“New Year's Eve celebration”
Review of L'Oree Du Bois

L'Oree Du Bois
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Chelsea
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Gatineau, Quebec
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Year's Eve celebration”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband & I with 2 other couples rang in 2014 at l'Oree du Bois. What a wonderful evening! We were given a warm welcome upon our arrival, there were festive hats, tiaras with feathers, & noisemakers decorating our table to add to the party atmosphere. Our waiter Jeremy provided excellent attentive service throughout the evening & champagne was provided for toasting at the enthusiastic countdown to midnight. We lingered over coffee/tea & homemade chocolates were given out as we happily departed. The table d'hôte menu featured 7 courses & we all raved about the sweetbreads entree with king oyster mushrooms & Madeira sauce, the "trou Norman" pink grapefruit ice with Campari & the white/dark chocolate mousse cake with goat cheese - all outstanding! L'Oree has become my favorite restaurant to celebrate special occasions with family & friends.

• Visited December 2013

“Will return”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

2nd time going in the past year and was just as pleased. Excellent food and service. Can't wait to go back

• Visited November 2013
Gatineau, Canada
“Outstanding evening once again!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Wow!
After last week review by Zeniatrip, I had to confirm that my opinion about l'Orée was true. So I've decided to invite one of my friend to come with me for dinner. It was her first experience and she loved it! I was, once again, very happy about all my choices! The waitress was helpfull and very kind. The bussboy was just as nice. The hostess gave us a beautiful table even if it was a busy night. The colors in the plates were awesome! Art in the plate!
So happy the place hasn't chance a bit since Jean-Claude and Josée took over! They are very dedicated to the restaurant and are very concern about the customers satisfaction.
I already made a reservation to celebrate New Year's Eve at l'Orée
Cheers

• Visited November 2013
Ottawa, Ontario,CANADA
“Dangers of coasting on a reputation”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The restaurant has accumulated stars and awards for many years. Its internet site lists some of those. Our review comes after our wedding anniversary outing, having doled out over $100 per person. We've been coming here since 1980. Yet, the restaurant is in a critical transition period as the founder, Chef Blain has retired and sold to his sous-chef Jean Claude Chartrand. As we came in we learned that the new Chef was away. Later, during the meal, we figured that might explain certain plates and sauces were not up to our expectations built over repeated feasts of the last twenty years. I picked the Host's menu, and my significant other went with Vegetarian menu. We note the menu is extensive and attractive, but lament the significant reduction is fish entries. As we are in for gastronomy, we note that sauces are too plentiful and repeated from one plate to the next. In both cases we note the chefs like sauces. In the end, my companion gets an overall impression that she's been at a chinese food place (!!), an impression that is possible, given the new owner's training in Asia. In both cases our first plates were outstanding and then, quality went down. We chose the "pairing wine" approach @ $34: a real disaster. We appreciate that the owner wants to help local winemakers in the Outaouais, but he needs a sommelier to tell him that the Gatineau is NOT a wine producing region. Our waitress knew absolutely nothing about the wines served, even after we repeatedly asked her to enquire and explain the pairing. While the service was attentive, prompt and congenial, the placement of our table caused a nerve racking and constant running around to serve the other guests in our corner. Presentation of plates is impeccable and attractive. While the written menu is lengthy and tempting, we noted that the fish pot-au-feu shown as being done with fish stock is actually done with meat stock, a medically dangerous mixup had we not enquired. In short, we give 5 out of 10 for meal quality, in the context of the reputable cuisine rating built by the former owner. The restaurant retains its trappings of a warm and romantic atmosphere. In our opinion, the new owners are coasting on a long standing reputation of providing regional haute cuisine and gastronomic experiences. But they urgently need a senior sommelier on the floor, to live up to the tremendous assets and tradition of this establishment. The Nation's Capital needs a place like this for jet setters landing from Berlin, New York and international capitals, as they seek recommendations from their hoteliers about typical and reputable regional cuisine .

• Visited October 2013
Gatineau, Canada
“A comment for m.Zeniatrips”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Dear sir, me does not understand your comment, because we were present same evening, my spouses and I. We had an impeccable service, the quality of dishes were up to our expectations. We go to it restaurants for several years and he never stops surpassing itself. The leaded Jean-Claude Chartrand works very hardly to innovate while keeping(guarding) the origins of restaurants. He has a lot of experience and we realize it in,its dishes. In brief, maybe you were not in your plate this evening there.?

• Visited October 2013