“Best Bang for the bucks in Cuba. Awsome beach!”

Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
North Hatley, Canada
“Best Bang for the bucks in Cuba. Awsome beach!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was our second trip to Club Amigo Bungalows. We went there 14 years ago and have been to Cuba 7 times in all. This is a good 3 star. We stayed in the bungalows because it is central and has the best buffet of them all. We will probably try the villas next year. It is older and needs some sprucing up but we don't mind we are there for the sun & the beach. Most staff are very friendly and if you tip once in a while you will certainly get better service. Do remember that it is Cuba and they run on Cuban time and are never in a hurry. Buffet ok , pasta very good and so is the grill, restaurants ok. Pools, well we saw some green but we are not pool people. Many Canadians and that's a plus . Avoid bungalows close to the local disco, very noisy on Saturday & Sunday. Neat market in front. No problem for beach chairs. Many locals on beach but they are very friendly & nice. It helps to speak a bit of Spanish. If you want to go out ask Rodolpho one of the waiters; his son has a beautiful restaurant close by. It is called Balcones del Rey. A good tip: if you want to change your money into Cuban pesos do it right off and get more because the wait at the bank can be very long...

Room Tip: Go for a villa or a yellow or blue bungalow
3 Thank Patrick C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oakbank, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2014

First time in Guadalavaca,and 3rd time in Cuba.We knew we had to upgrade our room from reading Trip Advisor and it was money well spent.We stayed in Bungalows.Second floor was great.Front desk was helpful and treated us well.Food was good, always something to eat. If you are a foodie and that is a big part of your holiday then this may not be for you. They seemed to be shy on fresh fruit [pineapple,cantelope,water melon].Cuban food hasn't changed a lot in 20 years. A little bland.The first two days were hot, sunny, service was great and everyone was smiling. But then it rained for 4 days which shut things down. The shows at night were very good.The Cubans can dance so well. Horse and buggy was a fun and so were the hobby cats. Rooms were kept very clean and if there was a issue, they attended it.Even though it rained, we did have a very relaxing holiday and look forward to returning one day.

Room Tip: Bungalows or Villas are a must.Standard rooms a old and small.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Duane J
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2014

we went as a family of eight... 5 adults and 3 children ages 16, 10 and 7 it was way better then expected. great kids club, many activities for the children great entertainment at night for all ages and a nice little all inclusive disco. the food was repetitive but decent especially for Cuba. the rooms are ok quality of beds were different in each room. over all a great family resort and we would return.

Room Tip: get the room upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingmelody
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was our second trip to Cuba, first time to Holguin; traveled with my girlfriend. Having been to Cuba before, we knew what to expect - great service, friendly people and fantastic weather. For the most part, Club Amigo delivered on all three.

We had stayed at 4/5 star in Varadaro last year, so we had a good idea what to expect from a 3 star. I would say that minus the older portions of the resort and a little wear and tear here and there (completely understandable - it's Cuba) the resort is closer to a 4 star. For folks who have not been here before I will try and clarify how this place is set up since it's massive and there's lot of dated/misinformation out there about this place.

Firstly the resort is divided into 4 distinct sections, each, at one point in time, an individual resort of its own. The oldest and most basic is the "Barracks" section. Extremely basic and very old. I would not recommend to most people that they stay here - you're probably going to have a bad time and it would be much, much wiser to upgrade to the other parts of the resort. The best thing I can say about the barracks is that, despite their age and heritage (former Soviet army barracks), the grounds were very clean. There was a massive Olympic-sized pool that was very clean and well maintained, but again, very basic. Again, only stay in this section if you want to pay as little as possible and will be away from your room except to sleep.

A step up from the barracks is the main hotel. A lot of people were staying here and I heard mixed things. The rooms are a bit better than the barracks, but again they were on the smaller side and still quite basic. I think they offer a few more amenities like hair dryers, safes and fridges, but you have to pay extra if you want these items. The hotel is quite big and expansive with its own pool, bars, restaurants and entertainment area. If you're in a big group, like to party and be where the action is, consider the hotel (Gardenview and Tropical rooms). We found it to be quite loud when we were walking through the hotel, so if you have small children or want some peace at night, consider the other two sections I am about to cover instead.

