“Very Disappointing!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have just come back from a disappointing stay at the BLV. I traveled with my partner, niece and her partner.

We had a trouble free journey to the resort thanks to Thomson. We arrived at 4am ish. It was a quick and easy check in. The reception staff were friendly enough and we had a lift to the room on a golf buggy with our luggage.
The rooms are superb. Clean and modern with lots of space. At this point I was sure we would have a good holiday.

The first day of our holiday we went to the reception and booked ourselves into the restaurants they have on site. The first night we went to the Aegean and the food was nice. The second night we ate at The First Date restaurant which was lovely food just not so friendly service. The third night we ate at the Chinese, this was the best night of the holiday. The food was fab and for the first time we were made to feel welcome by the staff. Special mention to Angel the waiter for that night!! From then it went down hill!! We went to the Italian on the fourth night and that is when I encountered the worst welcome ever! The front of house manager actually starred at us and then said " Well .... can I have your name? Room number?" He actually looked like he was chewing a wasp while saying it!!

To cut a long story short. The rest of the holiday went down hill! Flies everywhere on the food which turned my stomach so much I could hardly eat. I have never lost weight on an all inclusive holiday before! Most of the hotel closed down so we did not have access to most of the facilities for the 2nd half of the week. The staff were unwelcoming and it seemed like they could not wait to close the hotel down for the end of season.

The final day we had to be out of our room by midday then hang around until 01:50 to be picked up by the coach to go to the airport. The whole day the majority of staff were not concentrating on the guests but on a wedding they had booked in to the hotel. They packed up all day and managed to close even more of the hotel down. It went from a 6 restaurant hotel to being forced to eat in one area which had cold food and full of flies!

If it wasn't for the people I was with, the lovely barman George (who tended the bar by the entertainment stage), the Thomson staff and the Entertainment Team (who admitted to being short staffed on more than on occasion as everyone went home!) the holiday would've been a sham! So thank you to them.

I wouldn't go back to the hotel again!

Room Tip: Make sure your rooms are not by the cleaners store rooms! The cleaners are up very early waiting to...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sarah C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have just returned from a 7 day stay with my husband and five boys (15,12,11,7 & 3) at the BLV and am already looking at prices to return next year! The hotel exceeded all our expectations! On arrival after a trouble free flight we were advised we had been upgraded from 2 twin rooms to 2 family rooms free of charge. We presumed that as this was the last week before closing that it probably made sense to have all guests located together, but we certainly didn't complain, the rooms were fab! Two seperate bedrooms, amazing bathroom, plenty of wardrobe space and an amazing balcony overlooking the pool and with a side sea view. I can be quite fussy and usually take 24 hours to settle but here it was instant. As it's new everything is spotless and even though it was the end of the season it could have been the first day. Everything is immaculate and the rooms are kept clean on a daily basis to a high standard.

Without going on too long this place has so many good points; although there are many steps I think it has been well thought out. The beach has received some bad reviews but to be honest I was more than happy. We spent the majority of our time on the beach as the sea was actually warmer than the pool, and also it could be very windy poolside, whereas the beach seemed sheltered from it. It was so relaxing to be able to lie on a sunbed that hadn't been fought for, with the option of shade under a parasol and watch the kids play happliy in the sand, I always find I'm a bit nervy round the pool as my 3 year old has a tendancy to run around and I worry about him falling in, so the beach was perfect on all counts for us. My Hubby and boys also sampled the jet skis and the parasailing which they enjoyed too. The waterpark was also a great addition to the hotel, and actually only a few minutes walk up the beach, the boys had great fun on the slides!!

Another positive for us was the standard of the food. I'm a veggie so the constant supply of fresh salads and varying types of pasta was welcomed by myself. We never struggled to find plenty to eat and there are a couple of fussy eaters in my gang! We never tried the restaurants that need to be booked as we were advised that as it was the last week before closing for the season that they were only open every other evening, but to be honest we didn't mind as The Aegean was good enough for us. Plenty of choice, great waiters who were extremely friendly and remembered our drinks order night after night! They were great with the kids too, something you don't always get in restaurants at home!

