“Third trip to this hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Ottawa, Canada
“Third trip to this hotel”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I had stayed at this hotel the week of Dec. 4/2013-Dec. 11/2013. I gotta tell you there is something magical about this hotel. I would like to give my shout outs to Magdelena, Animation team, Alex (from the pool bar), some of the bartenders from the lobby bar. Pumba the DJ, and some of the workers at the hotel.

I can't complain about this trip, one of the best hotels, and trips I have had to Cuba. The only thing is I would like to complain about is a couple of encounters with a rude receptionist, and one from the mini table near the lobby store. I was like geez, take a chill pill.

Pool volleyball was amazing, so was the aerobics, and stretching, and bingo.....

I would definitely go back. I would like to stay 10 days-14 days the next time. I was sad to leave this hotel

Room Tip: Ask to be in the lobby rooms (topical area the best)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SJAL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

spent a week in the bungalows... food was a lot better than I expected (I heard horror stories about the Cuban food being bland and so so but I had no problem with anything I ate)... the little snack bar even had pizza and poutine... staff was friendly and kept me laughing for the whole seven days... Pacho (bartender) was the coolest dude I have met in a long time... only thing I didn't like was the rain that we encountered off and on for a week... out of the ordinary for the time of year we went (January)... on the plus side you can still drink mohito's and beer whether it's sunny, overcast or rainy... oh and 30 degrees beats -40 degrees any day... I will definitely be going back again next year!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank apeman24
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

There are really no words to express how awful this resort is....

I had been to "Varadero" Cuba once before and did not have that great of experience before back in Sept 2011....but I thought I would give it another chance as I had heard positive things about "Holguin" and as I usually travel to "Punta Cana" and "Jamaica" they were very high priced this year and Cuba seemed the best option for my budget....Boy was I wrong!

Our vacation was from February 20-27th and it's only been 5 days since we arrived home but everything is still fresh on my mind....also I hope that what we experience as guests will be helpful and useful for the next guests debating whether this Resort/Hotel will be suitable for them....

Getting to the point....There are 2 section (parts to the hotel) Bungalow and the main area where you will check into to...When we arrived at the airport we were all given a schedule detailing which section of our room we will be checking into....The bus dropped us off at the "Main Reception" area where we were to check into our rooms....The minute we arrived the hotel staff told us that we were suppose to be dropped off at the "Bungalow" section and this was not the section we were to check into.....

My mother had been to this resort before and she knows the resort, the rooms and how it works... when were purchased this trip with our travel agent, we specifically asked for the main area, which was written and made aware to the hotel....this was not the case when we arrived and they gave us an extremely hard time, very rude, did not want to help at all and demanded we leave and go to the bungalows as they would no longer help us....The front desk staff also would ignored us when it was convenient for then and would no longer acknowledge us because they didn't care what we had to say....

At that point we demanded they change our room, they eventually called their manager and then told us we needed to pay 12$ extra to stay in this section of the hotel....We told them to take us to the room and we would deal with this tomorrow as we were exhausted! This room (4010) was small, outdated and was beyond loud as the walls were paper thin and you could hear yelling and screaming all night...to top it off there was no hot water!

The next morning, we met with our reps "Raoul" and Bertha" from "Transat" and they advised us they would handle this matter for us....needless to say he did get them to wave the 12$ extra fee at first but then was no where to be found later on .....The lady at the front desk said we no longer needed to pay this fee but then later changed her mind the next day....I cannot continue to express how frustrating and exhausting this staff was.....

Eventually we had had enough and with constantly fighting for a decent room said they had a room available for us....we asked for "Ocean View" and they kept saying it was not available but later on gave it to us after constant pursuing them. They charged us 17$ extra per night.....

The room (2049) was a lot better from what we been in before so we were happier because it had hot water, flat screen tv and a better view but had this nasty smell in the bathroom and the beds you could feel the springs when you slept.....

What I will say is this ....I have learned a valuable lesson and will not be returning to Cuba or Club Amigo anytime soon....I have already written the Hotel directly and will be speaking with the head of the company when I am able to....I want to make sure this does not continue to happen to other guests as their bad attitude and rude nature is not necessary or acceptable to me or should be this resort....Those employees should be fired!

