“First Trip to Cuba”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Virden, Canada
“First Trip to Cuba”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Our group (4 adults aged 40s - 60s and a 20 month old boy) made our way via Sunwing's Champagne flight from Winnipeg to Holguin Jan 7/14 - Jan 14/14. Other than an extremely rough landing at the airport (perhaps the crew needs some rest?) at 3 in the morning, the flight there was relatively good. Arrangements on to the shuttle to the hotel were very organized. Check in was another situation....with our 20month old in hand we were the last to check in as we were quickly shoved to the back of the line by our oh so pleasant fellow Canadians (what happened to us - is it the winter?). We actually had to review the computer printout to find our reservation as the handwritten room card was nowhere near the spelling of our name and had our child's first name as the main occupant. And we did have some communication issues as our attendant seemed to speak very little English (or perhaps we were so exhausted at this point, no language would have made sense!). We would definitely learn Spanish for a next trip. We had upgraded to a Villa when booking and were quite happy with it (3212 - close to Atlantico and Children's club & our friends were in 9107 - complete ocean view which is what I had requested!). We had a crib waiting for us which our son slept wonderfully in. Warning to overly protective parents: the crib is from the 50's with paint chipping (probably lead LOL) and wider spaced bars, so bring your own if this bothers you. Highly recommend Buffet 1720 in the bungalow section - always something good to eat. As well, the snack Bar at the Cantina in the villa section served the best fish and chips we have ever eaten. And we ate that nearly every day of our 7 days for lunch as we considered this a treat! We had our a la carte's at La Vegetariano (fantastic!!) and Benny More (also quite good!). Spent most of our time at the pool in the Villa section as it seemed quieter than the others and enjoyed the beach. Unfortunately, I became ill our first day (influenza from the plane ride down), so I am trying to be fair to the resort and staff in my rating. We had 2 different housekeepers during our week - one was above excellent, the other was there to do her job which is fine, but I am glad I kept track of the number of towels in our bathroom as she claimed we were "missing" one. (Our friends experienced missing towels and bath mats on various days). I explained that she had only left 3 the previous day and we had no reoccurrences. Just a note: we had a refrigerator in our room but no water was stocked. An insulated carafe was supplied in our room with 2 water glasses that we could fill at the bars. We also had shampoo, conditioner and body lotion in our bathroom (large containers - not sure of the quality as we had brought our own). We only ever had bath towels supplied (no facecloths or handtowels) which is not an issue, but just something we are used to in our N.A. hotels. Excellent service at the buffets, cantina and a la carte's 90% of the time. Our tips represented our appreciation of the service. Our last night, we were the first seating at the 1720 buffet and experienced a power outage - we managed to finish our meal in the dark, but the 100 or so people in line were out of luck as the staff could not seat more people (no emergency lighting & no way to cook more food). Not sure if the power was restored that night as we had to find a place to hang out until midnite (we couldn't extend our stay past 4pm and we were to catch our shuttle at midnite for our 350am flight back to Wpg.) which is no easy feat with a 20 month old. This is a Sunwing issue, however, not Club Amigo's. Lucky for us, there are canopied beds all around the resort which allowed our child to sleep for a few hours.
Overall, we had great weather and the people of Cuba were extremely generous and kind towards us and our little one. Our friends (who are not well travelled) would love to return to this resort. I would give it a try again, hopefully with better health and maybe a different airline! Club Amigo is huge and I would really like the opportunity to explore it more - perhaps a 2 week stay next time? If you are looking for beautiful beaches, great pools and wonderful bars stay here! We also recommend it for families (although we did not make use of it, we spoke with families there that highly recommended the kids club at the resort).