Another hit with the kids was The Gelateria, a cafe dedicated to waffles, pancakes, cake and icecream, open from 10-6. If ever the elder boys disapeared we knew where to find them! Fab idea, along with the Beach and Snack bar, this was open from 12 and you could have toasties, hotdogs and pancakes here with a full bar. My kids were in heaven! Lunch could be taken in The Grillhouse which served similar meals to the evening selection or The Piazza which served pizza, pasta and salads, this was my favourite! And it was lovely to sit out and eat our meal and see the view of the sea due to this restaurant being on the first floor.

I suppose the only negative for us was the evening entertainment. This wasn't due to the staff but the weather which we accepted at this time of the year. I'd imagine on a lovely warm evening in July or August it would be lovely to sit out and take part in the entertainment provided, but we found it far to cold to be able to do so. Although saying that we did enjoy spending our nights in the Shake and Mix bar. My in-laws joined us on our holiday so we spent most nights in there with the kids playing cards! There was always live singing, and lovely waiter service so we didn't even need to go up to the bar. There was also a room off the bar that had computers for the kids to go on the internet. This was chargeable, 2 euros for 1/2 hour. I think my only gripe would be that there isn't really a lot to do for the older kids on the night time. I know previous hotels we've stayed in have had pool tables or table tennis. I did put this on the questionnaire that was slipped under our door, so hopefully this may be taken into account. This is the first year for the BLV so you expect teething problems and from reading previous reviews it seems the management are keen to take the comments on board.

So, as I said this place is amazing. If you want to go abroad for a relaxing time in the sun, in a hotel that could easily top some of the top city centre hotels in this country then this is the place for you. The staff are friendly, food is plentyful and good quality and you can see from looking around that no expense has been spared. Would I go back again, in a hearbeat!!

Room Tip: Email in advance if you have two rooms, I did this a fortnight before and our rooms were next to eac...
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Just come back from a super 7 day family stay at Blue Lagoon Village. We have two girls (9) and (5). Positives: Massive bedrooms with large t.v.s, large modern bathroom, dressing area with loads of wardrobes, very comfy full memory foam mattresses on all beds! all kept exceptionally clean even down to the maid making animals out of towels on our beds every morning which our girls loved! Hotel and grounds beautiful and very clean. Kids club was great, they kept the kids very entertained. Thomson reps were excellent, kept us informed about everything. The hotel staff were very friendly and attentive. Dining areas were clean, tables cleared very quickly. Spacious sun terraces, never had to fight for a bed. The management state they will remove any towels left although we did see a few reserved which was a complete waste of time as there were hundreds of free beds free around the pool! The management are always on patrol around the complex and are more than happy to speak to customers with any queries and we have found they are more than happy to give feedback via email on any queries we had prior to our arrival.
Negatives: All the pools were freezing, don't know what they were like in the summer months, but when we were there in October, far too cold for our girls to go in, which for a hotel that is pool based was disappointing at least one should of been warm!. The only restaurant we used was the aegan so can only comment on that one, although the food was beautifully presented, we felt there wasn't enough choice. We didn't have a carvery or themed meal and for the whole of our stay we were only offered bacon one morning for breakfast when hot dog style sausages/frankfurters was offered every morning! We found that the toilets around the main activity pool were not serviced enough and the gents didn't have hand towels for 3 days. We feel felt pads should be used underneath the furniture in the rooms because when people come back to their room on an evening and start dragging furniture across the tiled floors in the room above you it can be an annoyance at 11.30pm and later (why people do this)! Although the hotel has its own beach, we were a little disappointed in the quality of the beach as it was quite stony with what looked like a bit of left-over building materials from the hotel we think it just needed to be raked a few times.

Taking everything into account though we had a great holiday and we are sure once these minor issues are resolved it will be an all round top class holiday village !!

