“Oh my word......”
Review of Athinoula Hotel

Athinoula Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Reviewed August 9, 2010

What an amazing hotel to stay in. Ignore "happy Zak" who owns it, his face is just a charade - he is the most helpful person you could ask for but doesn't speak fantastic english so bear with him. Hotel rooms are basic but very clean and cleaned daily apart from Sunday. No tea and coffee making facilities which I missed but hey were in a different country after all.... I did find the bed very hard but my partner didn't have any trouble getting to sleep. My partner and I are also quite tall and I found the beds seemed smaller than at home. Plus he tends to hog the bed... Air con is extra and you also have to pay for security box but overall well worth the money.
Pool and poolside bar are lovely, plenty of sunloungers but get your towel out early - usual foreigners getting in first.
Zak's son and daughter help out in the hotel which is a godsend and the reason why I recommend this hotel so much, everyone in their right mind has to meet Mikhal, he is wonderful, funny and the best barman you could ever meet.
Hospitality is good all round even down to the cleaners. Location perfect too, all I ask is please Zak get Mikhal to run this hotel sooner rather than later and the hotel will get my 110% blessing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjbunni

Reviewed August 6, 2010

This was our first time at the athinoula hotel and we only ended up here due to a problem with our original accomodation .... talk about falling on your feet . The Athinoula is perfect Greek hospitalitily at it's very best . The whole Peros family made us feel really welcome, nothing is too much for them, anytime of the day or night . The rooms were spotless and cleaned daily. This is the first time I have been to Greece and had clean towels and linen every other day. Breakfast was lovely and more than plenty even for those with a big appetite and always served with a smile from Poppy. Would recommend food from the pool bar , Evi is a darling and works relentlessly to make sure you are happy !!!!! Kids made to feel very welcome and allowed to have as much fun as possible , it was great that the Greek kids joined them in the pool to play when they were not working hard . We went to the BBQ night which was fab, delicious food cooked by Manos and Yani another two members of the Peros family ( but be warned its a very large plate of food). Mixali was always on hand to serve the drinks and a real character with lots of stories and Greek history to keep you entertained. This review would not be completre without mentioning Jack senior , although a man of very few words he ensured that our holiday was as happy and relaxing as possible. We will definatley be going back to the Athinoula hotel and would tell anyone wanting a relaxing break in Greece to try this first. If you go to the harbour then try Santa Barbara and the Sydney bar they both served lovely food.
They say everything happens for a reason and I now thank God that I had a problem and ended up at the Athinoula as this is now one of our favourite holiday destinations.
Thanks to everyone at the Athinoula for a fab holiday , see you all very soon!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank J02010
Reviewed July 31, 2010

My husband, our teenage daughter and her friend stayed at the Athinoula Hotel in Kefalos for one week. We had an amazing time, I have read some mixed reviews and cannot work out why there are any negative reviews.
The rooms were spotless and cleaned daily, the towels were changed daily, if required, the pool was quite big for the size of hotel (about 40-50 rooms, I think) plenty of loungers and we were never cramped. The beach was less than 5 minutes walk away, we went to the beach a few times for a couple of hours but always ended up at the poolside.
The breakfast was great, a continental was included in the price, however you could ask for any combination of breakfast for an additional charge. The pool side bar was great value and had a lot of variety.
The family were all really nice and the kids did use the pool, I just don't see what the issue is with someone using the pool they own!
There was a barbeque once a week, was a good night and the family always made sure there was a good atmosphere. I would go back to this hotel again and would recommend it for all age groups.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2010

