“IF you are looking for a very relaxing getaway with the kids or family, this is the place”

Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Toronto
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We went here for Christmas so we did'nt get the deal we were looking for, but it was well worth the money we paid. IT is about an hour away from Holguin, situated just off the water with a small wildlife preserve between the resort and the beach. Check in was easy, and the rooms are spacious with nice balconies. This resort has several bars scattered around the grounds, so you're never trekking around for the next drink. Lots of families, mostly couples looking to relax. I did'nt see any real Partyers which was fine with us since we went to get away from the Christmas crazyness. Food was AMAZING! Chef's here really go all out for a 4 star, we never went hungry. The Christmas eve gala was Excellent, above and beyond anything I was expecting. All in all I'd say the only thing that I could say negative about this resort is that it's in the middle of nowhere, which is fine if you want to relax. The beach is really nice, get there early if you want a lounger, they disappear quick (before 9AM one morning!) The service was great,but some of the servers were a little slow, quick to take care of the regulars, but not very attentive if they did'nt know you. We tipped very well and this seemed to help out a bit. Overall I would highly recommend this resort for couples looking to relax, or families looking to do the same.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brandingo32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal QC Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I was at the Playa Costa Verde from December 24 to the 31st 2009.

I'll mention the positive and the negative points.

The positive :
- the room was big. I had asked (in advance) for a quiet location on the second floor and the quality manager got me that.

- I went there hoping to snorkle from the beach, without having to buy excursions. I was able to do it. The good spots are at the left and right side of the beach. Or, you can use a peddle boat, go further at sea and jump. Only one peddle boat as a ladder... so if you are alone, you need that one. You wouldn't be able to get back on the boat without it. It was my first time snorkling and I enjoyed the fishes and flora. Of course you won't see a great variety of fishes, as you would if you went on the catamaran excursion, but I still enjoyed it.

- The beach : the water is this nice turquoise. The sea was not agitated so I was able to swim every day. There was enough protection from the sun, if that's what you wanted, like me, but I did go reserve a place each morning before 8 h 30. The beach is short. If you like to walk for kilometers, you will not be able to do it there. There are rocks and "oursins". You need to bring water shoes. But I didn't mind that. If you do, don't go there.

- I didn't get sick with "la tourista". I drank water from bottles and the tap. No tummy problems. (But I kept away from any lettuce.)

The NEGATIVE points now... the reasons I will not go back there.

- there was a wider variety of vegetables, fishes and meats, at the buffet than I expected BUT everything was overcooked and then served COLD. All week. It's sad, really, they had the food, but "destroyed" it in the process of cooking and serving it. I got really fed up with the cold patatoes, rice, brocoli, etc. The food was blend. I could have dealt with that if at least it would have been warm. Burk !

- the service was bad also. When I go on a week down south - It's my forth trip. - On of the main reason I do it is because I want people to take care of me (for a change). In my past experience, the servers would offer water, coffee, etc. as soon as you seated yourself. NOT AT THE Playa Costa Verde, most of the time I had to look for a server to get water or drinks, napkins, etc. - I never experience something like that at other resorts. I don't know if it's a Cuban trait, since it's my first time in Cuba, or just a trait of this resort. -

- Apart from the server, most staff didn't look too happy about doing their jobs. I don't like being address to with a frown, by somebody that is suppose to take care of clients... and believe me I am not an impolite person. I ask politely in Spanish. I say thanks. I give gifts etc. No, there was a general attitude problem... again is it specific to the Playa for some managing problem or ... ?

- There was mold around the bathtub, it didn't bother me, but I want to mention it, in case it would bother you.

I will not go back because of the bad service and the food temperature. For the price I paid (1 370 $ CAN for 7 days in a single room), I know I can find something better elsewhere.

I hope this is usefull to you and the manager, if they decide to try improving the negative points I mentioned.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Sonia2008
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Just spent a wonderful 2 weeks at PCV.All the staff are so friendly and really look after you.I was a solo traveler and met some great people in the bar,where I must admit I spent a lot if time.The bar staff are great,my glass was filled up automatically,Edy and Sady are the only names I remember,they were great.
I enjoyed every meal I ate,didn,t go anywhere else but the buffet for my meals apart from the snack bar a few times and that was nice also.
The room was excellent and the hotel garden is beautiful.Beach is lovely,pool also very good.
Anyway I won,t ramble on I,ll just say I didn,t have one complaint and it is the best hotel I have ever been to.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank jonnydee
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I just returned from the Playa Costa Verde and I am in complete shock. This was not the resort our friends said it was. It's certainly not the resort I've been reading about on Trip Advisor either. The hotel is billed as a 4 star plus resort. In reality it's more like a 2 star. Back in it's heyday it was operated by Breezes. The hotel is now managed by Gaviota, which is under the umbrella of the Cuban military/government.

I've broken down my review in point form:

HOTEL/ACCOMADATIONS

- Structural damage to the exterior and interior of the villas. Plaster cracks and paint falling off everywhere.
- Villa exteriors were not cleaned. They need a good power wash.
- Bed sheets were constantly stained and had holes in them.
- Several power outages took place through out the week.
- The lock on our door broke down three times.
- Laundry system broke down. (No fresh towels for a while)
- The phone system did not work in our room for the entire week. Other patrons had the same problem.
- There is no consistent water temperature in the showers. I was scolded twice.
- There some confusion regarding checkout time. The hotel management was not very accommodating and demanded an extra 25 Cuban Convertible Pesos.
- On a positive note, the regular staff were friendly.

