“Perfect stay at the Hermes hotel”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Corringham, England
“Perfect stay at the Hermes hotel”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Recently returned from the Hermes hotel and would just like to say that we had the most amazing chilled-out fortnight in excellent accommodation. Having had a very difficult year, personally, myself and my partner wanted to go to a laid-back resort and have a relaxing time. Based on the fact that I had hokidayed in Kefalos in 1986! and the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, we booked a late break at the Hermes.
Can only echo comments by others - great hotel run by a lovely family who go out of their way to make sure that guests have a good time and nothing is too much trouble. Rooms were modern and cleaned daily with Sheets and towels being changed virtually daily. Only gripes we had - and these were very small-were that our toilet cistern /whistled for England when it filled and there was no blind on the door which /meant that we were woken on the first morning by sunlight streaming through the glass! Both issues were reported to Sebastian who explained that the whistling was caused by high water pressure and that. he would try to get a blind for the door. Needless to say, this being Greece' nothing was done! However we overcame the problems by only flushing in the hours of daylight and by and by putting a towel up at the door!
However apart from this can only thoroughly recommend the hotel and all the staff- Sebastian and Diana who were just lovely and Nicos and Spiro who worked hard behind the bar to keep everyone he entertained and refreshed best of luck in the US this winter, guys!
Kefalos itself has a wide range of cafes, bars and tavernas with plenty of choice for everyone. Top of our list had to be Harry's [Limani taverna:-). Harry was there in 1986 when I last visited but is just the same. The Food is great - can particularly recommend the stuffed chicken - and coupled with Harry's repartee, hugs for the/e ladies, all of whom he wants to marry, and a great selection of numerous t-shirts, this is THE place to go for a great night out!
Can also recommend Captain Johns, Argo [great spaghetti marinara], and Sebastian's.
We hired a jeep for 3 days and went round the island-highky recommended as there are some lovely places to visit-Mastichari and Limnionas are lovely, quiet and very Greek.
All in all, a lovely relaxing break and we will definitely return. Just a point to note-heard a rumour that one of the main tour operators ' Thomas Cook, may be pulling out of Kefalos next year so may be worthwhile checking this out if you.re planning on returning next year

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Hermes hotel in August.The room was very basic but very clean the sheets and towels were changed daily except Sunday,there is a hairdryer and a small fridge but if you want to have a tea or coffee in your room it cost 5 euros per wk, it might be a good idea to take travel kettle.The breakfast is a bit of a letdown continental breakfast is tea or coffee,juice and 2 slice of toast or cereal.instead of toast.The pool bar has very nice food at reasonable prices.The hotel is spotless and the staff are friendly and helpful.Rooms at the top of the hotel have a wonderful view but there is a steep climb to get there so not for anyone with walking problems.Rooms have to be vacated by 11am or 7pm if you pay 25 euros,our pick up time was 1 05 am so it was a long time to wait around.All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.Best place for food is Sydney's bar which is a short walk away, once you have eaten here you won't eat anywhere else.It was a most enjoyable holiday would go back again.

Room Tip: If your fit the rooms 316 upwards are great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paddytwinkle
west midlands
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just returned from a seven night stay at Hotel Hermes. After reading some of the reviews after booking a was a little concerned to say the least, most of the negative ones I can dismiss from my personal experience.

Rooms:

Clean, spacious, views to die for. Towels changed daily ( cleaner speaks little English but she is lovely - bit like your Mom! ) Yes ok in Greece they don't often have shower curtains however their is a drain in the floor ( like a wet room) and it isn't my floor so if it floods it will drain - no harm done, the lack of a hook for the shower head I do understand as I am a big lad so take some scrubbing - always better with two hands rather than one.

The rooms outside of the main hotel have been recently renovated so are better, the main hotel rooms are due for renovation according to Diana, they are a little old fashioned and do need doing. Air con is 49 Euros a week which I think is a little pricey - others paid 30-37 elsewhere.

Service:

Excellent is how I would describe it - all staff are very friendly, plenty of smiles in the morning, the guy that run the pool bar was a delight - constantly happy and joking, don't know if he is family or if he is only an employee that's impressive if he is an employee as he made part of the holiday what it was - delightful!

Food:

Read loads of moans on here over the continental breakfast, first being the juice is really thin and watery - that's because it's packed with ice to keep it cool, wait a few minutes and Sebastian will be out to put a fresh dispenser on and all is good. Toast and Jam - not my idea of breakfast but you know what you are going to get when you book, the first morning my toast came out underdone for my tastes ( it's the Greek way) I asked the lady if I could have it well done and it was returned to me as requested ( didn't have to ask again during the week she remembered) .
If you want more substantial food then pay for it there or visit the many other places in Kefalos that do Breakfast - it's not rocket science you know. Pancakes were delicious, bacon & eggs OK but this is not the Ritz! What do you want for a few Euros!

Pool Area:

This was scrupulously clean, plenty of loungers ( no sneaking out at dawn to reserve one), didn't matter what time we went down, always loungers available. The food at the Pool Bar was OK, it's only snacks but that's all it needs to be. They had run out of Pizza's much to the chagrin of my ten year old son, however, they were back on the menu the following day, once he had one it was kind of worth the wait, very nice. Pool toilets clean as was bar area not the biggest pool in the world but it didn't need to be.

Food:

Yes you can take food to your room, there is a fridge ( the sign on the room door says you can't - rep will confirm you can) , we had no plates, kettle ( took my own travel one thankfully as I sleep little I want a hot drink when I want one) no cutlery nothing - bare cupboards , I understand the economics of doing this so as to encourage you to eat in the dining room - a little stingy I think - could cost more in lost return customers than you make selling food - older guests ( don't want to say OAP's) were the most annoyed at this. If you are going to buy food to eat in your room be mindful that a few supermarkets do not price everything - if it is not priced either ask or do not buy it, one place charged me 7.70 Euro's for two bags of crisps, never realised until later, won't name them even though I should! Needless to say there are two supermarkets in the harbour close to each other - the one called " better than Asda" is a lovely store, the owner is lovely too, service with a smile and a chat, honest pricing too, we probably spent around 200 Euro's in there during the week, the range of fresh food and pastries was very good, as was the olive bread. We were also offered free use of the sunbeds.

Kefalos Beach:

Not the best to be honest, difficult to walk on, mainly pebbles and larger stones, stepped too so not so easy to get in to the sea , we travelled further afield for the beaches and weren't disappointed.

Kefalos Town:

It's quiet, partly due to the economic situation in Greece I think and partly as it is not the jazzy nightlife kind of Town, suited us a treat though, some fabulous restaurants and bars and some lousy ones too, my advice talk to your fellow holidaymakers of their experiences, we did and found some great places to eat. The best and also the more expensive one to be fair was the very last one by the harbour, viewed one night it was empty bar a few locals drinking there, still decided to eat there as a just felt it looked more traditional and less mass catered - I was right, just wish I could remember the name of it , ( walk along the sea front towards the harbour and it is the last restaurant - it nestles on the beach ), the service was excellent and unrushed - as is the Greek way, the food was fabulous, traditional cooking with wacks of flavour, the brother in law ordered Goat Kleftiko (normally it is Lamb) , when he opened the paper wrap it comes in the smell was delightful, once tasted the flavours were all encompassing - you experience one flavour then another then another (he's a Butcher by trade so isn't easily impressed) , I had the seafood spaghetti this too was packed with flavours and some heat too.
One thing to remember though, you can eat the same meal in different restaurants and there will always be a little difference in ingredients and flavours as most recipes are family based so do differ. I could go on forever about this restaurant but sure you get the message!

Overall:

A nice holiday with family on a budget, Hotel Hermes is not 5 stars and never will be, it is a clean honest family run hotel. Ideal for a chilled out holiday.

The hill up to the Hotel would be a challenge for some people as it is steep, there is a land train but we never got to catch it as it had typical Greek timetable - a mystery, if you don't want to climb stay in the valley, however do note it is hotter as the ones up the hill benefit from some ferocious and welcome breezes.

We Rarely revisit places as like to move around a bit but if I went back I would definitely consider The Hermes.

Points to note - the service is better if you book excursions with the rep but is a lot more expensive , we visited the Volcano at 45 Euros each could have paid 18 if booked elsewhere , our guide was very very good and knowledgeable though, if you want service pay the extra but if on a restrictive budget then get down to the harbour and haggle!

