My boyfriend and I booked this hotel from 2nd Sept - 16th Sept 2013on the back of all the good reviews. Like everyone else we were very concerned with the horrific reviews dated from August. Fortunately our worries weren't realized upon arrival and we had a really enjoyable holiday on the whole. So to break it down:
Flights: We flew with Thomas Cook and both flights were on time and had a good in flight meal and a good film choice.
Transfers: the transfer to the hotel was well organised and the buses were lovely, had air con and very clean.
*Check in: very smooth and quick and had a lovely cocktail upon arrival.
* Room: our room was lovely and spacious. In reply to some of the reviews about them being outdated in our opinion this really wasn't a problem. They are indeed basic rooms but were very clean with a maid cleaning them everyday. Also the TV had some English/Canadian channels which was good for a stormy evening if you didn't fancy the entertainment/jet-lagged. * The bathroom was also good - basic but again cleaned daily.
*There is also a good working fridge in the room and the maid provides a bottle of water daily. Though on some days we didn't get a bottle of water, however this was resolved upon telling reception.
*Food: The food was the main let down of the hotel in our opinion.
-There was normally plenty of choice but we grew bored of what was to offer after the first few days.
- The main problem for us was the lack of fresh vegetables and salad. The availability of salad was hit and miss when were there a rarity which was disappointing for me but this is more of a personal preference. However, the variety and availability of fresh fruit was very good.
-The fresh food stations were good. You have the choice of fresh meat, fish, pasta and pizza which caters to your taste if you don't fancy whats on at the buffet.
The al a carte restaurants:
*Japanese: We enjoyed this as an experience and went three times. Good food cooked in front of you and a nice change from the buffet with options including chicken, beef, prawns and fish served with fried rice.
*Cuban: We really liked the ambiance of this restaurant. They had a great cuban band that played throughout dinner. The food was OK. We had lobster for main which was nice. The only thing that we really didn't like was that you sit down and your starter is brought straight away then you order your main and that arrives immediately. If you wanted to your dinner could be done and dusted in 15 mins due tot he speed.
*El Bohio (steak restaurant): MAKE SURE YOU GO TO THIS. It was absolutely delicious and worth the ten peso supplement.
*Other: If you wanted to you could literally eat 24/7. We ate a few times at the Snack Bar which is always open and offers a lot of variety of fast food types of food which was nice on the whole.
Beach: Amazing, beautiful, cracking snorkeling. Beautiful clear waters and lots of fish to see. Good beach bar and never a problem getting sunbeds. if you wanted to have lunch there is also a beach snack bar with a few bits and pieces.
Pool: nice - we didn't spend much time here but the swim up bar is a really nice touch. One day there was algae in the pool but that was sorted out pretty quickly.
On the whole the hotel is well maintained, clean, good friendly staff on the whole whether you tip or not and also it had a really good variety of evening entertainment which we thoroughly enjoyed.
- Make sure you bring a big thermal travel cup. These were life savers to save from going to numerous trips to the bar
- I wish id have taken some marmite for breakfast
- Beach shoes were a must for us as there are quite a few urchins and rocks
- You don't have to bring your own snorkels as the beach shack has some and they also have flippers to!
- get a first floor room with a sea view. We had a view of the sea and also no problem with crabs or bugs creeping in
- Book the restaurants as much as you want - they don't seem to mind!
- Bring enough toiletries as hotel shop doesn't sell them
-Buy cigars and souvenirs from the airport as they are MUCH cheaper than hotel shop
This is my first review so sorry for the length! Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Accommodation, buffet meals, 3 a la carte restaurants and El bohío resturant with charge, 7 bars, 24-hour snacks and lobby, unlimited drinks, Mini Club, pools, Jacuzzis, day/night entertainment, water/land sports with equipment and instruction, gym, air-conditioned rooms with bathroom, hair drier, telephone, safe, satellite TV, iron and ironing board, tea/coffee maker, mini fridge with welcome drinks, terrace or balcony. All Inclusive! Plus ($): internet, tours, hairdresser, massage, car rental and shop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Gaviota Hotels and HotelsClick so you can book your Hotel Playa Costa Verde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Costa Verde Cuba
- Playa Costa Verde Rafael Freyre
- Playa Costa Verde Holguin
- Costa Playa Verde
- Hotel Playa Costa Verde Holguin Province, Cuba