“Good value for a 3 stars resort”

and 1 more site!
Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Ottawa, Canada
“Good value for a 3 stars resort”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were at the resort from January 18th to 25th. We originally booked the Standard room and found it a bit too small. The room did not come with a hair dryer and had 2 small beds. We immediately upgraded for few Pesos per day to the Tropical room which was much bigger.

We had a wonderful time at the resort. The majority of the staff were extremely friendly. No complaint at all for the service. The food in general was good. We went to the three buffet cafeterias for Dinner and went to different snack bar restaurants for breakfast and lunch I believe that some people have too much expectation of Cuba's food. What do you expect for one week down South in a 3 stars resort for less than $700 which includes flights, accommodation, all you can eat food and alcohol and non alcohol beverages? For example, when we go to a Chinese buffet in Canada, half of the food is not appealing.

We did two tours during our stay; Holguin and Santiago de Cuba which we enjoyed very much and would recommend to anyone to take. For the Holguin tour, a train ride and lunch was included. Included in the Santiago tour was touring the city in classic "American" cars. Also included in that tour was a boat ride, lunch and a free bottle of rum (11 years old). We were very impressed with the quality of the meals provided. Kathy was our guide for the Santiago tour and was a very knowledgeable and pleasant person.

We spent most of our time on the public beach. Great beach and it was a very good opportunity to meet locals. Also included was water sports equipment such as snorkeling, kayaks, Hobie-cats which we went on it on three different occasions and we had such a blast, pedal boats etc. Special mention to Pedro who navigated the hobie-cat for us and he went out of his way to ensure that we (wife, daughter and monther in law) had a great time.

This was our second trip to Cuba (we went to Varadero before) and we are looking forward for our 3rd trip in Cuba in the near future.

We recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a great time with a limited budget in a three star resort.

Room Tip: We found that it was much cheaper to upgrade from Standard to Tropical room onsite than to change it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Alainpothier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canada.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Being my first time at a resort I'm glad i chose this one. It was so beautiful. Let me make this easy for you..

From the airport: It's about a hour bus ride - wasn't too pleased with that but oh well. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Rooms: The room my friends and I stayed in was absolutely fantastic. There were 3 of us and we each had a bed. The bathroom was very large with a bath tub and a shower head. The sink was outside the bathroom with a large mirror. Inside the closet was a safe that I believe cost 2 pesos per day. Also, it came with a complimentary bottle of rum. Nom Nom Nom. We did meet some friends there. They were two people and their room wasn't so nice. It was tiny with 2 beds. Bathroom was small. No tub just a shower enough to fit 1 person. ALSO they dont start cleaning the rooms until the late afternoon. We had returned at 2:00pm to grab some things and it was still messy..

Pools: There are so many pools there. We didn't spend too much time in the pool. They did have a pool bar and when we arrived we could not even see the bottom if it. A few days before our trip was almost over they had drained the pool.. apparently a man had jumped in the pool and landed on a beach chair.. That's how filthy the pool was. Took almost a day to fill up but once it did it was spotless.

Food + Drinks: They have a 24 hour snack bar which included bugers (DO NOT EAT) and french fries. The fries tasted pretty good but the burgers were awful. Let's just say .. they didn't stay in my tummy very long before coming back up. The buffet was good. They had an omelette station for breakfast. Dinner in the buffet was also very good. They also have 2 ALA carte restaurants. I suggest you book those immediately upon arrival. Drinks .. They pour A LOT of liquor so prepare your taste buds for that.

Service: We had an issue with our bathroom sink. It got clogged and we didn't have maintenance come in and fix it for 3 days.. Ants slowly started showing up within a few hours. After the sink was declogged.. ants were everywhere. Little mini ants. At the 24 hour snack bar there is a man named ANDRE. TREAT HIM WITH RESPECT. He is the most amazing man ever. He put a smile on all of our faces every time we saw him and we did the same for him. Do not give him a hard time.

Beach: I suggest bringing your own scubba gear if you plan on doing that. Every time i went to borrow the ones they had on the resort they were always gone. I never got to snorkel. But their is a catamaran and that is so much fun. Do that!

Entertainment: Entertainment every night. They are amazing. They have shows and they include the audience in it as well. It's fantastic. Theirs also a club on the resort. I'm not too sure if its open all the time.. we had only gone there 1 time and it was a blast!! Also while we were eating dinner in the buffet a little band of men came up to our table and started playing a song for us :)

I suggest getting off the resort at least once and do something for the day. My friends and i went on a safari. It came up to about 99$ per person but it was well worth it. Started off by driving to a place where you can speed boat. 2 people per boat and you yourself are the driver. But you do follow the leader. Afterward we went inside the village and watched an old man roll cigars. ***This is a very poor country to please tip. It means a lot to them***. Afterwards made out way to a farm where we took a tour of the owners home and tasted fresh fruit. We than went horse back riding in the mountains which was absolutely beautiful. I would do it all over again if I could. After that its about an 45mins-1hour back to the resort. Its a great way to spend the day.

