“great spot for a girls holiday, or simple get away”

Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I visited this resort in November 2013 with a friend. We chose Cuba because of the no single supplement special. This resort is a great spot for a relaxing week and you become one of family as the week goes on. Our favourite staff were Jose (lobby bar) and Hecor (Mexican restaurant). Food is just fine, 'champagne" was available everywhere ( my only drink choice), and the beach is spectacular. Lots of stairs to beach area, but you can reduce the number of stairs by walking to the Luna side and finding the winding path that ends in 50% less stairs to beach. The view from the Luna side ocean front rooms is amazing - I would not choose any other room - building 5 or 6 we found the best.

Room Tip: ocean front, building 5 or 6
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KingstonDuo
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Hola KingstonDuo,
We are happy that we were able to make you feel part of the family. That is the best reward we can receive! Thank you for writing your review! We will congratulate Hector and Jose.
Hoping to see you again in 2014!
Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Our family had a wonderful vacation in December at this resort. We found the beach to be the best we've seen in Cuba so far. The steps to the beach were no issue for us, in fact I love the fact that you can see the beach when standing up top at the pool! The rooms are typical Cuban, not fancy but clean. There is lots to do if you so choose, we went to relax so didn't partake in too much. The food was good, no complaints. Mexican & French were fantastic. The snack bar on the Luna side has awesome pizza and fried calamari. We did the all day catamaran, snorkel, dolphin swim & lobster lunch excursion - it was a great day! We enjoyed the entertainment in the lobby bar each night. The staff were all friendly, especially "Jenny" at the swim up bar. Our only disappointment was too many roaming cats and no frosty slush drinks. We would certainly return to this resort again. We stayed on the Mares side and would again, Luna seems older & is much quieter (too quiet for us) Thanks Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Paula R

Hola Paula R,
Happy New Year! Thank you and your family for choosing us! And thank you for your kind words.
Hoping to see you again,
Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the hotel December 14-28th 2013.
When we arrived we decided to upgrade to a suite. The suite was gorgeous with two bedrooms a living room and two baths. The balcony was to die for. We found that upon her arrival most of the staff remembered us from last year. I can't say enough about the staff at this hotel. Everyone is friendly and attentive. As you approach the bars the servers will ask you what you would like and tell you to sit down and they'll bring it to you. The restaurant cooks go out of their way to make sure that your food is cooked exactly as you would like it. The dining room staff are wonderful and take care of every need. Our maid was the same made we had last year. Even she remembered us. She was fantastic. I can't say enough about her. One day I accidentally left the safe wide open. Nothing was touch and nothing was missing. She always made sure that our room was lovely with her design of swans different each day. The front desk staff are fantastic and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and right at home. Through the two weeks that we were at the hotel, due to weather in Canada, some of the flights were delayed and the hotel staff had to deal with some very upset customers. This is no fault of the hotel and the staff did everything they could to keep you informed of the situation.
As I said in the last review the hotel is quite lovely. They are in the process of repainting the lobby with some lovely pinks and beiges. Although the hotel has several stairs going to the beach it also has ramps. The beach is beautiful, as all beaches anywhere in Cuba. The lagoon down from the beach was my favorites last year, although this year they closed the lagoon in. That was a little disappointing.
I missed the water ballet last year which was quite disappointing but I did get a chance to see if this year and it was wonderful. The entertainment was pretty typical of Cuba but quite enjoyable. This particular hotel make sure that entertainment is done in different areas throughout the week.
Our two boys met us in Cuba for a week this year. They loved the hotel. This is the second time they have been to Cuba and enjoy this hotel much more than the other one they went too.
We invited to other couples this year that had not been to hold Dean. Both couples loved the hotel and will be back with us next year.
Thank you once again for another great trip. See you next year.

Room Tip: I'm not telling you my room because I need it next year. LOL
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Joy T

Dear Joy T from Kingston,
It will be wonderful to welcome you back. We are very happy that you, your children and your friends, all had a great time with us. We are indeed painting the lobby, the Buffet, and is good to know the colors are to your liking.
We hope you will like it even better when you return!
Thank you so much and Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Me and my husband just returned from an amazing holiday here on the 24th and I am still gutted!! The staff here are amongst the kindest and friendliest people I have ever met and will go out of their way to make your holiday enjoyable. Big thank you and Hola to all the entertainment staff, reception staff, bar staff, restaurant staff, security guards, watersports guys, sunlounger guy and anyone else I have missed - you are fantastico! There are plenty of activities to enjoy such as volleyball, water polo (my favourite) and spanish dance classes. The beach is amazing with powder white sand and turquoise blue sea. My husband had to prise me from my stool at the beach bar as talking to Orlando (best barman ever) and getting to know people from all over the world was brilliant - not too mention the lunchtime rum :) which helped pass the afternoon rather pleasantly!!

