Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA
$80
$134
$118
  • Breakfast included
Islazul Villa Don Lino(Rafael Freyre)
  • Pool
Hotel Pernik(Holguin)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
8,226 results
All reviewsbeer gardenmojito bara la carte restaurantsseafoodthomas cooklobby barice cream parlourthe grillgreat holidayla gondolapremium sectionsuperior roomdolphin tripprawnstwo weeksisland paradisegolf buggy
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Although the majority of the travelers are mature, this has been one of the best resorts I have been to. Staff is super friendly (some have a language translation issue but no biggie). The only resort that has food and drinks 24hrs. Probably the biggest pool on a resort I have ever seen too.

Locals are super friendly in the neighbourhood when you go off the resort!!

Just remember to bring your own ketchup!!!

Only issue was the distance to the closest town which was holguin.

Room Tip: Pay the extra 50 for an upgraded room with better showers and a bit more space.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank bradr879
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Firstly I would like to make comment about being ripped off by Thomson\Tui, they sold this as a Platinum premium hotel package, but what you get is the budget brand First Choice. So if you want to book this holiday book it from the First Choice brochure and save yourself a heap of money.

Everything about the package holiday screams “budget” brand. The plane was a very old & tired First Choice one which in my mind was only fit for the scrap heap, others on the plane were worried about the strange noises one of the engines was making. They had replaced the carpet and in doing so covered the emergency floor lighting, but then again it was so old perhaps it didn’t have any to start with. The seats in the Premium section were devoid of any padding, I’ve sat on more comfortable park benches (but not for 10.5 hours). Return night flight was no better, same worn out plane, seats were absolutely awful, lost all flight entertainment shortly after takeoff, this also controlled the overhead lighting you could not even read as you could not turn on just your overhead lights. The front toilet even ran out of water, for flushing & hand washing.

You are greeted by First Choice reps at both airport & hotel, which again leaves questions about where is the Platinum touch and why is this sold as Platinum, because I never saw any Platinum extras? I’m not saying these reps didn’t do a good job, as they worked hard and long hours to provide you with the typical holiday support services, its just I was paying more for a Platinum package not a First Choice package. I could simply not see what I was paying extra for. Some people we met on holiday had similar room, same faculties at First Choice prices.

Thomson\Tui seem happy to cheat & rip off customers without any conscience, after 15 years of Thomson holidays I doubt I will book another with them unless I see some recompense, somehow I think I will see pigs fly first.

Resort & Hotel - What I liked

Hotel
Staff efficiently & friendliness
Cleanness in all areas
Hotel Facilities
Coffee carriage
Gardens
Pool
Room (but not Platinum standard)
Food – choice and variation
Restaurants
Beach
Live entertainment that played music pre 9:00pm (Piano, Singers, Sax & Clarinet)
Grill cook at on-demand cooking station in main restaurant
Branded drinks
Fish & Chip stall
Pig Roast
Hot Dog stall
Ponds & fish

What I didn’t like

Lack of any dress code in main restaurants & lobby bar (wet seats are not nice)
Large groups of men getting drunk 24/7 (Stag parties)
Guests flashing money notes to get the staffs attention just to queue jump.
Drunks fighting late at night.
Wedding parties taking over public areas
Cans and bottles around pool early morning (late night\early morning drinkers)
Losing chairs from table in restaurant, taken by large groups creating larger tables
Sun beds being reserved\toweled at 6:00am (Brits are worst for this)
Having to wait 10 days to see butter for bread\toast
Evening entertainment after 9:00pm being repetitive (Everything dance themed)
Kids still on stage when the evening entertainment started
Smokers blocking up toilet faculties with cigarette butts.
Pool water quality does not appear to be monitored during day.
General Managers farewell cocktail party, last to arrive, nearly first to leave.
Nobody from the management team could be bothered to speak with the leaving guests
Queue jumpers (normally those speaking French)

Trips Out

Green & Blue safari
Brilliant day out, fun on the speed boats, followed by seeing & meeting real Cubans.
Riding horses in National Park, followed by some history with seeing Columbus lookalike and dance welcome from native tribe dating back to Columbus landing era. Finally visiting the landing area itself.

Deep Sea Fishing
Caught nothing (all 3 boats – 13 fishermen)…….what can you say “Gutted”

Ocean Paradise catamaran
Great day for snorkeling, quickly getting wet in the nets, drinking & dancing, even caught a small Barracuda. Adults get presented a free small bottle of Rum as a gift. Finished off which a nice meal off the local beach.

VIP lounge – Holguin Airport
Don’t think twice, beats the large queues at check in, AC lounge with free drinks and snacks and proper chairs. Then priority for boarding plane which means you get to the overhead lockers first.