The best thing about returning to the room was the AC.

Room Tip: Leave a tip for the maids if you want good service OR shop at a dollar store before heading here and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank CaribbeanBabe92
Murray Harbour, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went to Club Amigo from Dec. 29th-Jan. 5th and was supposed to meet my parents and their friends on my third day there. I was heartbroken to learn that their flight got cancelled and I would be spending the week alone. I went to the front desk right away and bawled on the phone to my parents for about 20 minutes. There were many friendly people who asked me if they could help me in any way, as I was clearly a mess, but at that moment I just had to cry. I was scared and just wanted to go home, but that feeling quickly went away thanks to the AMAZING staff and friends I met who I will never forget. Two of the staff members who knew my parents came up to my room to find me still crying about my family, and they were quick to show me friendship and understanding! They took me to a special dinner and treated me like a princess. After dinner I met two families who took me in as their own and I began to see just how amazing everyone (including the fellow tourists) at this resort truly are! Club Amigo is one big happy family and everyone treats you as if you are a part of the family, too, even if you've never met them before! These people are some of the best I've ever met in my life, and without them my trip would have consisted of me being scared and alone, but they refused to let me have anything less than an amazing trip. My story quickly spread through the resort and by the end of my trip I had met so many people who would just come up to me and tell me that if I needed anything at all, or just wanted to hang out with them then I was more than welcome! I wore some uncomfortable shoes one day and went to the store to look for some band aids, and although they didn't have any, a woman in the store took me right to her room and gave me a huge stack of them! Obviously you have to keep your wits about you, though, and do not go to the beach bar alone (but I definitely recommend to go with friends, as it is so much fun). Also, don't miss the secret bar beside El Benny's, where Bermise works! He is a good friend of my parents and is one of the most amazing men I've ever met and called me his 'little sister' for the whole trip. Overall, my trip was just beyond words simply for the way I was treated! Also, I know many people knock the food, but I thought it was great, especially at the a la cartes! Don't miss the opportunity to come to this resort, it is fantastic!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank ShelbyLynne93
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had a great time!

Despite the rooms not being too modern, actually not being an issue for us as we were barely in our room, the food was really good, the service was great and the beach was incredible! We are already looking forward to our next trip there. It's also nice to see that the age groups vary, not all young and not all older; an even 50% I would say. If you enjoy culture, it is a very nice place to be, if you prefer the American style of life, than you must look elsewhere.

My parents-in-law have been to Club Amigo Atlantico 4 times, my husband twice, once for me and definitely not my last! :-)

Room Tip: If you are looking for a fair price range for your room; choose a room from the Hotel (Atlantico...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank DiraS_13
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Hi all, was back at the Amigo in early January another Amazing stay and I have found two hidden gems to share! The poutine at the square Olympic pool simply amazing and the buffet at the bungalows excellent! Also excellent snorkelling adventure right off the beach ask for Orlando for 10 pesos he will be your guide and take you to the best reefs. Also rented an old convertible and driver for a great night out on holguin great experience!! BEWARE if you go to the late night beach party off of the resort don't bring anything of value especially your shoes , they will be stolen if you take them off to dance or right off your feet if you pass out drunk on the beach , all you need are cheap flip flops and 15 pesos max for 1 peso beers. I'm back in march best resort for those who want a good time and aren't picky about rooms.

• Stayed January 2013
13 Thank sunloverlkm1975
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Vacationed from Dec 20 to Dec 28. Staying in THE VILLA'S is a must. We had a wonderful stay, incredible view! Rooms were clean! Staff was very friendly and helpful! Food has greatly improved since we were here 5 years ago. Great value for your money! Shows have greatly improved!
Will be back!

Room Tip: Villa is the best in this resort!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Sagit T
toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This resort is in a quiet but picture perfect location,the hotel and grounds are old and need cosmetic upkeep,that said this place is comfortable and well managed,the beach and pools are great,much more cozy than Varadeo,the entertainment is good and consistant,there is a great beach party by a private owner so all have a fun time at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: prebook a stay in the villa section ,it cost more but well worth it,especially for a longer vaction.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jackyoToronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Islazul Villa Don Lino
Islazul Villa Don Lino
#4 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!