“second time not as great but still good!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Sorry for the late review...visited the first week of April...our.second visit here. For Cuba the food is very good (The best in Cuba in my opinion) and the pizza is my favorite...better than anywhere!!. I am not going to go into detail since everyone reports the same thing. We have been to lots of places and several in Cuba and this is will my favourite in Cuba. If they updated the rooms a bit this would always be the place I recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank CA64
Write a ReviewReviews (4,546)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed at playa costa verde for two weeks 9th June and as it was our first visit to Cuba we were not sure what to expect, the hotel along with the excellent staff were amazing and nothing was to much trouble for them.
I would defiantly recommend a stroll to the beer corner where if you are very lucky you might meet some of the most amazing friends like we did, Booked for 2015 the day after returning home and a day hasn't gone by that I haven't thought of the place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
10  Thank DeanBeckett1969
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Playa Costa Verde from June 14th-June 28th and, overall, we very much enjoyed our stay. We arrived quite late at night, but the check in was relatively smooth and we got settled into our room fairly quickly. The rooms are very spacious, which is what I loved about it. It also helped that we had a corner room, which were much bigger than the middle rooms of the bungalows. Also, having a corner room meant a bigger balcony (that wraps around the corner of the building). The rooms were quite dated as it is an older resort; we also had tiny ants in the bathroom (bathtub and sometimes in the sink). They were never really bothersome; just avoid leaving sweet smelling soaps and creams near where the ants are. I'm sure if we complained about them, the staff surely would have done something about it. Our sink wasn't draining properly, and after telling one of the managers about it, it was fixed after we returned from breakfast, which shows the excellent service of the staff at this resort. I want to say a special thank you to Wilson, whom I believe is the manager of food and beverages for helping us sort this out, and making sure our stay was as enjoyable as possible!

Our maid was Tatiana and she always did an excellent job of cleaning our room; the room always felt fresh and clean once we returned from our day at the beach or the pool. All the cleaning staff really went out of their way to cater to our needs and we truly appreciate it.

Overall, the food was very good. It's a four star resort in Cuba, so you really do need to adjust your expectations. It's not the Ritz. However, in my opinion, the food was excellent for the money you pay. There isn't a lot of variety as the buffet is smaller than previous resorts I've stayed in. However, the quality of the food was certainly better than some of the other resorts I've been in Cuba. The service at the snack bar was also quite excellent and the food (chicken, calamari, pizza) was quite good as well. Anthony and Yolandis was always there to serve us and they were fantastic! As for the a la carte restaurants, my personal favourite was the Japanese and my boyfriend really enjoyed the Italian. A special thank you to Dunia who works in the lobby for sorting out our a la carte dinners and having so much patience with us as we constantly kept changing our minds! She was so kind and lovely to talk to, a beautiful woman!

The pool and the surrounding areas were very well maintained and clean. We went during a quiet season, so we always managed to find pool chairs in good spots around the pool. Though, as I've mentioned before, the resort is quite old, so you can see this in the crevices of the pool and at the pool bar. The barmen at the aqua bar were always there to serve you and we never had to wait very long for our drinks.

The beach, as always, was beautiful. The guys who worked at cleaning and helping you get your chairs were very kind and helpful. There were some rocky parts at the beach as you entered the water, so it might be helpful to bring water shoes! I did feel that there could have been more entertainment at the beach, though. Sometimes, it got a little boring, but we could hear all the activities going on at the neighbouring resort, Blau Costa Verde. The service at the beach bar was excellent, and they do serve snack there too if you get a bit hungry after a swim in the ocean.

The entertainment team were all very kind; we spoke to Yandi and Lianne a lot, who were both very kind and wonderful at their jobs. We will miss them. The shows at night were very good; my personal favourite was the opera night and the aquatic ballet. Though there were other really good shows too, such as the violinist, the rock band, and the hollywood night dancers (the Dirty Dancing number still being my favourite!).

The lobby bar was a great place to hang out at night before returning to your room. The lobby bar staff always kept the area clean and it was never very difficult to order drinks; they always served us quickly.

