“Not too bad for the price”

Islazul Villa Don Lino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
“Not too bad for the price”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I usually enjoy small hotels and Don Lino was in the right size of hotel but beach was very rocky, even too rocky to enjoy the beautiful scenery. You must walk 10 to 15 minutes to Playa Blanca and meet Carlo and Alenjandro to enjoy the beach and order yourself a PIZZA to calm your stomach down lol, which I didn't mind so much cause we had made friends at the hotels that made it fun to discover and walk around. The food was bad... they definitely need to work on that. Most guests got sick and so did I for two days but that is Cuba for ya if your not careful. Must visit the fisherman's village Gibara (45mins away), beautiful and worth the 30peso and eat at CocoMar! For the price pls do not go with a high expectation, be careful with food I suggest to bring chips and chocolates to calm ur stomach and books and things to entertain yourself ...!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ss_mtl

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Read all the reviews prior to going to Don Lino, and honestly, it was more than I expected in a 2 1/2 star resort. People were extremely friendly, rooms were lovely and clean. (nope...did not stay in the bungalows, stayed in a room across from the pool). So the beach was a little rocky....you only have to walk or ride about a kilometer to Playa Blanca, which was beautiful! A little windy at Don Lino, but without that breeze, I truly believe it would have been extremely hot! Not really any activities to speak of at the resort, as it is small, and the entertainment troupe consisted of 2 people, but there was a band that came in most evenings for an hour or so, some dancing, some spanish lessons, horseback riding is free, and runs each day if you make reservations, and bikes are available for easy rides.
Food: I was not looking for gourmet fair, and did not get gourmet fair. So, expectations met. Would have liked to have little signs on the buffet, as it was sometimes hard to distinguish what was what...so I just avoided the unknown! Loved the cookies at breakfast, and depending on who was cooking, the omelettes were what you would expect!
I am in my early 50's, so I doubt that our children (in the mid 20's) would have enjoyed this resort, as it may have been a little too relaxed! People of Rafael Freyre (town of Santa Lucia) are friendly, area is safe and easy to get around.

Would I return? This was horribly, embarrassingly inexpensive for 2 weeks. I would return to Cuba, but would like to take an historical tour by car, probably starting in Havana, going to Gibara, then to Santiago du Cuba.

Room Tip: Disco night on Wednesday night was the ONLY night that noise was an issue. Earplugs would be helpful...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank JoanneA79
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Small and friendly....relaxed. I got to know everybody...Best sleep I've ever had....never disturbed at any time. No bank at the resort, so change your $'s at the airport, but Ruben, behind the bar can often help you, but he makes a bit on it....that's only fair. Ruben runs a taxi service too and is connected, if you want anything, snorkling/diving/fishing/cigars....you name it, he'll set you up. I found him to be honest and helpful. I got to know his whole family...I like to go to a country and meet the real people..His taxi is the red Lada. Leo is another great service provider, good english as-well and a 1951 Willis jeep...safe and reliable taxi. The horse-driven carriages are parked just outside the resort gates, they are a bit intimidating..sometimes eight or so hangin' around....but I got to know them all...honest and friendly, but no english at all. Jordi took me to find cigars and another time for a shave and a coconut,,,just had a ball. He is the big fella with the broad smile. He stopped at his home to introduce me to his children and wife. On my last day he took for a tour and wouldn't take a nickle or a peso. Let me drive his carriage as well.
Food was ok, but not great, but if you order in the morning you can get a wonderful lobster dinner with a bottle of wine for 9 peso, highly recommended...
Very rural setting, I love to be surrounded by fields, farms and livestock. I stopped my mo-ped to ask a farmer if I could film him ploughing with oxen...no problem....but to beat that he let me do a couple of passed turning down corn stubble....how cool is this??????
Never felt safer....wondered all around before and after dark...many Canadians were invited in for coffee or dinner...
It took us a couple of days to figure everything out, no-one there to give you much guidance. That was the fun....seemed like that was the job of the "repeaters", to help the "newbies".
I have a lot of good stories....nothing bad at all....I did not want the 5 star situation...it embarrasses me....I told my travel agent I wanted straw mattresses and bunk beds....this don't come close....comfortable rooms/quiet/relaxed/friendly folks...what more can you desire....My kinda place....

