“Special Day turned Disappointing then Upsetting”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Nordik Spa-Nature

Nordik Spa-Nature
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Chelsea
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the entrance of Gatineau Park, Nordik Spa-Nature is a haven that features relaxation techniques from the Nordic countries. Take the time to unwind and reenergize in our Nordic baths and waterfalls, steam baths, saunas, and relaxation areas. Revitalize all of your senses with a massage or a body treatment and a delicious and healthy meal at our restaurant & bar - you’ve earned it! Only 10 minutes from downtown Gatineau-Ottawa. Situé aux abords du parc de la Gatineau, Nordik Spa-Nature est un centre de détente privilégiant les techniques de relaxation des pays nordiques. Prenez le temps de relaxer et de refaire le plein d’énergie en profitant de nos bains extérieurs, chutes nordiques, baina de vapeur, saunas, et aires de détente. Combinez le tout à un massage ou a un soin corporel et un délicieux repas à notre resto-bar. À seulement 10 minutes du centre-ville de Gatineau-Ottawa.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Special Day turned Disappointing then Upsetting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Last Saturday (February 3rd) my family visited Nordik Spa. It was to be a special family outing. We arrived in the early afternoon around 1:00 p.m. The temperature was aroung - 12 C .As we drove up the road to the closest parking area the lot was full - so we drove down to each of the next lower lots looking for a parking spot until we finally turned onto the lowest parking lot which was empty. This lowest/furthest parking space was still covered with the light overnight snowfall that we received in the region. As we slowly turned into this lot, my car suddenly started to slide and my brakes were not able to stop the slide. Luckily we were the first vehicle of the day to use this more distant spot otherwise I could of hit a parked car. I say that we were the first car of the day in this parking lot because there were no other tire tracks on the lightly snow-covered lot. We slid into a icy/hard snowbank. The lower front end of my car was damaged. There were pieces of my fender liner broken off as well as a broken park lamp. We realized that under the light snow, there was nothing but sheer ice. The other parking areas that we tried had been treated with sand and were easy to drive through (I also have good snow-tires). At the desk, we explained what had happened. They were concerned and called the manager - who came down to see the area and the damage to my car. I brushed more snow aside to show him the sheer ice and to explain the obvious - that this parking lot was an accident waiting to happen. As we were looking at the damage to my car, I noticed another car driving into the same area and I told him to watch because this car will also lose control. This car lost control and slid into the snowbank. The driver got out of his car, slipped and fell down. The manager, my daughter and I attempted to push his vehicle because there was absolutely no traction on the sheer ice. His wheels just spun and he was going nowhere. I explained to the Manager that they neglected to put some sand on this lower parking lot. The Manager then radio the sand truck to have him spread some of his sand on this lot so that this car could drive off this lot. The Manager was very understanding and did not dispute anything that we were saying (there was nothing to dispute). He told me that the Finance department would call me to take care of the situation and that I should get an estimate for the damages. I told him that I would get an estimate and that I was also prepared to bring my car to a repair shop of their choosing.
Well, I did receive the call four days later. It was not from the Finance department - but from the same Manager. He asked whether I was able to get an estimate for the repair and I said that I did. He then proceeded to tell me that the sand truck had actually passed in that area earlier in the day (the actual sand was no longer present/visible because of the changing weather conditions or something illogical), that I was driving too fast, that I should expect this type of condition in a parking lot in a mountainous region, and that their insurance does not cover these things. He also wanted to give me a free pass for another visit - which I found insulting in light of the circumstances. I am on a fixed income and I feel I should not have to pay for something that was unavoidable on my part and yet so easily avoidable on the part of Nordik Spa. I have been to the Nordik Spa before and I will not be able to bring myself to go there again. I treat people fairly and I expect to be treated fairly by both individuals and corporations that make up our society. My family and I will not be returning after this negative experience.

4 Thank Streeet
Thalie S, Public Relations Manager at Nordik Spa-Nature, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Streeet,

Thank you again for bringing this incident to our attention.
I am glad I have been able to personally take care of the situation in order to address it properly.

We sincerely hope your next visit will be up to your expectations.

Claire Huet
Guest Services Director

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“What a relaxing day!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

It is a truly relaxing experience and the new additions are outstanding and make so much more space. Going on a week day is awesome cause there are less people. The food is good and the overall experience is just wonderful.

Carleton Place, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We are a group of 4 couples who visited le Nordik and stayed in the lodge for a 2nd time. We enjoyed it so much, we plan to make this an annual event. The new Kala bath (floating pool of highly mineralized water) was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it (make sure you ask for ear plugs). The new section is lovely and the views from the aroma sauna and infinity pool are awe inspiring. The pool behind the steam rooms is my personal favorite and the rocks/waterfall are lit with blue light at night. It feels like you are looking at a glacier. The only problem this time of year is once your towel and bathrobe are wet they freeze solid while you're in the pools. We quickly learned to alternate our time inside then out, to give the towel/bathrobes time to thaw.

The lodge is beautiful, clean, comfortable and fairly well equiped. There are 3 bedrooms on the lower floor, large common area on the main floor with an equiped kitchen, a very large table and beautiful fireplace. The other 2 bedrooms are upstairs in the loft but are not separate rooms. They only have curtains separating them from the upper common area.

Our experience was enhanced by the great staff. We were not able to get internet access in the lodge. Sean, the Manager on duty, responded immediately and got the "tech" people on it right away. In speaking to Sean, we mentioned we had a reservation at les Fougeres restaurant for that night and asked if he could recommend a taxi service. He told us not to worry he would take of it for us. Sean come back to the lodge a short time later to tell us because the taxi's have to come from Gatineau they would charge us $25 per cab just to get into the cars and he did not want us to pay so he and another employee would drive us there in their own personal vehicles. I should mention our reservation was for 7pm and Sean finished his shift at 7pm so part of this was done on his own time! Our other drivers, Max and Daniel were also very accommodating and delightful. On the Saturday night, Sean came to the lodge saying he heard we were planning on walking to the Chelsea Pub for dinner. He brought us all mini LED lights to make our walk safer. What a wonderful consideration, and we greatly appreciated it!

Can't wait to see the place in the fall.

1 Thank Eleasa R
Barrie
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautifully refreshing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited this day spa after Christmas to unwind after the holidays. It was absolutely amazing hideway, minutes from Ottawa, tucked into the quaint little village of Chelsea, Quebec. It was recommended by the spa that we stay at a near by hotel called the Ramada Plaza located in Hull to book you can reserve at - reservations@ramadaplaza-gatineau.com

We had a 10 inches of snow the night before we arrived and thus had to run in the snow (barefeet) from one hot tub to another or to the dreamy steam bath, or one of their many sauna. It was a day of total relaxation combined with wonderful wine and cuisine.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Catherine M
Ottawa, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Enjoyable day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We decided to go for the baths and we had a lovely day! The place is beautiful, especially in the winter with all the snow, the atmosphere is top notch and the price is right!

Visited January 2013