Overall, we had an excellent stay at this wonderful resort. After two weeks, it truly felt like home and we will miss all of the staff members that we have met. They are all very friendly and beautiful people. I can see why, despite this aging resort, it is still rated as one of the best in the area. We look forward to, one day, returning to Playa Costa Verde. Thank you for everything and for a fantastic vacation!

8  Thank MariaKatrina
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed at the Playa Coasta Verde for my 6th time. Had a GREAT Time and it was absolutely fabulous! The Staff are so caring and honest!! The one day I left my safe open by mistake and had a great deal of money, passport,credit cards etc left in it. When I came back to room later I paniced and realize what I had done. To my amazement nothing was taken and everything was still there. That just goes to show you how honest the staff was!! My maid was Mildred. What an angel!!
I met a fantastic group of British citizens. What a great time we had!! Hope to meet them all again!! I actually cried when I had to go on the bus back home.
The Playa has some sort of magical quality about it. No, it is not a 5 star but it is so clean and as I keep saying the Staff are the best!!! Yes it needs some minor upgrading but if you want a great atmosphere and a true Cuban cultrual experience then I would highly recommend this resort!
If you want a great taxi driver and experience riding in an old 8 seater 56 Chevy Belair then I suggest a trip with Vlad. He knows everyone in Holguin and is very nice and informative.
You must keep in mind that you are not at a RIU 5 star resort but I would highly recommend this place as it is so clean, beautiful and has such a magical Cuban quality about it!! I will definately be back again!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank 1stimer
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We arrived at pcv on 2nd June and were greeted with a welcome cocktail and shown into a small air conditioned room with a bucket of champagne on ice waiting for us. The a la carte restaurants were reserved for us for our first week and we were given a pink band that is usually only for repeat guests. A golf buggy transfered us to a lovely upper floor room over looking the beer corner. Another bottle of champagne on ice was in the room! The room was spotlessly clean and the maid had made a pair of swans out of the towels.

The staff in the hotel are like I have never experienced before, always go out of their way to make sure you are having the best possible time, all are so friendly and so happy! The gardner used to call up to me on the balcony and bring me a flower to the door!

On the second day we recieved an invertation to the vip dinner along with yet another bottle of champagne with the invite. This was a lovely lobster meal and we were made to feel so special as it was mentioned in the meal that we were on our honeymoon and everyone clapped!!

The pool area is lovely and Jesus keeps you supplied with cocktails all day at the pool bar. Everyone brings thermos mugs to keep the drinks cool and save keep going backwards and forwards to the bar as drinks are in small plastic cups, the entertainment team work relentlessly with yoga, aqua aerobics, pool and beach vollyball, children and adult games and dancing lessons.

The beach is breath taking, again with a bar to keep your drinks flowing. Hobbycat catermerans are available and an instructor that takes you out free of charge, such fun, and also pedalos, kyaks and windsurfers, again all inluded.

Sun beds were never a problem at the pool or on the beach.

The buffet restaurand has a wide variety of food available with drinks served to your table. The all inclusive is 24 hours, both in lobby bar and snack bar.

There is a bank to change money and a resonably priced small gift shop.

We went on a couple of trips, but the highlight has to be swimming with the dolphins, not to be missed !

The only negative was although the bed was massive, it was quite uncomfortable and being there for 3 weeks my back started to ache towards the end.

This was a perfect honeymoon and will definately be returning to this hotel in the future

Room Tip: Upper floor. Near to beer corner
7  Thank anita186340
Alexei R, Director of Sales at Hotel Playa Costa Verde, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear
Thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your honeymoon.The staff of PLaya Costa Verde wish you a life full of love.
We would like you to receive our deep appreciation for writing your comments on the trip advisor and It will be a pleasure for us to host you back in Playa Costa Verde.
Warm regards

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Pcv! It was my 7th visit in 4 years. This place really is my second home! I love it! Yes certain things have changed a little over the years but there is always something which keeps drawing you back! The staff can't do enough for you and treat you like royalty! A special thank you ( in no particular order!) to Vivienne, Pedro, ( I emailed ahead requesting specific room and got it!) lobby staff roberto, rafael, reydel, sadie, Rita, Dixie, Wilson, marlin, Marlenis, buffet staff Annie, Emna and the lady who has been there years cooking omelette! Ricardo the restaurant manager, ludmila, entertainment staff Mara, yeline, maylin, cesar and maypu, not to mention the mad crazy chiki!oreste I could be hear all night! Everything perfect! Brilliant staff and brilliant company from fellow tourists! If you get chance take a trip with vlad(drives old 8 seater American car) guided tour of holguin, amazing! If you need further information let me know!

