“You get what you pay for but host were fantastic!”

Pantheon Apartments
Ranked #4 of 14 Kefalos B&B and Inns
Horsham
“You get what you pay for but host were fantastic!”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have chosen this hotel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor so I knew the hotel will be very basic and it was - it could do with some TLC however it was enough for me and my friends as we spent most of our time outside exploring.
It had amazing views of the Kamari Bay - which was worthing climbing up every day from the beach, as the hotel is on top of the hill. You can see both sides of the island from the hotel - the north side is bit windy and the wind hits you once you open the door when leaving the hotel.
The food was lovely - I was prepared to have really small dinner portions (after reading the reviews) however once we have eaten all 3 courses, we were all full up. There was a choice of Greek food and English food,as most of the guests were English.
The owners were really lovely people and would help with anything - especially Janet - she made us feel really welcome and came to say goodbye when we were leaving.
The one thing the hotel could do with would be a shower curtain as there isn't one which caused the bathroom to flood.
Kefalos overall was very quiet town - I am not sure if it was down to the end of the season but there were rarely any people in the bars - it seem like the main nightlife was down at the Kamari Bay which was around 40 minutes walk for us.
From all the atractions I would recommend Greek Night in Zia which was amazing and definately worth the money as you get food all night and free wine in an amazing scenery and fantastic entertainment, We have also gone on the ferry trip to Nysiros which was beautiful - mind you the price only included the ferry trip and back but we rented a car to see the volcano and Emporios village, and an absolute must is the village of Mandraki - it is a very traditional, white house with narrow streets Greek village - you could get lost in those streets...it was beautiful! We have also climbed the monastery however it was closed but the views from the top of monastery were breathtaking. I definately recommend this island.
We have also rented some scooters and went to see Asklepieion which was quite interesting and you get an amazing view of Turkey, Kos town which I personally was a bit disappointed with and we have also went to Tigaki beach, which was beautiful however very windy (whereas Kefalos beach waters are calm and better for swimming).
If you want some fun and a good day out, Lido Waterpark is a must - we had a brilliant time there and the slides were quite cool.
Overall Kos is a really nice a peacefull island - if someone is looking for a great nightlife, Kefalos is NOT the place to go but it has got amazing views and one can really realx in that place. Again, many thanks to Janet and her family for her fantastic hospitality.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Polish_Girl_in_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Returned last week having had a wonderful 2 week holiday. Our third time and still holds the same charm - in the main by it's wonderful hosts. We look forward to our 4th trip.
Should add that we found everyone in the village friendly and helpful. We love George's Beach and in particular George (affectionately known as 'George Best') - you must try it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank rovic
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We had our first overseas family holiday here at the Pantheon in Aug '11. Having done our homework before our trip, I contacted Janet (the owner of the hotel along with her husband Pannos) by email. Considering just how busy she was at the time, she replied within hours and answered all of my questions and, without prompting, provided further info which was really useful to us which included whether we would like the air conditioning put on before our arrival.

We arrived late evening and were welcomed by 'big' Yannis. He showed us to our room and explained exactly what we needed to hear before we retired for the night. The room is basic - all rooms are of a standard size where the staff will put 1, 2 or 3 full size beds depending on the size of your party. Towels were changed and the rubbish bin was emptied every other day.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, could have prepared us for the view that we woke to! Our 7yr old daughter described the view from our balcony a 'real life postcard'. It's truly an outstanding view.

Breakfast is a family affair - as is every meal time. There is a real sense of family spirit at this hotel. If you're staying at the Pantheon on a half board basis, your breakfast table will be provided with 2 slices of toast per person. You can follow this with cereals and/or greek yoghurt (which is divine!). We occasionally asked for an additional slice of toast which was brought to the table without any problems. There is also an additional breakfast menu upto and including a full English Breakfast for an additional cost (there are notices on the walls itemising what's available). If you decide to have lunch there, they offer pizzas, burgers, omelettes, jacket spuds, salads etc - all cooked to order and reasonably priced too (the 3 of us ate really well for £10/£15 inc drinks). One thing that did tickle me was when I ordered a Greek salad - I'm really not a lover of olives and explained this when I ordered. Janet said that I wasn't alone about this (it seems that everyone leaves them on their plate!) and they now omit olives unless they're specifically asked for. Makes sense to me! Evening meals for half board were a choice of a traditional Greek dish (moussaka, pasticio - I'm not going to try and spell any others but there were a good 7/8 different dishes) or something to satisfy the usual 'brit abroad' or picky youngster ie baked spud, omlette, spag bol. Again, in addition to this, there was a menu to choose from. There was always something to choose from. You were always really well attended too either by Janet or Panos or the bar staff or by their lovely daughter Sevi who certainly never managed to drop any of our food! Infact, their overall behaviour was far outweighed that of some of the other guests!!

