“Very nice little cafe in Neutral Bay”

CJ's Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 142 Restaurants in Neutral Bay
Cuisines: French, Swiss, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice little cafe in Neutral Bay”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was just passing by with a friend when we spotted this little cafe serving fondue. The lady that served us was so friendly and very experienced. It seems she was the only one serving the customers but still managed to do everything in a timely maner. We ordered cheese and meat fondue and they were both delicious. Nice environment, very french and good price I would say. I would definitely recommend CJs.

• Visited July 2013

“Awful, awful, awful!!!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband & I went in as the place was empty & we were hungry & thought it odd that asian people were running a french restaurant - they do offer spring rolls?! We found the staff so rude we were left with our mouths open in horror! We then asked to speak to the manager/owner to complain & shock, that was the manager/owner! His wife started shrieking at us & so we paid the overpriced bill for the bland, badly cooked asian/french food & ran for our lives! This is more of a rough cafe, definitely should be closed down by the authorities!!

2 Thank RestaurantLoverz
2,868 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,848 helpful votes
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Perhaps my fault but my curiosity got the better of me.
I drive past here regularly and I have fond memories of wonderful communal fondues in my younger days.
Food though has changed so dramatically and my tastes have changed enormously.
Just dunking a few bits of bread in a bowl of hot cheese doesn't work any more and $24.90 seems a lot to pay for such a dish.
There are so many other restaurants in Neutral Bay that offer quality, variety at better value

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank RonWamberal
“Great French Experience”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Come here regularly for our cheese fondue fix. Food is great - atmosphere relaxed and the staff always great. The Fondues are excellent as is the steak. Kids always love the chocolate fondue to finish off
Worth giving a go
Neil

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Neil R
Sydney, Australia
“Nice fondue in a busy cafe”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Had a great time over very nice dinner featuring cheese fondue at CJ's. This was my very first visit to this cafe.

CJ's is a cafe on Military Road in Neutral Bay. The ambience is "casual & friendly". They don't have a dedicated parking area so if you drive, you will need to park in one of many small streets nearby. There are a lot of on-street parking (free after 6pm) around, you will just have to get there early to find a spot.
For those who are visiters to Sydney, Neutral Bay is a Sydney suberb, on the north side of Sydney Harbour (Sydney's CBD is on the south side), and it takes only about 10~15 minutes by bus from Townhall Station bus depot in Sydney's CBD. There is no train line going to Neutral Bay. The closest train station is North Sydney and you can get to CJ's on foot in about 15~20 minutes (but if you are wearing high heels, I suggest you take a bus or a taxi).

The place itself is small, there are only about 30 seats (could be smaller). I made a booking and I am glad I did, as the cafe was nearly full at 715pm (on a Friday evening), and shortly after we arrived, the cafe was completely full.
It got a bit noisy (but I didn't mind that at all) as the space is limited. It appears to be suited to casual dinner amongst friends, and not really for a couple who is solely after a "5 star" or "romantic" dining experience. After all, CJ's is a cafe/bistro.

We chose to go to CJ's because we wanted to try their fondue. The cheese fondue we had was a typical swiss fondue dish - flavoured melted cheese that comes with bread. You need to order for minimum 2 persons, $14.99 per person so you will look at $30 for fondue for 2.
The mains we had = gnocchi & a seafood basket, were not overly excellent but good strong dishes.
The belgian waffles were really nice and reminded me of waffles in Bruxelles.
With these very hearty dishes, plus 2 glasses of house red and a soft drink, our bill was just over $100.
We perhaps could have gone for a 2 course fondue option, - at $35 per person minimum order of 2 persons, as we actually felt quite full after our cheese fondue! (you can see their full menu online via their website).

The staff member who served us was a French lady and she appears to be the owner (or co-owner) of CJ's. A very attentive and friendly she was, and the level of service provided was impeccable. I could see she was very experienced and knew exactly what she was doing.

I would definitely return to CJ's, perhaps with a few more friends next time.

• Visited October 2012