“Amazing!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Kelowna, Canada
“Amazing!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I went to Playa Costa Verde for our 20th anniversary. We saved for this long awaited getaway and were not disappointed! Love the place, food (Japanese restaurant was the best!) people. The room was huge, clean and airy. We had a view of the ocean from our deck and were fortunate enough to have a corner unit on the top floor. At first the grounds seem huge and confusing, but it didn't take long to get our bearings and found our place very central to everything we needed. Loved the pool and the beach equally. And as all reviews say, Jesus at the swim up pool is amazing! He knows how to make a great margarita. We really had an amazing time and look forward to getting back for another time of rest and relaxation!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed, if you are a couple. Corner units facing the ocean are amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank angkel2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

we stayed at this hotel last October, we really had a fab holiday, food was good, staff where wonderful, weather was lovely, the Cuban people are wonderful, one of our favourite holidays so far, Suzanne and Wall.

Room Tip: we stayed in a corner suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 75suzanne_r
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I got back from playa costa verde this morning, and i want to go back already. My following review is completley honest . Lets get the negatives out of the way ( HOWEVER THE NEGATIVES DIDN'T STOP ME FROM ENJOYING MY HOLIDAY AND I STILL LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT).

The buffet food wasn't the best, however i wasn't expecting anything spectacular having done my research, however the positive to this negative is that you had the choice of the cooking stations my favourites were the pasta and pizza and the fresh meat- all cooked deliciously. Then you also got the chance to go to the Al a Carte restaurants too. My favorite being the italian. The Cuban was okay, however the soup was amazing..i could of eaten that as my main course too. I am not a fan of Japanese cuisine however gave it a try and i shocked myself it was very nice. I would also recomend going to the Steak house, beautiful steak cooked exactly how you want it and worth the 10 pesos. All waiting staff were fantastic and bent over backwards to your every need.There are a lot of flies but a wave of your hand soon sends them on their way so that didn't bother me.

Secondly it was very obvious about the prostitutes who were in the resort. I can accept that it's each to there own and it didn't bother me too much apart from sometimes the provocative dancing they would display by the poolside in a family resort.It doesn't send off the right message.

...Now on to the best bits.
The room was fantastic anyone who says they are dated ..really? Clean fresh and airy , personally I don't think a modern minimalistic room would quite fit into the Cuban and Carribean personality, therefore the rooms were more than what i expected them to be. We stayed in room 2425 lucky to have a corner balcony. It wasn't facing the pool but honestly id rather have the palm tree's and the other blocks in my view, i can look at a pool any time. Didn't have any problems , one day the maid didn't leave us water but that was soon fixed once we notified reception ( there only human).

The pool was a great size and plenty of sunbeds around. The entertainment team did a great job of keeping the laughter around the pool with a great Cuban spirit. The pool bar was a bonus, you really do feel like your in luxury when you swim up to it. Again fast service and Jesus was a great character.

The beach- highlight of my holiday by far the most pure and beautiful beach i have ever been too.The water so clear and calm and very cool- which is always a bonus when you've been lying in the hot weather. Take bananas down to the beach go in the water and feed the fish- its a great experience and deffinatley something you can't do back in England.

Overall i had the best two weeks. The weather was amazingly hot and humidity was always between 80% to 100%- so maybe pack handheld fans with you because it's in the evening when it gets to you most. I didn't buy beach shoes for the water , the paths were clear and no hassle at all. Plenty of mossies i didn't get bitten look out for crabs lizards and toads for a brilliant picture opportunity. Swim with dolphins and the 4x4 challenge are two excursions i'd highly recomend. But have a great time. Don't listen to bad reviews because it is a lovely resort and you will have the holiday of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Get second floor rooms- not one creepy crawley in sight.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
16 Thank kerrie k
rugby
Reviewed June 23, 2013

