“2 weeks in paradise!”

Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Just back from 2 weeks in paradise! Myself and my boyfriend loved it and we recommend Cuba and the hotel to everyone.

The hotel was clean and staff were fantastic our best friend Jenny Jenny from the bar! She worked so hard and made a great rum punch in the pool swim up bar!
The maids work hard and made sure room was cleaned everyday and had our bottles of water in the fridge.
Juan Carlos the rep is so funny don't just book it Thomas cook it and great at his job and booked our trips with him and shared good information.

Only complaints were food could be a bit repetitive for 2 weeks but the restaurants were nice change. Mexican was good and we loved the French went twice and service was fantastic! Italian however service worst I've ever experienced and food was pretty awful too!
The staff at the mares side seem to be more friendly and happy however the men on the bar at night were rude and dismissive when trying to order a drink and didn't like giving you water.

The entertainment was hit or a miss water ballet fantastic and the circus amazing however after shows there is nothing expect beach bar starts at 11 and group of young people we met wanted to go listen to good music get drunk and have a dance. This was not the case music dj played was rubbish just Cuban music which don't mind however same stuff all day and at night for 2 weeks a bit annoying. We asked him if he had English music he would play one song and then back to same rubbish.

Overall the hotel was good but few things such as rude staff and entertainment would be be improve on.

Excursions we went on-

Paradise island
Amazing beautiful place and we loved this one! The beaches were like something out a movie and felt like real paradise.

Cuba inside
Long day and bit boring. Cigar factory your are not shown much and in there for 5 minutes and then taken to show which was good with Cuban style. Then to holiguin centre good market but so many people begging and struggle getting back on couch which down side.

Dine with dolphins
Best trip amazing! Do the three tricks my boyfriend did got great pictures. We gave camera to one of the staff took loads! Dolphins so friendly and well looked after. The sea lion show so funny and loved the dolphin show. Meal was lovely had lobster for first time and will have again. Then to end catamaran ride into the sunset with all inclusive bar. Fantastic!

Cuba life
Shown how the Cubans live they are so poor and have nothing but they are so happy! Go first to a small village see doctors house and then on to Indian village weird but a laugh and also the Cuban farm which was great! Farmer showed us what he grows and his way of life. Then to the market where can get loads souvenirs and to the bar. Great day out and real insight to real Cuba

Cuban people are so lovely and friendly and as I mentioned really don't have a lot if you go on these trips take any clothes you may leave or toiletries to give to the people in the villages they really appreciate it! Many people give to hotel worker who actually are the better off Cubans and live in better conditions to those in the small villages.

We really loved Cuba and would go again met some lovely people and best holiday we ever been to!

Thank you to all the staff and the tour guides and much love to the Cuban people!

Cuba is special place and will remain in our hearts!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank XbarbzX
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear XbarbzX,
It is good to know that overall this was the best holiday you have had.
Thank you for your opinions on what you did not like, your suggestions and for recommending us.
Please, we will love to contact you on your next visit, do not hesitate to do so if it pleases you.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited August 2012 however forgot to rate hotel then?
Arrived mid afternoon to be greeted with a cocktail and was allocated a room in the Mares side on a high floor as requested.
Room was a little dated but spotlessly clean, bathroom the same we had no problems with anything for the 3 weeks we booked.
Food was always very good in the buffet and the specialty restaurants also first class.
Staff worked very hard and always had a smile and welcome where ever we went.
In conclusion GO YOU WILL LOVE THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StevePhillips776264
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear StevePhillips7762,
Thank you for your review. We would love to have you back in Luna Mares!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband and myself have visited his resort for the third time taking other family with us and i have to say the staff as pleasent as ever, the resort as beautiful as ever and the country as facinating as ever, however as a third time guest did not get offered any extras as we did the year before and it seems as though the commercial side of package holidays is catching on fast as we have seen the difference in the last four years and sad as its seems is spoiling the natural beauty of the people and this fantastic place.We will not be returning again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sweetiepie41
Reviewed September 26, 2013