NOTTINGHAM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed for one week from 31/0811. I have 2 kids aged 9 & 7 & wanted a luxury hotel with lots of kids facilities & entertainment for the family. As a travel agent I am quiet picky & always have high expectations of the hotel we go to. I had read lots of great reviews & the resort looked amazing so we were very exited for this holiday.
I emailed the hotel to advise we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary whilst there. When we were allocated our room it was a lovely suprise that we had been upgraded to a huge double family room. There are two big bedrooms with plasma tvs, a big bathroom with bath & wet room,all contempory & lovely decor.
The food in the main aegean resteraunt was o.k but we really enjoyed the a la cartes. The adventure barbecue is great fun. You have your own barbecue & help yourself to various meats & the big salad bar. The golden sun chinese was yummy. we ordered a dish each,but the portions are huge so don't need to order so many as get starters & soup too. Italian was o.k,not so authentic but a really beautifull setting.
In the day help yourself to waffles,crepes & ice cream.At lunch the grill serves the best pitta gyros.
We visited adventure land a couple of times.Good fun but my 7 year old wasnt tall enough which was a dissapointment.
Entertainment day & evening very good. one hour Thomson tea time live each night followed by show.Michael Jackson & Greek night were good. Party on beach one night.All drinks are waiter service which was a nice touch.Staff are very friendly.
It is a beautifull resort & ticks all the boxes. Onlt thing missing is a games room for kids.
Would deffinetely return to this hotel,loved it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank napa4
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Got back from two wonderful weeks at BLV, and although not perfect, yet, I will emphasise ‘yet’ and by next season I’m positive it will be.

We were lucky enough to catch up with the elusive Denis, The Blue Lagoon Group’s Business Development Manager, who has, from time to time, answered a lot of queries on this page, and we passed a very pleasant 40 mins or so chatting about the resort and our holiday experience so far.

Where to start! Well, we didn’t travel with Thompson’s, for many reasons and not just price – flight times, airport locations etc., (we live in Fife in Scotland) decided to book directly with the hotel and book independent flights. This, in the end, as we decided to upgrade to a executive suite nearer the time, actually did work out cheaper for us in the end, and we would certainly consider doing it this way again, and will obviously be checking prices on offer for next year, directly from the hotel and airline and from Thompson’s.

On arrival at Kos airport we were met by a taxi driver holding up a BLV sign and, as well as assisting us with our luggage, drove us to the resort in about 15 minutes. It really is a breath-taking drive to the hotel, down a pretty steep road, which winds around the mountain, the view is spectacular, and you really get a sense of how big and impressive the resort it. We organised a taxi to take us back to the airport at the end of our holiday, and was charged 25 Euros!! Obviously the complementary transfer/s was just one way!!

We were checked in immediately, with the staff already knowing our names and were whisked to our room in a buggy within minutes. I would also like to say that each time we had to go to Reception/Guest Services for whatever reason, the staff knew our names, a very nice touch!

On arrival at our room, we were greeted with two fruit baskets (one in our daughter’s room and one in ours) a plate of delicious Greek pastries in honey, a bottle of red wine and also a bottle of champagne on ice. Ten minutes later there was a knock on the door, and upon answering, was greeted with a delicious chocolate birthday cake and a large bunch of flowers (well it was my birthday!) What a fabulous start to the holiday and it made me feel really special. Quickly unpacking and freshening up we then headed off to dinner and the start of our holiday….

One of our worries, when booking our holiday directly, was the Kids Club facility. I did ask some questions on FB before we went on how the hotel run club was in comparison with the Thompson one, and also asked the question if we could pay and put our daughter into the Thompson one if she didn’t like the hotel one. On the first morning we went ‘Kids Club hunting’ it was the Thompson one we came across first, our daughter got quite exited when she saw it and, of course, not wanting to disappoint her, went in. As it turned out, Thompson charges 2 Euros per hour if your child isn’t booked through them, which is fantastic value. Apart from Wednesday’s when it’s closed, they have a session in the morning from 10.30 to 12.30, and again in the afternoon from 1pm to 3pm and there was always a party in the evening from 7.30 to either 9.30 or 10.30 (depending on the theme of the party.)
Our daughter loved it there, and we have returned to the UK with lost of ‘works of art’ and no less than six ‘Winner’s Certificates’ As the hotel wasn’t to full capacity, there were a couple of sessions she had three Thompson’s reps to herself – talk about spoiled! Anyway, all the Thompson’s staff we encountered was hard working, full of energy and great with our daughter, she already misses her favourite ‘Candy Katie.’