The last two distinct sections of the resort is the Bungalow and Villa section. Having stayed in both, I can provide the most details about these two areas. We booked a bungalow for a week through Noli-tours and had the "Plus" option. Upon arrival we had a quart of rum, some soda, a chocolates and our beach towels ready to go. The bungalow we had was clean, had a working TV with a good selection of channels, a good sized bathroom and a balcony. If you want a safe or a fridge, it's extra. We paid for a safe, but decided we didn't really need the fridge. Now for the bad - when we got our room, it was great - the AC was working fine and we had plenty of running water. The second day we were there however, we discovered we had no control/remote for our AC which was stuck on 20 degrees. I was fine with this, however my girlfriend found it too cold at night even with an extra blanket. Also, on that day the water stopped working. I gathered this was a temporary issue, but when we came back that afternoon it was still not working. At this point, despite liking the room itself, we decided to upgrade. The bungalow section has lot of amenities and is where the main entertainment stage is - it's also a bit older (built in the 50s I think, but again, well maintained. I liked this section, but it's not the nicest area on the resort.

To upgrade, we went to the front desk of the bungalow section where the lady provided us with a room number in the Villas that we could check out before paying. We went over and met our maid for the rest of the trip (Mariela, she was lovely) and checked out the room - it was fantastic. We had a king sized bed, fridge, flat-screen TV, fully tiled bathroom with a deep tub and an en-suite. Everything worked without a hitch, we had full control over our AC, our safe worked great and so did all the locks. We were very happy and felt like our accommodations were well worth the 16 CUC per night cost (this is a flat rate, not per person). Definitely AT LEAST 4 star service in this section - you will not be disappointed.

The villas also had the nicest pool section and is next to the 24 hour snack bar and "El Benny", where we had a delicious breakfast each morning. We spent a lot of our time in this area and enjoyed it a lot. It is also the closest section to beach, along with the hotel section. From here you can walk along the large paved walkway to either the hotel, the beach or next door to the Brisas.

The beach was great, lots of places to sit and enjoy the sun. Please be careful and use some common sense though - do not take valuables to the beach and leave them unattended. Some local beggars will take your stuff. 90% of the locals are cool, but there are certainly people who see you as waking dollar signs. Also, do not walk the main pathway at night. We were only a few feet outside of the villa section, walking towards the hotel just before dusk and were approached by two locals trying it on. Luckily security is always close by - they had the police with them and the two men were arrested. Again this happened FEET away from the main Villa section at approximately 7pm - the two men weren't very smart. Kudos to security.

All in all we had a great time with a few minor mishaps. Smile, be patient and understand that you are in a 3rd world, communist country. Most of the people have NOTHING, so please understand that when things go wrong. If someone is rude to you or ignoring your requests, look at how you are asking them and then if it's not your fault, find someone else to help you. There is always someone willing to give you a hand, sometimes you just have to find the right person.

The food was fine, we had 5 a la cartes booked - we went to 4 of them and enjoyed each one. The snack bar was great - always fresh burgers, fries, pizza, spaghetti and fruit - we preferred it to going to the buffets most times, which were fine themselves.

I recommend this resort to anyone who understands and appreciates the real Cuba.

We traveled March 29th - April 6, flew from Halifax direct to Holguin.

Room Tip: Best to worst: Villas, Bungalow, Hotel, Barracks.
8 Thank James M
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was the break we needed. After the winter we had this year coupled with a long few years without any holiday, Club Amigo and the staff there especially, helped us to have the rest, relaxation and fun we needed to recharge our depleted batteries.
Those wanting butler service and cordon bleu fine dining - pay another 2000 per person and go somewhere else. this place isn't for you. Those who want to experience a beautiful place with what has to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world while meeting some of the warmest and kindest human beings on the planet - all for about 550 taxes in - this is the place for you.

