“Delicious Soup and Sandwich Place, coffee shop & fine dining all in one.”
Review of Edible Matters

Edible Matters
Ranked #6 of 66 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Halifax, Canada
“Delicious Soup and Sandwich Place, coffee shop & fine dining all in one.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Four gals (middle aged but young at heart) visited here today. We loved the clean, crisp decor. The only reason for 4 stars is because we are not fans of the stand and look up over your head at a menu board, try to decide while not holding up other folks waiting to do the same thing. ** Big issue ** Other than that everything was 5+ stars - the service, the taste of the food, the presentation of the food, the availability of "purchase to take home" products and being able to see the chefs hard at work in the kitchen in pristine conditions. There were two orders of the Fishcakes and baked beans; one order of a large Curry Squash Bisque with a huge tea biscuit; and one order of the Fresh mozzarella basil pesto with prosciutto grilled sandwich and a small curry squash bisque. Not a crumb was left on anyone's plate. My order of the Tomato / Pesto / Posciutto Grilled Sandwich and a small soup came to just under $20.00 - for the service, quality of food, and beautiful dining location it was well worth it.

• Visited November 2012

“Had hoped for more”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I eagerly anticipated this new restaurant opening and I hope it will improve with time because it is so close to home for us. We have eaten here 3 times now and keep hoping to be impressed. The meal the first night was actually the best and we would be raving fans if it had stayed at this level. I had the oven baked salmon and it was very tasty and was warm enough although the salmon was just one shade from being very over cooked and dry. My husband had a salad with a fruity dressing that was good enough to drink by the cup full!!! He had the minted lamb and this was very tasty but not very hot. The second time we went the salad was tiny but maybe it was a miscommunication in what we ordered and we both had the pork tenderloin which was barely lukewarm and a little dry. Last night we gave it another try and started with fish cakes which were tasty but not that hot and they were dry but certainly lots of fish. I had the beef cheek ragu which was way, way too salty .... I actually picked out the mushrooms and pasta and left the beef as it was just too strong/salty. It came with an arugala salad that had too much lemon juice on it. My husband had the beef which was oven done so only one choice of 'doneness' which was OK but the meat was a little tough.
We may give it another chance because it is so handy on those nights we don't want to cook but so far it is a little disappointing.

Tarifa
“will be returning”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It was only today that we saw a write up on this cafe so being open to trying new restaurants off we went this evening. The inside was a pleasant surprise and very well laid out - the feeling of not being crowded and low key decorating which suited this restaurant very well. We did not mind ordering from the menu board at all and staff extremely helpful indeed. Enjoyed the bread basket of goodnies which is unusual indeed, at least here. All choices were fresh and warm so had not been sitting out waiting ........... My husband had the haddock fish cakes with the special baked beans He was impressed that the fishcakes actually had lots of haddock and also enoyed the flavor of the beans which is quite smoky and different from the norm. I ordered their pork which was served with a variety of vegetables. The green and wax beans were cooked perfectly but the other vegetables were still too hard even to eat. The pork, for me, was perfectlyy cooked. It was moist and slightly pink. The latter might not appeal to a lot of eaters but this is the way I like it. There was actually just too much pork on my plate to the point where it took away from the presentation. I did feel that it could gain from some au jus along with the apple compote which was nice and chunky and not too sweet. Anyway, they gave me what was left to take home which is fine. We did not have space left for dessert but we certainly plan on going back shortly and taking some guests. Am anxious to try the chicken and the steak.

“Unique Dining Experience”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

So I am a bit of a foodie so when something new comes along I want to try it. Last Saturday I enjoyed not only fantastic food but a unique ordering and viewing experience. Set up as cafe style (for now I guess) we ordered Halibut and Pork Loin dinner selections accompanied by fresh local vegetables. We chose a table overlooking the kitchen - yes an open kitchen - I watched my Halibut being prepared! A basket of bread was delivered - corn bread, grilled garlic bread and, my favourite, marble rye. Gluten free did not have a chance! The meal was delivered quickly and hot off the press to our table. I paired it with a Tidal Bay from Avondale Winery. Fabulous.

I was a quick cafe style experience with a fine dining presentation on the plate. It felt a bit like going to a great movie or reading a great book - it seemed to end quickly but we are still talking about it so it has something unique to draw us back again! I would recommend a visit - either for a meal or take out from their front counter.

2 Thank Cindy J
Canada
“Food is Awesome”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This might be our new favorite place to eat in the Metro area. The sandwiches and soups are super tasty if looking for a quick lunch. The main menu is full of things that make you say I would like to try this and this and this. Everyone at our table truly enjoyed everything. The food was checking with all my taste buds. They source almost all of their food locally which is nice.
The dining area is very cozy and relaxed. You can watch the kitchen prepare you food which is a neat little feature. Give it a try you will be happy you did. We will be looking forward to our return.

• Visited August 2012