“Amazing again, despite the hurricane.”

Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Barrie, Canada
“Amazing again, despite the hurricane.”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We just returned from our second trip to PCV. As amazing as the first trip was was, despite Sandy's intrusian, this was, at least, equal to it. The staff at PCV are the most amazing people I have ever met and it is due to them that this trip was the enormous success that it was. To paint an accurate picture for those reading this, you have all seen the devastation in the coastal states from Sandy being a category 1 storm. When she hit Cuba, it was a category 2-3. Roads were, at best, unpassable, at worst, washed away. Houses were flatened, roofs ripped off, whole fields of crops destroyed and animals dead. The tourist area was cut off from town. The staff were there around the clock without any way of knowing if their family members and houses were okay. 11 people died. Through all this, the staff were the same incredibly helpful, friendly and wonderful people as when all was normal. Within one hour of the storm ending, they had breakfast ready and they had already begun cleaning up and repairing. After a few hours, the generator had been engaged and we had power and in-house phones. By lunchtime, we were eating from a hot buffet. The water is controlled by an outside entity and did not return in the final three days of our stay. I wouldn't have expected it. I saw the destruction and to expect the water system to function with no power anywhere, would be ludicrous. By the following day, the main buffet area had been restored to it's previous glory and most of the grounds were back to pristine condition.

We returned because this resort is the best I have encountered in my extensive travels. Every aspect of a holiday is impeccibly achieved. From the food, activities, grounds and bar services to the people, themselves, this resort is five star. Their performance during these impossible conditions made the trip so much better, despite the storm, just to get to know them. I don't know how they could be so friendly and happy when they have whiny, rude and selfish tourists coming at them constantly as I witnessed. Most tourists were very helpful in the clean-up and kept a great attitude but some were downright nasty.

I must correct some claims from the previous review. The management and all staff worked very hard to make the preparations to keep us all safe. Without their preparations, it could have been catastrophic. They had been told to expect a tropical storm, at worst, a category one, not the monster that showed up. the only injury that happened, that I am aware of, was to myself. A fellow traveller broke a glass on a public stairway and didn't feel the need to clean it up. I found it when I stepped on it and got four excruxiating stitches in the bottom of my foot. Thankfully, the medical team at the resort are as wonderful as the rest of the staff. Almost all rooms were flooded. we fixed it by getting a squeegee, taking five min. and pushing the water out the balcony door. As previously stated, we had power back quickly and still had a wonderful time. By the way, in a hurricane trees get uprooted and shimgles do rip off. It is this whiny behaviour from some that flabbergasted me. Not to criticize the Paradisus because they had problems of their own, but, talking to some of their guests, they were envious of us and the way our staff got things fixed. Our pool was up and going within hours. we even enjoyed the pool bar.

Under normal conditions, PCV is fantastic and you will never go wrong planning your trip there. A big thankyou and hello must go out to the amazing public relations ladies, Vivian and Nuirka, Marianis in the restaurant, Isber, the Sunwing rep and all the staff whose names I wish I knew. I feel lucky to have met you and can't wait to see you again, hopefully, under less breezy circumstances.

Room Tip: All rooms that I have seen are excellent.
33 Thank BarrieBrian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked this resort for three of us based on all the brilliant reviews that I've read.
We arrived on Oct. 23rd. Hurrycane Sandy arrived on Oct. 24th. No structural damage to this building just shingles had to be replaced on the entire roof of the lobby. Trees were uprooted, etc.
I am sure this is not the first storm there and yet no PREPARATIONS. No electricity for days, no water for days, no support from the management team. Personally, the general manger is useless . He shows no managerial skills what so ever. He would not address any safety issues nor any concerns with us. The so called "public relations" were very rude, unhelpful and shows absolutely no sympathy to us.
My room # 3318 was flooded for two days, then a huge fire on the electrical panel on the outside of my room which was extinguished by the crew. I was left there in that room for days with no water, no electricity and smell of the powder stuff that came off the fire extinguishers that made me very ill. Each time I reported it to the front desk, I was told that they are no more rooms available.
I had no choice, but to get another room at the Paradissus Hotel for an additional $216.00 per night where I was able to recupe and enjoyed the company of a wonderful team of staff.
Keep in mind, the Management at the Paradisus was fully prepared for such a storm with back-up generators etc.
When I returned to Playa Costa Verda, I was finally moved to room 2317 with a verbal apology acknowledging that because the computers were down they thought I was already moved out of room 3318. I've also received an extra bottle 700 ml. of Ron Santero rum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank bin b b
wa7 6nn
Reviewed October 29, 2012

went to this hotel for my daughters wedding 3rd october.There was 10 of us and a baby and we all had a great time. The food in the buffet restaurant was good plenty of choice the pizza bar was delicious and the lady who cooked them was realy pleasant. We went to the japanese restaurant twice which was our favourite brilliant food and they put a good show on too.The swimming pools were big so there was lots of room, the animation team worked hard to occupy people.There was shows in the theatre which we enjoyed also the cigar room we used at nite as it was nice and cool.I liked the way the rooms were in blocks of 8 so no high rise the bedrooms were quite big and the girls worked hard cleaning them. Loved the beach plenty of sunbeds and a bar for when you needed a drink. The staff were lovely and everyone made a fuss of the baby.the wedding was lovely it was like a fairytale all in all a wonderful holiday.

6 Thank irenewrexham
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We Have been going to Playa for 4 years now and can not say how much we enjoy our stay there each time. The staff are excelent and can not do enough for you. It is one of the most cleanest places we have also stayed in. We Can not wait to go back next year and if we could we would visit more often!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Gandg09
England
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just had 2 weeks here and could have easily done 3. Cleanliness is excellent throughout the resort. I always have problems with food abroad but not here, the freshly cooked pizzas, pasta chicken, fish etc was wonderful and there are so many restaurants to choose from. The Japanese is not only good but also good fun. People so friendly and helpful, I must mention Annia in Customer Relations who made our stay special.

The rooms are very big, unfortunately in our room the air conditioning was not very cool, even after we had it fixed, but that is the only negative I have.

Massive pool and a lovely beach where the snorkelling is fantastic.

If we ever go back to Cuba this is where we will stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as the balcony is large
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Clu61
Eganville, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very nice trip! awsome Staff, had a blast with "superstar" one of the morning pool employees, she for sure made our trip! user of what to have to drink as this was our first time to cuba but with the help of the bartenders we quickley found moijtos and cervasa were the two best drinks. I ate french fries all week becasue i do not like fish and have a gluten allergy but the other people i went to said that for suba the food was alright. loved the pool although they could use updating with the chairs, great nightly entertainment. wonderful pool shows. i would go back to this resort in a heart beat and i would also highly reccomend it!

Room Tip: If looking for a good room ask to be on the second floor. this helps take away the risk of having un...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank kayla1515
canada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Nice place. Sparkeling turquoise water. Room is clean and the airconditionner is suprising really silent. Best block to be is the 28XX, next to the beach:)) Food is good. The Japanese restaurant was the best:) but the Cuban with the langoust worth to try:)) we can go at each of them as often as we want. There's a lot of big rock in the ocean. You need tu be very carefull. It's not really a place for someone with disability..poor lighting in the path at night... . The staff are friendly and the service is very fast. Note: there's nothing to buy at this place except cigar and alcool...no vendors at all:( ...the sunset is beautiful...brign your own bock because they use very small plastic glass for the drink.. the most attractive thing to do is the beatiful fish you can see right in front of the hotel...wow! I was snorkeling each day..the coral fence is long as the beach...in front of the Blau it's deeper...small beach: from the Blau to the Pesquero 15 min walk from one end to other.Well I simply had a great week with my mother in law. I do not recommand this place for single or young couple because it's very quiet and calm.

Room Tip: try to be at block 28 it's the nearest to the beach
7 Thank iza_quebec
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#4 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!