“Totally enjoyable experience!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Lacombe, Alberta
“Totally enjoyable experience!”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My brother & sister-in-law, husband and I stayed at this resort from Jan 28th to Feb 13th. We were at the Amigo part of the resort and NEVER had any complaints. We felt we got excellent value for our money!
We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The language barrier sometime creates a few issues, but with courtesy and respect any issue can be resolved. I thought the front desk staff sometimes was a little aloof, but with the way they were treated by some guests I don't blame them. Security staff was also helpful and most understood and spoke reasonable English. The cleaning maids were always friendly and did a good job. My husband and brother-in-law made friends with a couple of the bar tenders and had a great time. They also befriended a couple of the grounds keepers and enjoyed interacting with them despite our lack of Spanish.
The resort is huge. Be prepared to do a considerable bit of walking if you want to go to the many different restaurants and activities. We were very satisfied with our room in the Standard section situated on the second floor and had no problems with bugs or anything like that. I slept with my window wide open (no screen) most nights. The air conditioner in our room was new/modern and operated with a remote control. It made it very simple to change temperature and fan speed. The rooms were clean - definitely not new, the beds were comfortable and the linens very clean. The bathroom was clean as well and we had an abundance of hot water with good pressure. Towels were changed twice a day as needed. The hot water took a couple of minutes to get that way, but that was not an issue for us at all. Our biggest complaint was the noisy, inconsiderate guests who came in at all hours and did not know how to be respectful of others at the resort.
We ate at all three buffets and found them all quite similar. The food was decent, and we had plenty of choice. There always was spaghetti for those who did not want to be adventuresome (they had a delicious white sauce to go with it as well on most days). There were lots of eggs for breakfast in whatever manner you wanted them. Omelettes were made as you waited. Cold cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit were also available. There always was lots of lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes (I have discovered I quite like tomatoes on the green side!). There were a variety of cold cuts and cheeses. Lots of chicken but we also had pork and beef. The bread was fresh at noon and delicious. The Cuban ice cream was delicious! My favorite - coconut! Our experiences with the a la carte restaurants were good, but for the most part I preferred the buffets. Hamburgers and fries (not exactly as we know them) were available and were good most of the time.
The beach was great, never over crowded, and the water crystal clear. We only saw beggars a couple of times, and they were not demanding or intrusive. We did not see many locals on the beach either. There was an area that had them, but it was off the resort. There is free access to paddle boats (2 & 4 person) and sailing catamarans with an experience sailor. Tips were appreciated but there was no difference in the service we received if we did not tip them each time. There were a couple of smaller bays as well, and while you needed to get there early to snag a lounger, they were fantastic.
We spent much of our time around the Atlántico and Amigo pools. The water is not heated so it depends on how hot the days are as to what temperature they are. Pools were well maintained and the area kept clear. There still are signs of some of the damage done by the hurricane a couple of years ago, but again nothing that detracted from our enjoyment. Loungers were at a premium, but if you snagged one early enough you were set for the day.
For us personally the evening entertainment did leave somewhat to be desired. The water ballet and a couple of the cabarets were enjoyable.
Exchanging money was a bit of hassle because of line ups however someone told us there was a second exchange booth in the area where the nightly entertainment was held. Lines were much much shorter there.
All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone. It is not, in my opinion, geared towards the younger partying crowd although disco evenings were provided every night. I did not speak with any of the families there, so cannot comment on their experience. All this being said, I never rate anything as excellent, because I am a firm believer that there always is room for some improvement!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. Standard rooms are exactly that! There are other rooms that are newer, a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Paulie4769

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Snorkeling is very good here right from the beach. For a detailed snorkeling report go to this TripAdvisor forum:
It’s a very nice resort. We stayed in the Bungalows, which is a pleasant and quiet section (though you will hear the evening show from 9 to 10:30 PM).
The rooms are well cleaned and functional, the food is better than okay, staff are good, and the setting is simply spectacular. Go with modest 3-star expectations and have a great time.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Kevin Q
mtl
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have been to Cuba 3 times and many resorts, this is the best value for your money. It's a 3.5 ***, so set your expectations accordingly. Staff is friendly, free drinks flow 24 hours, disco drinks are free, 24 hour grill and bar, 24 hour Doctor, free day care all day! The resort is really big, like a small town, you will find whatever you are looking for and a place to relax with no security or people getting sick problems.
Honestly this is a 4****, but the food is 3***, but Carlos the GM, is working hard to improve it.
Will return with the family next vacation!

Great Value!!

Room Tip: Book a Villa, worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank RocketMtl
Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I are not complainers and we went to this resort expecting poor food etc. because of the low cost of this trip/resort BUT nothing like what we found. We have videos to back up what I am about to say about this resort.

STAFF:The male staff were horrible. Leering and winking at my wife by the male staff was intolerable. My wife is a modest dresser and the leering of the staff was very disturbing to the point of perverted. By the way, I am not a jeleous sort of person....just observant!
The male mauchoism of the wait staff and bar staff is disgusting. Rude and disrespectful. The front desk staff were rude and also disrespectful. My wife and I treated everyone with a friendly, no angry or upset demeaner at all times so it is not that we were miserable angry obstrusive people.

ACCOMODATIONS:The room we were first located in the first night on the main floor had cochroaches in the closest. We were moved to the forth floor hotel room. No hot water many many times when we needed to shower whether in the morning of late afternoon in preparation for dinner. I mean NO hot water meaning when the shower vavle was turned to hot, the water stopped coming out! This was no a mechanical problem but a water supply problem.

FOOD:
We were to have 3 ala-cartes of which we received none as we could not get reservations even though I tried from the first day to the second last day to get a reservation. I complained to the Holasun representative and get this, she was kind enough to get us a food ticket pass to eat one night at the resort (Brisas) that was next door on the same beach front. Unbelievable to say the least. Sending your guests to another resort so the could eat.
We expected poor food but not RAW food. The first night at the buffet the hotel served baked chicken legs and thighs that were still BLEEDING uncooked blood!!!!!!! The second night Turkey was served that was burnt black and totally inedible. The juliened carrots that we though were boiled were actually PICKLED carrots and inedible. Boiled cabbage is a regular dished that is dressed in many different ways but it is still boiled cabbge. It is like putting a gold ring in a pigs snout. My wife and I ate bread and boiled rice ALL week at dinner. Food was totally not edible. The pasta line up was the only way to get food that you could eat but since the buffet did not have enough plates, you went without unless you waited in a lineup of people who were waiting to eat since there was nothing else available to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COMMON AREA:No ash trays anywhere in the common areas. The staff (rude as they are) filled a plastic cup with water and shoved it at you to use as an ash tray on the tables. Needless to say, cigarette butts and old stogies from cigars were laying around everywhere not to mentioned spilled liquid butt juice on the floors from the "ash trays " that blew off the tables.
THE BEACH: Nice beach but full of locals. Since the locals can not go onto the resort property, they urinate in the rocky cave/crags on the beach. GROSS! Locals beg and really bug alot. Very friendly people but still annoying. We had one local trying to sell cigars to us on the beach and as it turned out, he was also selling "POT". Disgraceful!

Room Tip: Don't go. Ground floor room doors do not meet the floor so rooms are fulkl of bugs and cochroac...
4 Thank Bill B

Travelers are raving about these Guardalavaca hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Just got back from here a couple days ago. I will say a couple of positive things first as well...The beach is beautiful and the medical care there is great as well. We had to see the doctor for my 4 year old and felt very comfortable dealing with the female dr and nurse.
I can't say I have very many positive things to write. This resort was a big disappointment to me and my family. It was our 4th trip to Cuba so I know what to expect, food isn't good etc but every resort we have visited so far the food was actually quite good. At Club Amigo, it was so gross. I was so happy we brought a jar of peanut butter for the bread. The ONLY good place to eat is the little snack bar by the big square pool. They had some fried chicken and fajita type chicken that was actually edible. However, this place gets quite busy. The Benny More for breakfast wasn't horrible. Just eggs and those are hard to screw up. And the ladies who work here were the only attentive and nice wait staff in the whole place.
We got an ocean view as well, which means we are in the main hotel. It is very loud when you have small children. And I really wish I had of consulted this website prior to booking because I was confused on the room types. We had tried to upgrade while we were down there but all the villas were full...or so they said. However, the room was clean and the maid did a good job.

There is a disco on the beach at night, not sure what happens there...we didn't go, however we found NUMEROUS pieces of glass on the beach daily. It was unbelievable. Not just tiny pieces, big huge pieces. Saw a couple used condoms while walking the grounds, and also a lamp post with the light missing and wiring hanging out that a little hand could just reach out and touch. There was also fence missing from the cliff area, again someone could fall so easily through there. At the beach there are stairs that maybe once led to somewhere and a cave underneath. The stairs are just sitting there, not being held up by anything and could fall at any moment. So nice concrete stairs that would kill someone. So many things wrong with this place. Oh and lets not forget all those lovely people that go stake out their chairs at 6 in the morning. Absolutely RIDICULOUS!!

Now, there are 4 pools. The villa section pool was nice, great place for kids. This resort is huge. Too big I think but that is just my opinion. I prefer a smaller resort. You never see the same people. And the staff really does suck. I agree with the previous poster, they treat you great if you are a repeat visitor but a new comer, forget it. You could be standing in line at the bar and they will go out of their way to serve the people they know, never have we had such bad service and this was the biggest turnoff. If they are understaffed in the restaurants that would be OK if they just took the time to acknowledge that you exist. We would never ever go back. In fact, this soured me so much I think I am done with Cuba for awhile.

Room Tip: Research the room types. Also it says on the website a fridge is included, it is not! It's an...
9 Thank Holly O
Reviewed February 10, 2012

lets start with the positive
the beach is beautiful
there is 4 beautiful pools to choice from so there is always a chair at one of the other pools if not the main pool. If you ask for the rooms that are ocean view the come with lots of noise!!!!!The ocean view with a balcony in most cases means into the main lobby and lots of noise from 6am to 11 pm. There are quiet places pay for it, it is worth it. The beach is crowded very. Walk a ways and there is lots of room. There are 3 beach type restaurants that are not bad. The buffets suck the food for lunch and dinner is bad. I am not a picky eater and for lunch one day I had ice cream another day I had pasta. There is always pasta, rice, chicken if you can figure that, that is what it is. (There are 3 buffets each with the same food that you find hard to eat Bread not that much of a variety hard and plain. The al-cartes same veggies.the chicken is better than at the buffet better rice and better mash potatoes \
Ben More is good the chicken was great the Lobster that we paid 10c was great. The Italian also had great Chicken. All the All-cartes were better that the buttet.
The staff are not nice they treat the repeat staff so nice the new comers they donot even come near you. The bartenders treat people that speak spanish and repeats great new comers they look over your head or they don't see you.
We can not figure out why people go back
Sure the place is very clean, comfortable between 2am and 6am. But it is so full everything has a line up
People keep going back why?????????
The shows are really nice but the noise is really high and annoying
the ocean is very shallow for a long time so it is beautiful it is also calm
the drinks are bad. Hard to figure out what you are drinking unless it beer.
No I would never go back it is worth every cent I paid. and less

Room Tip: don't go find some where else to go unless you really like the beach, 4 pools don't mind bad...
10 Thank malotsoffun
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2012

To start off with i will simply remind you all that this a 3 star hotel. This means if you are looking for 5 star food and amenities you will be sorely disappointing...but then,again... i say, look at three star price vs 5 star pricing should be the big tip off on what to expect... so if you book here and expect the 5 star treatment that is your fault not the hotels fault nor your travel agents fault. The hotel are very good and very friendly, they are short staffed, so please be patient and some staff just are not too efficient but they do try to please and are mostly successful. The property and the beach front is amazing and there is great snorkeling not far off the beaches and also in front of the other hotel on the beach has good spots too. A new and very good extra at this resort is the wine tasting for 10CUC. You can also buy a good bottle of wine at this location(the old secret bar) for about 20CUC...and i do mean a good bottle of wine... Please, do yourself a favor and go see Barmis and Norhay... and book an evening of wine tasting and you will be amazed with their knowledge and how they will impart that knowledge to either a novice, or even a wine drinker that already knows what good wine is about... $10 CUC is an extremely reasonable cost to taste test 5 different great tasting wines and also have a fantastic time doing so.

Room Tip: get the main hotel for good...the bungalows...best..... the villas ....excellent... the barracks...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank don m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Islazul Villa Don Lino
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,619 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!