FOOD

- Disgusting!! Only found a few things to eat.
- Both my friend and myself became ill near the end of the vacation. We are still battling upset stomaches upon return.
- Everything seemed to be cooked in an unknown oil.
- The eggs were especially gross. Even the fresh omelets that were cooked to order came out bad.
- Some of the meat was undercooked.
- By the end of the trip we were living off of breadsticks and bottled water.

BEACH

- There is a layer of rocks and choral about 15 feet from the shore line. There are no warning signs to prepare you for this. I cut my knee open on the very first day.
- I have been to white sand beaches in the past and this is not really a white sand beach.
- Several times we had to wait 5-10 minutes for the beach chairs to be washed down.
- On positive note, you will not get hassled on the beach. It's very secure and safe.

OTHER

- The alcoholic beverages were pretty good. Since we both got sick from the food we were not able to enjoy much of it by the end of the trip.
- Don't bother with internet. It's slower than dial-up. (if that's possible)

So there you have it. I will never go back to this resort. I may never go back to Cuba again. I will also tell everyone I know to never stay at the Playa Costa Verde!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank retro27
Toronto
Reviewed December 11, 2009

we stayed at the resort Nov 27-Dec 4th
flight from Toronto was a bit of a pain...stuck at the airport for 5 hours – problems with the plane engine. Decided never to fly SKYSERVICE again!
Finally arrived at the hotel at 3 am – quick check in. We got a nice big room on a second floor. Huge bed and a side bed for our son. Bathroom clean, nice big bathtub.
The sink would take a while to drain but not a big problem.
Air conditioning worked ok. Broke down once but it was fixed right away.
The AC air quality not so great though especially if you have asthma. You can smell the mould in the air.
Food at the resort above my expectations – very impressed. Did the Italian restaurant – very impressed! Very fast service ;-)
Japanese – not as impressive as I thought. Good show – they cook in front of you but the food a bit too salty.
The beach is picture perfect – loved it! Nice soft sand, beautiful shells to collect. Great snorkelling.
Did the dolphin show. Worth the money!
Overall the week was fantastic. Best family vacation so far.
Would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank aggie_bella
Peterborough
Reviewed December 9, 2009

My wife and I spent a week at the resort.
The sfaff were friendly, rooms were clean, and pools well kept.
The beach was excellent, with white sand and great snorkling areas. The fish are amayzing when you are feeding them (bread and bananas from the buffet). I was happy with the short walk from our villa to the beach, pools, and main lobby. The resort is well layed out.
My only complaint, and not much of one really, was the food. I am far from a picky eater, but even I found the selections hit and miss. It wasn't all bad, so you can survive if you search and get creative. Made to order pasta, and eggs in the mourning are a fail safe.
I would definatley go back for a relaxing vacation, but both my wife and I found Varadero to have more activities available.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ReynoldsPeterborough
Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Just got back from this resort a couple days ago. Really great place - loaced between the enormous Pescaro and the Blau.
The Pool - amazing! Huge and clean and clear. I love those "infinity pools" where the water level is the same as the ground.
The Beach - beautiful soft sands. Yes, there are rocks in the ocean, but they are easy to walk around. There is still plenty of sand to walk on - the water is clear enough that you can see straight through to the bottom. Snorkeling was amazing as well - some days the water is clearer than others - like a huge swimming pool!
Jacuzzi - small and were not working. :-(
Food - Japanese restaurant was awesome. Italian not as bad as we'd heard. Just don't order the pasta (!) - the chicken and the salmon were amazing! Plus the "trio" dessert was super yummy! Had the lobster in the Cuba restaurant - it was dry and not really impressive. The buffet was quite nice - made to order was a nice touch, especially the pasta bar. Snack bar was available 24 hours, great for midnight snacks after lots of drinks. :)
Gym - Looked really nice. I didn't use it though. They had jugs of lemon flavoured water.
Entertainment - didn't see much honestly. The water ballet got rained on one night but the other night I did see it - was very impressive! The dancing that I did see was very entertaining.
Excursions - just did the Holguin city tour which was really interesting. Got to see a local village, a cigar factory, downtown city time (buy your souvenirs here!) and lunch up on a mountain with a beer drinking donkey. The sunset catamaran trip was awesome too. Beautiful snorkeling and open bar while enjoying the pretty sunset. This came with a lobster dinner which was by far the WORST lobster I have ever had. Absolutely no taste!! Better off getting anything else I think...
Grounds: So beautiful. Manicured lawns and luscious smelling flowers. Well taken care of. Lots of ramps and hand rails - and not too big. I noticed some elderly walking carts that had no trouble getting around.

Tips: be sure to bring anti mosquito spray and sun screen! A bottle of sunscreen was $30 in the hotel shop. Also - don't forget "after-bug-bite" medication. I got bitten quite a bit and didn't have anti-itch cream. I snorkeled a lot and got a huge allergic reaction to jellyfish - though I never saw them, I felt the sharp stings. Just be careful or wear a long sleeved shirt when swimming in the ocean.
Bring small gifts like soaps, pens, pencils, old clothes etc. I went to the dollar store and got lots of gifts for the staff.

Becareful!! If you order extras such as cigars or services from the beauty salon - make sure to keep all your receipts. We were charged much more than we should have when we checked out - but the main office was closed with an itemized receipt of charges!!! And this was at 7am - not too early in my opinion.

Speaking of which - the salon. I got a pedicure - but don't expect anything close to sanitary... really it's just a toe nail painting. I would not get anything "spa-like" as the sanitary conditions were somewhat lacking.

The Staff: Super friendly and helpful! Roberto and Jesus, who often worked the 16 hour night shift from 3pm til 7am the next morning... Rita, and sassy Sadie, and Jamil.... so many great people.

So over all - would recommend. Just watch your "extra-spending" when checking out!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!