Room Tip: new "bungalow"...have 4 units in them but were quiet and new and it all worked....heard co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Mike L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at Don Lino the 1st week of March. We have travelled extensively and have stayed at a 2 star in San Andres for 8 consecutive years. We also stayed at a 2 star in Manzanillo Cuba 5 years ago. Don Lino does not compare. A 2 star rating does not mean zero service. I have never seen anything quite like Don Lino.

Rooms - I have not figured out the room descriptions yet. I have seen "Bungalow, Cabana & Room". Our 1st room was in in wooden building with 2 rooms on bottom floor and 2 rooms on top. Very small and dark. Could hear every movement from beside and above. We requested to move to #1001, a pool view room. It was much nicer. Bigger, quieter and brighter. No complaints about this room. Always very clean. Great maid service.

The Food. Well It's Cuba so we didn't expect much and we got even less. Everything was cold and a mystery, as nothing is labeled or identified. We didn't even bother going for dinner two nights. Bought some crackers at the store and that was it. We did go into to Santa Lucia one night to La Bamba. Great food and service. Very nice people. We should have done this earlier in the week and we would have gone more often.

Other Misc thoughts. Not once all week did we get offered a coffee in the morning. It was always a game to figure out where it was and then get it yourself. One morning a spoon was ng on the floor for quite some time. Finally the waitress picked up and put it back on the table in the place setting. Nice! The table clothes were always filthy dirty and never cleaned of crumbs and stains. Never offered any drinks with dinner. Also saw several Canadian men with their Cuban wives/girlfriends on the resort for the week. How demoralizing for both. And then they would bring their family/friends in the day and the paying guests couldn't get a lounger. Also, lots of food and booze gets loaded into a van moved to a part of the resort to the far left. NOt sure what goes on there. We did try to walk over, but they have it gated off. A drunk person tried to tell us it was military. Yeah right.
We tried to tip, but found it very difficult. We walked and biked the countryside and did leave a full suitcase full of clothes, tools and personal toiletries for the locals.

Enough said. We would not go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RandySven

Travelers are raving about these Rafael Freyre hotels

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

A travelled Feb 17 through March 3, 2013.
JymMorton's review was perfect. I usually travel to Brisas Los Galeones via Santiago de Cuba. It was closed this year so I gave Don Lino a try. Overall my impression was good. My only complaint was by luck of the draw. Some tourists are just inconsiderate and self centred. All inclusive is right up their alley and they think they have to drink till they drop. In doing so they disregard other guests and become loud, boisterous and downright ignorant but the hotel can not be blamed for this. I guess it is just the risk that you take when travelling.
I had emailed the hotel asking for a 2 bed, quiet room and got a confirmation that my request was had been honoured then after being there 1 night I was asked if my room met my expectations. 2.5 star hotel 5 star staff!!
Tips and gifts were not expected by appreciated. I didn't tip the wait staff until my last night and was served perfectly the entire time.

Room Tip: Room 1019 was perfect
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Ella W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I just returned from my second trip to Don Lino, and granted it's not for everyone but you need to read the reviews and make sure it's the hotel for you. I think some of the reviewers here must not have done much investigation while at the hotel.
1) I had coffee every morning before 6:00 am you just need to ask the bartender to go into the kitchen to get it.
2) The Espresso Bar opens at 7:30 every morning (officially) but most days I could get one earlier when the bartender was setting up his area.
3) Taxis do not charge per person, excursions do. If you get a Taxi to Santa Lucia it's $10 in $10 back, Guadalavaca $20 in $20 back and Holguin is $35 - $40 depending on the driver. A few of the staff make money on the side by getting a bus and taking you into either Guadalavaca or Holguin and that is a per person rate. (I did a Sat. night in Holguin with Jr. and instead of being back at 1 am like promised we were pulling him out of the bar at 2 am to start the trip back)
4) If you want to go to Santa Lucia, the best way to do it is by Horse and Carriage, I'd suggest looking for Ossmel as he truly is one the nicest people you'll ever meet, and he will spend as much time as you'd like getting there, touring you around the city and bringing you back all for $20

Last week the Scooters arrived at the hotel, so now if you want to rent a scooter you can, I didn't but I think the shortest time you can take them for is 2 hours @ $13 which is more than enough time to get you to Santa Lucia, a meal and back.

If you want a swimming beach go up the road to Playa Blanca (10 min walk from the west end of the resort or 15 mins by road, $3 by carriage) It's beautiful and in winter it's empty. If you want to snorkel and see all kinds of things go into the Don Lino Beach. Yes it's very rocky but there wouldn't be sea life there without the rocks. I saw sand rays, fish, octopus and a bunch of things I can't name.

This resort is not a paint by numbers kit like others I've been to in Cuba. You want something you need to ask for it. They don't tell you the store is not open Mondays after 12:30 nor Thursdays all day and if you don't ask you won't know. The staff there (for the most part) haven't been well schooled in 'hotelery' but they try very hard to please. For example 1 night 8 of us were playing cards on the restaurant patio and at 10 o'clock the staff were finished work so they turned off the lights and left for the night leaving use in the dark. We picked up and moved to the bar patio, but the next morning I mentioned it to Adrian the restaurant manager that most Canadians find something like that rude; a 5 minute warning would be nice, he came back to me an hour later and said he told all restaurant staff not to turn the lights off on the patio if people are using it, and give the key to the bartender for him to turn off the lights after the people leave. What a simple fix, tell the right people what's not to your liking and they'll do their best.

If you can't entertain yourself this hotel is NOT for you. It's not one of the big resorts where there are 1000s of people to keep you entertained. There's not a lot to do on the resort and they only get 4 channels on the TV. Dance lessons have 2 people showing up to them and though the dance instructor is a good dancer, she isn't professionally train so don't expect to get a lot out of it. The life guard is there because his father is head of security, the wait staff is slow, and I bussed my own table more than I sat down to a clean table, oh well that's what I expect from a 2.5 star hotel. Heck my last day there I tended the snack bar because the cook disappeared after putting down a basket of fries and I thought it was better 'play chef' then watch the place burn down because the cook left the BBQ grill on max and the fries in the oil.

If you are adventurous and want a place that's quiet and isolated but doesn't have a lot to do then go to Don Lino and enjoy the whole community which means get off the resort. Any of the people living on the road to Playa Blanca will invite you into their house for a chat, you can stick your nose in the school and all the children are thrilled to see you. One day a group of 7 of us with the help of a band member fixed a roof on a local's house because it has been open to the sky since October. This is the type of things you can do at Don Lino if you are bored laying around the beach or pool, but if you like just laying on the beach or pool patio then you're in luck they have both and with more than enough beach chairs to accommodate. Expect lots of 6 to 8 inch lizards running around and the large toads come out at night (though it might just be the same one because I only saw 1 per night). Sometimes your room would smell and you'd have to open the bathroom window and shut the bathroom door again for me oh well, but lots of people won't like that 'extra work'. They have a disco on Wed. nights, my first Wed. there were 4 people at it, the 2nd Wed they had 30. You have to walk to the other building if you want free drinks because the disco charges for drinks, I've seen the same thing in 5 Stars but at least here you can take your free drink into the disco with you.

If you do think you want to go there then don't forget your Large Thermos, the glasses are plastic and small but if you hand him a litre size thermos and say Servaso, you will get a litre of beer (draft only, bottled and can beer are a buck a pop). One guy had 1.5 litres of Pina Colada to go to Playa Blanco and the bartender didn't blink he just poured it with a smile.

Many of the staff will change money for you if you don't mind paying an extra 2%. Keep a $5 bill with you and ask your favourite staff member if you can buy $5 worth of loneys or twonys off them on your last day as they can't exchange coin at the bank.

I call them as I see them, if you have any questions about the resort feel free to message me, and I'll let you know what I know. i.e. the manager is Julio and he's always in his office if you want to see him ask the receptionist but don't tell her why, just say you need to talk to him.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
43 Thank JymMorton
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went as a family for the reading week and got there very late due to the snow storm in Toronto. They have no internet and not even a printer so the recepcionist had to write all the guests information by hand and it took a while to do it for everybody. The showers are terrible and the beach is full of rocks so the only way to enjoy it is if you have swimming shoes (and we didn't...). The pool is nice, but unfortunately it was cold all the time. The people working there are very nice and the food is also good, but since we came to enjoy the beach and the ocean, it was a bit frustrating. The boat excursion was the nicest part, lots of fun. The check out is at noon, but our bus to the airport was living at 5, so we had to pay extra to keep the room until 2 and then we had to wait in the loby. Prepare your pockets also if you want to go to the city by taxy, they charge you 25 dollar per person. We met some people that have been going there very often, but I'm sure we do not intent to go there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Islazul Villa Don Lino? Share your experiences!