“not for gluten free eaters!”
Review of Les Fougeres

Les Fougeres
Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Chelsea
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located 10 minutes from the National Capital, Ottawa. Experience our acclaimed cuisine in our welcoming new dining room or on our veranda overlooking our gardens.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife is gluten sensitive (and also a vegitarian but eats fish). I contacted the restaurant a week prior to discuss her needs and they assured me that there was alot of options, even suggesting to me that their whole menue went gluten free some tiem ago.(this was a server i think and told me whatever he wanted to get me off the phone I think.
When we came for supper with friends, they had no gluten free breads avaialble, a poor selection of meals for entrees (although salad and desert was nice). The waiter offer her the vegitarian menue and with restrictions suggested a cheeze plate (very so-so) for her entree!

Local was nice, service was satisfactory for the cost (100$ person) but dining options for gluten restrictions was very unacceptable especially since I let them know a week in advance...would it kill you to have some appropriate bread frozed for such situations?
We also sat outside which was nice but a sewer smell whiffed over occassionally (residential I think).

2  Thank kalervok

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We usually go to L'oree du Bois, but thought we'd try Les Fougeres. The food was good, but not fantastic. We sat outside on the patio. A wonderful view, but we were at a plastic outdoor table with wicker chairs that were too low for the table. The chairs in the main dining room did look more comfortable though Dinner was $185 with tip for 2 people for the table d'hote, we each had one drink before dinner, and a glass of wine each.

2  Thank JMontCanada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The restaurant is rustic but charming with a lovely screened in porch that holds a number of tables that look out over a glorious garden. The food is sophisticated and sublime, making use of local ingredients. There is a gourmet grocery store where you can pick up many delicacies, including their beautiful balsamic maple glaze. I highly recommend.

2  Thank TravelGirlDeluxe
Reviewed June 28, 2013

It was our anniversary and we decided to invite our close friends for lunch on weekend and we were not disappointed. It was very comfortable atmosphere, beautiful view to a garden and perfect service! We had excellent food and everyone in our group had a great time !I would recommend this place to all my friends.

BasilOttawaCanada, Manager at Les Fougeres, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your post. We're happy to have acted as hosts for such a special gathering, and even happier that everyone had such an enjoyable experience. We very much look forward to doing it again!
Thanks again for your comments.
Regards,

The Fougères Team

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Was there with a group and our menu was prix fixe with a relatively undistinguished selection of dishes. I've been before and thought that what we got was fair but not outstanding value. What did stand out was the signature duck confit which was excellent.
The service was good and I'd be happy to return and have a bit more control over my meal choice.

1  Thank aMarmiton

Thank you very much for your feedback. We're happy you enjoyed the duck confit, as it is, as you mentioned, our signature dish, and one of our most popular items. We are sorry, however, that you felt limited by the options on the group menu your party was offered. We try to limit the choices on our group menus to three options per course, simply so that we can ensure that service moves along at a good pace and our guests aren't kept waiting. It would be our pleasure to have you return as a smaller party, whereby we could offer you the choice of our à la carte menu, monthly table d'hôte or our 5- or 9-course tasting menu, which should provide you with much more in the way of choice!
Thanks again for taking the time and we hope to see you again soon
Regards,