Our room was large, kept in good, clean condition by our maid Maria and we were really pleased with it (We stayed in 3022 in the Mares section) and there was not one single bug in the room the entire stay which was a dream come true as I get freaked out by them!

The food at the buffet was also better than I expected and I found it easy to find something to eat every night. I wasn't as keen on the a la carte's but they were still fine, French for me was the best and the Mediterranean not as good. The antipasti at the italian was very enjoyable. The Mexican was decent but I was a little disappointed that we arrived before a number of other guests and got served after all of them. Also, the service was rather slow. I really enjoyed the snack bar at La Nina, this was my favourite meal of the day - the shrimps and chicken were very tasty. The 24 hour snack bar Galileo was good during the day and up until about 10pm but for some reason after this time they only had toasted sandwiches when I asked which was a little disappointing but again not the end of the world.

Nothing would stop me from returning to this resort again (except money) and I am saving up the pennies again as we speak in the hope of returning at the end of 2014.

Tip: take an insulated plastic tumbler for keeping your drinks cool from bar to beach.

You wont or shouldn't be disappointed! If you like the rum, nice friendly people and are laid back you should have a brilliant time and meet lots of great people. Book it!

Buenes Dias ;)

Katy (Scotland)

Room Tip: The Mares section is livelier but not too much and the Luna section is a lot more chilled. I feel t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank KateCG

Dear KateCG,
Thank you so much for your comments. Our staff will be really pleased that you have rated them “1st class”. We will let them all know that you mentioned them.
We hope to see you again in 2014!
Wishing you the best in the New Year!

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

This resort is a perfect place to bring your family. The staff is very helpful and the food is kid-friendly. The ocean view room is very much worth the extra money. The beach is very well kept. But like any resort or beach, you must save you chairs and shade early in the morning. The activities in the pool were a lot of fun.

Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank CanadianCC
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Canadian CC,
We do hope you return in the future to enjoy more of our Playa Esmeralda, food and activities.
We wish you a Happy New Year! From all the staff in Sol Rio de Luna y Mares,
Hoping to see you again in 2014!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sol Rio Luna Y Mares resort from Dec 5-12. All in all, we had a great time. We went to relax and that is exactly what we did. We have been to Cuba many times before so we had an idea of what to expect but I still find this resort is of a lower standard. The layout is great and once upon a time it must have been very nice, but today it is in need of lots of renovations. The rooms are really dated, but for the price we paid, we really cannot complain. Our room was always very clean, never saw any bugs. We were on the Mares side (2060) which was perfect, right above the pool with partial ocean view. Food was alright. We always found something to eat, even if it was repetitive. What helped was the friendly staff and the SPECTACULAR beach!!!!!!!!! It was simply gorgeous! Very wide beach area, beautiful soft white sand, gorgeous, clear turquoise water, many many palapas or palm trees for shade. Literally, this is where we spent our entire days. I cannot comment on the entertainment or activities as we were always on the beach and didnt quite make it the shows at night. However, at night, there was always something going on at the mares lobby bar, whether musicians or singers, which was pleasant to listen to while enjoying a drink.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cathybeach
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Cathybeach from Montreal,
We are indeed doing renovations almost all the time. We are always trying to improve our rooms. We know we are very lucky to have a gorgeous beach that our guests love and we do our best to provide good food and service. We are happy to know that you had a great time despite what you didn’t like.
Thank you and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The BAD points. most of the entertainment staff are lovely. Susie barely spoke to me throughout my whole 2 week stay she doesn't make much effort at all, the other lady is lovely! she is by far the best so nice and so genuine unlike some of the male entertainment staff. Be careful of them if you are female as they make 'friends' with girls but we all know its not friendship they are wanting. I sat and watched them one day they spent most of their time with certain 'friends' disregarding other people staying in the hotel. Highly unprofessional.

The GOOD points: the beach is beautiful! the food is good a lot of people complained about it but its really not that bad. the bar staff and waiters/waitresses are very helpful and efficient. The rooms are cleaned daily with the fresh water everyday. The checking in system is brilliant- its all done for you before you get there and are handed your keys on the coach at the airport. The Mexican restaurant is beautiful the food is amazing!

I don't think ill be coming back to this hotel in the future but I would definitely visit Cuba again its a beautiful country.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kellyh572

Hola Kellyh572 from Manchester,
We are very sorry that this is the perception you had from our entertainment team. We will certainly look into this. We believe our staff is always striving to offer the best service possible and it is a pity that 1 person or experience would change the good impression we would have caused you otherwise.
If you change your mind and decide to come back we will be pleased to welcome you and make sure you have a wonderful time with us.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
director.general.srm@meliacuba.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA

Been to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares? Share your experiences!