The shuttle bus down to Kefalos centre is well worth a try! Previous reviews already explain what it's all about. Also, get to the ruins early morning - beautiful :)

We spent several days at the pool which was superbly clean. Yes, some of the loungers' covers were a little tired but I've never met anyone who doesn't put a towel down on their lounger before lying on it so it's not exactly a major problem is it?!

Overall, I and my family would thoroughly recommend Pantheon Studios as an excellent base for Kos. I would recommend hiring some mode of transport to get you around the island if you want to go exploring but, having said that, although we didn't hire any we were able to sort 2 trips (Kos Town and Bodrum, Turkey). In fact, Turkey trip was such an early start that we were going to miss breakfast. So, when I asked Janet what I could buy to take for my daughter to eat in the morning she disappeared into the kitchen and came back with an enormous foil wrapped cheese roll for her! Believe me, it was really well received!

Thank you for some handy hints with SOME of the previous reviews. Others, well, maybe they need to really ask themselves what they want from their holiday destination - if you want 5 star with bell boys and room service etc you need to go to your travel agent and be specific rather than insult a hotelier who is so passionate about her business and welcomes you into her 'home'.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view. Get hold of Janet's email address - it's not diff...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank MagicMarvelo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

spent a horrible week at the pantheon hotel in july 2011 and I have lived to regret it, service was rubbish, dirty old pillows full of dust mites, sheets not changed at all in the whole week, if you arrive after midnight don't expect the air conditioning to be enabled until midday the next day so be prepared to spend a night of hell and be told by the owners son to leave the front door open for a breeze thus leaving you open to intruders, the fridge didn't work,the shower had either scoulding hot water or freezing cold water, they squeezed in a third bed in a double room making the room impossioble to move around in, the room was never cleaned or swept.
now let's go on to the food: breakfast was not even worth having, there wasn't much anyway and what there was was ridicullous,the worst quality you have ever seen and you had to wait for janet to bring you 2 pieces of toast and you daren't ask for more! dinner was a joke! only fit for toddlers, and even then it was rubbish, barbecue night consisted of a tiny skewer of cubed chicken under the grill! there wasn't a lit piece of charcoal anywhere to be seen! you had sausage egg and chips one night as a special greek dinner and jacket potato with cheese and beans another night! they got their 11 year old daughter working as waitress who used to drop all our food onto her clothes and then give it to us to consume and they used to drop half our food onto the floor before bringing it to us. we obviously complained about all of the above ( and more) and that was it, both janet and her husband panos were rude and couldn't care less, panos in particular was moody and nasty, unfriendly and defensive. one evening he was shaking with anger when he confronted me about the complaints, he started thumping the car I was sitting in with my son (waiting for my husband) so hard that I thought he dented it and raging at the top of his voice to stay away from him and his wife until we left or he'll throw us out onto the streets! he kept thumping the car just about missing my face, my son was petrified and so was I until my husband came to our rescue. needless to say we went to the police and have a police report and he was getting cautioned, we spent the rest of our holiday eating breakfast and dinner out thus spending extra money. this holiday was a nightmare and would discourage anyone from going there. I don't know why people are saying it is great, believe me it isn't.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank ANDROULLA X
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We arrived mid afternoon and received a lovely welcome from Janet who showed us our room. Janet will help with absolutely anything and the reviews on here are true - she really will do anything for you! The views from the top of the MASSIVE hill which the Pantheon is located on are to die for, they really are unique to the Pantheon.

The hill is a bit of a nightmare. Thank god for Panos and his green bus taking us down the hill and picking us up. It would be much better if there was a later bus, as coming back up at 9pm is a little early especially in Greece where everyone eats very late.

We were half board and were very impressed with the evening meals. They were lovely home cooked traditional Greek meals - although the portions were a little small, my boyfriend and I were often still hungry after all 3 courses! The breakfast was a bit disappointing. In my opinion, cold toast, cereal and orange cordial juice do not make a 'rich continental breakfast' as advertised. But having breakfast outside with the gorgeous views of the beach and the little Kefalos Island made up for this.

I would agree with the other reviews that the rooms are VERY basic. Could do with another bin for the kitchen. The bed sheets are paper thin and weren't changed in our week stay there. Towells were changed twice. There is no shower curtain in the bathroom which then of course led to the bathroom flooding everytime one of us had a shower! Dirty footprints then all over the room and with no room cleaning in a whole week...you can imagine it wasnt great.

Air conditioning is great value and is a must. Hotel bar prices are a lovely surprise and everyone is very friendly. The pool is a great size and a real sun trap. However, Janet definitely needs to invest in some more sun loungers. If you weren't up at 8am to reserve them you missed out and had to lie on the floor!

Kefalos itself is a bit of a Ghost Town. Although it is a nice walk along the front near the harbour, getting there takes 20 mins and you pass about 10 groups of people in that time. Very cheap resort so it's great for eating and drinking out. Paradise Beach is about a 30 min walk from the Pantheon and is one of the nicest beaches we have seen. Its very very popular and people from all over Kos come to Paradise. Much more going on there than there is at Kefalos beach.

Our stay here was very much a relaxing one, which was what we wanted and expected. I dont think we could have stayed for longer than a week. For the price we paid, it was good value. Lovely island, very pretty but very quiet. I would recommend the Pantheon for a budget stay and for a quiet holiday (as most people stay up there and do not venture into the main resort) but if you are looking for a more Greek holiday, this wouldnt be it.

Overall, it was a really great holiday but looking back at the hotel things could have been better!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ManchesterTravellerx
Reviewed August 24, 2011

To echo the comments of made we visited the Pantheon in August.
The greeting we received arriving very late at night was superb, Janet the owner couldn't do enough for you but unfortunately that just wasn't enough.
The rooms were good by Greek standard but not cleaned once in our two week stay. The floor wasn't swept or mopped, the beds not made, no bleach in the toilet. The sheets were changed once and towels every two days. We ended up buying bleach ourselves and cleaning.
The pantheon is up a very very steep hill, no pavement or street lights. The last bus is too early and we ended up getting a bus down at six and back at nine no way to spend a holiday. We are only 27 and 23, I'm very fit but the walk up the hill even at night left me sweating and half dead, we took a torch thankfully but it really is a death march.
The beach is ok but a sea of sunbeds and lined with 'Tavernas'. We have travelled literally all over Greece and although eating out and drinking was cheap we had some very poor meals indeed. I can recommend a Taverna called Kampos, the best meals we had and went back to again and again.
All in all the resort is geared towards tourists, yes I know we are all tourists but those who want real Greece will know what I mean.
We do alot of research on here before booking anywhere and the Pantheon had some terrific reviews, I would suggest having earwigged by the pool that these reviews will have been from many of the repeat visitors who go back year after year and don't know any better. This isn't a clear representation.
Fantastic views, Janet is lovely but it just wasn't enough.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank Elmashpotato
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I can only echo all the other positive comments about this hotel. The owners are the friendliest and most charming family you will ever meet and really make your stay pleasant.
Yes, it is basic but we had done our research prior to booking and this was exactly what we wanted and expected from a bargain holiday in Greece. This hotel is what it is and if you want a 4/5 star hotel with annoying reps/entertainment/noise/bars then you must go somewhere else. If you have limited mobility I would say this may not be the place to stay. We hired a scooter and explored the Island. Overall a fantastic 2 weeks at the Pantheon and if we could get another bargain holiday here...Yes we would return and would definately recommend it to others. Thanks to Janet and her family for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DollyDimpel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Hermes Hotel
Anthoula Hotel
Anthoula Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kefalos
Nissia Kamares Hotel Apartments

Been to Pantheon Apartments? Share your experiences!