“LOVE IT, LOVE IT, WANT TO STAY THERE”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Barrie, Canada
“LOVE IT, LOVE IT, WANT TO STAY THERE”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I have been to this hotel 12 times and it feels like home to me, I just came back from a 5 star Catalonia Bavaro in Punta Cana and will never go back there again. I my hotel the employees and staff can't do enough for you. In Punta Cana the attitude was you've already paid so what. I took my whole family (40 of us) to amigo in Feb of 2010 as my daughter wanted to get married there. What an experience it was fabulous and I was so proud that my children and grandchildren finally got to see where my husband and I escape to every year. my son got married this year in Catalonia Bavaro this year in Apr 2011 and the wedding was lovely, but the service and the promises from the hotel before we arrived were all lies. We made our own wedding beautiful no thanks to the hotels best efforts to screw it up. If you know Amigo hotel then you will know that we are not overly fussy people so when I say a 5 star hotel was not half of the hotel that Amigo is then beleive it. Yes the rooms in the hotel are antiquated But are super clean, the staff feels like family and the fun is always the same. We have met so many people that just keep coming back just like us. And we will be there again this year again, no more testing other places we have found home for us.

Room Tip: The bungalows are good but I like the tropical rm
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This was my 12th time to Cuba and my 1st time to this resort. Totally had one of the the best vacations I have had in a long time.
The hotel itself is older and in some ways could use alittle upgrading eg. our shower dripped constantly, the toliet ran on, but the warmth and service by the staff made up for any inconvienience with the rooms.
This is an older property and it is large-747 rooms. There are 4 sections, Villas, Tropical (large hotel on the ocean) Bungalows and , what most people referred to as the "Barricks". Each section has its own dining areas, bars, pools etc and no matter where you stay, you can use ALL the facilities of the whole resort.
The food was good, I really enjoyed the buffet restaurant in the bugalow section and Benny's for the seafood. The pizza at the snack bar was a good light snack.
I never got to any of the shows...to busy socializing at the lobby bar in the tropical section where they had nightly entertainment. There were 16 in our group and we seemed to gravitate here.
The beach was good...alittle rocky...but the swim-up bar was great!!!
I would recommend this property.....just keep in mind that it is a 3* hotel but the staff were FANTASTIC! I give them 41/2 *!!!

Room Tip: upgrade to tropical section or villas
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripaholic57
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We travelled as a group of 4 for Christmas - left on the 24th and got back on the 31st.

For what we paid (approx $700/person, all in) we got a great deal. We paid the front desk $85/couple to upgrade our rooms without even seeing the basic ones we booked. We ended up seeing what the basic ones were like, and were glad about the decision - they are certainly the weak point of the resort and should be upgraded or replaced.
That being said, we saw no flies in the food, no roaches anywhere, etc. I really don't understand some of the really poor reviews about this place, but when I see the spelling and grammar of some of the reviewers (i.e. “Absoulty Discusting Hotel”), you get a sense of the caliber of people that write them.

Is this a top-notch stay? No. But we knew what we were getting into when we booked. If you book a budget vacation like that and expect top-of-the-line, then you are the one at fault. We just wanted to get away for the holiday somewhere all inclusive with a nice beach and places to see - we got all that in spades. The staff was very friendly. This place has several bars - if you want a nice evening with some drinks, go find the "secret bar" (as we called it - it is way in the back behind where the pinpong tables are. It only fits about 10 people, and you can buy some nice vintage bottles of wine at good prices, and no one on the resort knows it's there. It's not advertised anywhere.

The beach is big, and very nice - the snorkelling was good. The buffets are typical for Cuba - not great, not terrible. The a la cartes were up and down, but there is 5 or more of them, so you will have options. All the bars are well stocked, and they will make or give you pretty much anything you ask for, except give you a whole bottle (if you want that, go to the gift shop, or the liquor stor across the street between the 2 hotels - if you try hard, you might spend as much as $10 on a bottle).

There is a local market next to the hotel, the vendors are all local and change every day. We bought all our souveniers there - look around long enough and there is lots to buy, and nothing is expensive. You won;t be harassed, but they are obviously keen to sell (I'll sum up the experience with every vendor like ths: "special price - comes apart"). They are totally fine with a good haggle, but there is no point in insulting them.

