“Don't go” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
North Wales
“Don't go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Well sorry if you have already booked but if you haven't please go somewhere else
I'm from the UK travelled with my two teenage children and husband
I am fairly well travelled having been to Cuba once before Dominican rep Egypt Sri Lanka Thailand and most of Europe
Honest opinion is this has to be the worst hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world
The attitude of the staff on only giving service if you tipped heavily has left me with a really bad feeling towards the Cuban people
No where else that I have ever been to have I been made to feel like a second class citizen
When we were there the hotel was invaded by relatives of the staff on free holidays
These local people would push in th queues, fill up ruck sacks with food from the buffet putting in whole cakes and meat in vast quantities
In the bars my children and ourselves were frequently ignored and not served unless we kicked up a fuss
The hotel is also very run down, dirty and tired
Beach is ok but a public beach and lots of locals who have had bottles of rum passed out to them by staff at the hotel
Some of the rooms look like prison rooms as half the hotel is so run down
No mint for 2weeks for mojitos
Please take my advice, go somewhere else this is a hotel from hell

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank SueJones1965

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Cuba seven times never book five star ,have never paid more than $600 all inclusive. I would not go back to this hotel , I read a lot of the reviews before , so wasn't expecting a jewel , I was not impressed at all. We had originally booked a standard room, definitely do not do this.Ask at the front desk , for 6 pesos a day you can upgrade to Tropical room which was much better. On arrival in the standard room there was a dead cockroach in the middle of the really small room. We upgraded the next morning and as we moved our luggage we saw 5 more dead ones in the hallway. The food was as expected in Cuba, we did not starve. The biggest complaint we had , the front desk staff and bar staff seem to ignore patrons who cannot speak Spanish. Other people on our flight complained of same problem, we stood in line quietly waiting our turn as Canadians do, only to have a patron jump up to the front of the line ramble on in Spanish and be served immediately. It is very disrespectfull,a and rude and just convinces people that this hotel doesn't really want your money(whether you tip or not). Housekeeping staff did do an excellent job for the whole week, and buffet staff all very friendly. Also other than volleyball in the pool , I did not see or hear a whole lot of other activities going on. As I said at the beginning the are many hotel deals in Cuba you can get for same cheap price , so go elsewhere.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank farleyw

Travelers are raving about these Guardalavaca hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have to say this was one of our favorite trips to Cuba. We have been to Cuba (different areas) 5 times now. I traveled with my 2 sons ages 14 and 17 as well as my sons friend. We had 2 rooms and were upgraded to a Villa which is a must in my opinion. You get a fridge and a hairdryer in the room. They are spacious and clean. My son met someone in the Garden rooms and he said they were nothing compared to our rooms. No hairdryer or fridge and very small.
The maids do a great job.

The food is typical for Cuba but I must say they had less choice than other resorts we have been to. The pizza was good in the snack bar when available. We always can find something to eat and this resort was no different.

We had no issues with service. Staff always served us and were pleasant.

We did 2 excursions. There is a little "train" that comes by the hotel in the morning and it cost 10 cuc to go. The trip was abut 2 1/2 hours long. They stopped along the way so we could hand our toys out to the kids along the way. I really enjoyed this trip as I always like to get into Cuba and get away from the resort. We saw a local doctor's office,local family, etc. I highly recommend this. We also went with the same company to Holguin. Cost was 15 cuc. You spend 2 hours in the city and it was okay but I liked the train better.
There are lots of excursions you can do through your rep as well. The trips we did were just someone who comes by the hotel in the morning.

This was a great trip for me to just relax and read. The kids had fun and were able to do their own thing as well. If I was into returning to a resort I would return here. I had no complaints and really enjoyed my vacation. We paid $650.00 each taxes in for the week. Cheapest price I could find for the week we were going. My only suggestion is to upgrade your room. I am not looking for fancy but basics are needed. We were all happy with the villa. This is a huge resort and it depends on what areas are open due to the season.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandra H
Windsor, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I'm not going to sit here and say I had high expectations of this resort. I had a few weeks to save up for the trip and I figured I'd say at a cheaper three star hotel and have more money for excursions, rather than staying at a five star and having little spending. The actual resort grounds are fairly decent actually, I might even say it exceeded my expectations. I upgraded to a tropical room which definitely did the job. The bathroom was nice apart from the lack of hot water for two of the mornings. Again, not a huge deal, Cuba is hot so I guess I could look on the bright side and see it as a way to cool off. The food wasn't horrible, but because it's the off season and there's basically one buffet, the choices don't really vary greatly from day to day. It was sub-par food, but definitely edible and I never got the "Cuba food sickness" that everyone seems to get. Unfortunately I did have to wait in a line one of the days for the dinner buffet which was mildly frustrating, but I got over it. The staff in the buffet area are generally pretty nice although there were a few times they were somewhat unattentive. Not going to lie, I preferred the buffet to the a la carte (El Benny More). The a la carte had good wine and nice soup, but the actual main course was a bit average. The snack bars are what you would expect from a snack bar: hamburgers, fries, alcohol, and long waits (half an hour for a burger) during times when the buffet isn't open.