We did see the reps from the hotel run kids club, and the children in that club running about with their faces painted with similar ‘works of art’ so I assume they did similar things there, and although it would have been free to put our daughter in to that one, I do think that the language barrier may have been a bit of an issue, so the few Euros a time it cost us to put her into the Thompson one was well worth it. This may be a problem in the height of the season though, as I’m sure that people travelling with Thompsons would have priority if the club were full.

For all that the Thompson team were fantastic at entertaining the children at the kids club, they were almost equally as bad at entertaining the adults in the evenings. I have to admit the evening entertainment was dire! I totally get the fact that they have to give out all the certificates to people who have won them at various times throughout the day at various events, but this could certainly be done quicker and earlier in the night, or indeed as and when the actual event finishes. Also - Bingo – please!! This is something that people play when they go to Blackpool on holiday, not at a five star resort, sorry, maybe it’s just personal taste, and I did see some people enjoying it, however, not for us I’m afraid! Also, some of the quizzes and competitions that they did on stage, was just tacky, and again not what you expect from a five star resort. The reps entertainment wasn’t the worst of it either, they had some local dancers and a Michael Jackson impersonator one night, which has just got to be the funniest thing ever – he (MJ) of course was miming to the records, however, he didn’t know any of the words, which was unbelievable, to say the least!

This all said, I would like to point out that the actual stage, lighting etc. and the setting of the evening entertainment was fantastic, no expense has been spared constructing this and even the bar/waiter service there was good. The only downside is that it is outside, as it can get a bit cooler in the evenings. We had a two-day storm whilst there and of course nothing could be done on this stage and the ‘entertainment’ had to be moved indoors (a brightly lit hall with plastic chairs – need I say more!) This all being said, I would like to point out that THIS WILL ALL CHANGE NEXT YEAR. The hotel know this is a huge problem, however, their hands were a bit tied this year with contracts etc., however, I am pleased to report, (as we heard it directly from the horse’s mouth) that next season they will have professional entertainment booked, more in-keeping with a resort claiming to be five star. They certainly have the stage and the setting there, with the right entertainment it could be amazing. Anyway, enough said on that!

I suppose I should get all the gripes out of the way at once now – right – Wi-Fi – nightmare. We purchased 24 hrs. of Wi-Fi, for what was, I think, 20 Euros. The only place it works is Reception and the Italian! Although every room has an Ethernet cable for computers, we have an iPad, which this is obviously unsuitable for, so the 24 hours of usage we purchased was a total waste of money, as we used about a half hour of it! Luckily, as were were in a suite, we did have access to the elusive ‘Executive Lounge’ which had three (only three!) computers in it. This lounge, as people have said before me, it totally empty 99% of the time. The inside space is quite large and airy, however, the chairs and sofas are very hard and uncomfortable and certainly not made for lounging. However, this space has a beautiful outside terrace area with amazing comfy chairs, which we did utilize on a regular basis. It has a self-service bar and snack area, with juice, water, wine and tea and coffee, as well as hot and cold snacks. However, upon saying all this, I, once again, have insider information, that it will be turned into a ‘Sports Bar’ with big TV’s etc. for next season. The Executive Lounge will be moved elsewhere. Obviously this has been something that has been mentioned and discussed on here regularly, and it’s very reassuring that the hotel has listened and has now taken this information on-board.

This will be a welcome addition to the bars they already have, as the inside area of the downstairs ‘main’ bar, is a bit ‘internet café-ish’ Again, the outside area has lovely comfy couches etc., and in a lovely setting, however, the inside area is terrible, and not a relaxing place to be.

As I am on the subject of bars and drinks, the wine is very drinkable (considering) and the cocktails delicious. However, on the drinks menu, it would help if they listed what’s actually in the cocktails. The also serve champagne at breakfast at the weekends, which is a lovely touch. We also found the service very good and never had to wait long to be served anywhere. Obviously we found giving a tip to these very hardworking staff regularly also ensured very attentive service.

We found the food, as a whole, to be excellent. Breakfast in the main restaurant had everything you could possibly want and more, apart from proper British sausages! Lunch was either at the poolside grill or the Italian – we preferred the Italian for lunch, always plenty of choice, good service (apart from one young, dark haired chap who was rotten and never smiled!) We also went to the pool grill a couple of times too, as our daughter spotted the chicken nuggets! There was a great choice of restraunts for dinner and we tried every one (apart from the Thalasso which was closed when we wanted to go.) Food in the Italian, as said previously on this site, is not nearly as good as at lunchtime. The Chinese is excellent, OK not as authentic as at home, however, very good, and the First Date was lovely, with exceptional food and service. The main buffet restaurant had three stations of food to choose from, and I would defy anyone not to find something they like there. There is also an ‘Adults Only’ section, which is a great idea, if only it was properly enforced. This also applies to the First Date restaurant, on the night we were there, there was a German couple in with a baby!

We did find the booking of these restaurant’s to be a pain; you had to go all the way to Reception and Q up for the Guest Services chap, only sometimes to be told that they were full. This service, I believe, may be improved next season with technology (thankfully) as there has got to be a better way!

There is also a beach bar which serves toasties and savoury pancakes, this could be expanded to include at least pizzas and chips, as this is where you would go if you were spending the day on the beach and just coming up for a snack to take back to your lounger.

The beach is OK, sand not that great and it is quite rocky to get into the water, however, they have laid sandbags at various intervals to get you over the rocks. I believe that the quality if the beach depends on the winter weather! It does have plenty of loungers as well as wooden cabanas which are great if you can reserve one early enough. The water sports guys are great, very knowledgeable and professional and offer everything you would want in this department. We did the paragliding, jet skis, the speedboat trip and pedalos, all great fun, and I must say that the Jet Ski’s are top of the range (Wave runner) new, fast, with a timer on them so you know when your time is up. And also a speedometer so you know how fast you are going! The sea was very warm and clear with lots of fish to see. I would like to point out that coming from the beach with sandy feet etc. there are lovely warm showers at various intervals around the pools, with jets at the top, middle and feet only sections, however, the amount of people who walked up from the beach covered in sand, and we saw dipping their feet and flip flops in the pool on the way past was unbelievable!

Only downside with sunbathing full stop, is the sunbeds, they are c***! The person who placed the order for these obviously did not lie on them. When you lie down the arms of the bed are too high, when you sit up your bum disappears down the hole – nightmare!

This bring us to the sunbeds on our terrace (3501) amazing, when the two of them were pushed together it was the size of a double bed, they are very strong wooden ones with thick mattresses – heaven! Our suite even had it’s own small pool, which although three strokes and you were across at the other side, it was really nice just to cool down and was very well used by all three of us. The terrace also had a big table and chairs and also some other chairs and a sofa – very comfy. Although we had a mini bar in our room, which was stocked every day with water, as well as cans of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta etc. this service could also be improved by also stocking it with wine and beer – it is a suite after all and there is no room service offered!

The suite itself was lovely, wooden floors, etc., we did have a choice of some others which were larger and better laid out internally, but we choose this one for it’s outside space, it was one of the few that wasn’t overlooked, and because it had an amazing view. We thought we would be spending more time outside than inside. It did have a lovely bathroom, with a separate shower and toilet cubicle and double sinks as well as a separate bath. We also had a dressing area and plentiful wardrobe, cupboard and drawer space; however, the bedroom was huge but did feel a bit ‘empty’.

