“Almost Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
St. Catharines, Canada
“Almost Excellent”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with friends in October and I was blown away by how much holiday I got for my dollar. It was the slow season so we pretty much had the resort to ourselves and we didn't have to wake up early to reserve beach/pool chairs. The à la carte restaurants were great and I'd definitely recommend the traditional Cuban one for anyone looking for an authentic Cuban experience. The only cons of the trip were that the rooms are kind of out dated and the "bacon product" was questionable. Despite the cons I would stay again

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Daffodileleven
Pedro O, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Playa Costa Verde, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you very much for all your good comments of our resort. Playa Costa Verde Management and Staff will feel honoured to host you once again in the next future.
Quality and guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pyongyang, North Korea
Reviewed December 3, 2013

it was my 7th time in 3 year at the playa costa verde. its not a chic place but every thing was fine again. good food, good staff and good rhum!!!!!

go with a open mind, a good price and you wont be disapointed.

Thanks to all the staff for another great week.

Alex

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank alextherieur
On behalf of the staff and Management team of Playa Costa Verde Hotel, I want to thank you for your comments. We will be checking all your suggestions trying to find the proper solution in every case. We hope it will be useful for the all the travelers. It would be our pleasure to host you again in our resort.
Guest Service Manager
Lifford, Ireland
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Bhí mé féin agus mo bhean chéile ansin ar feadh coicíse i mí na Samhna... myself and my wife went here for a fortnight in November 2013. We had a lovely lovely time. Our room was very spacious (3222) and Laritza did an excellent job on refreshing the room every day, and was very cairdiúil agus cuidiúil, friendly and helpful. The pool was cleaned regularly. The garden workers were meticulous in keeping the place clean and tidy. The staff driving around about their business in the wee site trucks were always friendly with a greeting and always gave priority to a walking resident. Even though there were no bicycles to hire (a great disappointment to us) our Thomas Cook holiday rep and the locals came to the rescue and we managed to get two family bikes from a lovely wee woman called Odalis about a kilometre down the road. On our cycle to the various villages nearby we were greeted by Cuban people along the entire route with a degree of friendliness I have never received in any other nation I have visited, not even in my own!!! Initially I thought the stony entrance to the sea was a nuisance, but eventually you work out the clear paths in, and then the fish swimming around the rocky bottom really add to the whole experience and is ideal for the lazy snorkeller. The pools are good, and the staff organising activities are so friendly and welcoming. Nice to see the ceiling of the main foyer getting an uplift, although my heart was in my mouth at the workers on top of the light shakey scaffolding (them boys could work in a circus!). The a la carte nights were a treat, and we went to each of them twice: just loved the service in the Japanese, the Cuban, the Venician and the Steakhouse. The Japanese was a special experience both in terms of food and entertainment, and the steak I got in the steakhouse was one of the most perfect I've ever eaten. Was great to meet so many friends from other nations inclusing Canada, Britain, Bavaria etc and sorry for any noise pollution we inflicted with our Irish Céilí in the bar one night! The buffet food was of good quality, but I would advise Irishmen and Irish women and West Europeans against just diving into the meat in the first two days.... stick to the veg and pasta and identifiable foods, and maybe introduce one single small portion of meat that you might not be familiar with. You have to get acclimatised to it. I have been to Varadero in the past, and I also enjoyed that immensely. The main difference I noticed between Varadero and this resort is that Varadero is a part of a very active peninsula so there might be more options outside the resort and it's more 'urban', whereas this resort was more quiet and rural in its location. However, in Varadero it was hard to sit at a table without a band of musicians circling you and you felt obliged to constantly hand out funds you might not have budgeted for, whereas here there was a lot less of that, and indeed, I was pleased to call over the musicians in the Cuban a la carte and they played some lovely music for us... there was no pressure, more a personal choice of ours, and there's a lot more respect and discretion shown to guests in Playa Costa Verde. On our second last day we went to the market in Guardalavaca and bought some amazing wee pieces of handicraft... and we got hit with torrential rain on the way home but myself and about 8 others stayed up on the open top of the bus because it's not often in our own country that we have the pleasure of getting beat up and soaked with warm rain: it was a mad but great experience!! The wee snack bar was a great facility in a hungry hour of need. Recommended changes? Try and arrange some bicycle hire, folks, sin an dóigh is fearr leis an tír agus na daoine a fheiceáil. I'd recommend to new tourists to try and sit at the same place each day in the buffet.... that way you get to build up a relationship with staff.... we moved about too much at the start and it was difficult for a small number of staff to look after us.... this only happened in the last 5 days when we finally realised to try and hover around the same location. Efforts should be made too to try and improve internet speed... it's not that we want to go to Cuba to sit on a computer, but our two young daughters were back in Ireland and regular contact was important to us. But Loved our holiday. Loved the resort. Love the Cuban people.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sean_Mor2013
Mississauga
Reviewed December 2, 2013

