“Definitely will return to Holguin”

Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I went to Club Amigo from June 29th to July 6th. We were there for our honeymoon and had requested the honeymoon package with Sunwing and directly with the hotel. We arrived to be put in the baracks with two single beds. We refused to spend our honeymoon in a room with two beds and they upgraded us to the baracks again with a king size bed but the room was so disgusting that I refused to stay there. I threatened to have sunwing move me to the Brisas. Finally they moved us to a much better room with a balcony. At least it was ok. I told them that I would not even allow my dog to spend a night in the baracks. We never got our honeymoon package, so if you are planning a honeymoon, I don’t recommend that resort. The sunwing rep was not helpful at all and basically ignored us.

That being said, we had one of the best vacation of all time. We met the local band that play next door at the flea market and soon became friends with the members. We basically spent the week off the resort and hung out with these guys at the bar and the beach parties. They are truly a talented bunch of guys and very friendly. Do take the time to go listen to them.

At the reception of the hotel, I truly have to say that all the workers there should be fired and replaced with people with customer service skills. It is obvious that these people do not like their jobs. They never smile and basically don’t care about the guests.

On the other hand, the staff at the bars and buffet are out of this world. Regardless if you tip them or not, you will get service with a smile. I would return to this resort only because of these special people. Do bring work gloves for the gardeners and offer them a bottle of water once in a while. They work under the beating sun and never get anything.

As for the food, well there is always something to eat, you will not go hungry but do keep in mind that it is Cuba after all and they do with what they have. As for water for your room, they leave your a carafe in your room and it's up to you to go fill it up at the bar. We requested a fridge and were told we had to pay 1 peso a day. The fridge was never delivered. Most of the rooms had fridges but we had to pay.

The beach was awesome and lots of room. On the left part of the beach, alot of Cubans hang out there, but they are all wonderful people.

We met this wonderful couple during our stay and planned to stay in touch but lost their email. There names were Moira and Samson from Ireland. If you guys are reading this, contact me as we would love to stay in touch. Moira is a blonde lady and Samson is originally from Mozambique and has dreadlocks.

As for the people of Holguin, they have our hearts. They are truly amazing people. We are going back to Holguin in September for Take 2 or our honeymoon but staying at the Brisas this time. Hopefully they are better with honeymoon packages than Club Amigo. Stay tune for our next review.

And just remember…. Do not stay in the barack…. They should be condemned!

Room Tip: Stay out of the Baracks, well worth the extra price for their best room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sillybug

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I'm sorry for the late review... but i'm sure nothing much has changed since Dec-Jan 2010-2011

Club Amigo Atlantico Guardavalaca Hotel – December 25, 2010 – January 8, 2011

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. First off, don’t expect this to be any north American standards. We started off a one hour bus ride to the resort. When arriving, the check-in was very slow. There were only 2 people working at the front desk, we waited for 1 hour in line. When we got to the front desk, they informed us that we would not be in the main building and we had to go to another reception to check-in, which was at the other building. The hotel is huge. There are 4 different buildings.

We were provided the garden section at first. Itravel2000 did not give us the option of choosing either a standard room, bungalow or a villa. If I had known that we were given a standard room, I would have asked for a upgrade with the travel agency. Below is the information of each sections of the hotel.

MAIN HOTEL

There are bars pools, restaurants and 1 gift shop and any other paid activities (ie. Internet and massage). These rooms are very standard. No refrigerator in the room, no balcony and if you require a safety deposit box, you would have to pay 1 peso per day for the use of the safety deposit box.

BUGALOW SECTION

They also have a restaurant, pool, bar and nightly entertainment. The area seemed to be very quiet. Very good size, very spacious (if this room was provided at first, then we would have not upgraded to a villa). There is no refrigerator and safety deposit box is the same as noted-above.

VILLA SECTION

This section is the newest part of the hotel. There is also a pool, gym, game room, restaurant and a 24-hour snack bar. This is the biggest room you can get at the hotel and the most cleanest and spacious.

We upgraded to the villa after sleeping one horrible night in the garden view section. My wife and I slept like a baby in the villa. The room is worth the upgrade which costs us 24 peso per night. There is a refrigerator but unfortunately, no bottled water or beverages are provided. I thought that mainly if you have a refrigerator in the room, there would be beverages provided but unfortunately this is not part of the all-inclusive. You would have to purchase your own bottled water and beverages from the only 1 gift shop. There is a LCD tv, remote air-conditioner and extra large bathroom are great features. The balcony is extremely clean and spacious.

GARDEN VIEW SECTION

This is the standard section of the hotel. They do have a pool, snack bar and restaurant which seems to be very quite as most people don’t spend much time on this side of the resort. If you only want to sleep here and spend majority of your time outside of your room, this is the room you would want to stay. It’s incredibly small, no space to walk or maneuver around. The beds are single size beds (jail beds). The washroom is very low standard. It is not even a tub, it is just a standing shower. No space in the washroom for putting your soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc. Just a pedestal and no counter space. If you really don’t care about space and cleanest, then this room is for you but if you are the type of person that cannot stand being in a small room, then this room is not for you.

Once we got into our room, my wife’s facial expression literally dropped to horror. She wanted to cry because the room was just ridiculously horrible.

Pool the hotel has a few pools and every section has its own pool It appears that the garden section is the old and outdated section. All the pools in the hotel are good size and lots of chairs to sit and get tanned and there is lifeguard on duty.