Don't feel I can add more but if you do have any questions please do ask, more than happy to reply.

Room Tip: The higher the better as you get to appreciate the views even more, also the main hotel rooms are aw...
4 Thank mark421748
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have just returned from one week in Kefalos and stayed at the Hermes.

It has everything you need for a relaxing holiday. The views were amazing.

The staff at the hotel were brilliant - couldn't do enough for you but also gave you space to enjoy the holiday. Everything at the hotel was very reasonably priced.

The rooms were nice and cleaned everyday apart from a Sunday. Clean towels every day.

We stayed bed and breakfast - the breakfast is basic - tea, coffee and orange juice and a choice of toast or cereal. We went for toast most morning and it was delivered to our table lovely and warm. You can order extras if u want a more filling breakfast and the pancakes with nutella were delicious.

We had dinner at the hotel one night - roast chicken, potatoes and chicken gravy. There isn't a big choice but the food was gorgeous and home cooked.

There is a lovely big pool with plenty of sun loungers. We had lunch at the pool bar most days and it was lovely. The strawberry milkshakes were the best milkshakes I have ever had.

The resort of Kefalos itself is lovely - it is quiet and not a great deal of nightlife.

The best restaurant we tried was Maria's - the food was fantastic and pretty cheap.

You can get a train up to the old town which is very nice too - some nice restaurants and even better views.

We done two paid excursions - a trip to Bodrum and a lazy day boat trip. It was 40 euros per person per excursions and we got one free - a trip to Paradise Beach. I wouldn't recommend the free Paradise Beach trip unless you are a beach lover because there is no way back until the bus comes for you at 3.30pm. We tried to get a taxi but there were none available and no bus service either. We had to walk back which took almost 2 hours. The trip to Bodrum was good for shopping but the bus was supposed to pick up at 7.30am and never turned up until almost 9am. The lazy day boat trip was also good but they pack everyone onto the boat like sardines.

Kos is lovely and we would definitely go back to the Hermes.

2 Thank MartinVeronica
Shropshire
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed a week (family of five with children aged 15, 13 and 8) in early August and had a very relaxing time, with no worries for the entire duration.

Arrived in the early hours of the morning after a delayed flight, though was greeted and shown to our rooms with the minimum of fuss by Nikos. Being five we ended up having two rooms, though the hotel owner Diana apologised for this as no family rooms were available. We didn’t mind as we were a late B&B booking anyway.

The breakfast is a very economic continental, with a choice of toast or cereal, with tea coffee or squash; other items are available such as omelettes, pancakes, etc. at a small price.

The rooms were fine, cleaned daily by very enthusiastic and extremely polite staff, though there was a tendency to flood the bathroom when using the shower. The pool was a great size and we never had any problems getting sun beds, with the pool bar being fairly reasonable for drinks and snacks.

We walked down every night into Kefalos (which seemed very quiet) for a meal and would recommend the Santa Barbara as being great food at a very reasonable price. The walk down was around 15mins though we suggest you may want a torch for the walk back as the road can get busy at times and it is not paved nor lit that well.

Overall, if you want a quiet, relaxing week (like us) we cannot fault the Hermes and we would have no problem in recommending. Everyone there looks after you.

Room Tip: Upper rooms to get good views of Kefalos and the sunrise
4 Thank Mark S
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend have just come back from a week staying at the Hermes Hotel. Was good value for money, clean, fantastic pool (always in the sun), great location and friendly staff. Room was spacious and had a fridge which was useful. Air con was 49 euros for a week. It is a windy island so if you can do without do so. Shower was a tray with a hand held shower head without a curtain/screen. Was a bit of a pain especially when wanting to have the shower height to wash your hair and the bathroom ended up with a soaked floor but you just got used to it. Fab view of the sea and mountains. 10 minute walk to the sea front which has lots of tavernas. Pool bar good value for money and good choice. The ice creams are amazing!! Kefalos itself is a quiet location but if you want a relaxing holiday then its ideal. Overall an enjoyable stay and would recommend to others.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank busylizzie87
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

went here last year and we still talk about it,such a lovely,friendly place,food was nice and the view from our room was amazing. walking distance from town center and beach too. would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple