“mike the manager”

Ranked #9 of 14 Kefalos B&B and Inns
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“mike the manager”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I travelled to Greece with my family for a wedding. I was staying at the Eleni alone as my family were in other hotels in the area and the Eleni was the only available place to stay at last minute. At first I thought Mike the manager was very friendly as he was offering me free drinks and cigarettes. On the third night of my holiday I went to ask Mike to borrow his wifes hairdryer and he all of a sudden started asking me questions about men and relationships I have had. I am unable to put on here exactly the type of questions that he was asking me as they were so vulgar and disgusting, and he went on to tell me that after the wedding he would like me to go to a free room with him where he will give me "the best hour of my life". I went straight to my room to ring my mum and tell her what had happened and she contacted the Olympic rep who straight away moved me to another hotel to ensure my safety.
I am a female in my 20s and I was shocked and disgusted at Mike's proposition and I would like to advise any lone female thinking of staying at this hotel to not do. I don't know what he is capable of but I felt scared knowing that he had a master key to all of the bedrooms.
Avoid at all cost!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank emma j

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

when we arrived at the hotel it was in the early hours of the morning and mike looked at his watch as if we had done something wrong or were late?? after the first night in a tiny airless room on uncomfortable mattresses, i asked Mike for a blanket for comfort more than to keep warm, he said to me does your husband not keep you warm, to begin with i thought this was a bit of a joke and laughed it off, he said follow me, we went into the blanket room and he began saying he would give me a good experience and i had a lovely smile and pretty eyes, he said that there were rooms free and he would be 'good' , i said i was not interested and he grabbed me and tried to kiss me,it was shocking and made me feel uncomfortable. i also met a mum and daughter who were staying at the hotel and the 20 something daughter had a similar experience of harassment in this appalling manner from Mike, they were moved but despite what happened we stayed but always together (with my husband). i would advise any female to be vigilant and lock the room up when alone. after this i ignored him and basically pretended he did not exist, not even looking at him or acknowledging him and there were no further issues at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sue g

Travelers are raving about these Kefalos hotels

Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I arrived here about 2am & as soon as I saw my room which was one the ground floor , very small but worse very stuuffy as there was no way of letting in air other than leaving the door open but this was right by the side parking area so open to anyone so as a lone female it did was not an option. I begged to be moved, the owner said it wasn't possible but at least gave me a fan so I tried to make the best of it. I got no sleep at all as the matress on the bed was thin & the springs stuck in my back whichever way I turned so it was impossible to get comfy, the one on the other bed was the same .By 7am I gave up & got up with extreme backache. At 8am I went to breakfast (tea or cofee,powdered orange & bread) The owners commented on my be up so early but when Ii told them of my lack of sleep due to the uncomfortable bed they weren't interested.
Happily for me the rep came at 9 am & the tour office found me a much better hotel later that day. Speaking to other people it seems that it is the luck of the draw with rooms at the Eleni as those on the first floor are much better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tillstours
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I am writing this to make other women aware of the owner of Eleni Hotel.
My husband and I have just returned today, from a week in this hotel. We looked at the reviews and it was just what we were looking for. For the first two days it was perfect small, good location and very clean family run hotel. We were disappointed in our room and Mike the owner, was happy to move us into a front room over looking the pool. Everything seemed perfect. on our third day we spent the day on the beach then came back late afternoon. My husband and I sat at the bar area and Mike came to join us, the three of us chatted. My husband went to lay on a sun bed reading just few feet away and I stayed chatting and finishing my drink in the shade. Mike commented how well we got on from the start and did I feel it too, asking me what my star sign was I, when I told him he said we were a perfect match. He started speaking in a low voice and said he would give me a good reason to come back every year, he would show me a good time and if I came down when my husband was asleep I wouldn't be dissappointed.,I sat there shaking my head in disbelief at what I was hearing. He said he'd never been turned down before. I sat there thinking how best to deal with this situation. I am a mature women in my fifties, but it caught me off guard. Thankfully someone wanted serving at the bar so he left. I quietly told my husband who wanted to knock his head off. We discussed it at length and decided to keep out of his way for the rest of our stay. Thankfully we did not have to deal with him again. I knew I needed to write a reveiw to make other females aware of this slimy lecherous old man. I saw Jules review and it makes me sick inside to think this happens all the time. It's not just lone females that needs to be warned but all females staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Can't comment on hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank larraine l
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had been to Kefalos with my husband and due to its friendly and welcoming atmosphere, felt confident returning to the resort on my own. Initially, I found the owner of Eleni, Mike, friendly, however, this soon turned into interest of a kind that was certainly unwelcome.