The suites are block 3000, which is very central, and as someone has stated earlier, although the resort is big, it doesn’t take more than about five minutes to walk anywhere, even to Adventureland, if you take the beach walkway.

I realise that this review has gone on a bit now, however, to sum up BLV, it’s a beautiful, clean resort, rooms are lovely, service and staff are great, food and drinks fab, the pools are huge and stunning, the Thompson reps are wonderful, and considering that we paid in excess 60 Euros for a lunch in Kos Town, which was awful, then, for what we paid at BLV, was excellent value for money. If they sort out the Wi-Fi and the entertainment then we will be back. We know that the worlds a big place, however, resorts of this standard, with these facilities, which suited all my family’s needs, are few and far between.

Room Tip: All the swim up rooms get the sun all day, we had a suite and the sun left our terrace at 4pm!
4 Thank Juliet1
york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is a great hotel for those content to stay in the complex or perhaps prepared to hire transport. Conversely it's isolated location at the bottom of a steep access road makes it less than ideal if walking or local transport outings are to be an integral part of the holiday. Whilst Kefalos is the postal address it's far too far for most people to walk and any attempt to beach walk in that direction very soon leads to a nudist beach.
That said the hotel is excellent. Friendly helpful staff, exceptional quality/varied food and plenty of pools/space to suit all moods.

Room Tip: Check out a plan of the hotel , we were central but didn't suffer from any noise disturbance, an...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I have just returned from our family holiday at the blue lagoon village and despite a 12 hour delay flying out and some bad weather we all had a lovely holiday. We arrived at the hotel about 4am after a very long delay and check in was very quick and the buggys took everyone to their rooms as quick as they could. We missed out on our first night but water and sandwiches were provided in our room. The minute we arrived we were taken aback by the resort and our room. The hotel looked lovely all lit up and rooms were very clean and modern. I travelled with my husband, 2 year old daughter, my parents and inlaws and we all had swim up rooms pretty much next to each other. I would definitely recommend the swim up rooms especially if you have young children who need an afternoon nap which then gives you the chance to swim/sunbathe round your own pool. The only downside about all the pools at the hotel was the temperature of the water. We all felt it was very cold.

The food was great. Chinese was lovely but we felt it didn't cater well for young children/fussy eaters. Buffet was great and a huge variety for every taste, although on occasions it was slow clearing the tables of empty plates. All waiter staff were great and very friendly and glasses were never left empty. The staff where great with my daughter.

Some of the bar staff, not all, were sometimes very rude, however, the waiter staff in the hotel, the cocktail bar especially, were lovely and very friendly.

Our room was cleaned daily by a very friendly lady, however the down side was there was nothing (water etc) provided in the mini fridge on a daily basis.

The waterpark is great and a big bonus for kids (us adults loved the slides too). We got a buggy there and walked back along the beach which didn't take very long at all, even with a pushchair. The beach is lovely and my husband and dad enjoyed the jet ski! My daughter loved the toddler play area/indoor soft play and also Thomson the dog (but he didn't seem to be around as much as we would have liked).

The negative part of our holiday was the entertainment when the weather was poor. We had thunderstorms for 3 days and all evening entertainment was cancelled. We were quite dissapointed that there was no other alternative room/area where the planned entertainment could be. The childrens entertainment was in the conference room, and it felt like we were in a community hall. After 3 nights in the cocktail bar with the same singer (who was very good) we all got quite bored and it was difficult to entertain a 2 year old. The hotel needs to have a suitable room for when the weather is poor. Also, most bars seemed to close when the weather was poor, which meant we had a long (wet) walk to the cocktail bar from our rooms for drinks. As nothing is in the mini fridge, it was either get wet or not have anything to drink!

Overall, we would definitely go back to the Blue Lagoon Village. If these small improvements were made then this would definitely be a 5 star resort! We were all a bit worried with it being brand new but are glad we took the risk and booked. Would love to return with better weather!!

• Stayed October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!