Hotel Murtenhof & Krone
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Murten(Murten)
$153
  • Beachfront
Schloss Muenchenwiler(Munchenwiler)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsyogurthotel restaurantview of the lakeold townbreadcrepeswalled townsmall balconysuperior roomexcellent accommodationsurrounding area isbeautiful citygreat spotspent a weekasked howeating breakfastbreakfast was included
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

When I went into the room I thought "oh, no, it's one of those old hotels that's living off if its long heritage (yikes)." The decor not tasteful (sorry but true), bed mattress not those nice firm ones we see these days in chain hotels, the chests seem old, etc.
However, the staff are super friendly, the view of the lake is magnificent(!!!), the bathroom and the toilets were completely renovated and shiny, they give you wifi access for as many devices as you want, the breakfast overlooking the lake is gorgeous... And at the end of the day I said to myself I'd be more than happy to come here again. The warm welcome is everywhere and that transcends.
As I checked out the lady asked how my stay was and I told her that the shower floor was a bit slippery and she told me that we could ask for those rubber mattress, for the next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Tom_B_Paris
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, next to Murten Castle. Rooms are nice and very clean. Great service. On the expensive side (160 CHF one night X 2 adults). Pet friendly (we came with our 2 dogs at no extra charge). Their restaurant is very good with a view of the lake

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TainoTrails
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. We had a view of the castle and street which looks like a postcard. The room was small and the bathroom was tiny. However, we had a comfortable bed, 2 chairs and a table that was fine for the limited time we spent in the room. The breakfast was fabulous. Breads, eggs, meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, while sitting on their sun porch overlooking a lake. We had a 5 minute walk to the train station. The walled town had some very nice stores and excellent restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have stayed in the Murtenhof & Krone a number of times and have had similar experiences both times. The rooms I have had are small, the bathrooms are tiny but everything is clean and it is reasonably welcoming. Take note that it is actually comprised of two hotels - the Murtenhof and the Krone. I don't know if there was a consolidation of the two at one point or whether it has always been like this. The Murtenhof side is definitely better than the Krone side. The one thing I cannot deal with is the noise - people passing underneath your window being very loud into the wee hours of the morning and then the church bell that is about 200 yards away and goes nuts at 06:00 and then chimes every 15 minutes. Living in the countryside in England and being used to quiet dark nights, this level of noise makes a good night sleep impossible. The pillows leave alot to be desired as well. I am going to have to try another hotel in the town to see if an improvement is possible with the limited selection on offer. Unusually as well, this hotel has no bar to meet up with colleagues after work.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room at the back of the hotel. The front of the hotel is very noisy although there is probably nothing you can do to avoid the church bells from 06:00 onwards.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Murray_D47
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at this hotel. Our room was comfortable and well appointed. The main disadvantage was that our room faced the street as opposed to the lake side. The hotel's staff were welcoming and helpful. We dined in the restaurant and had great views of the lake. We had a set course menu, which provided good choices on both nights. The buffet breakfast was very good and served in a separate room with a balcony that overlooked the lake. As the hotel was in the town's centre, it was easy to explore Murten on foot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple