We just returned from our second trip to PCV. As amazing as the first trip was was, despite Sandy's intrusian, this was, at least, equal to it. The staff at PCV are the most amazing people I have ever met and it is due to them that this trip was the enormous success that it was. To paint an accurate picture for those reading this, you have all seen the devastation in the coastal states from Sandy being a category 1 storm. When she hit Cuba, it was a category 2-3. Roads were, at best, unpassable, at worst, washed away. Houses were flatened, roofs ripped off, whole fields of crops destroyed and animals dead. The tourist area was cut off from town. The staff were there around the clock without any way of knowing if their family members and houses were okay. 11 people died. Through all this, the staff were the same incredibly helpful, friendly and wonderful people as when all was normal. Within one hour of the storm ending, they had breakfast ready and they had already begun cleaning up and repairing. After a few hours, the generator had been engaged and we had power and in-house phones. By lunchtime, we were eating from a hot buffet. The water is controlled by an outside entity and did not return in the final three days of our stay. I wouldn't have expected it. I saw the destruction and to expect the water system to function with no power anywhere, would be ludicrous. By the following day, the main buffet area had been restored to it's previous glory and most of the grounds were back to pristine condition.
We returned because this resort is the best I have encountered in my extensive travels. Every aspect of a holiday is impeccibly achieved. From the food, activities, grounds and bar services to the people, themselves, this resort is five star. Their performance during these impossible conditions made the trip so much better, despite the storm, just to get to know them. I don't know how they could be so friendly and happy when they have whiny, rude and selfish tourists coming at them constantly as I witnessed. Most tourists were very helpful in the clean-up and kept a great attitude but some were downright nasty.
I must correct some claims from the previous review. The management and all staff worked very hard to make the preparations to keep us all safe. Without their preparations, it could have been catastrophic. They had been told to expect a tropical storm, at worst, a category one, not the monster that showed up. the only injury that happened, that I am aware of, was to myself. A fellow traveller broke a glass on a public stairway and didn't feel the need to clean it up. I found it when I stepped on it and got four excruxiating stitches in the bottom of my foot. Thankfully, the medical team at the resort are as wonderful as the rest of the staff. Almost all rooms were flooded. we fixed it by getting a squeegee, taking five min. and pushing the water out the balcony door. As previously stated, we had power back quickly and still had a wonderful time. By the way, in a hurricane trees get uprooted and shimgles do rip off. It is this whiny behaviour from some that flabbergasted me. Not to criticize the Paradisus because they had problems of their own, but, talking to some of their guests, they were envious of us and the way our staff got things fixed. Our pool was up and going within hours. we even enjoyed the pool bar.
Under normal conditions, PCV is fantastic and you will never go wrong planning your trip there. A big thankyou and hello must go out to the amazing public relations ladies, Vivian and Nuirka, Marianis in the restaurant, Isber, the Sunwing rep and all the staff whose names I wish I knew. I feel lucky to have met you and can't wait to see you again, hopefully, under less breezy circumstances.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Accommodation, buffet meals, 3 a la carte restaurants and El bohío resturant with charge, 7 bars, 24-hour snacks and lobby, unlimited drinks, Mini Club, pools, Jacuzzis, day/night entertainment, water/land sports with equipment and instruction, gym, air-conditioned rooms with bathroom, hair drier, telephone, safe, satellite TV, iron and ironing board, tea/coffee maker, mini fridge with welcome drinks, terrace or balcony. All Inclusive! Plus ($): internet, tours, hairdresser, massage, car rental and shop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Gaviota Hotels and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Playa Costa Verde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Costa Verde Cuba
- Playa Costa Verde Rafael Freyre
- Playa Costa Verde Holguin
- Costa Playa Verde
- Hotel Playa Costa Verde Holguin Province, Cuba