This was our third time in Kefalos and also our third time at the Athinoula. It still fails to disappoint. The family who own the hotel are incredibly helpful and make you feel welcome despite working 24/7. The rooms are fine and cleaned 6 days a week. Breakfast is served before 9.30 but we tend not to go down for it (Greece is two hours ahead and we usually have plenty of late nights so there's not much chance of us rising that early.) The pool is great and definitely not cold. The hotel has lots of repeat business and we continued to meet people all through our holiday who were coming back to the Athinoula for their 3rd, 4th, 5th time etc (if this doesn't tell you something about the hotel then i don't know what will.) The hotel guests are a mix of English, Scottish and Irish with some Dutch and Italians thrown in for good measure. There are two computers available also if you need catch up on things back home. The food is reasonably priced and very tasty - especially the Greek Salads and BBQ. The Athinoula is a family run hotel for families and couples. We will certainly be returning to Kefalos and the Athinoula again.
P.S Try the Kleftiko from Rainbow and the Stifado or Moussaka from Marias - absolutely divine!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alkneen
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Just back from holiday in Kefalos staying at the Athinoula. After reading a lot of reviews i was a bit concerned about what the hotel and kefalos were like.
All i can say now is the people who have written poor reviews need to really get a grip. The place is nice its clean its in a good area.The family that own it are really nice and friendly despite what some people have been saying. The father doesnt have good english and doesnt come across as friendly as the rest but i didnt see that as as big an issue as some people have made out. I read another review that the swimming pool was cold.what a ridiculous comment to make. The pool is fine.A bit cold for 2 seconds when you jump in but after u that its fine.Its not as cold as people are making out. The owners kids do play in the pool but certainly didnt annoy anyone or cos any trouble.If i owned the hotel i would let my kids play in the pool and im sure most people would. The rooms are kept very clean. Food is good in the otl. I read another review saying that they ordered breakfast and it took a while to come out.well i ordered breakfast a couple of times and never had to wait longer than 5 minutes at all.
These sad people with no lives that are writing the bad reviews are people who are booking a cheap holiday and expecting 5 star treatment. Kefalos itself was just as decribed. I wanted a quiet relaxing holiday and thats what it gave me.The prices were cheap 1.50 a pint in most places and could eat out for less than 10 euros each nite and that includes drinks. The great thing was there was no PR's no people trying to force you to go into there bar resteraunt socould walk own the strip and make my own choice as to were to drink/dine.The beach was fine.Maybe the sand wasnt as pure as some people would want and a bit stony but it was fine for me and there is another beach just up the road which is a lot better.Entertainment in Sydneys bar was good.Enjoyed the live music and Comedy Hypnotist and there are a few day trips that can be done as well.
Overall I had a great relaxing holiday which is exactly what i wanted
Would definetley go back to Kefalos without doubt
My advice to anyone is to ignore the petty things that people are writing in there bad reviews as there all written by the same type of person and lets be honest there goin to complain about anything.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2010

What a great place this is,we have just returned from a 2 week stay and this was our second time here,the Peros family are the perfect hosts,you just dont have problems here the service you receive from this loverly friendly Greek family is second to none,our room was very clean upon our arrival and the standard never once faltered,we had clean towels every day and the room was also cleaned every day apart from Sunday well we all need a day off and the sheets were changed twice a week ,all the rooms do have A/C and this charged at 5 euros a day and well worth it ,we didnt bother with the safety deposit box as we didnt consider it a risk to leave money in our room but if you are of the not trusting type then a box is 15 euros a week.
We did read some of the reviews left by other guests and all we can say to some of them is they must have stayed at a different hotel to where we stayed,in our honest opinion we could not fault this hotel or the family that live and run it and yes the children of the family who live and own this hotel do use the pool but we only saw them using the pool when no other guests were using it,also can anyone tell me of children whom dont make a noise when they are happily playing.
The resort of Kefalos is quiet and has a nice but a little stoney long beech with plenty of sun loungers and watersport centres if thats your thing, there is also a large selection of taverna's we can recommend a couple or two that we found great food and great company at,they are HARRY'S,SCORPIO'S,SEBASTIANS and MARIA'S it was always gone midnight when we finially left these great places but hey its your holiday and we are all different,but anyway if you are looking for a relaxing,chilled and lazy holiday then book a holiday here and enjoy yourself.
Kefalos village is 1-2 km up a very steep hill but well worth a visit the views are fantastic we hired a car as the walk looked to much for us oldies.
The only downside was the holiday company and the lack of reps i wont mane them but heres a hint TC.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bagseybaker
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Me and my partner stayed at the Athinoula Hotel last July for 2 weeks, after reading all the reviews i just went with an open mind expecting good and bad! but it was the best holiday we've had for a long time!
The family who run the hotel we're brilliant very friendly and nice people to chat to, all their children are lovely too very polite and funny, i did read one review about someone complaining about the children being noisey and messing around all the time which is a load of rubbish! yeah they played in the pool but ain't that what most kids do i would if my parents owned a hotel with a pool lol!
The hotel was always clean never seen any dirt or rubbish, yeah u will find a bit of sand but that's only where people have been to the beach and when we stayed there it was quite breezy most days but that was nice because as soon as the wind stopped it was boiling!!! the cleaners came round every day in the mornings, sometimes we wern't even up but if you ask them to come back later they will, fresh towels everyday (they used to make swans and boats out of them which i think was cool) changed the bins everyday and moped the floors, it is a typical greek hotel its not a 5* hotel so everything is basic in the rooms but who cares long as you've got a shower and a bed to sleep in that's all you need!
Kefalos is quite quiet and laid back which we love, every restaurant we went to was brilliant all the staff were very friendly and we never had a bad meal
Me and my partner are going back in July this year and can't wait!!

If your lookin for a chilled out relaxing holiday then this is the place to stay!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple