“Good local bistro”

Hayes Street Wharf Bistro
Ranked #42 of 152 Restaurants in Neutral Bay
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hayes st Wharf bistro is an hidden gem in the heart of north Sydney. Our aim is to be a bistro serving modern French cuisine focusing on food wine and coffee. With head chef's 10 years' experience in haute cuisine and his extensive travel throughout Australia and Europe he brings us a bistro with a touch of european flavours which takes advantage of the best local and seasonal produces.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Amazing what a difference the service makes - a gremlin got in my last review and I said Chris, it is actually Gavin and he does a good job running the restaurant and understanding the local needs. The Frenchman who temporarily was front of house and brought some attitude with him has gone. Gavin has brought in a couple of chefs with a good background and experience and they deliver a quality food experience in a relaxing local (not French) atmosphere.
Excellent value at $46 for 2 courses.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

There have been changes but not sure if it is for the good.
When you ring you are told that there is new ownership but the website still refers to Chris - when I ask the contact he says Chris is in the kitchen so still not sure.
The menu has changed but in theory it is more French which means more cream and wheat which makes it hard for my wife. The French waiter doesn't negotiate and says my wife can have a beetroot salad and a pork dish , that is it - no negotiation whereas Chris was always adaptable.
In reality I loved my entree and lamb nosiette but Lynn;s limited choices spoiled our night.
But the stupidity is that they present a bill in an American Express folder and promote the card and then announce that i have to pay 3% for their preferred card - it just seems customer relations and service have gone backwards in the past 3 months.
Have been twice in the past month just to be sure I am not making a hasty judgement but on both occasions went away wondering what has happened.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Had lunch at the Hayes Street Wharf Bistro and enjoyed the food. The bistro is tucked away on a no through road towards the Neutral Bay Ferry Wharf. I had the pork dish as main and it was very tender. The mango lime cheesecake was divine. Only had trouble finding parking but great French cuisine if you are looking for one.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Having read the reviews we invited two friends over to join us for dinner. Compared to most of the other reviews we thought we must have been at the wrong restaurant. We were greeted by an incongruous individual who didn't seem to have much idea of anything. The signature starter was limp, tasteless and simply didn't match any of the descriptions we had read.
I had Pork which was 25% fat, very little actual pork and too much gristle. The dessert was reminiscent of a supermarket mousse spooned into a dish with chopped strawberries on the top.

The service was very indifferent and by 9pm the staff had switched off the background music and were standing outside waiting for the last guests to depart!

There is so much better value out there than this and as we walked away up the hill the nearby Thai restaurant was still busy.

Very disappointing and needless to say we will not return.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Good quality bistro with excellent produce - had the duck a l'orange again and is certainly more enjoyable than so many local French bistros. A little mix-up with the byo as I normally take a good wine but byo is only accepted during week nights, not a Saturday. Excellent value.