Room Tip: Upgrade to Villas when booking - we overheard people trying to upgrade when they arrived and the Vil...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Michelle W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Saskatchewan
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went with a friend and my teenage granddaughter. We paid the extra for a sea view room and a fridge and were glad we did. We were on the 4th floor and our room had been updated. We had friends who did not pay the extra and their rooms were not nearly as nice. In one room the air conditioning could not be turned off. The only problem with being on the 4th floor was that there was only one functioning elevator and because some guests would not listen to max. capacity signs it often broke down. Although the staff fixed the problem quickly it was problematic for us because both my friend and myself have mobility problems. As a rule though we did not experience any problem getting around the resort. The resort also supplies a cart to help its guests get from one area to another
The staff in general were very pleasant and made us feel welcome. They work hard for very little money and we tipped generously. Having said this I believe their kindness was not because of tipping. I have found that if you are pleasant and polite they respond in kind.
The entertainment staff tried very hard to keep us entertained. My granddaughter kept busy and we went to many of the evening shows. The black light show is not to be missed. There is a special dinner for returning guests and it was wonderful. Having said this. I did not see much for younger children and that is something I look for as I sometimes take my 8 year old grandson with us. There is a smaller pool for younger children. There is a nice little flea market that sells tourist things right beside the hotel. The hairdresser on the second floor does a really nice job braiding hair.
Now on to food. The two a la carts that were open were alright and served as a break from the buffet. The snack bars were good and we usually ate lunch there. The 24 hour snack bar does not serve food all the time unlike what the name suggests. Although it may be open there are times when it does not serve food which is inconvenient if you missed breakfast. You will not starve here but the buffet gets very boring as they serve the same meals day after day. There is usually not a problem with line ups except for the weekends when many locals come to the resort. During this time there was also a problem with the resort running out of some of the more popular foods.
This resort does allow locals to stay. I know that some people had mixed emotions about this especially with the crowding that occurred on the weekends. During the week there is no problems getting a lounge chair around the pool on the weekends there may be some difficulty in finding one. We met some nice Cubans and took the opportunity to learn more about their country.
In general we had a good time but do not know if we will be returning.

Room Tip: Be sue that you pay the extra to have a tropical sea view room as the rooms are much nicer and updat...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank minpin955
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Was here Dec. 23 to Jan.6th. First thing we encountered was the exceptionally rude reception staff and they never got any nicer for the 2 weeks we were there. The young man that took our luggage to the villa was amazingly nice. The resort was very clean inside and out. Maid service was very goo and the maids were very friendly. Maybe they should trade places with the reception people for a while . Club Amigo is a very large resort. It took us 2 days to find out where the nightly entertainment was because the resort is not too heavy into putting sights up for anything and the brochure that you are given with a sort of map is outdated. I enjoyed getting away from the cold so I did overlook the bad and accepted any good if I could find it. Every review I read before I left talked about how bad the food was. It was true for the Lobby buffet but the 1720, snack bar and Benny Moores were much better eateries. I hadn't been to Cuba since the early 70's and I was very impressed with the good changes that have occurred since then. Most of the people seem genuinlly happy with there jobs even though they make such a small wage. I don't know though if I would go back to Cuba. Yes the prices are right and I'm not a 5 star diva so I would really have to think about it. It's safe, clean and reasonably price but was rather boring. The way Trip Advisor has their rating scale is not fair to all the staff at resorts. I feel it should be broken into categories ie: reception, wait staff and cleaning staff to be fair to all.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa on an end. The rooms are much bigger and it doesn't matter if it's 1st or...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrekkieWindsor
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

So here I was facing the prospect of navagating through endless possibilities of where to take a much needed holiday, it had been more than 14 years since I have left Canada and was extremely nervous to give my money to a vacation resort with mixed reviews, simply said it's advisable to upgrade at any type of resort if one is to expect the ultimate fantasy of waking up to Palm trees and an ocean view, Club Amigo and Sunwing Vacations made this an amazing and memorable experience we were immediately upgraded to an oceanview villa (highly recommend this) due to my girlfriend just fresh from knee surgery and it was an angel from above (Maria) at the front desk of club amigo atlantico that started our vacation of to the best place I ever could have arrived at with the blinders on, snack bar service was incredible !!!! food was amazing!! (bring your own ketchup lol) clean rooms and incredible washroom!! I'm a heavy guy (not fat just big) and a mattress critic I'd give the beds a 7 out of 10 everything worked and the "weather was great'' whew!!! -majority of the staff were friendly and seemed to like their jobs the maids and bar staff extremely pleasant people whom showed allot of pride and the gardens were kept impeccable by the landscape staff also very proud hard working people!
The beach although small was very clean for a public access beach it seemed private and most guests chose the shared much larger beach at the next resort accessible from ours by way of a short 2 min walk along the beautiful pathways or coastline if preferred, security is tight during the night time so don't pull anything stupid here!' Scooters and taxis as well as car rentals were readily available on site currency exchange was a breeze and the staff were amazing!!' Pool areas just like the ads and lots off them...book your a la carte restaurants asap when arriving or miss it altogether!! You can always rely on the buffets it's well worth it and you will never be dissapointed !! Thank you Club Amigo Guardalacava :-) :-) :-)
From :coffee milk Lmao

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cloudrunner71
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2014

So we've stayed in 3.5 hotels in Cuba before so we knew it wasn't going to be a luxury resort. When we arrived we were given no information except a map that everyone we talked to said was useless so we spent the first 1/2 hour trying to find our room even after asking many people who were working there. We were first booked in the barracks (garden View) and the room was awful, looked like bates motel. Taps didn't work, door didn't shut properly, A/C unit held in with a piece of wood like it could fall out any minute, walls and floors looked stained and dirty. We eventually upgraded (after having to talk to a few people at the front desk) and it was much better in the bungalows, though they were what I would consider a 3 star room anyway (barracks a 1.5 star at best). The staff was very friendly except the last day when our cleaning lady who had been very nice the whole time was very hostile with me over a mix up with the towels (where we had changed rooms) and basically accused me of taking them. The food was pretty good, its Cuba so it all depends on the season and what is available to them at that time but there were lots of selection so you could definitely find something to eat. The A la Cartes were basically all the same food wise even though they were portrayed as different themes. The beach was very nice, clean. It rained 3 of the days we were there and there wasn't much to do then. they didn't have anything on the go till the evening, no live music or activities that we could find when it was raining. The resort was HUGE so you could definitely explore and find new places, but also if you don't want to walk 20 min to something then its not the resort for you.
Overall we probably wouldn't return here. Like I said we've been to Cuba many times and yes you get what you pay for but for this resort it depends on what section/room type you are in.

Room Tip: do not book in the barracks...at least not in the section we were in building 5...apparently the roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy04082014
Cambridge
Reviewed January 25, 2014

2nd time same place. Jan. 18 arrive rain but sunny. Happy cubans jan.19 double header baseball game in holguin 3 $ front row seats what a great time lots of fan energy, accessible players.good snorkelling. Lots of swim out locations don't miss all the fabulous house restaurants good value slow food warm friends! Go enjoy safe wonderful people. Many more vists for us to come!

Room Tip: Away from noise French bars
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank vikinghunter
Tavistock, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We went with a group of 17 people to Club Amigon Guardalavaca and stayed in the Bungalows. Some of us had been there many times and for some it was the first time. As always, we had a fantastic time and the newbies really enjoyed themselves. We always had great food. I am not sure why people complain about the food in Cuba. There is always something for everyone to eat. The rooms are always clean and we always look past the little problems. After all we only spend a small amount of time in our rooms. The staff at CA are always very helpful and because we have been there so many times we know many of the people who work there. We had a problem one night with not being able to get our whole group into a special dinner because they overbooked it so the two Nolitours reps "Bertha and Jorge" worked very hard to get us a private room and an awesome lobster dinner at no extra charge. If your are going to this resort please look past the negative reviews and judge it for yourself. Remember that Cuba is a communist country and they don't have access to all of the things that we do. The locals are fantastic and it was a great time had by all.

Room Tip: We really like the Bungalows because they are a small step up from the Hotel and the Barracks but no...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Maria N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Islazul Villa Don Lino
Islazul Villa Don Lino
#4 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!