just returned from the Sol Luna Y Mares. spent another wonderful time. This was my 12th time, cant get enough of the place.
This has to be the best place to go with out young kids. the snorkeling is fantastic the beach with the powdery white sand cant asked for more.
I sent an e-mail ahead of time and everything was ready when we arrived Juan-Carlos, Vivian and the staff at the reception made sure of that.
Even Ronald had our a la carte restaurant reservations at the reception desk.
Lots of renovations are being done at the moment. The Nina one of the restaurant- bar is getting a face lift the drinks are at the beach club. Don't forget this hotel is 22 years old. there is lots of good guest that has come through here (and some that don't care)
The beach on the Mares side is more beautiful than ever, while the Luna side had some damages done to it due to winds, but as usual mother nature will fix that as usual. I've seen it before.
The worst part is the Rio the Oro beach where the best snorkeling is done the entrance is rocky. I've seen it change worst to best in matter of a couple of months there is nothing to worry.
The Flea market in Guardalavaca has doubled in size it's worth the trip, you can go 2 couple in a horse drawn carriage for 15 CUC return trip.
You don't want to miss Cuban day, it's worth it, for those who have been there it's on Saturday now for a couple of months. it will return on Friday's in the new year.
thank to all that made our stay as pleasant as always; Amaury, Yanelea Paula, Orlando, Kathy, Yusimi, Nicola, Maelys, Franco and his staff, Juan-carlos, Vivian, Leena at human resource. Lysandro you rock and also Mr. Manual. there are more but I forgot their names.
You want to visit that place which is a 4 star and be treated by a seven (7) personnel.
I am returning in February for two more weeks.

6  Thank detteLasalle

Dear detteLasalle,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We will make sure to pass on your praises to the staff that you mention,
We look forward to seeing you here again!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My Husband and I have just returned from a 2 week stay here for our Honeymoon. We had a fantastic time.

I can see some earlier comments about renovations etc, I will agree on this but it is just a minor fault. I think the hotel staff, cleanliness, beach and pools make up for this!!!

We booked our holiday through Thomas Cook, we were picked up at the Airport by coach and a rep checks you in before you get to the coach so you can just enjoy your welcome drink and not be queuing for ages.

We had a lovely room with a massive bed and a great view of the beach, unfortunately we were on the Luna side which turned out to be a long walk every day as we decided to spend most days by the pool on the Mares side of the resort. There were a couple of faults in our room like the balcony door not shutting properly and the little red ants that have a very nasty bite! But we stuck with it as we are not the type of people to complain. If I stayed here again I would not hesitate to ask to move rooms as some people we met while on Holiday explained that they had a similar problem and were then given the option to move to another room.

The resort has two sides the Luna & the Mares, Luna side is very quiet with a nice pool, snack bar and a nice quite bar that has gentle evening entertainment. The Mares side is more lively with a bigger pool with a swim up bar and a lobby bar which also hold the chidrens/evening entertainment.

The food in the buffet restaurant was average and we did get a bit fed up of seeing the same thing everyday. We tried all the Al carte restaurants, French, Italian, Mexican & Mediterranean. We really enjoyed the French which we thought had the best selection of menu and the best service, the other 3 were just ok. Due to the Holiday being our Honeymoon we were invited to a evening of music, lobster and champagne which turned out to be our favourite meal. The entertainment was ok and my husband enjoyed playing water polo most days in the pool. The best entertainment was the water ballet.

The resorts beach is absolutely stunning and the biggest compared to other resorts in the area. The sea is crystal clear and warm enough to take regular dips! We took advantage of the free water sports and went on a pedalo, catamaran and a kayak.