Food- the food is adequate enough to survive and I mean survive if you are willing to eat pink chicken, beef, fish and fried hot dogs then you would be good. But as for the selection of food very slim and or not appealing for anybody stomach. Please understand this is CUBA I know the food is not very good and the point to go to CUBA is not to eat it’s to enjoy the weather and beach. So if you do decide to come to this hotel please bring some spices I brought my Franks Red Hot and we also got peanut better for breakfast…we were ready for this hotel.

Service- I found this to be one of the best features of this hotel. All the staff seems to be very nice and helpful. When we upgraded the room they took the time to show us all the rooms in the hotel. That is the reason why we know the information of each room as we seen it with our own eyes. The maid is extremely nice and very good at cleaning the room. Well cleaning the villa not sure about the Garden section. All the staff was very helpful and would bend over backwards to help you get what you need unless it was something out of their control.

Beach- My wife and I walked the beach and it a nice white sand beach but very small compared to other resorts I been to in Cuba. The hotel does have a very long boardwalk path that takes you from one side of the hotel to the neighbor hotel Brisas. The hotel does provide small private beaches but if the waves are strong then you would be wet sitting in your beach chair.

Overall, I think this hotel is good for a quick get-away for the price but you better be prepared from some down falls.(ie, power went out in my room for 45 mins and no running hot water for the last 2 days of our trip. If you can look past it all then you will have a great time. I don’t believe I will be coming back to this hotel in particular but if I do I would only stay in the Villa. If you plan on staying at this hotel and if you have the money or some very good negotiation skills stay at the Villa or at the very least bungalows to enjoy your vacation to its fullest. You could always stay at a higher star hotel also if you have the money. But if you are on a budget, you are paying for what you get.

Room Tip: BEST tip to get the best room... upgrade the room with your travel agency before you go to the hotel...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vacation83
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I just spent two weeks here. The Hotel staff are great.The food is ok but could use allot more salads and fruit.Typical for Cuba. The Villas are the best rooms by far. The rooms called the Barricks are terrible. The largest pool with the pool bar is closed since last week for a new liner. Great beaches and excellent snorkeling on the reef out from the hotel. Overall great value for the cost. One hour from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Bruceis45
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We arrived., got to front desk., were automatically upgraded to villa as there were villas available., did'nt even have to ask.,., boom,. we were in a beatiful villa with nice view. We arrived late that night., so we grabbed a burger and fries from the all night grill., pretty tasty and satisfying... to make a long story short., Noli Travels took great care of us., always a rep on hand to help us.,.,got us a great english speaking driver to take us into holquin for the day., 70 pesos., took the back roads and had a wonderful country drive and saw many historical sites., as for romantic., absolutely., beatiful beach and a little Joe Cave for those ingulgent types!!.,the drinks were fab., and the pool bar was great...problem was people who were drinking never seemed to go to the washroom for hours......hmmmm!! anyways the staff were great our maid was amazing., but there was a bartender there who looks like Lou Grant from Mary Tyler Moore.,who if you tipped will fill your Big Bubba., all in all was a wonderful experience .,food was OK., great value., we are taking the kids in January.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank owyoooudoin
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We enjoyed the hotel and amenities. the food was good with the possibility of having something any time of the day. staff were good , the accomodation in the villas excellent.
We had a really nice time and made alot of new friends.

Room Tip: we were in the villas excellent
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank dorango
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We have just returned from our holiday in Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca.

We really enjoyed our stay. We knew that it was a 3* star hotel/resort and the service/location/and resort was as we would expect of a 3* resort, at times even better. We had a nice big bedroom and a nice clean bathroom. The staff was very helpful. We went on some very nice trips. We had a beautiful wedding (only the two of us) and the staff really ensured to make this special for us (we arranged this directly with the staff at the hotel not with the company where we bought the holiday from and this saved us a lot of money. It only cost us a £100 compared to £500 had we gone through the company selling us the trip.

We went swimming in the sea and borrowed the paddling boats. There is a charming market next to the hotel selling lots of souvenirs and hand crafted items.

Neither I or my partner (now husband) like to use/stay at the Pool when we go out, so I'm unable to comment on how the Pools where. However, they did look inviting and clean.

The bars does provide nice drinks Pina colados with or without rum is defiantly recommendable.

Overall, I can recommend the resort. It is a 3* and that is what you get.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank hh05mk
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I love it here- its my fave hotel in cuba (and I've visited a lot). Its not in a relaly touristy area, the hotel is massive to you can hide if you want or join in the party. th estaff relaly make it (even thought approc 140 have just been made redundant).

Things you need to remember about Cuba:

There is still an embago, Cuban cant get general stuff ( that's one of the reasons the food it a bit bland). Take everythign you may need, you cant get it there. I would alway suggest garlic grater and tobasco.

There is a rainy season- check before you travel its not the staff's fault.

Cuba is still a bit homophobic (think UK in the 70's/80's) and there are very few Black people in powerful political positions.

Cubans cannot discuss certain subjects, dont embarress them by asking unless you know them really well.

Everyone complains about reception staff. In the UK reception would have the power to make decisions- not in cuba. they have a set of rules and they are only allowed to work within that set of rules. the rules also change daily based on policy change without warning. Sadly over the last 6 years this hasnt really changed. drives me potty.

The dentist is wicked- totally recommens- £20 fro a white filling, cant be bad.

Do expect cuba to be like other caribbean countries- expect wierdness and you'll be fine....

Room Tip: go villa if you can, esp if you have kids...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank alwaysofftocuba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
#1 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!