*PLEASE BE WARNED* that I am not one to complain unless it is necessary and I don't require much but when I am paying over 800$ for my stay in a place, then I want to be comfortable and at least get what I paid for....If you are the same way as me...don't go to this resort, please spend the extra money and go to "Dominican" or "Jamaica" as I have been going there for years and have never had any complaints....It is so much more worth your money

I agree completely with the last review, as he seemed to have experienced the same things as I....Also I was advised by certain guests that this resort used to be run by a Canadian staff about 2 years ago and have recently changed the management and was told a young Cuban manager is running this facility and does not care about his guests, he refused to fix anything and has a very poor attitude as well...It all makes sense!!!!!

With all that said....make your choices wisely and I hope your experience is better than mine but the rooms are awful especially (garden view) along with the food....there is not that much to choose from, not even buns, the butter is disgusting and I would advise bringing your own peanut butter and ketchup and they always run out of everything....

Hope this helps anyone looking for details regarding this Hotel.....

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are better, although noisier and close to main lobby Garden View rooms ar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Mel K

Travelers are raving about these Guardalavaca hotels

Bracebridge, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

To whom it may concern
A group of us just returned from here and the servers were good . They speak better english than most resorts we have been to .
The maid service was good , they did a very good job .
The food for Cube was better than average . Go to the snack bar and ask for Eddie , He is a very nice guy and will give you good advice that will help make your stay more pleasant .
The snorkeling and diving is amazing .
Now the front desk is another story . Worse check in ever and they are less than helpful .
-Room not ready for 4 hrs
-No water or pop supplied in room as promised
-Had to find are own building , not an easy task considering the size of the place .
-No porters to help
-Asked about water, told to go buy some at store
-Store closed
-Store open next day but only takes CUC and bank is out of cash .
-Nice guy trades me some cash so I can buy water for are group of 8
-If you need anything go to your Rep and let them handle it . it will save you some grief .
Not a fan of the front desk , but the rest made up for it . Still chances are I,ll never return

Room Tip: Villas are the nicer rooms and closer to the beach .
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ralph K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We returned to Holguin Cuba again this year stayed at the same resort, The weather was awesome, We took are daughter and her boyfriend they enjoyed it said it was a great place beautiful beaches , great people met a lot of new people even some from are own city, Every day was 90 degrees only had a I/2 hour rain on the last day we where leaving, Food was great ,pools awesome nightly entertainment was wonderful as well, This time we rented a taxi for the day and went in to the city of Holguin Cost $60.00 Canadian for the day we went to the cigar factory and other popular tourist locations thru out the city we went to the market square right in the heart of Holguin was excellent to go thru the shops see all the venders, Great time had by all no complaints room clean ,well maintained,excellent food , Will definitely return again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Villa, Excellent choice,But the Bungulows are nice as well just a little smaller and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank sandra d
Stouffville
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Most of the complaints seem to be from individuals staying in the main hotel. They were not willing to pay I think it was $80 more for the bungalows, a bottle of rum in the room. three a la carte dinners etc. Rating as advertised and in Cuba this is great value. If you want five star dinning go somewhere else and pay twice as much. Beach is great, market right at the hotel has lots to choose from and good prices. Food is quite good and we found service quite good as well. Take a cab to the fishing village and local farm for less than half the cost of excursion. Michael who has a black 54 Buick convertible was great, and you should be able to find him in front of the market. For the two of us it included horseback ride visit to local farm and he is very knowledgable about the area and local history. With Nolitours and Berta was great and answered all of our questions always with a smile. Holguin is not much, and we would have not taken his cab there for the day had we known...... go out and see Cuba and the locals. WHere else can you go in upgraded class all in for two for less than $1,600?? Will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Douglas S
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

It was our first time anywhere down south, and we're glad we came to Club Amigo! The rooms were okay, but we didn't spend a lot of time in there so we didn't mind that they weren't great. The food was great, my friend has a sensitive stomach and she never got sick! The service at some of the snack bars could have been better, but the staff were friendly. There were always chairs available on the beach except for one day, but we found a pool that always had extras so we didn't mind sitting there for the day. We had heard so many bad things like "avoid the water, the beer, such and such food" but everything was really great!
The buffet was okay. Nothing special but wasn't terrible. The a la carte restaurants (which you need to make a reservation for usually well in advance) were all really good! We went to 3 and they were all super delicious and the service was excellent!
Our room was cleaned everyday and the entire resort was always super clean. However my friend thinks her wallet was stolen in our room... so definitely invest in getting the safe!

Would definitely recommend this resort =)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Miss M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!