We went on three excursions with Thomas cook, one was the dolphin half day which was fantastic, we got picked up at 9am and taken to the destination which was about 10 minutes from resort, we were then given 20 minutes in with the dolphins and a choice to do extra exercises at a low cost (definitely worth the money). We then got to watch a dolphin and sealion show and taken back to resort afterwards. We also went on the Cuba life excursion where we went to the market, a doctors house, a farmers house where we got to try homemade cheese and guava jelly and then to the old Indian village to have lunch which was very nice. The third trip we went on was the speed boats which was also great fun!

I would definitely recommend this hotel as a good deal for money but I would explain to them to speak up if they had a problem with there room as the staff would definitely be accommodating for them. I would definitely return to this hotel if I was to go back to Cuba but for now I want to see more of the world (you only live once).

5  Thank LauraWaddi13
Ricardo M, Director General at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear LauraWaddi13,

So happy to know you enjoyed your honeymoon. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any request next time, even before your arrival. We will be happy to accommodate it.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have just returned from a two week stay (09/09-23/09), and have to say after reading all the reviews I was going with an open mind. That was completely blown out of the water. We arrived to a drinks reception then went to our room on the Luna side. The room itself was nicely decorated and clean, and had everything we needed. The bathroom was in need of some upgrading, however it did the job, was clean, the water was always warm and was fine for the little time we spent in our room.

I was expecting good service, however I was not expecting exceptional service. Whether it be the maid, reception, grounds or waiting staff, everyone was exceptionally friendly, helpful and efficient. You could not walk past someone without a "good morning" or "Hola", it was so refreshing and made you feel really good.

Our remote control was not working, and within 2 hours of us reporting this we had someone in the room fixing this, which I was surprised and impressed with. We had no other problems with any of the facilities in our room, it was cleaned every day and our maid Minerva surprised us with some fantastic towel art each day.

There was plenty of food each day in the buffet, it was of good quality and variety, but if you are expecting the same food as the UK then you will be disappointed, only because some things taste different like cheese. But then again if you wanted food from back home why go to another country?? The A La Carte restaurants were also great, the French was by far the best, but Mexican, Mediterranean and Italian were also good. Some reviews have complained about the buffet being repetitive, but if you spread out your visits between the buffet and the A La Carte then it's fine.

We also spent most of our days on the beach, this was because we enjoyed the breeze and had lunch in La Pinta most days. I found the food to be fantastic here and great service also. I must also add that that hotel had the most amazing Mangoes that I have ever tasted, I could eat those every day for the rest of my life happily!

We also booked a couple of trips with our Thomas Cook rep Luis Carlos, who again was fantastic. The trips were amazing, the Dolphin swim was fantastic value for money and the best one I have ever been on, you get a lot of time in the water with the dolphins and is very special. We also booked another trip that we were the only ones on, we had a boat all to ourselves but they still went ahead and we were treated like princesses for the whole day.

I also enjoyed visiting in September, as the weather was great, there were very few children, it was not overly busy at the beach, pools or restaurants, and the trips were all available and not too busy.

I can't thank the staff enough at this hotel for making our holiday so special and I can't wait to return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Susan W
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Susan W,
Thank you for your kind words. We are very happy that you liked the food, all the restaurants, the staff and people.
Making your holiday special is our main goal!
We hope to see you here again,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This site contains two hotels within the same owners.Sol Rio de Mares and Sol roi de luna.
Mares was the noisier ,luna rather quiet which suited us.All the all inclusive stuff was there,including 4 specialist restaurants French, Med, Cuban,and Italian..You can go to these 1 night each during your stay,and if there is space more.You can get trips from here and the facilities here are good.
The main Restaurant serves mainly Cuban food which is ok but not quite to my taste.Service with all staff is good and friendly.Rooms good.This hotel is a little tired and could do with refurbishment,and we had a few faults in the room but I must say upon informing of fault this was repaired within minutes .Apparently Thomson are pulling out of this hotel ,reason unknown.We were there 9 days and never got bored once.Worth a visit.

4  Thank Spud C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares? Share your experiences!