stayed at pcv for 3 weeks and must admit did not want to come home, this was our 3rd trip to cuba and this was definately the best hotel we have stayed in, majority of staff were amazing and you felt like family with the exception of 1 or 2 namely the girl on the weekly hog roast and sometimes on the grill in buffet restaurant(don't know her name) she was a miserable exception to the rest of the staff and also girls on reception although pleasant were not that helpful, We had a problem with air con in room no 2818 that never got resolved although i'm sure if I had pushed it we could have had a room change but putting this aside it did not ruin our stay. Check in was amazing with sparkling wine and very quick. room was very good (apart from air con), grounds, pool, restaurants, beach, entertainment and bars are all superb no complaints.A big thank you to Sonia buffet waitress, Jesus swim up bar, Patricia beach bar, Roydel lobby bartender and many more who's names we did not get to know for making our holiday even better. The vast majority of staff are a credit to this hotel and management should be proud of them, We will definitely return here one day as the vast majority of holiday makers seem to do and I can see why.

Room Tip: we had ground floor room no problems with beasts may be we were lucky
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank colin_tRugby
fife
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I am just back from Cuba for the first time I went with friends one of whom had been before I found the costa verde hotel clean and tidy the rooms could do with some paint and the balcony door was difficult to lock but that didn't spoil a fantastic holiday.the staff were so friendly and helpful and made your holiday the food was good and I am a fussy eater but as its all inclusive I tried sqiud and octopus and they were nice plenty of choice it does get a bit sandy but that's the same everywhere the pool was great and so was the gym the beach was lovely as well all the water sports are included except the scuba diving but its not expensive we did some organised trips which were great I would recommend the inside Cuba trip all in all I had a great time with great people in a great location and I am going back next year

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank fifelaurieg
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend were at PCV for two weeks (29th May-12th June), and absolutely loved it. Yes the buildings and bedrooms could do with a lick of paint and modernising, but they had everything you needed; how modern or what colour the room is painted isn't going to make or break your holiday!!
The room was spotless everyday after the maid had been in, the rest of the hotel and grounds were also very clean. Yes there were birds in the buffet restaurant, but it's open air (which is part of the enjoyment) so what can the staff do? At night there were bugs and beetles, but you get that in tropical places, again nothing the staff or hotel can do.
The food was fine, nothing wrong with it, nothing great about it, it was what it was. A bit repetitive, but it would be the same over here if you stayed in the same hotel for 2 weeks. The three a la carte restaurants were nice, the Japanese was head and shoulders the best place to eat though. You also have to remember Cuba imports a lot of items for food and drinks, this is a country where the population live on ration books, so if they run out of a particular brand or something and don't have any more there's nothing anyone can do about it, it's just one of those things and will be sorted asap.
All the staff were fantastic. We only tipped one or two of them over the course of the holiday, but all of them couldn't do enough to help. If you made the effort to be nice, polite and smiley with them, there was no need to tip to get good service, they returned the complement anyway.
The beach does have a rock-bed just in the water, but it wasn't sharp and i managed to walk over it no problem in bare feet daily. Again what can the staff do about that though?
In terms of value for money it is fantastic, 2 weeks in the Caribbean for what we payed was unbelievable! We are already looking at booking it again for next year!

Room Tip: Our room was right near the Buffet Restaurant, couldn't have been better placed!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joey13F
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our first trip to Cuba. Resort was tired, pool was lovely, beach was too far away and very rocky in water, there are no toilets on beach. Waitress service around pool non existent and in lobby bar very rare the waiters offer you a drink, you have to go up to bar time after time. The entertainment in aft and eve is .......... No words can describe it!!! But it aint good!! There are a LOT of older men with very young pretty Cubans, they pay for them to stay the length of their holiday, in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to stay in family complexes, I mean one man had 2 younger escorts and they were "dancing" for him around the pool!!! I had to visit the doctor for an injection for my mosquito bite allergy and was charged 64 pesos for tablets cream and injection, yet a lady we met had exactly same treatment for 28 pesos so be careful. Overall I enjoyed my holiday but would not return, Mexico is far superior in every way.

• Stayed June 2013
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!