We did several excursions - I recommend the Beer Trail, but not for the prescribed reson. A lot fo the bars we went into had no idea what we were trying to do, but it is worth the $25 just to get a shuttle to and from the city to walk around and see it. The locals are firendly, nothing to be nervous about. Just like anywhere else, just don't flash a wad of money, etc. We did the swim with dolphins deal - it's a bit overpriced, but it's all day and we had a lot fo fun. We really wanted to go see a baseball game, but the team was on the road in another Province.

So, like us, if you just want to get away to the beach without breaking the bank, this is a great option. If you want that Cuba has to offer, look elsewhere. That being said, unless you are the type that just HAS to complain about something (and if you are, go get a drink and take a deep breath, geez), this is a place to consider.

Stayed December 2010
4 Thank 69iron
Winnipeg
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Just came back from another great trip to club amigo, the last 2 weeks in march. This is our tenth trip to this same resort, and like the caption says "It's like coming home" because of how the staff greets and remembers us. This year coming back we noticed even more improvements even from last year. Since Carlos (new manager from Brisas) took over Club Amigo, the improvements are on a steady course. Especially the extra cleanliness, the swings, the lounge chairs, the solar lights, the railings, subtle changes in the food choices in the buffets. Plus you can never go wrong with the a la cartes, especially the soups. There's 4 pools on sight, and if desired, you can have a quiet time or have a party atmosphere which we did at the pool with the swim-up bar. My wife likes to relax and enjoy the sun, where as I like to keep on the go, and the entertainment staff saw to it. From pool volleyball, water polo,
aquasize, and lets not forget bingo, theres nothing quite like it. Evening entertainment is varied from Lobby to the center stage consisting of cuban culture, rock and roll, and various entertaining acts. I still like the guest participation shows the best. Sometimes I hear people grumble and complain about minor things, but we have always had 1st class service, and I'll give you a secret as to how I do it. I treat the staff as my equal and as how I would like to be treated. I talk, smile, wave,laugh, joke and generally try to be sincere and get to know the staff. I've tried this method not only in Cuba, but everywhere I go, and it works wonders. We have travelled extensively and found that we can go for 2 weeks to Club Amigo as a one week trip to Mexico etc. and feel much safer. So for the cost of this trip, I would always highly recommend this resort. Gary and Nina Winnipeg

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winnipegGary
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This was my first trip outside Canada, and I'm very pleased.
This resort is rated as a three star, but it should be so much higher.
It exceeded my expectations by alot.
the resort has three beaches and four pools, the beach was amazing and very clean, its shared with locals, so occasionally they'll ask you for money or clothing, if you dont want to give them anything, just say no and they'll go away. the pools were super clean, and the one by the bungalows (where the stage is) and the giant square one by one of the reception desks are basically deserted and are so peaceful. the one by the beach is loud and packed.

the resort is constantly being cleaned, the floors were always being mopped when it wasnt even dirty, it was good and very well kept. i am a mild germaphobe and was perfectly comfortable with the cleanliness of this resort.

for service, the bartenders are awesome, usually start singing and dancing, it was great. the night we arrived the reception desk had terrible service. i was no pleased at all, the recpetion desk in the main hotel is not very friendly, though everyone else is.

location was great, right by the beach, only an hour drive from the airport. though it seems alot faster as the tour bus drivers follow no road rules at all.

we paid 785 each for a week thats with upgrading to the tropical room, which i advise, very good value.

the rooms were just like a best western hotel here. clean beds, 2 end tables, vanity, dresser, tv and washroom. very simple. the maids clean very well and make awesome swan or heart things out of towels. the first night we got there, there was no toilet paper in our room, the next day the maid gave us some. i advise you bring one with you, as toilet paper in the public washrooms were hard to come by.

the sleep quality is kinda bad in the main hotel. if you require complete silence, upgrade to a bungalow or villa. at night the bar on the main floor and other guests are kinda loud, though around 11 it becomes quiet. early in the morning like 7-9 am, the maids are in the hallway yelling at eachother, so it woke us up every morning.

everyone i talked to before going to cuba said the food there was plain and terrible, they said to bring salt, pepper, hotsauce, ketchup, syrup. dont do that, this resort has it all. the food wasnt too bad. im a very picky eater, and i survived. if you like seafood youll never go hungry. there was always rice, potatoes, salad bar, bread, and some form of meat at dinner. lunch is the same really, very little difference. breakfast is eggs pancakes toast fruitbar. and there is a part where they cook for you pasta at lunch and omletes at breakfast. there is three buffets. they all have alot of repeated food, but there was always some differences. the one in the main hotel is crazy busy, others not so much. we went to two a la cartes at la vega and el benny more. both were fantastic!

tehres a cuban market right beside the hotel that sell hand made crafts and little trinkets. it changes daily, and you can bargain with the vendors, check it out everyday as its always changing

we also went on a tour of holguin city, costed 38$, i dont think it was worth it. but if you wanna see a cigar factory and hill of the cross then do it.

this hotel has mainly old couples, and families with little kids. we are 18/23 and there was not many people our age. which was good because there wasnt alot of annoying teenagers, so if your looking for a resort with lots of teens to party with, dont go here. you'll be disappointed. if you want to relax, then its perfect.

all in all this hotel exceeded my expectations, i was very pleased, i recommend this hotel to anybody who wants a relaxing vacation, and ill definately be going back in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
stillwater lake nova scotia
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Flight out of halifax was late but smooth flew sunwing. Beer at airport prior to smooth 50 minute drive is 1 peso so grab a cold one for the ride. Cnd $ exchange was very close to par on our $ Arrived late in the evening with not much direction given from the staff. There are no electric carts or luggage carts to assist moving in. Room was small though it was only used for sleeping. Bring your ear plags as the noise from the long concrete halls pass through every thing. Towels were changed daily though I thought they were only changed from one room to another as they were still wet. the bathroom glass is only wiped out with cloth by maids. There was a cockroach in one of our three rooms we were in. This is the room that they moved us to when we had problems in one other. This new room also had a phone that didnt work and lots of mold in the shower area.
There was plenty of pools to choose from with snacks close by. The beach was very nice as was the grounds and plants. There was also a good selection of food at the buffets of which there was 3. The gym has only 2 things that work and the rest is all broken and wont be fixed.
Tempature 36 everyday you will get burnt!
I have stayed 10 times in cayo coco and have refered over 40 other travelers to that resort.
For the great value I paid for this 3* resort , there was external things that will keep me away from returning to this area and I will tell others.
* Prostitution all over the resort. Thake a look at there partners they are traveling with.
* Locals, this resort is in a town so be prepared to encounter local Cuban guest who feel that they should have priorities over all other travelers. this is witnessed at the bars and grills . there were other cuban families that we meet that were great vacationers
* service ? Watch your towel or better still bring your own. at check out they said we had 3 towels when only 2 were given. $25 peso.
1 lost key that was left in room when transfering to another $25 peso.
Service ZERO PRICELESS
they will not help you out in any concern that you may have ,they will continue to just stand there and look around you.
* SMILES bring a BIG bag full . They are free and they are in desperate need. They dont even smile at each other .

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Guardalavaca hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We arrived after an exhausting journey and after finally checking in (it took an age) were shown to an awful room. There was a tin roof, a smell of dampness, it had no storage space, no fridge, no safe and no promised water. All we wanted to do was get some food and water and sleep,but there were only 2 beds in a tiny space and there were 3 of us.

After telling reception about the bed, we tried to get some food, the queue was horrendous, so we got some water from the bar and went to bed as it was late in England. BUT still no bed, we waited 4 hours for a bed to be delivered. we rang 3 times. The children were in tears, there was no room for a third bed at all. I realised I could not spend 2 weeks in this awful room.

The following morning I arranged an upgrade to the villas, to which the rep Nancy handled very well. The villas were 100% better, but cost £175, but was worth it to get away from the foul room in main hotel.

On the whole the hotel was very old, the food was pretty awful, the entertainment monotonous and poor. On plus points, the rep was lovely, the Island absolutely beautiful, the beaches to die for. The staff were reasonably friendly, but I had been to Cuba before, so found this hotel far less superior to the other one i stayed at. Made me wonder if Cuba is changing for the worse or we just had bad luck.

You cant miss swimming with the dolphins, it is amazing, but remember to take waterproof cameras.

I love Cuba and would recommend it all the time, but spend a little more and get a higher star hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cazz_uk1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!