All reviews chef paola mediterranean cooking the kitchen the entire staff hot tub cooking class bucket list cooking experience at home cooking course olive oil great teacher whole experience wonderful experience pasta learned how wonderful week
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I attended the One Week Mediterranean course taught by Chef Laura Giusti. She was not only a fantastic teacher and chef, but a truly beautiful person. The villa was a dream! The surroundings are breathtakingly gorgeous. The grounds keeper and maid do a phenomenal job taking care to make the place a sight to behold from every turn! The friends that I made, the wonderful food and attention to detail from the entire staff made this the best time of my life! Thank you Laura, Sheenah, Marta, Monica, Alex and Pippa for making my experience one to treasure!! I will be back!!!
Tiffany

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2014

The Mediterranean Cooking School at Casa Ombuto was an excellent vacation. Under the caring instruction of a Chef Laura Giusti eleven pupils honed their cooking schools while becoming friends. The staff was superb. The school is housed in a villa located mountainside in rural Tuscany. The vistas are beautiful.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Words can't describe the beauty of Casa Ombuto (& Tuscany as a whole) & the fun time had by all with Chef Paola, Sheena & the rest of the Tuscookany staff. The website pics don't it do it justice. The property is magnificent - overlooking the Appenine mountains among various nut & fruit trees, grape vines, veggie & herb gardens, a beautiful pool with hammocks to laze in during "down time." If you enjoy cooking, baking & eating 5-star restaurant quality food, this is the place for you! Chef Paola is a wonderful teacher & so passionate about cooking with fresh, local ingredients. She gave each student the attention they needed (based on skill level) & after a few hours in the kitchen, I almost felt like a pro! I cherish the time spent along side my fellow students & chef in this beautiful location. I highly recommend Casa Ombuto & will definitely go back some day.

1  Thank Phylmor
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was the best time of my life! I loved cooking food and meeting the incredible people that were there. It was such a great time. Their main chef Paola is an amazing woman and a great teacher. Each day is different and exciting (keep in mind this is coming from a 15 year old boy). It's fun for all ages and all kinds of people.

Room tip: All of the rooms were great! There's a fun rec room upstairs in the main guest building.
Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My friend and I recently spent a week at the Tuscookany Cooking School, Casa Ombuto location. I have nothing but rave reviews! The setting for Casa Ombuto is stunning, in the mountains a couple of hours east of Florence. The accommodations are lovely and comfortable, with guests staying in a picturesque stone villa with lots of terraces and porches to while away leisure hours. There is also an inviting infinity pool with lounge chairs and hammocks around. The kitchen and dining room are in a separate stone villa that houses an expansive work space and dining area for all the goodies we prepared. Our chef, Paola Baccetti, couldn’t have been more amazing. She was funny, friendly, knowledgeable and kind. She made the cooking experience entirely absorbing and fun, with delicious outcomes each evening. Our group had various levels of experience with cooking and that was fine – I think everyone took away some knowledge or inspiration regardless of level. Alex, who took care of all the logistics, made everything run extremely smoothly. There were so many extra touches – beautifully set tables, responsiveness to the needs and requests of the guests, gracious surroundings - all of which made for an extraordinary experience.

Two observations for those planning a stay: if you are following the weather in Florence as a guide to what to bring, be advised that it is at least 5-10 degrees F. cooler in the mountains. We were there at the end of May and it was quite cool. On the other hand, I could imagine that the casa would be an excellent sanctuary away from tourist crowds and heat even in the height of summer. Also, their literature advises renting a car. I would recommend taking this advice seriously. We did not and in retrospect having a car would have allowed us to visit more of the beautiful countryside and towns of Tuscany. It is truly difficult to get around without a car. The casa is remote enough that finding a taxi is virtually impossible.

In all, I heartily recommend this experience for anyone who loves to cook or eat or stay in spectacular surroundings!

Date of stay: May 2014