As far as the beach, it was a very nice beach albeit slightly busy on some of the days due to being public. It was fairly clean as well but you have to expect a tiny bit of litter because of the amount of people there who don't necessarily always respect the area. The pool was a nice area and was never too busy, but there were always people there to socialize with and the bar had good staff and very strong drinks (as with the rest of the resort actually).

Now, the BAD part of this resort was the staff. Not ALL the staff, but some where absolutely horrible. The front desk was completely unattentive, it took two hours to get our room after a forty minute wait at the desk because of a certain employee continuously cutting us off and attending to other business. I'm a very patient person and as I said, I didn't have super high expectations of this resort to begin with, but the front desk was ridiculous. Then there was the matter of the three pesos we got ripped off. Okay, three pesos isn't a big deal but we asked for 1 hour worth of Internet, which cost 6 pesos. When we got to the computer room (which has horrible internet connection), we realized it was only half an hour so we went back to the front desk and asked for our other half hour, and we were basically told we were lying about paying six pesos and "too bad nothing we can do about it." It's really unfortunate that the employees have to stoop to that level especially when we were tipping VERY generously to everyone. Then there was the matter of the lost towel and the "I'm not letting you check out until you pay for it." So, fine, the towel was our responsibility and we lost it. But, fifteen pesos? Sorry, but the white towels in the room are worth about 5 pesos at the most. So we complained to guest services about that as well as the internet card once again, but were told "too bad." The l least they could have done was taken the three pesos we had stolen from us off the price of the towel, but no. Unfortunately it seemed like many people had this towel issue and we even heard the front desk saying they wouldn't cut off the bracelets or let the people on the bus to the airport if they refused to pay. The waitresses in the a la carte were pretty bad as well, they really were not good at pretending they wanted to be there.

Apart from a few issues with the customer service, we did have a good time. We paid about $600 each excluding excursions, and how can you go wrong? All inclusive food, pool, alcohol, beach, and entertainment. But the customer service could certainly be improved!

I DO HAVE TO SAY THOUGH, CHECK OUT CHATEAU AMIGO. It's not inclusive (ten pesos a piece for wine tasting and cheese), but it's a really chill atmosphere and the gentleman that works there really was the highlight of our experience at this particular resort. Super fun guy, we tipped him probably $25 and spent many hours there our last couple of nights after we bothered to check it out. Certainly worth the price! The horse driven taxis outside the resort are also worth it for ten pesos for a tour of Guardalavaca.

But yes, three words of advice: don't go in with high expectations and you won't be disappointed, don't chug the drinks because they're about 20% juice and 80% alcohol, and don't lose your towel!

Room Tip: Tropical rooms are probably the best split between location and value
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LFTL
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am a versatile traveler, I can go to 1500$/week five stars and also in cheaper hotels like this one at 600/week. If i had the same service and experience when I pay 1500$ I'd be super disappointed but in this case you pay for what you get. If you just want 1 week of fun and party time all inclusive i'd say this is the best place. I go there once a year with friends to just chill and when i go on family trips with the wife and kids I go to more family oriented and classier resorts. All in all if this was suuuuuuch a messy hole like people say it is cause in their heads when they pay 600$ they expect the Royal suite at hilton,,, well I wouldn't of gone there 7 times so far!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Matt R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Dennis their-porter" amazing helpful and service with a smile
Yoannys -Security always a smile
Marelis -Alcarte reservation helpful-service with smile
Odaysis front sesk- helpful
Head of maintenance always made sure facility looked good and many staff who served with a smile.
Overall a a happening place. in the heart of Guardalavaca
There is good potential for improvement in the food as the buffet does get boring
The welcome(return guests dinner) amazing. good pools and beach
Will surly go back!!!! They need a charlcol bbq at the beach area during lunch would be nice

Room Tip: love the Villa section. especially Villa 1, View oxcean view Villa 5 give you ocean view and close t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hi All,

I was back in Cuba in May and July, same old same old in Guadalvaca. Club Amigo staff brillant as ever, however i have to share a new hidden treasure and trip worth taking while in Holguin.

I rented at a private house in Gibara Cuba, the house was owned by a gentleman names "Enrique", this was the best thing i have ever done in Cuba, i spent days in Gibara touring the town, the country, spectacular nightlife and very safe.

Enrique and his wife own an old Colonial estate that faces the mountains and oceans, a beautiful breeze in the evenings and truly the best hosts ever. Enrique is an amazing cook, presents romantic dinners with a view of the ocean. The home is a walk across the street from a beautiful beach and bar for beers or water (or a bite to eat).

I highly recommend whether a couple or single to contact Enrique and book some time in his home for a couple of nights while in Cuba, it takes you away from the typical resort stuff and provides you with stunning accomdations, great food and a new Cuba to discover. If ypu like to party Saturday is the night in Gibara you can walk to the discos in 5 mins from Enrqiues house. It's all legit and there is no problem for tourist in this town, i am a woman and was fine to walk on my own.

Enrique speaks limited english but if you call he will manage. The rent is about 25-35 pesos per night (couple) and includes breakfast (HOW CAN YOU BEAT THIS)!!!

Contact: Enrique @ 0053 024 844344 or cell 0053 52912769

Room Tip: Club Amigo- I always book the Tropical.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank sunloverlkm1975
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!