After about two days at the hotel, Mike approached me as I was sunbathing by the pool and struck up a conversation and offered me a beer. I was the only person around and although I was content reading my book, I had a beer and tried to find some common ground to talk to Mike about. As stated previously,Kefalos is a laid back and safe resort, so I felt no threat in chatting to the owner of the hotel. Mike then started making sexual propositions to me and invited me up to a room for the kind of fun I could have without my husband being around. I was horrified and outraged and told him so, he persisted with his advances and it was only the arrival of the couple staying in the room next to me that stopped him.

I am a well travelled woman in my mid forties and and I decided that I was not going to let a lecherous opportunist spoil my holiday, this is easier said than done and I was uneasy sleeping for the duration of my holiday. I ensured that the couple staying next to me were aware and they were naturally supportive and protective.

I also witnessed Mike propositioning other females during my holiday and I would go so far as to recommend that the Eleni Hotel is not a safe place for lone female travellors to stay. This is a terrible pity as the hotel has such potential, it is spotlessly clean and well positioned within the resort. Mike's wife works extremely hard and although her english is limited, she is welcoming and engaging.

Don't let this review put you off Kefalos - as a worldwide traveller, it's up there with the best of the Greek Islands as a chilled out, value for money resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jules1968186338
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

burnetts

last minute booking, 2 star. but turned out good. very very clean. breakfast is basic. bread,butter,jam,coffee or tea and orange juice.
no air con in our room (but fan provided if required, just ask). again you get what you pay for. the swiming pool was clean. both the manager and his wife are at times a bit blunt, but when you get to know them they are great people, very busy people, they never stop (well at least eleni never stops cleaning).it is of the main road but a easy 5 min walk to it. there you will find any thing you need for a great holiday.the beach is just past the shops. turn right and the pier/jetty for fishing trips is about 1/2 hour walk either along the beach or past the bars and shops. turn left at the shops and you will see T42 (TEA FOR TWO). this is a great place for brits to have home comfort food. they will even do you a packed meal for your trip/flight home.

Room Tip: the room we had #5 got the sun in the afternoon.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart B
Reviewed August 25, 2012

After booking last minute I then checked the hotel on trip advisor and read all the reviews of which were across the board opinions, but with that we'd thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt which we did.

On our arrival greeting was fine and straight into our room, which was as expected small and basic. I did find a cockroach on the floor so I had to evict him but that didn't really bother me.

Everything was fine with location and there are some really good tavernas and restaurants on offer I.e the rainbow (very good value and big portions), Sydneys bar. There are some good bars to go to as well I.e Sebastian 2, flamingo, players And the Sydney bar.

The beaches are good especially paradise beach. Hiring of scooters/quads/buggies is a must they are soo cheap. We went to kos town twice on our holiday.

Our opinion of the eleni changed when on our second day we removed the sheets on one of our beds as I had a nose bleed which I sometimes suffer from. The problem came when we came back the wife of the owner came up to us and impolitely said we weren't allowed to change the sheets as they get changed every two days and gestured towards my girlfriend that the blood was from her period by pointing towards her groin area, with the lady not speaking much English and with her tone of voice it seemed impossible to explain the situation which made my girlfriend very upset to say the least.

The reviews about the owner being sleazy I would say are on the right path, the way he looks at and speaks to the girls is a little creepy.

All I can say is that I don't think they really care about the guests which is a little harsh but if your standing at the bar waiting to get served and he is sat on the table playing with his friends on a board game he will not get up and serve you, which happened to me which resulted in me having to go to the local store for a drink. And there is a notice by the pool saying you are only permitted to drink drinks from the pool bar which is impossible if he is otherwise engaged (with his friends)

I will not be coming here again and wouldn't recommend it as their attitude and lack of people skills are apaulling

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Ella2012ella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Blue Lagoon Village
Anthoula Hotel
Anthoula Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kefalos
Sacallis Inn Beach Hotel

Been to Eleni Hotel? Share your experiences!