“a great resort”

Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We got offered to switch from brisas covarrubias for the last two nights, so we only spent two nights and one day here and this is what I thought.

Bus ride: Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I love Cuba.

Room: great. once again the two seperate beds and we were one couple, so maybe request this? We didn't care, we just slept in the one.
We had an ocean view room and it was beautiful.

The resort is very big so it's a lot of walking but we didn't mind. Good exercise. There's a beautiful boardwalk that goes along the beach.

Beach: Beautiful. White sand and blue water, what more can you ask for? There's cool coves that will be at different levels depending on the time. So nice. Very good for photoshooting.
Beautiful trees on the beaches. It's gorgeous.

Food: Good, there's a bunch of restaurants and buffets but we only checked out the one buffet and beach bar given the amount of time we were there for. It was good. I enjoyed the rice, veggies, pork and icecream :)

Entertainment: Not sure, got sunburned on the last day and never made it there. Wear sunscreen, even on the last day!

There's a great market beside the resort. If you like handcarved crafts, jewelry, chess sets, clothes, unique things made my Cubans then you'll love this market. I could spend so much money there but I love those kind of things.

Didn't check out any excursions cuz we were only there for one day.

Always bring something for the Cubans. They really appreciate it. It could make someone's day :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle K

Reviewed March 16, 2013

First time to Club Amigo and a bit nervous after some of the reviews but happily it all checked out just fine. As said before you get what you pay--so yes the food is mediocre--the rooms are mediocre and the guests as well. Complainers need to go to Sandals or RIU to get their 5 stars worth of slavery and selfishness well addressed. The staff were competent and very happy to help if you respect them and believe me I saw alot who DID NOT deserve respect and still got it.
The Cuban people are so happy with the small lives they have in such a deprived area of the world and we could all learn valuable lessons if we opened our bo-toxed eyes and realized how good we have it. This place is a diamond in the rough and it deserves a wonderful thank you for a great relaxing, tranquil get-away with lots of memories that will last forever in my heart. The Cuban life tour is a great way to see what Cuba truly is like, give a few things to the children of this country-a pair of flip-flops from Dollerama and a tube of toothpaste makes their faces light up---oh for us to be pleased with such simplicity in life. Thank you Club Amigo-I will be back again, will stay in the villas with the balcony to watch all the goings on on the property--Don't change a thing and remember that 75% of these reviews are on your side. OLA from Canada and missing you already.

Room Tip: Villas the best situated on property--enjoy the views and the simplicity of Cuban life.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank puggie_13
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Look arround at the prices for vacations. I can't see why people have to complain about a resort that gives them what they paid for and more...You know it's a 3 star, you pay for a 3 star. If you want a 5 star, pay for it. This was our 2cd. visit to this resort, and once again it delivered.
My hat is off to Sunwing (flights wn638 and wn639). They must have revamped things, because this staff truely makes a difference. Unlike in the past, snoby service. Thank you for making this trip even more enjoyable.Maybe a little work on the accomodation/room shuffle...spell it out and show some pictures. I booked last year with Nolitours..the rooms were bungalows and villas, truely the nicer/newer rooms( full doubles 2 or queen 1 ) , great quiet area, pool and surroundings. Now even better with a new bar, still under slow and easy/quiet construction is a new stage,swim up bar and up and running eating area, which serves lunch being poutine,pizza's,sandwichs,hot dogs,burgers and fries.(typical for the snack areas)
O.K..The Resort..but always remember the cost?...Sunwings room selection which totally confuse me..being Gardenview( its called the barracks),terrible rooms, located at the back(guardalavaca section) with single beds,small,with a patio,be nicer if the sliding doors functioned and actually opened/closed,extremely out dated furniture and a tiny bathroom with a shower. The next level..Tropical, located in the Atlantico section( hotel type) were much larger with twin beds,full bathroom with tub and shower,out dated furniture, no balcony but the windows open. The next of which I am still uncertain are the ..Seaview..being the same as the Tropical, but you have the sea view. Finally the villas ( as above) located at the back but closer to the beach/ocean and much nicer rooms. In all cases the rooms are well kept and clean.
We had booked the gardenview ,unknowingly. After doing the accomodation shuffle with the front desk, a special offer became available 1/2 price to upgrade to the Tropical section, being $6 a night ..remember price$..I guess we lucked out having them face the beach/pool area. The front desk handled it with courtasy and to the best of there availability and we were pleased. I do think they are familiar with this situation with Sunwings guests.
The Resort is huge, maybe 1klm of ocean beachfront with great sanded areas, private coves and coral rock formations, many different selections to laze about. The ocean has nice sand to swim out in, a short walk along the beachfront, as the local beach and bar area is just beside giving some great Cuban hospitalities and beach parties. There is 4 pools to bask about, the main pool (Atlantico) has a swim up bar with music and games etc..pool vollryball,bingo,darts etc...the other pools are quiet and relaxing but yet entertaining..There is 3 buffets and approx??5 a la carte restaurants, not being swanky type ,fully detailed menus. The food in general is O K, and served to the best of there capabilities,remembering that their trade issues leave them with limited options. We managed for 7 days and had some good eats hear and there, We found the Guardalavaca buffet to be the best. Knowingly we had brought some of our own spices and sauces to spruce things up a bit. ..Remember again price...personally I 've been in other areas (Cuba, Varadaro) at a 4 1/2 star and the food was the same, maybe a touch better, but no more than that. There is on top of all this another 4 snack areas for lunch and of coarse the 24 hour bar and snacks( serving fries, ham/cheese sandwich,burgers/dogs and coctails.There is about 10 different bars/areas. All drinks are served in small/tiny plastic glasses( bring your own) , also not presented in a 5 star fashion,most of there alcohol is of low quality, but some are better. Most importantly for I that is , being Canadian,the beer is good (draft) of good quality. Remember price..you can get beer bottled or canned for a $ each, other coctails in this area(Holguin that is ) 2$ and thats in the bars..go to the store for less. The facilities are not all in the best of shape but adequate for use, theres a gym with sauna, games room with pool tables, a mini putt area, volley ball area, under the weather tennis courts, soccer area , pedal boats, katamarans,snorkel gear,surf boards and more..remember the price...and its all inclusive.There is Nightly entertainment, not terrific stage shows, but yet entertainment. We met up with a good bud now, Tomas. He'll be out front driving 1 of the horse buggies. $10 bucks for an hour buggy ride through town for the family for an hour, or get him to take you horse back riding at the farm for $10 bucks each for the afternoon, thrugh there village then to town ,have a beer at the local tavern then jump back on , back to the farm. My wife and I, our 2 teenage daughters at a cost of $40 bucks, I gave him $50. Ask for tomas, tell him Dan (ask if he got the signs yet?) told ya....Another great funfilled escapade we did was rented some scooters and travelled the surrounding area , absolutely beatiful, truely amazing views of mountains and structure. Greeted with open arms by 90% of the people. This cost me $20 bucks for the afternoon???Another was the wine tasting/lesson from Bernice $10 each, a great time.Ask at the reservation desk.
In general this place delivers what you pay for, but don't go there with a 5 star expectation now, be realistic for what you pay.This resort is huge,and yes a lot of moving arround and walking, lots of different areas to relax and enjoy,lots to eat and drink, just gotta find the good stuff.Lots of different people of all ages, safe in all aspects,all staff generally all very pleasant with or without tips, you can always find a spot to suit your mood.
At this price, I think we'll deffinatly be back again...providing it stays the same$.

Room Tip: Get the facts from the supplier and read my review, again.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Danny s
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very friendly staff. For a 3 1/2 star rating, it was a true breath taking scenic retreat. No close dance bars other than the disco at the resort but relaxation was what I was after. 24 hr snack bar was a nice touch for plain ole burgers and fries. 3 pools to chose from, Resort was huge! Believe me, ask for their resort map. Take a nice scenic long stroll on a sidewalk path that connects with another resort, 24/7 security guards set at location points to offer a sense of safety as it is more a family resort, you get use to them. Local mini souvenir market on specific days travel to the resort, food taste like any other resort with 7 "A La Carte" selections to choose from. Ate mostly at the buffet as there was a large and wide selection, i believe we got sick from the food though, book "A la carte" if you can. Stayed in the beach front Villas, closer walk to the beach, hotel was not far, just decided to be closer to the ocean. Lots of Coral Reeves past a certain point for scuba divers delight. I would go back with my kids as a quiet relaxed get away.

Room Tip: To save a bit more in bang for your buck? Book your room stay in the main hotel. A friend of mine st...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our second time. A far better experience then the first. Just go and have a great time the ocean view rooms are very noisy until 12:00 pm and again 6:00 am but you can't bet the location so grin and bare it. The beach is beautiful forget Benny Moore's for breakfast unless you want to wait for 2hrs. The bartenders do serve the guys before the ladies at the lobby bar just be pushy

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Another trip to Cuba and once again I was back at the Amigo!!! Same great staff and beautiful beach!! Once again I upgraded to the Tropical Section (worth the money) it's the best location on the resort. Only complaint was the toilet which had issues flushing and the water pressure in the shower. The weather sucked rainy and cold but I made the best of it! This is an older hotel , the food is OK but what keeps me coming back is the staff and the beautiful beach , great snorkelling!! If you want a break from the buffet or snack bar at lunch check out the government restaurant on the beach great lunches for 5 pesos!! I'll be back in may for another week if fun.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 12, 2013

pros - good beaches , good location , big all around nice looking beautiful trees, ocean was nice,

cons - food was terrible most likely going to eat hamburgers fries, ham and cheese or poutine here, mayb pizza to.. lots of carbs so try to get in some protein especially if your drinking..
service was terrible, staff was rude even after tipping them.
front desk took forever to check in
definetly not for young kids (16-20)

overage it was average, nothing special, if i were to go back to cuba i would definetly try varadero or another resort

Room Tip: rooms near ocean view or villas are quieter and nicer, standard rooms are small and noisy near the d...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Punjab G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
#1 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!