“Great Place”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Montreal, Canada
“Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were there from 8th of December and stayed for a week. First time in a resort and I was pleasantly surprised. Good selection of food and drinks.Great place to relax. The staff is very determined to please you.

Room Tip: Room in the second floor are more private due to the balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Sammy199

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was there from December 8th till December 22nd, never been in Holguin, always visited other parts of Cuba, but on my arrival I was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel is big, comparing to my previous trips, after 3 days of being there, I was still looking for my room, especially at night, but that was a great experience,LOL, so...., great accommodation with lots of privacy, very nice room service, overall great attitude from all the staff working at the hotel.
Very helpful staff, I had a dental emergency, and thanks to the DOCTOR at the resort, everything was taking care of within a minute of my request. BTW, the dentist in Guardalavaca is AMAZING !
On a less positive note, again judging from my previous trips to Cuba, the beach is too small, this is not Varadero, not much to walk around to lose those extra calories, and lots and lots of bugs.
I met great people from Cuba, UK ,USA and Canada. Resort is secluded, away from the city, but it has everything in it, so there is no way you can be bored, disco, entertainment and 24hr bar with delicious food make up for it. I also visited Playa Pesquero hotel, my yellow band allowed me to sneak in to this so much bigger hotel a few times, sorry SECURITY GUARDS, could not resist, overall great experience of seeing something new. Will I come back to this hotel ?, probably not, Varadero beach is so much nicer, and that's what I travel for, but I am not surprised this hotel have so many repeated travelers. At least once you should go there !

Room Tip: Sunwing customers get the rooms closest to the beach, loved my 1st floor room with the terrace
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank mgrodzicka
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at PVC Dec 27- Jan 3, it was not what I expected. The rooms were dark, dirty,infested with tiny red ants and other bugs. I sprayed mosquito repellant along the floor walls every day to kill them as they kept coming back. The water in the shower smelled like mould and was warm at best. When I complained about the room I was told that the bugs were not dangerous and the resort was full. The rooms are very outdated and in need of great repair. We were not sure what bodily fluids were on the beds covers and I was grossed out every night when it was time to go to sleep. Friends of ours were staying in another building and their room was fine. It was as if they were staying at another resort. Needless to say our luggage went straight to the garage and did not come in the house when we arrived home.
The ocean was beautiful, the water was calm and there were plenty of tropical fish. If you have already booked and can not switch resorts, I recommend bringing goggles and grabbing a few bananas from the buffet to feed the fish. we spent most of our time at the pool as the sand fleas kept us away from the beach. the lounge chairs were dirty but there were plenty of them. Previously we stayed at Memories Varadero and they power washed all pool loungers and pool area each morning. I would highly recommend staying at Memories Varadero over PVC. On a positive note there were plenty of children for our kids to play with.
The nightly entertainment was not as advertised. For the 7 nights we were there only 4 of them had a show. 2 nights were a fashion show around the pool and 2 dance shows. If you include the piano player in the lobby who played each night i guess there was nightly entertainment.

We thought we did our homework and read the reviews prior to booking. This resort should not be advertised as a 4 star in Cuba. It is a 3 star at best!

Room Tip: Our friends stayed in building 12 and it was clean. We were in building 14 and it was full of bugs...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Jazz j
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was an enjoyable vacation for us. Me, 43, girlfriend, 36, and her daughter 13. The resort was the right size, not too big and not too small. The only thing I'd criticize is the rooms were a little dated and old-looking, but that's a very slight criticism. We went last February, so I do have to try and remember as well. Sometimes its best to wait a while and look back at the vacation as a whole.

We arrived at probably 4 in the morning or so some stupid hour, which is always a bit wierd, suddenly being out of the cold, walking around in shorts, smelling tropical air and hearing the ocean, but not being able to see it. We did have a snack and a drink. I got a bad beer my 1st beer, but that was my only bad drink, which was pretty funny.

We did have an issue with the door to our room, where the key wouldn't open it. This story is boring, so skip this paragraph if you don't want to be bored. They came once or twice pretty quickly and a guy tried to fix it. It looked like he had fixed it, but next day we were locked out again. We had to go to the front desk and then they switched the room to another, which was a bit of a pain. But: it was done quickly, we didn't waste a lot of time, and the move brought us closer to the pool/lobby areas, which was nice.

Here's what we liked:
Snorkelling off the beach - the beach was quite nice, maybe not as nice as Guardalavaca or Varedero, but you could snorkel right off of it every day. It wasn't a crazy live reef, but there was still fish, and I saw small stingrays pretty much every day. It didn't take long to swim over to the Blau resort and you could see quite a bit more over there.

food: The food here is nice. The japanese restaurant mirrors a similar restaurant here at home, which is quite expensive. It was a good night, even though we got paired up with some crazy old ladies at our table. We even went to a VEGETARIAN a la carte which was set up by the pool at night with maybe 1/2 dozen tables. This wasn't the greatest meal, but ok. There was a fairly good snack bar not too far from the pool, and there was another lunch-time type of restaurant where you could order food from a menu, and it was quite nice. The buffet I can't quite remember, but I think it was pretty good, and there was lots to choose from. The dessert of bananas flambe was memorable, because it was made to order to your specifications, ie. coconut or not, alcohol or not, etc. Ice cream is always nice in Cuba too. I don't recall waiting too long in lines for the fresh cooking, but we did have to wait a bit I guess.

Entertainment: Entertaing was ok. The one shining moment was the Wednesday night beach party, which had good speakers, and a video show which was the most impressive thing I've ever seen at a resort in Cuba. The funniest night is they did a show of songs from the musical/film "Grease" and it was up on the poster as "Grease Liner" instead of "Grease Lightning" which we thought was pretty hysterical.

Pools were good, afternoon programming typical, drinks typical. Highlight is the Beer Corner, an odd spot near the resort where they serve some nicer beers in bottles. I think they had heineken. It's a nice spot when you're not in the mood for draught anymore.

Staff: we made friends with Scooby early on at the beach party, and he talked to us every day, and befriended gf's daughter, who played with him and the other guests beach volleyball every day. They had the volleyball going in the morning on the beach, and then in the afternoon behind the lobby, and it was good times for the players.

Towels: we had a good experience of switching towels every day, and the guy who ran that operation was funny. He called my gf "Tina Turner: the white one..." every day.

Anyways, for the right price (I strongly recommend to anyone booking a resort anywhere - wait for a good price - we paid...i can't remember, about 795 + taxes or maybe a bit more from winnipeg or maybe it was less). Paying full price for Cuba is ridiculous. If you're from Toronto you could probably bag this resort for $700 all in. Anyways ,wait for a sale and go.

Excursions: I have been to this area many times, so we did spend a day doing Island Paradise, which was my 3rd time, and it was beautiful again, but we were in a pretty small catamaran.
We took a shuttle to Guardalavaca and got to shop, and took the little train trip which is probably the best value in this area for a day trip.

Recommended for: young couples, old couples, families, anyone really. Partiers? Maybe, you may want to do Club Amigo as there's more beach party action going on at the public beach, but this resort is nicer and smaller than Club Amigo (I've stayed there 3 times). ttfn.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank drtongue96
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We flew with Thomas Cook to Holguin on 10th Dec. We paid for extra leg room seats at £25 each. These were ok but were near the toilets so we got bumped alot. Flight was fine and met at the airport. Was just over an hours drive from airport to hotel. Lovely welcome to the hotel with drinks and snacks laid out for us.
Was taken to our room in a little buggy.

ROOM

Our room was 2228, perfect for us as it was close enough to walk to everything but far away enough to be away from it all and it was on the 2nd floor. We thought the rooms were fine. Nice large king size bed, it was clean and the bathroom lovely with a nice big mirror and sink. To be honest I don't fly 9 hours to sit in a hotel room all day. As long as its clean and comfortable I am happy and it was.

FOOD/RESTAURANT

The buffet restaurant was very good. I cannot understand why other people have said the food was bad. There were cooking stations that did eggs and bacon for breakfast and all sorts of fish, seafood and meats for lunch and dinner. I am a meat eater and my boyfriend is a vegetarian and we were both more then happy with the food. There's even a pizza oven and chips for the non-experimental palettes. People complaining about birds flying about, it's an outdoor restaurant, what do you expect? We only went to the Japanese restaurant and we thought it was excellent. The food was lovely and the service/entertainment was fun.

POOL

The pool was huge and we always managed to find a decent place to sit. Must say the sun loungers were highly uncomfortable. They could do with up grading to ones will some padding. The pool was always clean though and the swim up bar was great!

BEACH

The beach was a short walk away across a lovely mangrove. Again, can't understand some people complaining it was too far away. Some people are seriously lazy! The beach was beautiful with clear blue water and lovely white sand. Such an added bonus that all water sports are included which you normally have to pay for. The beach bar was ok. They served food but to be honest I wouldn't eat there as it didn't look too hygienic but the drinks were fine.

SERVICE

The majority of the staff were so friendly and helpful especially the ones working in the buffet restaurant. Always got a huge smile from the people there and conversation. I would say the ladies at the Lobby Bar were the worst. They tended to be less enthusiastic and would serve anyone that comes along rather then seeing to the person that was next. This could be very frustrating at times as some people cannot understand the concept of queuing and we were standing there for 10 minutes at one point.

