“All Females Beware”

Ranked #10 of 14 Kefalos B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“All Females Beware”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I am writing this to make other women aware of the owner of Eleni Hotel.
My husband and I have just returned today, from a week in this hotel. We looked at the reviews and it was just what we were looking for. For the first two days it was perfect small, good location and very clean family run hotel. We were disappointed in our room and Mike the owner, was happy to move us into a front room over looking the pool. Everything seemed perfect. on our third day we spent the day on the beach then came back late afternoon. My husband and I sat at the bar area and Mike came to join us, the three of us chatted. My husband went to lay on a sun bed reading just few feet away and I stayed chatting and finishing my drink in the shade. Mike commented how well we got on from the start and did I feel it too, asking me what my star sign was I, when I told him he said we were a perfect match. He started speaking in a low voice and said he would give me a good reason to come back every year, he would show me a good time and if I came down when my husband was asleep I wouldn't be dissappointed.,I sat there shaking my head in disbelief at what I was hearing. He said he'd never been turned down before. I sat there thinking how best to deal with this situation. I am a mature women in my fifties, but it caught me off guard. Thankfully someone wanted serving at the bar so he left. I quietly told my husband who wanted to knock his head off. We discussed it at length and decided to keep out of his way for the rest of our stay. Thankfully we did not have to deal with him again. I knew I needed to write a reveiw to make other females aware of this slimy lecherous old man. I saw Jules review and it makes me sick inside to think this happens all the time. It's not just lone females that needs to be warned but all females staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Can't comment on hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank larraine l

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had been to Kefalos with my husband and due to its friendly and welcoming atmosphere, felt confident returning to the resort on my own. Initially, I found the owner of Eleni, Mike, friendly, however, this soon turned into interest of a kind that was certainly unwelcome.

After about two days at the hotel, Mike approached me as I was sunbathing by the pool and struck up a conversation and offered me a beer. I was the only person around and although I was content reading my book, I had a beer and tried to find some common ground to talk to Mike about. As stated previously,Kefalos is a laid back and safe resort, so I felt no threat in chatting to the owner of the hotel. Mike then started making sexual propositions to me and invited me up to a room for the kind of fun I could have without my husband being around. I was horrified and outraged and told him so, he persisted with his advances and it was only the arrival of the couple staying in the room next to me that stopped him.

I am a well travelled woman in my mid forties and and I decided that I was not going to let a lecherous opportunist spoil my holiday, this is easier said than done and I was uneasy sleeping for the duration of my holiday. I ensured that the couple staying next to me were aware and they were naturally supportive and protective.

I also witnessed Mike propositioning other females during my holiday and I would go so far as to recommend that the Eleni Hotel is not a safe place for lone female travellors to stay. This is a terrible pity as the hotel has such potential, it is spotlessly clean and well positioned within the resort. Mike's wife works extremely hard and although her english is limited, she is welcoming and engaging.

Don't let this review put you off Kefalos - as a worldwide traveller, it's up there with the best of the Greek Islands as a chilled out, value for money resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jules1968186338

Travelers are raving about these Kefalos hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

burnetts

last minute booking, 2 star. but turned out good. very very clean. breakfast is basic. bread,butter,jam,coffee or tea and orange juice.
no air con in our room (but fan provided if required, just ask). again you get what you pay for. the swiming pool was clean. both the manager and his wife are at times a bit blunt, but when you get to know them they are great people, very busy people, they never stop (well at least eleni never stops cleaning).it is of the main road but a easy 5 min walk to it. there you will find any thing you need for a great holiday.the beach is just past the shops. turn right and the pier/jetty for fishing trips is about 1/2 hour walk either along the beach or past the bars and shops. turn left at the shops and you will see T42 (TEA FOR TWO). this is a great place for brits to have home comfort food. they will even do you a packed meal for your trip/flight home.

Room Tip: the room we had #5 got the sun in the afternoon.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart B
Reviewed August 25, 2012

After booking last minute I then checked the hotel on trip advisor and read all the reviews of which were across the board opinions, but with that we'd thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt which we did.

On our arrival greeting was fine and straight into our room, which was as expected small and basic. I did find a cockroach on the floor so I had to evict him but that didn't really bother me.