We travelled on the 26th of march 2014 and returned (sadly) on the 2nd of April.
The trip was all inclusive - so flights, room, transfers, food, drinks, watersports - all in that low price.
The restaurants were beautifully clean, all waitstaff were helpful and friendly, bars stocked plenty for everyone. Please note, the quality of the food served will not be the same as it is in canada. It is all very plain but you will always find something to fill you up.

Highlight of the trip was the day we went to the dolphin sanctuary and swam with them.

The on site tour reps will offer you a package that includes bus, ferry to the sanctuary, dolphin show and then a swim with them. costs 129 per person CUC.

My wife and I met two new friends who also wanted to do the swim. The three girls grabbed a horse and buggy for the ride out while I decided to do the moped thing. Their taxi cost 24 between the three of them - return - my moped was 15.

when we arrived at the sanctuary, we found that the "swim" was in a deep pool with lifejackets and 9 other tourists to 1 dolphin. 100 CUC (pesos)

After talking to the man with the clipboard, he told us that we could instead do the "interactive" experience. 69 pesos. We opted for that and so pleased we did!!!!

We waded out into waist deep water with a trainer and 2 dolphins - Doris and Brenda. We interacted, played held them all with no lifejackets and a dolphin for each pair. Absolutely magical.

I could go on and on and on about this trip. But nothing will beat the reality of being there.

Thanks again to all who made it possible

Pete and Liz

Room Tip: Stayed in the Bungalows. Close to the stage so if you want to sleep early bring ear plugs
2 Thank Peter C
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed there from Nov27-Dec3, I went by my self and it was my first time. I stayed in the "barracks" as everyone likes to call them, which are the garden view rooms. I had an amazing time at this resort and I'm going again next week for 10 days. Overall the rooms were kept clean and I had no issues. I did go on the the horse and buggy rides and a lot of the locals were kind and very helpful although most of them thought I was Cuban since I'm East African. The food wasn't all that great but overall I had a wonderful trip with no problems and look forward to my next stay since I've met many friends Cuban and Canadian as well as others from various countries. And yes the French Canadians not all but most need to act right they are very obnoxious and rude when their drinking, so please people let's all show some Canadian class. Other then that I highly recommend the resort since there is so much to do and most it is free.

• Stayed November 2013
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was a terrible experience. We paid the extra for the tropical section and when we arrived we had trouble from the start. They were rude when we were checking in. The wifi did not work so there was no way of contacting home unless you wanted to pay $2 a minute(which we did). Our balcony door did not close and I could see under the door from the bed. We requested a king and did not get it but that was ok. When I lifted the sheets there was a stained and bloody mattress underneath. The other couple we traveled with had to switch rooms 4 times because of broken beds and broken air conditioners. And for everyone thinking they didn't clean the room right because we didn't leave a tip? We did. Everyday. The food was disgusting. Every morning I would wake up and get eggs then for lunch I would eat spaghetti and then again for supper. That was my meal plan for the entire miserable week I was there. The "24 hour snack bar" opened at 9pm every night. The staff did not want to talk to you the whole time. We had a reservation for the a la carte (which is the same place as the 24 hour bar) and we were informed by another person who was there that they had dropped our meal on the floor and picked it up brushed it off and put it back on the plate and served it to us. (Bad right?) when we confronted the waiter about it she said no no, picked it out ran out back and was not seen again until we were walking away. On our final day we had won the late check out and were doing a double check on the room to see if we had forgotten anything and the maid pushed us out of the room and screamed at us. I was not content at all. I got a hold of sun wing and all they said was oh ok we will give you $100 off your next trip. Thanks a lot. It was when we got home and booked our trip again we found out that we were not the only ones this happened to. There was a stack of $100 vouchers for unsatisfied customers. and this was only in our little town of maybe 900 people .... Hope this helped. Avoid at all costs !!!!

Room Tip: Choose a Villa. I heard they get better service.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Miranda T

Travelers are raving about these Guardalavaca hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!