All reviews chef paola mediterranean cooking the kitchen the entire staff hot tub cooking class bucket list cooking experience at home cooking course olive oil great teacher whole experience wonderful experience pasta learned how wonderful week
Reviewed May 28, 2015

In a few hours Chef Paolo changed all I ever thought I knew about Tuscan cooking - and what a wonderfully energising and inspirational week we had...
Casa Ombuto and its surrounds are more beautiful than any camera can capture - calm, peaceful surroundings and the absolutely professional staff (not to mention the heavenly heated pool with an uninterrupted view across a Tuscan Valley...) - and then Chef Paolo arrives and its all stations GO - chopping, kneading, frying - we tackled dishes and techniques we'd only ever seen on Masterchef and time flies when you're having fun. We cooked until we dropped - then we ate until we could not handle another bite - and each day we came back eager for more.
At the end of the week we left - so sad to leave our new friends - but we've made memories of a lifetime - and learnt what's at the soul of Tuscan cooking...

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rain M
Reviewed May 27, 2015

I went to Casa Ombuto the week of May 2 to May 9. When I first pulled up to the Villa I was awe struck. The pictures didn't do the place justice. It is beautiful and serene. The grounds and the villa are breathtaking. I was greeted by Sheenah and she gave me a tour of the grounds and showed me to my room. I got settled and then went to the cantina to meet the rest of the guest sharing this wonderful experience. The first night the chef Paola cooked our dinner, everything was spectacular. She is passionate, creative chef and It shows in her dishes. You can feel the love through the food. The cooking lessons were very informative and completely hands-on.

The week at Casa Ombuto was the best vacation ever. It exceeded my expectations and I am so happy that I got the chance to experience it. I want to thank Paola, Sheenah and Lars for making me feel at home and I truly thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 26, 2015

I loved the remote place from the first minute. Not too difficult to find with a help of their instructions. Old restord house is so cute, the room was just the one I would like have at home, and I had a perfect sleep. Unfortunately I stayed just one night so I didnt try the pool and really invating hot tube in an old wine cask.But the crown of a visit is food and cooking course. We were just 6, so we had plenty of space. For the beginning we had lunch togeather - pasta, chicken, salad, and good Toscan wine. Then we started our course with Paola. She knows so much about Toscan food, cooking and how to have fun while cooking! That is also important, otherwise you get tired of it. But with joking and smilling Paola everything was like a poem. I learned a lot and finaly got a first hand experience how to prepare the best pizza in the world. After cooking we had a fabulous dinner, with best known regional wines, great dessert and for the end table full of Toscan and other best known liquors and strong alcoholic drinks... Just too much for one night and we had to leave in the morning. The breakfast in a good company was also great, with just right selections of Toscan salami, cheese, olives, ...I hope to return some day!

Room tip: all are perfect
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2015

My friend and I completed the Mediterranean cooking course with Chef Laura in May 2015. It was a luxurious experience of cooking, making new friends, relaxing and seeing local sights. I've done several cooking vacations and this one is the best. Laura is patient, professional and delightful catering to all levels of cooks. If you only do one such course, this is the one to choose.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2015

Casa Ombuto is a dream come true. It is a wonderfully restored villa in a gorgeous setting. You have to pinch yourself sometimes to make sure its all real. Paola is a fantastic teacher and had us constantly entertained and laughing. Not only did I learn a lot about cooking Italian cuisine but it truly was the most fun I have had in a very long time. There were all levels of ability in the class and Paola handled that well and made everyone feel great about their accomplishments. The surrounding area was gorgeous with many castles and small medieval hill towns. Florence is just an hour and a half or two away and is quite doable on your day off. This is my second time with Tuscookany and I highly recommend it!

• Trip type: Traveled with family