Everything was fine with location and there are some really good tavernas and restaurants on offer I.e the rainbow (very good value and big portions), Sydneys bar. There are some good bars to go to as well I.e Sebastian 2, flamingo, players And the Sydney bar.

The beaches are good especially paradise beach. Hiring of scooters/quads/buggies is a must they are soo cheap. We went to kos town twice on our holiday.

Our opinion of the eleni changed when on our second day we removed the sheets on one of our beds as I had a nose bleed which I sometimes suffer from. The problem came when we came back the wife of the owner came up to us and impolitely said we weren't allowed to change the sheets as they get changed every two days and gestured towards my girlfriend that the blood was from her period by pointing towards her groin area, with the lady not speaking much English and with her tone of voice it seemed impossible to explain the situation which made my girlfriend very upset to say the least.

The reviews about the owner being sleazy I would say are on the right path, the way he looks at and speaks to the girls is a little creepy.

All I can say is that I don't think they really care about the guests which is a little harsh but if your standing at the bar waiting to get served and he is sat on the table playing with his friends on a board game he will not get up and serve you, which happened to me which resulted in me having to go to the local store for a drink. And there is a notice by the pool saying you are only permitted to drink drinks from the pool bar which is impossible if he is otherwise engaged (with his friends)

I will not be coming here again and wouldn't recommend it as their attitude and lack of people skills are apaulling

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Ella2012ella
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My friend and I have just been to eleni hotel for a week, we are 2 girls in our mid 20s and it was a great place for us to come on holiday. The resort kefalos has been quieter than usual this year according to the locals, however this made it more relaxing!
The hotel is basic, but absolutely fine! The rooms are basic but very clean. The same can be said for the bathroom. For breakfast you get bread which is nice and fresh, and can get tea, coffee and orange juice. We thought this was very fair considering how much we paid for the holiday. The pool is lovely, there are wasps, but you get used to them. Food from the pool bar is nice and you can get access to free wifi if you ask mike for the password.
All in all we had a lovely stay and the fact that the hotel was basic didn't bother us.
We think kefalos is lovely,
There are plenty of lovely tavanas to eat in along the sea front and if you fancy a drink or two go along to players.

• Stayed August 2012
Stow Cum Quy, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

we have just spent the week at the Eleni Hotel and found it a very friendly and spotlessly clean hotel. Mike the hotel owner and his wife Eleni were both very helpful and friendly to us. we asked for aircon and had to pay and extra 40 Euro for the week which we were more than happy to do.
The rooms are basic which is all you need as you only sleep in them. the pool area was very clean and plenty of sunbeds. the Hotel is just off the main street and only about 150 meters to the beach. very quite relaxed place to stay. defo going to go back later in the year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lampleg
Brussels,Belgium
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed for one week @Eleni, late August 2011. Hotel is a 1,5 star, located on a quiet street, just 200 meters from the beach and the main road along the coast. Because of a double booking, we stayed the first 3 nights in one of the largest rooms of the hotel, but I deliberately do not call it "a suite" ;-), with a huge terrace, overlooking the pool and the sea. Then we were moved (I should say: we had to move our stuff ourselves) to a "normal room" next door (which was half the size and with a small terrace but the same great view). Both rooms were clean and cleaned every day, had airconditioning and I would highly recommend to go for A/C during summer (very hot). Both rooms were basic with an even more basic bathroom. No shower curtains, so the whole bathroom is a swimming pool after a (nice & cold) shower. But hey: we were there to spend time sailing, being on the beach and being outside, not to spend time in our room.
The breakfast was extremely basic. The staff was kind and helpfull in their own way ;-) ( the owner is a bit grumpy or stubborn at times, but that has its charms).
One major minus was the quality of the beds, more particular: the matrasses. The owner claimed there were new and expensive "health matresses", the two of us ( we're used to "hard matrasses" at home) slept badly the whole week because of the "near-concrete" experience lying on them. Luckily we then moved to a 4 star hotel in Kos Town... with extremely good beds ;-)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ketsinjoor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Blue Lagoon Village
#6 of 15 in Mastichari
Koala Hotel
Koala Hotel
#11 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Eleni Hotel? Share your experiences!