“Reasonable price with superb food!!!”
Review of L'Oree Du Bois

L'Oree Du Bois
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Chelsea
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Never expect such a short drive from Ottawa will lead to this wonderful restaurant like inside a small forest! Make reservation early to avoid disappointment. Must check their schedule...they only serve lunch over 20 people by appointment only and sometimes they closes on certain days.
The wine list is a bit expensive. They have a wide selection of wine from France and the chef (a Canadian born French) personally pick the wine we like for us. The food is reasonably priced. For a piece of filet mignon of that kind of quality, it will easily costs over $30-40 (over $50 in Las Vegas). In here it is under $30!!
The ingredients of other dishes were very fresh.
The appetizer of 5 dishes of mushrooms is a must try. Out of this world!
Everything was cooked to perfection!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The L'Orée du Bois is located by beautiful Gatineau Park, just off the main street in Chelsea. The menu provides a range of options, each one of them excellently prepared and presented. The wine list is not too pricey. This is a restaurant that has never disappointed and excellent value for your money.

Try their truffles - they are great.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This quaint restaurant is set amongst magnificient trees in a lovely part of the Gatineau Hills, a short drive from Ottawa. It is well worth the few minutes to get there. The ambience is cozy, the service is discrete, the wine list is amazing and, last but not least, the menu is " to die for ". I was there this past July with three friends to celebrate a birthday.... we all chose the "Table d'Hote" which offered a great variety, at a very reasonable price, and we were very pleased with our choices. I'm already planning my next visit to this great restaurant.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We came here with my in-laws for a nice night out. The location is in a pretty, natural setting, as it's very close to Gatineau park. The building was once an old farmhouse, and has kept that style in the interior. My husband thought the lighting was a bit dim for his taste, but it didn't bother me.

We all started with a different soup, but we agreed they all tasted a bit on the salty side. However, the other spices and flavours were very good. I ordered the green vegetables potage, and tasted my husband 's red curry seafood soup. Both had distinct flavours of the ingredients.

Our main dishes tasted very good and had nice seasonal vegetable garnishes. I really enjoyed the savoy cabbage fricasee and tomato & zucchini side dishes. Delicious! The proteins were cooked nicely, but some of the sauces we again found too salty, and almost overpowered the dish.

My husband and I ordered desserts - they are included in the table d'hote menu. His chocolate mousse was excellent - very good chocolate flavour; sweet, but not too sweet, and not bitter even though they used a dark chocolate. I ordered the cheese plate which came with good sized portions of five different cheeses, apple slices, sultanas, nuts, and toasted baguette slices. I was quite full after my main course, but the cheeses were so good I finished the whole plate!

There are a lot of wine choices, and they offer local products like ciders and fruit wines. We also tried a bubbly fruity wine that was very nice - not too sweet, fruity, very refreshing. And L'Oree is the only place in Quebec that serves this product from France.

Very good restaurant for the area. The service is attentive, and food is very good. It does not quite match up to other fine dining restaurants we have been to in Toronto, but for Chelsea, and the Gatineau area, is a very very good place to go for special occasions or a nice dinner out.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm a regular of this restaurant, I had all the plates they offer over the years, however I must say that it's always the same, very good but it's pricey.
The wine list is impressive, but the prices are like in some other restaurants very high.
Last week we went with some relatives from abroad and we had 2 bottles of wine for $ 46 each, wines that you buy at the LCBO or SAQ for $ 10 or so, and they were bad.
Once you add the 15% taxes and 15% tip, you figure out the rest.
Any other wine, although interesting, it's out of my range, I just don't feel comfortable spending $41 on a table d'hôte meal and $ 100 on a wine.
We all know restaurants make lots on wine, but from now on I will try the excellent new bistros and pubs in Ottawa.
I forgot to mention we had 2 kids and there and there are no children menus.