“Christmas at Latimer Place”

De Vere Latimer Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Llantrisant, Wales, United Kingdom
“Christmas at Latimer Place”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our first frustration arose when the De Vere central booking office told us that we didn't have a reservation for Christmas. After being told that our booking didn't exist, we finally rang the hotel direct and gave the reservation number that I had recorded when we first made the booking. The staff discovered that our name had been booked in back to front ie Gordon Joan and that two separate bookings had been made by the reservation person. After a very nervous 2 hours of thinking we wouldn't be able to join our family for Christmas this problem was finally resolved but with no apology for the mistake.
We had requested a quiet room for our 4 day stay. Our allocated room was on the ground floor - the room adjoining ours was filled with several children who were left to play, slam doors and run riot over three days. The parents were in a room with a small baby two doors down the corridor. We complained twice to the staff but nothing was done about it. Surely it's illegal to leave little children alone all night in a room without a parent sleeping with them? In terms of our looking forward to a rest and possible sleep in - it was simply impossible. ..The saving grace of our Christmas stay was to be able to use the old library in the main house, the games room and the pool. Would we stay there again? I doubt it.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room in the old manor house.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay, I am sorry to hear that your reservation had not been taken correctly by our central booking service and I have forwarded your feedback to them. I am also sorry to hear about our allocation of bedrooms which I have found very surprising and dissappointing. I have not been able to find out why this happened and at this late stage I am sorry that children were allocated adjoining next door. I am wondering if you did request a change of room or brought this to our attention whilst with us.

I do hope that you will take the opportunity to visit Latimer again as I am sure that this is not something that will re occur and I am sure you will have a much more relaxing stay with us.

Kindest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Somerset UK
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have been to a number of specialised wedding venues in the past, some of which would have a starting price of triple what was charged, and yes I know that this was my youngest sons wedding.......... but it was fantastic from start to finish. We also have to bare in mind that this was 2 days before Christmas. Both myself and my father use crutches and the staff there could not have been more helpful, particularly as dad was mainly chauffered around in a golf buggy due to the distance from the 'listed venue' area to the rooms obviously built on for a hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful and whilst my dad is a typical plain english food guy he came out raving about the food. The evening buffet was also brought out in stages so no food was left lying around, the cheese board finished off the night, as well as the disco and a brilliant Michael Bouble tribute act. Wow is all I can say. I have also now discovered that the place is not very far from the 80% of the relations so we will be using again.
The atmosphere created was exactly what my new daughter-in-law wanted, so not only did the bride look beautiful but was made to feel special on her day.

Room Tip: Please make sure that you ask for disability help when ordering a room as the hotel side on the one...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I and my team are absolutely delighted your son and daughter in laws Wedding was a wonderful success. Your comments have been shared with everyone and it gives the team a real lift to hear so great feedback.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Latimer in the not too distant future.

With kindest regards
Pitstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My family and I stayed at the hotel mid week after an 85th birthday party there. Whilst the hotel was pretty much as expected, what struck me was how friendly and helpful the staff were. The reception staff, and the dining room staff all had time for a friendly word and were able to help out when required. The lady in the bar even went and made my mother in law a cup of milky coffee at gone midnight without charge. A really great experience in terms of the team there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am really pleased that you enjoyed such a great experience whilst staying following a birthday celebration. My team enjoy reading the postings on tripadvisor and will be delighted to read your comments.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have stayed at this venue twice in the last 5 weeks. It is not up to its billing. On both occasions we've been allocated a room, first of questionable size for 2 people ( a four foot double!) which we did manage to change rooms, and secondly after requesting a quiet room on booking and confirmed on checking in. However the disco finally shut down at 1 am and the general noise finally finished about 3am when I got up to move people away from outside our doorway. Yes it was a Christmas party, but why were we allocated a room in the Mews annex above the someone else's party area and in a separate building to our dining room (+100 metre outside walk in December)?
Overall both rooms looked tired and the bathrooms needed a refresh and removal of the mold from the tiles around the bath and repairs to the bath mixer taps would not come amiss. Quite why sufficient towels are not supplied is beyond me! The best bit of course is the comment card which asks for the bits you liked, however no pen is supplied, so making comments onto the card is challenging.
To finish on a positive, both dinners (for ~80 people and 175 people) were very good as were the buffet breakfasts. Getting a hot drink did prove to be a challenge on the first occasion, however there was self service tea and coffee for the second time and this meant you could get what you wanted when you wanted it. A definite improvement.
Overall would think very hard before returning to this venue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
twin2009, Front Office Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your feedback regarding Latmer Place, we do hope that overall you did enjoy your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you were dissappointed with your room and the location of the bedroom and we have shared your feedback with the maintenance and reservations team. Such constructive feedback does remind us how to offer great service in the future.

Kind regards
Yorkshire UK
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I spent two nights at the hotel with my family and found it restful and friendly. The rooms were adequate in size and in good condition. We ate dinner and found it very tasteful although two dishes were sent back as they were not hot enough. The library is a great place to relax with a great view over the village and countryside. Very good value for money

1 Thank gingerwanderer
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Latmer Place. I am sorry that you were not located in the main house on this ocasion. Unfortunately we have less bedrooms in this area and we do have to utilise all our buildings. We do try at every opportunity to allocate our guests in the right building and I am sorry that this did not happen to you during your stay with us. There should be pens in every bedroom and there should be ample towels and I have asked our housekeeper to look into this straight away.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our meals and service and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kent, England
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I deliver leadership training for a multinational construction business amongst others and regularly stay in hotels all across Europe. I have to say that this is the worst hotel I have stayed in this year. Why? Well it is not the staff. They seem much the same as usual, friendly and happy to help. Not the location, as even arriving in the dark the place looks amazing. No, it is the little details that really annoy. Like insisting on a credit card so I can order extras on my account. Every where else has been happy to accept my debit card - even last week. The room is shabby, with cobwebs and a broken toilet seat. There are stains on the walls and carpets. There is a large, noisy generator outside my window which keeps kicking in to life.
I will be talking to my client to see if we can switch venues for our programme in future as this does not feel like a special place to bring leaders to learn.
Shame, as I used to hold DeVere in high esteem

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Manley62
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I am very sorry and disappointed with your reveiw on tripadvisor and if you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to discuss this further. Unfortunately debit cards can not be checked for funds or if they are lost or stolen. We do ask for a credit card, however our guests can depart using debit cards and the credit card number is destroyed. I am also very sorry that you were disappointed with your accommodation and I have forwarded this information to my Head Housekeeper for further discussion. We do not wish to lose any business and we do take this feedback very seriously indeed.

Travelers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Walking from the car park it looks horrible, like it's full of really grotty bedsits. Each room opens to outside (albeit some of them with a overhang thing to protect from rain) and has a letterbox. Very ugly looking. Our room was outside and up concrete steps. Room 'quirky'. One side of room only height of door (which slants upwards) and the other side very hugh. No wardrobe, no drawers. Only space to put clothes away was the hanging pole in the bathroom. Who on earth wants to hang their clothes in a damp bathroom?! Couldn't shut light out of room due to the blinds at the high wall end not being able to be pulled down fully, so sunrise woke us up. Staff very friendly and free tea/coffee facility in lounge was lovely. Overall the room was quite depressing, wouldn't go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your posting, very unfortunately - I do not recognise the bedrooms that you are describing. None of our bedrooms are accessed from outside and they do not have letter boxes. The internal bedroom description doesn't appear to sound like Latimer also.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
Chartridge Lodge
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Denham Grove
Denham Grove
#1 of 1 in Denham

Been to De Vere Latimer Estate? Share your experiences!