• Stayed: June 2014
10  Thank Philtaylor
Alexei R, Director of Sales at Hotel Playa Costa Verde, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Philtaylor

Hotel Playa Costa Verde´s management appreciated very well your comments on the Tripadvisor and we want to thank you for choosing our Hotel and for your comments about our staff. We hope to host you again in our Hotel.

We really wish Playa Costa Verde be your home away from home,

Warm regards

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Firstly I would like to say how fabulous I thought the Italian restaurant was and I have absolutely no idea why the reviews of this restaurant are so harsh. I visited twice and found it far superior to both the Cuban and Japanese. The Japanese was entertaining (if you've never experienced this type of thing before) but the food was similar to what's available daily from the buffet so I can't say I was inspired.

The main buffet, snack bar and beach bar also offer a reasonable standard of food and I would certainly recommend paying the extra few pounds to sample the steak at the grill one evening. The food areas are covered although you do need to be aware there are a large number of birds and cats around the area, (personally this doesn't bother me in the slightest and I would always grab a little extra for the cats each day, much to others disgust!).

The hotel rooms are either ground or first floor and are of a good size. Our first room was a little tired (although perfectly clean) and we preferred a first floor. We didn't even have to ask the staff to change our room, we simply mentioned that a first floor room would be preferable and the staff arranged the change as soon as a further room became vacant.

The rooms are spread over quite a large area so it can be quite a walk to reach the lobby etc., buggies are available should you need transferring from one area of the resort to another. There's a small shop in the lobby area plus a bank but do be aware you will not be able to draw cash off any cards. (There are cash points in Holguin although you can't always guarantee they're working). I found the prices of the trips much more reasonable when booking with the tour rep.

The pool area is very clean and spacious with entertainment, pool bar and snack bar. During our stay there was a hog roast, Cuban band and coconuts (with or without rum) all within easy reach of the pool. My only criticism would be if you like to enjoy an early morning swim it isn't always possible due to the pool being cleaned so the beach might be a better choice.

The entertainment was great. During the day it's the typical aqua aerobics/volley ball type activities. During the evening I can honestly say it's the best entertainment I've experienced in a hotel. The water ballet and six piece all male band were definite favourites, I also enjoyed all the dances, especially the Dirty Dancing piece.

The staff are incredibly hard working and if you take the time to actually find out about the people and the hardships they face you will appreciate how hard it must be to put in what are often 16 hour shifts to pamper to our every whim. Tipping isn't expected but I found it hard not to reward the good service received.

I would certainly recommend taking some time out to enjoy some of the trips. I went on a dolphin trip and a combined safari, horse riding and speed boating day. Also as part of the trip we were invited in to a local Cuban home where the family had prepared a selection of foods, coffee and rum. It's hard to appreciate how little these people have much they want to share.

There are also free of charge pedalos, catamaran and kayak activities. In addition it's certainly worth getting up early to grab a mask and snorkel so you can enjoy the full experience of feeding the fish in the shallow waters on the white sand beach. Grab yourself some bread and bananas and the fish will literally eat out of your hand.

This is certainly not a five star hotel however it does offer a five star rated holiday and I wouldn't hesitate in making a return trip.

7  Thank Desanne_Michelle

Dear Desanne

First of all we want to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays. We appreciated very well your comments on the Tripadvisor which make us improve our service every day. One more time thank you for your very well detailed review (I know you really enjoyed our facilities and services) and for us will be a pleasure to host you back in Playa Costa Verde.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rafael Freyre
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Islazul Villa Don Lino
Islazul Villa Don Lino
#4 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
#2 of 64 in Varadero
Villa La Roca
Villa La Roca
#2 of 41 in Holguin

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!