“playa costa verde”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
ottawa
“playa costa verde”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

loved my summer visit to holguin, all ammenities at resort are very good, staff very friendly, food was good enough, beach was very relaxing.
not too forget plenty of cold beer and sunshine.
only downside premium spirits could have been availble at beach bar and pool bars.
traveled aug 4 -11/13.

Room Tip: ask for second floor, corner room if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank phils67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ipswich
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Let me say that we had a great relaxing holiday and that the location is brilliant and the staff superb. It's just that with a little bit of work the Hotel could regain all the previous glories I have read about.

Negs

Our Mattress had the consistency of broken bricks whilst our Teens in another room had good comfort levels,
Food got a bit bland in second week as there seemed to be shortages in everything. The Snack bar on one day had the choice of 1.5 items compared with 5 earlier in the week.
As non smokers we did seem to find it difficult to sit anywhere without the all pervading smoke smell.
Rooms could do with touching up e.g. Our air con vent was surrounded by black mould.

Pos

The STAFF. I can see why so many people make long terms friends here. Joelia and Lucy on the evening Fish and Pasta grills were especially good and Milene on the pool bar spent a happy day perfecting the Andy cocktail with me resulting in me suffering a hangover the following day.

The Beach. We are not beach people but we had a great time on the beach swimming, chasing fish and strengthening our legs on the pedalo.

The Hotel surroundings. It is a beautiful place and very relaxing.

So the acid test ..... would we return. Yes in a couple of years as just a couple without the kids. I repeat we had a great time and I have never had a more relaxing summer holiday.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are quieter.
6 Thank andygizmo
Mississauga
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have recently enjoyed my 15th stay at PCV. While I was there, there were many vacationares complaining about the service, number of local Cubans at the resort and on one day the lack of some items such as plastic cups and beer from certain parts of the resort.

Here comes the clarification but first I want to state that I don't have shares at PCV, I am not Cuban and i don't have any realatives working there.

In regards to the Service. July and August are normally the low season where the resort usually has between 4 - 5 hundred people. The hotel usually staffs for this but the last 2 week-ends of August there were over 4 hundred local Cubans who had the money to stay at the resort for 2 days. The 1st weekend I was there including the local Cubans the hotel was at maximum capacity (over 9 hundred) guests. While there were complaints from those who traveled over 10 hours to get there I was impressed by the service considering the crowd. Both Management and Staff tried their best, working 16 - 18 hours a day to accomodate everyone.

In regards to the number of local Cubans. Lets face it, In our home countries we would not turn back our local people from hotels whether it be from Canada or England if they can pay for the room so why should it be any different in Cuba. The issues I think people complain about is that the Local Cubans are not that exposed to the way travellers like myself (Canadian) or the English behave. It's a cultural thing and I think it would be a great idea if we (the travellers) respect the local people and better understand their vacationing habits if this type of arrangement is not to travellers liking. I personally adjusted to some inconveniences but didn't let it spoil my vacation and I had a wonderful time.

In regards to the lack of some items. As stated earlier the hotel was bombarded with guests and was at maximum capacity (900+). Yes some places did lack some items for a short period of time but the staff worked as hard as they could to recover and they did great.

In closing I would like to say the following. I have been at PCV 15 times and enjoyed every stay. The staff and management treat me like family and I know how hard they work for what they get. When I am there I am on holiday and will always make the best of it because it's easy to complain but what does that get you in the end? So here is some advice for those who travel and would like to go to PCV. The high season at PCV in my opinion is from September to June. At this time the resort is pre-booked and the Hotel is staffed and equiped for a full resort. The low season is July and August and even though the prices reflect that, you need to be prepared that weekends might be fully booked with local Cubans. So your choice is to plan your vacation well and know your options in what time to go to PCV. I love PCV and it's management and staff and nothing can be said to discourage me from going again. In fact I already booked for 10 days in February 2013.

Room Tip: When you pick a room try and get the 2nd floor. If you get pool view you can see the water ballet...
3 Thank ITILGuy2
WINDSOR
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been at that resort 10 times after 5 visit you get to stay free for a week so after my next visit i will qualify for and other free week
Love the food and the special attention from the personnals

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Baboo0099
Hull uk
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Lovely hotel, nice rooms great to walk from beach to pool then to bar then back to room ignore negative reviews, as for the locals going into the hotel hmmm they are locals and Cubans if you don't like it then don't go to Cuba. Problem with pool sorted as quick as they could. Plenty of choice of food go to Japanese that's the best, all staff helpful and friendly

5 Thank bendan S
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Bad reviews ignore them! Yea ok the place isn't perfect but my holiday wasent far off! Food decent, staff friendly, sometimes a queue at the bar but no different to other all inc hotels.
The most amazing beach I've ever seen in my life and a bar on the beach to!
A bar also in the pool u can swim to for a drink, bo selecta!
But if u do go take a thermal flask to keep your drinks cold, we didn't and we were wounded, takes about 10 mins in the sun for a drink to reach boiling point!
All in all an amazing place, bad reviews? Bollocks to them, go enjoy, defo be going back!
Peace!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Mrlyrical
Montreal
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I travelled with my wife and 10 month daughter for 1 week.