this is our 5th time to this resort and not much has changed over the years. Still enjoy all the al la carte restaurants and they are pre booked if you are a return guest. The beach is lovely as always. Yes there are some rocks but you can still get in easily in many spots. Sand flies a bit of a problem as they love me. Staff as friendly and helpful as ever and they really try and please. Food in buffet was good even offering lobster on a couple of occasions. I have to agree that the rooms are getting pretty dated and last year and this year the mattress could use replacing (room 2826) as well as the drapes/spreads. I am sure this will be attended to over the next few years. You are hardly in the room anyways. Yes upon arrival the fridge is stocked with water and two pops and that is it unless you have an upgraded room. Would be nice to have this replenished daily. We will return as we love the cuban people, the resort and the general area. The cuban people should be allowed to use the beach why not? If they ask for some things so what - if you have them to give great if not no one is affended. For those of you who have not visited this resort give it a try I think you will be pleased. we hope to return next year.

Room Tip: we have stayed in various locations on the resort. None of the rooms are too far from the lobby or...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank shadow1516
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding Playa Costa Verde. We are working on some improvements to increase the our guests´satisfactions. We are sure you will all experience them very soon. We hope to host you again soon.
Quality and Guest Service Manager
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just arrived from playa costa verde. Nice complex (exterior) but rooms need some serious up grading ! Especially the mattresses !!!! Worst I've ever slept in ! This hotel is a 4 star plus hotel (not), it's a shame that when the Cuban government takes over a hotel (GAVIOTA) the don't up keep the hotels like the big chains do? The room fridge, had a bottle of water per day 2 soft drinks for the week ! And no beer or anything else ! The beach is not very nice, there are a lot of rocks along the shore. And another thing, this is a public beach so the Cubans are allowed on the beach so you get asked for clothes a lot. On my last day on the beach,I actually prevented an elderly couple from being robbed a Cuban tried to steal her purse but I saw him and shouted at him so he let go and ran away, but was later caught.
I gave this hotel a good rating on account of the food and the service ( very nice staff).
But will not go back unless some renovations are done, and there is more security on the beach !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dingen61
Pedro O, Quality and Guest Service Manager at Hotel Playa Costa Verde, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments regarding our resort. First of all we would like to apologize with you on behalf of Playa Costa Verde, and assure you we will bring this into our management staff attentions in order to find the way to improve the service our customers deserve. We want also to point out that the security is one of Cuban tourism main asset. As you said, the person who tried to steal at the beach was caught. We hope you give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our resort visiting us again. If so, please fill free to contact me directly.
Guest Service and Quality Manager
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Me & my best friend chose this hotel from the brilliant reviews we had read from trip advisor and I can tell you now we most certainly were not disappointed!
The staff were just wonderful & friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
The food was divine, were do you start.......
Italian restaurant, staff very attentive alway filling the wine up & making sure all was well. To be very honest the food in the Italian was not my favorite :(
Cuban restaurant again staff brilliant and food delicious! Definitely try the half lobster if you go here. My god it was out of this world!!!
Japanese restaurant was our favourite by far. An absolute must if your staying at this hotel.
My first instinct was raw fish...yuk! But it's so much more than that, So pleased we went. Again staff were so lovely & encouraged you to get involved in the tricks they do whilst cooking, so much fun and entertaining.
Moving on to the rooms, they are very basic but to be honest you do spend very little time in them so who cares!
Cocktail list is fantastic so much to choose from!
Pool gorgeous.
Beach beautiful however I would like to see more comfortable sunbeds in the future (very hard on the btm!)
All in all I'm sure my friend would defo agree an absolutely fantastic & memorable holiday.
Will almost defiantly be returning with my husband and family soon

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Ciara_7
Pedro O, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Playa Costa Verde, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments on Playa Costa Verde and its staff and service. We all at Playa Costaverde are really happy to hear you enjoyed the holiday very much. It will be our pleasure to have once again in Playa Costa Verde.
Quality and Guest Service Manager
Malta
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I just returned yesterday from 2 weeks at the all inclusive Playa Costa Verde in Guardalavaca Cuba. The hotel is true value for money. We travelled with Thomson's First Choice Holidays and we loved every minute of our stay. The staff are fantastic and ready to make everyone's holiday a dream. Good food and drinks with the main restaurant catering for hundreds of meals a day but there are also the A La Carte restaurants which we tried all of them - Cuban, Italian, Japanese and Steakhouse. Very clean and comfortable rooms. There's more then enough choices available that it is impossible not to find something that suits your taste buds. The hotel grounds are very well kept and the hotel's nature reserve that leads to the beach is awesome. I will surely be going back to this hotel in the near future.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Frederick A
Pedro O, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Playa Costa Verde, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Quality and guest Service Manager
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,333 reviews
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!