“Wonderful caves!”

99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Wonderful caves!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The cave part was totally awesome, they are beautiful and exciting to go through. You have to watch your step carefully and bring flashlights. The warm is surprisingly refreshing and not that cold. Do not bring valuables you do not want to wet because sometimes your whole body is in the water, but for the most part the water is shallow. The first cave was the best, the second cave at the end you actually have to swim underwater to reach the exit unless you turn back. Bring good shoes!

What I didnt like: The actual trail leading up to the caves is tricky to find and there isen't many signs to guide you, we had to keep asking strangers if we were going the right way. And the hike itself is nothing special, not very scenic but the caves make it worth it at the end.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Jolie J

Ottawa, Canada
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Great spelunking!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

A small group of us went spelunking in this awesome cave and we loved our time there! Bring a helmet, a flashlight, and lots of kleenex as you will get dirty.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank dazeydaisy
Ottawa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Lusk Cave and kids - great but know your limits.. and theirs”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I did this with our 8 year old daughter yesterday July 27, 2013. Note date, year - consider water levels (this has been a wet summer).

This is a great adventure - just as the other reviewers state - HOWEVER - you need to know:
--the long hike in is just that, but not hard - we took the NCC route - rolling gravelly pathway - we actually biked it - the hills are hard for a child if their bike is one gear and heavy..
--the last km uphill hike is not very uphill in my opinion - 10-15min walk - very easy really, we have done a fair bit of hiking with our kids
--the caves:
super cool - a headlamp is a must in my opinion because you want to use your hands to climb
we had some rushing water in places but manageable
yup we wore our swimsuits and we were soaked but water was warm yesterday
HERE'S the HOWEVER:
-if you are claustrophobic (read ME) - you will need to decide if you can handle this - I had a momentary panic when we went into the section where there is NO light, but I took deep breaths and followed the MANY others going through, this helped.
-if you are not comfortable in water up to your head and a ceiling right at your head - DON'T do the last part. -
so we got to the end and the people ahead of us took off their headlamps, lay on their backs, and half-walked backwards, and floated through the last section - my husband says it's 12 ft - but I couldn't see the end, and we had people behind us, and I wasn't really prepared in advance for this
- so our 8 year old immediately tried to follow the others, but hadn't removed her headlamp or turned over - we didn't manage to stop her in time - she banged her head (was upright and over her head in water - excellent swimmer, but couldn't get her mouth above the water line to breathe and had to swim back to get to air. So, there were tears and, frankly, it upset me to see her do that. So while I believe I could have managed to do the last part, I would have hated it, and am quite happy that we ended up turning around and going back out. Note - you have to climb up rocks where the water is rushing to get to an exit (halfway point).
In all, it ended a little badly for our daughter, and slightly traumatized me to see her go through this.
Would I try again - I think so, but now that I know what it is, I feel more comfortable about how to do it. Or, I would answer a resounding yes, without the past part.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Livetotraveloften
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“SO COOL! - BRING A FLASHLIGHT”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I were looking for new/different things to do in the Ottawa area. We stumbled upon this and thought we'd check it out!

Getting there is half the fun. After a fair hike, you end up not really even knowing if you've found what you're looking for. Lucky enough for us we saw people descending down into the cavern and were able to follow them to find the way in.

The first half of the cavern is light enough that you don't need headlamps - but watch out you'll definitely need them for the 2nd half.

Our second summer we went with a large group of friends who thought it would be fun to try and do the 2nd half without headlamps or any lights at all. Needless to say it was awesome - but not a super smart idea. I personally ended up taking a pretty bad punch to the face from a rock wall and ended up with a pretty deep cut. But the war wounds were worth it. Would I do it again? In a heart beat.

Check it out - one of the best things the Greater Ottawa Area (yes, I'm incorporating Quebec into Ottawa) has to offer.

p.s. Almost forgot the best part - at high levels you need to swim your way out of the cavern ... doesn't get any cooler than that.

People with small children should probably stop after the first half.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Amanda C
Quebec
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“a family adventure close to home”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have been in this cave many times: as a child myself, with a group of friends, guiding school children and with my own children...
Plan a whole day, half of which you can play at the beach and the other with this 7,5 km return hike to explore this cool cave!
Bring a change of clothes, a bike helmet, a flashlight (headlamp is preferable) and have some good shoes on (running shoes that you dont mind getting wet or some sturdy walking sandals). Flips flops and rain boots are not ideal.
Expect the water to be cold and to get completely wet if you go through both portions of the cave...there is no chance of getting lost in the cave since the water still runs through it,,,you just have to follow the current and it will lead you to the exit!!
Do it more than once...have fun!!
If your child can handle the hike, he/she can handle the cave!

Visited August 2012