TRIPS

We did the trip to Havana. It is definitely worth while if you want to get out of the hotel for a while and see Cuba. You leave very early in the morning and come back late the following day. It cost around £550 for 2 adults and this included all transfers meals and a fantastic evening at Club Tropicana which was amazing! We also did the speed boat trip which I found scary but my boyfriend loved zipping around in the boat pretending to be James Bond!

Overall we had a fantastic holiday. The only things that were annoying was generally other peoples behaviour like splashing people in the pool or not controlling their kids or pushing in line but this is not fault of the hotels. The entertainment was excellent with lots of modern dancers and shows. Also loved the Beer Corner which was nice to sit at and watch the sun go down. Definitely watch out for the sand mites or what ever they were. We had max strength repellent and we still got bitten loads.
If you want to stay somewhere with beautiful weather, good food and drink and friendly people I would recommend this hotel for you. Would I go again? Yes, if I was visiting Cuba again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms tend to be better especially when it rains
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank claire w
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having read some of the reviews since we were last there in July 2012, I feel it important to tell my story! On arrival greeted by staff, champagne reception and check in were excellent. Lobby area is spectacular, with pianist playing the grand piano beautifully, each night. Coffee and cakes available all day long in lobby bar - great! Had two interconnecting rooms for family of five, which were spacious and clean with comfortable beds. The gardens are immaculate and in general a very clean resort including swimming pool area. Swimming pool is good and safe for kids. Lots of nice small touches around the hotel i.e. ice cream stand,outdoor jacuzzis, Cuban music at pool, pig roast once weekly and fresh coconuts. Beach is spectacular, soft white sand with turquoise blue water. Beach bar is really cool! Buffet restaurant is the same as any other hotel. All four other a la carte restaurants are good - especially the Japanese and the Bohio. They are a treat! The food overall in this hotel is of a good standard. All of the staff members are extremely polite and courteous at all times. Too many staff members to mention but especially the "animacion" team members, Scooby, David, Yeline, Mila etc. Also, Gladys and Damarie the barbeque lady, Jacqueline the chef in the Japanese restaurant, the girls in the lobby bar, and the gardening staff - well done to everyone! Entertainment during both the day time and night is first class. Different shows at night include, singing, magic shows etc. It was a delight in the afternoon to go to the BEER GARDEN to relax prior to dinner. Having been to many different islands in the Caribbean, I find that Cuba has a different aspect to the Caribbean and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We would recommend PCV and enjoyed the experience so much that we are returning - 2013. Please, please, to anyone reading this review, please disregard the negative reviews. We witnessed complainers during our vacation, and many of their complaints at the time were unjustified. People should think very carefully about complaining and the impact and harm that this causes to the Cuban people who are so lovely and accommodating. To the management of this hotel, please mention our comments during your staff meetings, that there are many people like us who really appreciate and are thankful for a great stay at your hotel! Everything that your staff members do, day and daily for the guests, is amazing. Playa Costa Verde is extremely good value for money.
Este hotel es buenisimo

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Olnima
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

An overall resort refurbishment would be in order, definitely NOT 4*

We went as a family of four with our two young adult daughters. This is our 5th trip to Cuba, second time in Holguin, and first time at this resort. The rooms are clean good size not fancy a bit tired, the bed are older very hard and not comfortable, AC was working fine and not noisy, shower good water pressure but lacking hot water. Balcony is comfortable with table and chairs.

Since we are beach folks, we spend our time under a sunbed at the beautiful beach, so cannot comment on the pool. The water is gorgeous and clear, white sand, there are some coral reefs you can easily walk around them. OMG Sand Fleas, we had so many bites, our legs was covered in bug bites … You stroll to the beach through a rise sidewalk where you can see birds and fish, it is awesome, but I guess does breed mosquito’s, a most bring bug spray and afterbite’s.

The food overall, we found good. At the buffet there was generally a good variety was a little repetitive of choice but you cannot go hungry, at night the flaming bananas are simply delicious. The 24hr snack bar was excellent we recommend the burgers and calamari. We tried each of the a la carte restaurants - the Italian and Cuban was our favorites. Drinks were okay enjoyed the beer, red wine was drinkable. Lobby bar was good and they made a terrific cappuccino and Spanish coffee.

The evening entertainments were a bit hit & miss but the water ballet in the pool was really well done, choreography music costumes for Cuba it’s impressive.

The grounds were well maintained and there was some lovely vegetation the staff was generally friendly and helpful speaking in English or French or German or Spanish to customers.

Our taxi trip to the Guardalavaca flea market was very nice and worth the journey, great way to see the scenery and some locals.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,242 reviews
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!