Summary

• Great hotel, with great staff providing great service.
• Not really a adult\couples hotel, more suited to families with young kids
something you quickly notice around pool.
• GM cocktail party missed the opportunity to pickup honest feedback.
• Lots to do daytime, not so entertaining during evenings.
• Nice beach.
• Daily weddings, brings in large groups who take over some public areas.
• Nothing locally outside of hotel grounds.
• Have to book trips and get out stopping the boredom factor.
• Get up early to beat the Brits if you want a sun bed at pool.
• Beach attendant will carry bed to your preferred beach location.
• Money given after good service is a tip
• Money given before service is a bribe (Think about it Canadians)

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished one, its W.I.P at resort but it adds value to your holiday stay Beds are firm so if like us you like a firm bed, then you will sleep like a log. Beware of large crabs on ground floor rooms which will wander in if allowed. Farther away from hotel centre, quieter things are, unless you get a large all male stag party group in your block
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Fishing-Badger
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just returned from first visit and to be honest after reading the reviews was quite excited. However, how disappointed I was. Flight over was delayed two hours, Thomson/first choice crew not very pleasant. we were checked in on the coach, bellboys collected us and took us to room. The room smelt of damp but can only assume this was due to humidity in resort and air conditioning. The hotel is massive and quite frankly too many visitors for the staff to cope with. There are two buffet restuarants crillo and latino, latino is a smaller version and only has certain items crillo is the larger and you have to queue to get in even when it opens at 7.30am for breakfast and 6.30pm for dinner. Really needs two sittings. A La cartes were booked for us on arrival and after the rep meeting booked a la cartes for remainder of the holiday. If it wasnt for the lovely lady who booked then all up, I certainly would not have gone in the buffett for an evening meal. Breakfast was just about bareable.

If you are not up and have reserved your pool or beach bed with your towel you have got no chance of getting any beds. The management need to sort this out as a priorety. They also need to address the sizing of travels mugs that clients are allowed to use, keg size taking half a bottle of rum is quite frankly a nonsense and greedy.

We stayed in block 64 which was a 5 mins walk tops to the lobby bar. Entertainment the same each week so second week can become a little boring.

My husband and I were both ill at this hotel and had to be treated by the doctor, not sure if it was food or the heat but am aware others were also ill.

The hotel is ok but management really need to address sizing issues have travelled all over the world and this is certainly not a 5 star as indicated by Thomsons more like a 3+-4 tops

Any other questions please feel free to email me

Room Tip: block 64 close if you have children
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kerrieGillinghamKent
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Playa Pasquero hotel:
MUST READ: I have read several mixed reviews, opinions vary from person to person dependant on who or what you are but you don't know enough about that person who is writing to compare to how you would feel so here is my review from a married man at the age of 28 that is up for just about anything and very open minded as well as pretty well travelled just arrived back from a holiday of a lifetime!
The hotel itself is classed as 5 star (Cuban rating) but passes as a 4 star, however that's not to say it wasn't fantastic in other areas. The only negative I feel (and this is me being pernickety as I work in property) is the quality of the rooms with regards to small things like dribble shower heads and not so great pathway lighting for night times and not very good evening entertainment.The rest exceeded my expectations because I did so much during the day that I wasn't fussed about evening entertainment I could easily have had a few drinks at the bars and mingled especially with the beer garden that's 24 hours.
So much to do and enjoy you'll never want to leave!!!
My advice and useful tips are as follows:
As soon as you arrive you may be lucky and check straight in or you may have to linger, if its the latter then get ya trunks or whatever out, slap on a LOAD of lotion and go chill by the pool and start your holiday at immediately! Once we'd arrived we checked when the travel agent hours were and booked all our trips up and planned the days in advance because they do get booked early, then we had the remaining days to relax after some amazing activities. Look into the brochures in great depth ask your agents advice and then form your decision on what you wish to do on the back of it. Oh and make sure you take loads of spending money because you may want to do as much as possible as its a long way to go miss out.
Tips: are what the workers come to expect, you can't tip everyone always especially if your all inclusive otherwise you end up Paying for the drinks literally. Although when the tour guides were great they more than deserved it and I also gave them beer and coke from our fridge.
Food I thought was wonderful plenty of choice at the grills/Buffett and you can fresh food cooked in front of you. Waitresses were super friendly always filling up your glass with water and love a cheeky smile and a "buenos Dias or Hola" politeness costs nothing and It makes everyone happy!
The pool: I loved greatly! But people put their towels out early on so may be worth getting up at 7am in the morning putting your towels out to reserve, go for breakkie at 07:30 and then you can go back to it whenever. If your not going on an excursion that is. Or why not do the same at the beach. Hire some free snorkelling gear and go off and explore, there's a lot to be said about exploring with ya snorkel! I went really far out and found a large lump of coral to chillax on and I was still not out of depth. It's a tropical paradise just make sure your not barefoot on the rocks or you'll fall victim to sea urchin spines so if you see them steer clear as they really hurt when they get in your foot! But you should take out a packet of crackers and feed the fish and they'll surround you it's great fun! You may get the odd nip but its all fun. Just let people know when and where your going. Because I had a tendency to drift out far.

Trips I did:

Swimming with dolphins:
If you've never done it before then do it, not cheap but I've been reminiscing ever since and you only live once. I also volunteered my services in the show so I got so swim with dolphins and do tricks twice over so don't be shy and be a Guinea pig/performing monkey, you won't regret it (pay extra to do the tricks with them, well worth it for an extra £30)

Speedboat:
Two of you get half an hours driving each, great fun following a convoy through the lagoons as well as a bit of 007 speeding. They don't go ridiculously fast but do pay attention to the safety tips given its a great feeling, sun and wind in ya face and in control of your own personal speedboat.

Holguin tour:
Visiting the city and seeing how they make cigars was actually very humbling although the heat was intense so take plenty of water and sun protection goes without saying. Get a mojito in the local bar it's amazing and if your guide is Julian who calls us (family) then your very lucky indeed as he was fantastic! Take a can of beer or something for the locals and they'll love you. A pleasant day out.

Sunset cruise:
Although it piddled down with rain and we didn't get a sunset (you cannot predict tropical weather) we still had a great time on the cattermaran. Again the tour guide "Alberto" and crew were great fun and we met some wonderful people on board. After we shared a memorable snorkelling session and fed the fish underwater we became great friends had lots to drink and laughed and giggled like little kids because we were so happy. Then dried off and went for a nice dinner to finish the trip in style.

Island paradise:
My wife and I were sunbathing on the roof of the cattermaran with the wind in our face and a tropical rum punch, that's what I call living the dream. Got to another great snorkelling point for more memorable snorkelling (didn't realise how much I loved fish til now) then got off on the glorious island, white sandy beaches, bright blue waters, something out of a movie! Then again went up for some yummy Buffett food that's was so tasty! Got back on the cattermaran and the heavens opened! Whilst loved ones were hugging one another to keep warm I was up enjoying the Latino music dancing the salsa and drinking rum with me ole chum Alberto again, then it became infectious and before you knew it half of the people on board were joining in and making the most of the poor weather which didn't dampen my spirits for a second despite feeling a little ropey from a lingering cold!

Scuba diving:
I was a complete novice surrounded by experienced individuals (apart from my mother in law) so we were taken out together and given a personalised service at the same cost despite me cowering out once we got to the deep sea because 15ft is a long way down when your not confident although I kicked myself for not overcoming my fear of the deep blue sea and challenging myself now to get my PADI and get good at scuba as there's a whole world down there bustling with life and gagging to be explored and I'm kicking myself for not doing it!

• Stayed: April 2013
28  Thank Votta
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed at Playa Pesquero on 27th Feb for 2 weeks.
The hotel is massive and there are rooms both close and far from the amenities - we were quite lucky and had a room close to the beach and pool block 58!

The rooms: they are massive and have a large bed in them, one tip try and shower at 6, to guarantee toasty water, learnt this as the weeks went on. Rooms were always cleaned and towel art most days.

The pool: this is absolutely huge but is split into 2 sections, the loads and the quiet, we stuck to the quiet section as we're not fussed for the swim up bar or entertainment - pool was cold but it was great to escape from the heat, it's maximum depth is about 1.5metres which is great as you don't need to swim at the pool there was a deep fried fish bar, the fish here was amazing and we tend to snack on it a lot throughout the day.

The beach: seen people say is not very long, it's 1km to the end, which was a nice stroll watching the sun going down, we only spent one day in the sea and the water was lovely, there was always sun beds around.

The food: we dined at most of the al carte restaurants aswell as the buffet, we had 1 issue at the buffet where the chef cooked chicken for less than 5 mins and it was still pink, never seen that chef again though. In the buffet there are lots or cooking stations, steak, stir fry, pasta - we tended to get food from these, you do have to queue though. The food was also warm from the dishes so didn't need to worry if you don't want to wait for food.

The al carte: we went to the Caribbean, the Italian, the romantic, the grill and one of the paying restaurants. These were all very good, i thoroughly enjoyed the Caribbean even though some reviews said it wasn't good. the only thing I'd say is in the paying restaurant they actually give you too much food, which was off putting.

Trips: we done a lot of trips whilst we were here - dine with dolphins, this was absolutely amazing and would recommend to anybody. Challenge 4x4' this was great again, went on jet ski's horse riding, to a farm and up a mountain well worth the money. We done Holguin inside, this is good but a lot of travelling in the bus, the cigar factory was good and best place to buy cigars. We done the trolling trip and caught the smallest fish possible. Island paradise, this was a catamaran trip and they took you to "an island" it most definitely isn't an island but the beaches are beautiful and the sea was great fun.

Room Tip: Block 58 - close to beach and pools
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple