they can familiarise themselves with our three buildings. Over the last 5 years Latimer has received over 4 million pounds investment, the job of refurbishing such a large site is never ending and there will be more refurbishments planned in 2013.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
Chartridge Lodge
#1 of 2 in Amersham
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to De Vere Latimer Estate? Share your experiences!