“EXCELLENT!! RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD TIME”

and 1 more site!
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Markham, Ontario
“EXCELLENT!! RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD TIME”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

I recommend this for anyone that wants a relaxing yet adventurous vacation. This is my first time on a trip with my BF and my first time at an all-inclusive... I am very picky and used to good service and food that I pay money for.. so this was good

Our first night wasn't that pleasant (some of the workers were rude [not reception, just one of the snack bars] but the front desk helped us out)... we arrived late so all the buffets were closing but the main buffet still let us in =)

Our week was a mixture of GOOD weather (3 days) and crappy weather (3 days) but it was a good balance as rainy days prompted us to ditch the beach and check out what the resort and its excursions offer (but walking in the rain at the beach is very romantic and exciting)

The view is excellent. There is a little area of corals that are near the shore that is amazing (you don't even need snorkels). Scuba diving was a great experience (have an independent SD house on the beach... about 40 CUC), the corals are not that nice though.

I only saw one cochroach (and it was a squashed one)... and got about 5 mosquito bites (I went to the nearby lagoon without putting on bug-repellent). WHen the weather is warm, there were flies but it wasn't excessive and c'mon, its warm and there is good food, why would there be no flies?

The french restaurant had the best food & service... The Romantic Restaurant had the nicest staff and the best atmosphere. The Italian Restaurant had really good seafood and the portions are ENORMOUS... The buffet had the best fried bananas and the decor was amazing! =)

Overall, it was way better than what I expected, the beach is gorgeous, the people are very friendly and EVERYTHING was really CLEAN =)

6 Thank JessicaTsang
MohamadFawzi, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this review, December 29, 2009
Dear JessicaTsang:

Thank you for your the excellent comments you make about Sol Rio Luna Mares.

I hope you visit us on a near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,364)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bancroft, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a week in Dec. All the fav. reviews on this resort are true.

The staff very helpful and courteous. The resort, spotless. rooms, pools, grounds, all in great shape.

We had a great Ocean View room thanks to Wendy and a very special dinner for two under the gazebo behind the international restaurant. Thanks again Wendy.

The food was the best we have had so far in Cuba. Not that we have had bad food....this was just better.

The shows most nights where very entertaining. We had a riot at the beach party.

Thanks again too the staff at Sol Luna Mares for making our stay so memorable.

We will see you again in March.

7 Thank cubanight
MohamadFawzi, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this review, December 27, 2009
Dear Mr. / Mrs Cubanight:

On behalf of our staff, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences and for have given us the opportunity to have you as a guest.

We'll be pleased to see you again at "Sol Rio Luna Mares". Happy holidays.
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2009

Would recommend this hotel to all my friends. The staff are wonderful and helpful in every way. I agree, the daytime entertainment was a little loud. Food was great, and such choice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJBonzo
Dear "JJBonzo":

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences and for have given us the opportunity to help on making your stay unforgettable.

We'll be glad to see you again at "Sol Rio Luna Mares".
Berkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2009

The hotel has a lot to offer and offers very good value for money.
The situation on the beautiful beach is superb. The staff fall over themselves to give you a sun lounger.The sand is clean and white and the water is warm and there is a lot of shade.
The hotel is a bit remote for those like me who want to stroll to nearby villages.
In terme of decor the rooms are a bit tired but they were cleaned well and everything worked
The staff are very polite, extremely helpful and accommodating and very friendly and always greet you with a genuine smile. I was impressed with the way they controlled the queue at the bar, ensuring people were served in turn rather than those, of a certain nationality, who shouted the loudest!
The food is good with plenty of variety although the main restaurant can get busy and be a bit of a bun fight at times.
The gala dinners are beautifully presented but offer only one choice and do not cater for vegetarians.
The evening entertainments are very good and give a good taste of Cuban culture with salsa dancing and lots of singing.
However for us all this was marred by the day time entertainment. The Ents Team have control of a powerful PA system situated around the pool overlooking the beach. Every afternoon they would 'bully' people into participating in inane games such as drinking competitions and bingo!.
Do people really travel to a tropical destination to play bingo!
These would involve about 4 or 5 guests but the whole hotel and people on the beach would have to suffer the noise. Forget chilling ouit with a good book around the pool!
When complaing we were told that the other pool was a quieter area. but this pool lost the sun at 3pm, had no view of the sea and was some distance from our room.
This was a great shame as the hotel does so much so well. But beause of the deafening noise wild horses would't drive me back

5 Thank FreddyBerkshire
Dear FreddyBerkshire:

With great satisfaction, I thank you, on behalf of the Staff and Management of our Hotel for the courtesy you have shown by rendering your comments of your stay at our Resort, on Trip Advisor. We would like you to know that we have conveyed your comments to our staff; they are the ones responsible for our results because of their daily efforts.

Thank you as well for the recommendations you made; we are already working on that.

We hope to see you again in Sol Rio Luna Mares.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

It has been my 3rd time staying at this resort. A good friend of mine recommended it and convinced me to come with her the first time, and ever since i keep on coming back. I stayed in Brisas and Club Amigo before, and Luna Mares resort is definately on the different level. The best thing i find is the personalized approach of the staff to the guests - they remember names, faces, take their time to greet you and to chat with you. The hotel itself is somewhat posh, it has beautiful design (I would compare it with Brisas but it has more people which to me is important). One of the very important factors is food, it's is definately much better food than Club Amigo or Brisas Gurdalavaca has. Entertainment is good, the evening performances are proffessional and during the day they try to make it fun as well. From what i hear from other people the beach there is one of the best in Cuba, well i don't know about that, but it's definately the best in Guardalavaca, it's huge with beutiful exotic trees and lots of people. In Brisas beach is small, and you can't just get lost in the crowd you feel like everyone is watching you. And in general Luna Mares always has more people and an easy going atmosphere, and since i'm traveling with friends, sometimes we have different flight scheduales, so i end up hanging out by myself in the hotel for a couple of days, and i don't feel like i stand out, there's so many people that you can just do your own thing. You also get to meet lots of cool people, the crowd who travels there is usually Canadians and Europeans. The disco is small but nice, the DJs play the latest North American hits and Cuban hits. I always feel at home in that hotel and my friends who traveled to other parts of Cuba say that this hotel is definitely the best they've been to taking all things in consideration, it's just a nice place to stay in. I don't even feel like exploring other resorts anymore - why risk it if i know that that one is a guaranteed good experience.
if you are into a nightlife, you could cab it to Holguin city for a disco at La Casa De La Musica, it's 45 min drive. Also Gurdalavaca has a club La Roca, and a disco at Club Amigo, and la Arena could be a place to hang out if you are bored at night - it's on the beach and it has a bar. Cab ride to Gurdalavaca is only 5 min, so it's convenient. I like it that i can combine a good relaxing time in Luna Mares and party if i want to.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank Amiga_Nadya
MohamadFawzi, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this review, December 25, 2009
Dear Amiga_Nadya”:

On behalf of our staff, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences and for have given us the opportunity to have you as a repetitive guest.

We'll be pleased to see you again at "Sol Rio Luna Mares". Happy holidays.
Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

We have just returned from 2 weeks at this resort and all we keep saying is "fantastic". From the very start, Urli our rep was on hand with information, very helpful an provided us with a list of fantastic tours to take part in if you so desire. The cost of these tours was very reasonable also so we booked 6 of them! We swam with Dolphins then watched a Cuban show and ate a delightful Lobster dinner. We had a day on a catamaran, stopped off at a beautiful island and went on a jeep tour around the island... I even sat on a camel! (the photo is not that good, I look very worried about falling off)
We did a night in Holguin (about £17) to a music house that we would heartily recommend. We had a great guide (Marcel) and, after a tour of the city streets at night time, spent the rest of the night dancing to live cuban music and drinking rum... got back to the hotel at 3am, and had a bad head the next day, but lots of great pics and good memories.

Our room, although a little tired was comfy, clean and provided us with everything you need. Our maid Mariella was so lovely too, everyday leaving us beautiful little works of art maid out of the towels and bedding. She always had a smile and made sure we were happy with our room. Fresh water everday left in the small fridge and when we used the coffee machine the very next day she had topped up the coffee packets.

The food here is outstanding and we loved the Romantic and French restaurants, although the buffet was really good also with plenty of choice. People who say it serves the same food everyday must just make the same choices everyday because there is a huge amount of different dishes to choose from. The drinks are plentiful and please please make sure you try Pina Coladas, Mojitos, Bahama Mamas and of course the Spanish coffees which I must have almost drunk them dry of! Nothing was too much trouble and the staff here were always smiling with us and making the most effort.

I would like to say a special hello and thankyou to Mariella our maid, Daylis from the entertainment team and Yunior amongst others who were great fun. Also Marcello and Hulio our tour guides for a couple of the trips.

I would recomment this holiday resort to anyone that wants a relaxing holiday with trips booked. It is not too good for a spur of the moment "let's go out" as it is a bit isolated but you can take a horse n cart to Guardalavaca and the craft market. There is also a beautiful beach there with bars and places to eat. There and back with an hour or so to stay cost us 20 pesos. Check with the driver of the cart the price BEFORE you get in though.
If you are looking for a lovely relaxed hotel, entertainment, lovely food and beautiful beaches then I definately recommend this for you. All you need to pack are bikinis, sarongs, flip flops and sun cream. Of course, if you are a man you might need shorts too!!!! ;o)
Oh... men will need long trousers for some of the restaurants and I did take a couple of posh frocks to sassy myself up in so ladies might want to bear that in mind although for the most part it is just relaxed casual clothing.
Can I please say one thing - these people do their very best to make you happy, they earn very little so please try and find some money for tipping and if you can, perhaps leave some bits and pieces behind. I left some summer clothing I can always replace, shoes, toiletries, perfume and books/magazines. Also candy/chocolate if you can bring some with you (it's not easy to buy over there) as the kids in the small villages were very happy to receive a little bit of this as you pass thru on any of your excursions.

We spent 2 weeks in glorious 33 degrees sunshine and it was only overcast for the last 2 days. Came back with a fantastic tan, lots of rum, cigars and marraccas (not sure if that spelt correctly) and a big smile we cannot wipe off our faces. We are booking to go back next year!!!

8 Thank Shirley H
MohamadFawzi, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this review, December 24, 2009
Dear “WhirlyShirl”:

With great satisfaction, on behalf of the staff and management teams, I thank you for the courtesy you have shown by rendering your comments of your stay at our Resort on Trip Advisor. We would like you to know that we have conveyed your comments to our staff; they are the ones responsible for our results because of their daily efforts. all of us wish you Happy Holidays.
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

This my favorite place in all world. I visited this place second tme and will go again and again. Love people, service, hotel, food is an amazing. I love spending my holiday in Sol Mares, Playa Esmiralda, very good place for relaxing. You can do different type of activities if you want: Hobbie Cats, Catamaran, boats, beach, snack bars. Everything is very good organized for holiday, but i m not sure that it is very good place for holiday with children, not really much entertainment for children. But very very good place, my the best!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank promisecomeback
Dear “VeronikaSouthampton”
On behalf of our staff, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences and for have given us the opportunity to contribute on making your stay so enjoyable.

We'll be pleased to see you again at "Sol Rio Luna Mares". All the best for you on this coming 2010.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,924 reviews

Been to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares? Share your experiences!