- Transportation was good and we arrived at the hotel in about 2 hrs after we landed. NOW, at the customs they take a pic of you (in and out of the country). We used SUNWING and I was very impressed ! Leather seats, room between rows, champagne glass, wine glass, decent food and friendly staff !

- Check-in was bit slow but they offered us some drinks. Bellboys with carts were there to transport you to the room. Very nice since we had a stroller with us

- Room was OK for standard. First one (3325 closer to the beach) had no A/C working and it was an upper floor. So we went and requested another one and we got one close to the main pool and lobby which was nice, since we had out little one. This time it was on the ground floor which had a good-sized patio. The room, though, needed some maintenance and was bit musty! The maid restocked our mini fridge with 2 bottles of water because of our little one :) Also, we got a 500 ml bottle of white Santero Rum ( heap one) courtesy of Sunwing.

- We stayed at 5514 which is very close to the pool and the BEER CORNER :) A place that opened from 6:00 pm to 12:00 am and served canned beers and soft drinks: my favorite place for cold BUCANEROS !

- Buildings were had 2 main and 2nd floor with balconies and patios. The corner balconies were large !

- Pool was large with a good-sized pool bar and the service was good. Never felt the need to tip. In some days it was literally overrun by Cubans (YES LOCALS are permitted here). It was rowdy and service was abit slow but at times they had 2 bartenders. Also, you could plastic cups in the pool water. Not so good...

-Behind the pool there was the ICE CREAM corner that served cones with ice cream (strawberry and chocolate flavor).

- Food was ok for me and my wife. The main Buffet has grill stations for fish, meats and 1 for fried rice with fish/meat. One station for pizzas and pasta. I liked the pizza (very good for Cuban standards). Buffet had good variety of rice, meats, potatoes, salads. Service was good and friendly: NO NEED to tip :). The buffet was open for lunch and all 3 grill stations were open! I have enjoyed my fish there :)

- Also, I have went to a snack restaurant close to the main pool that served salads, burgers, fries, pasta, pizza. OK, BUT GO TO the main buffet. much better !

- Never ate at the beach restaurant, so I cannot comment

- They have 4 a la cartes. I have tried the Cuban and the Japanese. The Cuban was ok with a not-so-good lobster. The Japanese (Kyoto) was VERY GOOD! Good show from the chefs and I ended with a cup of warm Saki (not advertised but if you insist you get one). The other 2 were the Italian (pasta who cares) and the Steak restaurant were you had to pay 10 CUCs for a steak. From my experience, the beef there was "hard" and not very enjoyable, so I skipped it!

- Beach was wide,long and sandy with plenty of palapas. Beware that locals have access to the beach and the water at the beginning has rocks (not very pleasant). But the water was refreshing ! Cooler at the beach than the pool! First time I have experience such cool sea water in Cuba, LOVED IT !

- Shows were typical with many resorts I have been but I liked the band that played Cuban/Latino music! Shows started at around 9:30 pm till 10:30 pm and then they had the DISCO till 2:00 am (never went there, was tired due to my little one).

- Didn't do any excursions because of my little one and have been to Guardalavaca before. They have a train to Guardalavaca's flea market which has a Cuban restaurant there: costs 5 CUCs.

- Staff was friendly and they would serve you even if you didn't tip them. I guess because of the Cubans staying there. I tip occasionally but you don't feel obliged to do so.

- As for currency, coins are not accepted! Even for tipping they would prefer CUCs or paper Canadian bills.

- This resort had many repeat customers because of your trip onwards you have a VIP status which means they upgrade your room to a suite and you get reservations to all a la cartes restaurants. Also, every 6th trip you stay for FREE! I met one Canadian that stayed there 14 times!

- The resort had lots of Cubans Canadians, Brits and some Italians, Dutch and French (from France).

- BUY all you cigs, cigars and drinks from the Airport...CHEAPER ! Forget the gift shop at the Hotel !

Overall, I was impressed with the place for the money I paid. Clean, friendly, good food and VIP service for my next trip there :)

Room Tip: Room 5514 is very close to the Pool, Beer corner, Ice cream corner, Lobby and Main Buffet.
5 Thank alaniaris
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!