“A nice overnight stay between David and PC”

Hotel Vista Lago Ecoresort
Bend, Oregon
“A nice overnight stay between David and PC”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

New hotel halfway between Panama City and David. The staffed seem to be new as well. The hotel is just outside of Santiago (west), which makes for a quite and peaceful location. Rooms are large with king beds. Actually a pleasant overnight stay and they have a nice upscale restaurant - and the food was okay. My only complaint is that I reserved a room twice via their internet reservation form but they never sent an email that confirmed receiving or booking my room. I had to call to confirm.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DCB-Bend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Newark, Ohio
Reviewed February 7, 2012

During my stay at the hotel when Panama America Highway was recently closed I had over $500 taken from my purse which I left in the room with the door locked. WARNING… DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR ROOM AT THIS HOTEL. The Hotel was not cooperative. To my knowledge the staff was not even questioned...The money was clearly taken by someone/someones who has a key to the rooms.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I and our two kids ages two and four had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for four nights at the beginning of our two-week vacation in Panama. We stayed here to visit family who live in Santiago and to attend a family reunion that was held at the hotel.I think our stay would have been perfect but for a few issues that in my opinion makes it a less than optimal choice for families with young kids.

I was very pleased with the condition, aesthetics, and utlity of the facility and the rooms. The property is located well outside of Santiago and is actually in the town of La Pena and well off the main road, which effectively eliminates any traffic noise. This isn't a party place and becomes really quiet at night even on the weekends, which I appreciated since our young ones went to bed early. This also adds to the serenity of the property.

The lobby, pool, and restaurant areas are integrated which provides a nice atmosphere and flow to the property.There is a full bar next to the lobby and lots of room for socializing. A ping pong table is available there for anyone that wants to play and we made use of it. The outside eating area is lovely. If one wants to eat inside there is an air conditioned facility, which is also where events are held. Although the space can be cooled, the air conditioning isn't actually turned on unless someone is using it and even when it's on for a while there is no danger of it getting too cold.

The rooms are nicely furnished with lots of closet space with shelving that allowed for a certain amount of unpacking. We had two double beds in our room. We were able to push one of the beds against the wall which provided a good sleeping situation for our toddlers. The bathroom in the room is great: very modern and clean. There was warm (not hot) water in the bathroom while I was there.

Food at the hotel restaurant was very good, especially if compared with what's available nearby - albeit it's a little pricey. We had our breakfasts at the hotel and enjoyed dinner there a couple of nights. The house wine is very good and there is a respectable list of wines that can be purchased by the bottle. The food we were served at the family reunion was delicious.

I didn't think this hotel was a kid-friendly as it could have been or could be. I often found myself having to work quite a bit to make sure my kids didn't get into trouble.The owner has a dog that follows him everywhere, even in the restaurant areas. The dog seems nice enough but didn't appear to be accustomed to toddlers or incredibly open to socializing with them. I didn't get much input about it from the owner and got the impression that we were in unchartered territory. To avoid trouble I didn't allow my kids to interact with the dog which proved to be extremely difficult since the owner and hence the dog was constantly around or at least that was the case when we were on the property. I was having to run interference here quite a bit, making my vacation a little more active than I had anticipated. We ended up taking most of our meals inside rather than outside to avoid run-ins with the dog.

The dog was the big issue, but there were also some nit picky things that made our stay just a little less enjoyable. The surface around the pool is the same tile used in the shower in the rooms and is very slippery and not very appropriate for the pool area. If I didn't have toddlers slipping around on it I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. On the other hand, there is a shallow part of the pool that is appropriate and fairly safe for toddlers to wade around in.

I should also mention that there is a small playground with a slide and swings behind the pool that my kids enjoyed although I believe it is likely that the set is made for older kids so a certain amount of hands-on supervision was required to enable my kids to enjoy it. There is a small drainage ditch between the pool area and this playground that is hard to see because of the grass growing in and around it. A rudimentary walkway of wood planks on one side of the playground structure allows guests a way around this.

The man-made lake on the property is a nice touch but is surrounded by a steep incline that requires some care in approach to keep from tumbling into the water. My toddlers always wanted to get up close to see the ducks and other wildlife in and around the lake (again another cool feature) but I was terrified about them getting too close and falling in. More agile guests that can negotiate the steep incline can take advantage of a paddle boat provided for their use and enjoyment.

All in all I thought the Vista Lago is a great hotel but not so great for families with young children. We returned to Santiago after spending some time in the Azuero and I was torn about whether to stay again at Vista Lago or try La Hacienda. We ended up staying at La Hacienda, which I think is a much more kid-friendly place, but certainly not as nice and serene as the Vista Lago.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stacie71
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed January 5, 2012

What a nice place to spend a couple of days! Convenient location, beautiful views of a small lake, well appointed rooms, delightful pool area and tasty breakfasts. It doesn't get much better than this!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HolyCrossSanPedro
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed December 16, 2011

When we travelled from Penonome to Boquete, we decided to stay overnight in Santiago. This gave us the possibility to do some sightseeing in the morning before we took of, direction Boquete.
The hotel is next to the Pan American highway in the neigbourhood of Santiago. Coming from the direction of Panama City, there are several signs showing the way. The hotel is well isolated from all street noise and has a nice view on a small lake, which practically surrounds the complex. There is a lot of parking place and a pool which invites for a swimm.
The buildings are new with very modern rooms. There is a 2 story high building with the bedrooms and a building with the hotel reception, a bar and a nice open restaurant with very good food.
The staff is very attentive, the rooms are clean and the reception and restaurant are stylishly decorated.
This hotel was really a nice experience during our Panama trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We held a conference here in October, and took up the entire hotel. Everyone there was very friendly and accommodating. They were able to adjust to our needs, and made sure that we were well taken care of. Because we were the only people there, they even put on a dance party for us around the pool one night. The food was really good (too good!), the rooms were clean, modern, and the view is beautiful. It is close enough to Santiago to be useful - if you need to go to the store, etc. But it is far enough away to be a nice retreat.

The only difficulty is that because of the rain, my bathroom floor continued to flood - but the staff was there immediately to clean it up.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view. It depends on how many people you have, and if you like being upstairs...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ValerieGW
Montenegro
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed at Vist Lago to divide up our drive between Panama and David.

Hotel is nice in a nice location. Staff was friendly and helpful. For the price, it is an excellent choice. The only observation is the exterior mantainance needs attention.

Food: waiter was great. very attentive an fast. Food was OK, but nothing to rave about.

Overall we recommend this hotel for a stay in Santiago.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ed and A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santiago de Veraguas
Mykonos Hotel & Convention Center
Mykonos Hotel & Convention Cente...
#1 of 4 in Santiago de Veraguas
#3 of 3 in Santa Catalina
Galeria Hotel
Galeria Hotel
#3 of 7 in Santiago de Veraguas

Been to Hotel Vista Lago Ecoresort? Share your experiences!