“I'd would give 6 stars if I could.....A marvelous week”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poppi
Casa Ombuto - Cooking Schools in Tuscany
Ranked #1 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Poppi
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alameda, California
“I'd would give 6 stars if I could.....A marvelous week”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

One of the best weeks I have ever spent. The staff was amazing - there was not one need that was not met. Our Chef, Laura, is the best....she made our week so special. Shanya, the hostess, could not have been more accommodating. Marta, Monica, Donatella and Livia made it easy for us to cook and enjoy ourselves. And a HUGE thank you goes to my fellow guests this week - friendships made, and knowing us, we will cross paths again and again.

If you have an interest in cooking and want a great time, I recommend Tuscookany. You will learn more than you think (and I am someone who likes to cook). Our course was Mediterranean - we cooked Italian, French, Spanish and Moroccan. A wonderful mix....personally, Moroccan was my favorite (as I like spicy dishes). Italian was not far behind - my favorite dish - a wonderful warmed seasoned goat cheese on toasted crisps with salad.

Looking forward to going again in a few years.

You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bchalonergill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is the kind of experience that you see in movies where a group of strangers meets, spends a week together and goes on to have lifelong friendships. At the end of the week, everyone was sad to leave, and it was especially heartbreaking to leave our chef, Laura Giusti. The cooking classes are wonderful, but it's the overall experience that makes this place so special.

It is hard to imagine from the agenda how all of this works, but your days are full without being rushed. Meals are served by the staff, but cooked by the students. Each meal, you sit down to a beautifully set table that enhances the experience. At each meal, you also try two new specialty wines. You have just enough time off from cooking to relax, have a massage, read a book, walk in the woods, etc. There was one day for a group outing and one day for private outings. However, as the week progresses, our group seemed to never leave the kitchen as there was always something else to learn during our down time.

The rooms are rustic and charming, meant to reflect the surrounding area. This not a hotel, but a guest house. Our room had two single beds pushed together, not a king sized mattress. The bathrooms are large, and some have showers and baths while others have only showers. There was no cable since there was no TV. There is internet access, but it varies in strength from room to room. The cantina and the pool both have excellent access. For me, this vacation was about relaxing and unplugging when in my room was a benefit to me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krista K
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

What A fantastic week with La cuoca Paola we learnt lots from our very enthusiastic maestra this a beautiful place in the middle of nowhere we worked very hard but we also ate very well and had an excellent choice of wines and liqueurs 34 In total. We had nine very interesting people to join us in our labours and free time great crowd grazie Mille Paola tanti auguri peer Natalie. Ciao Carlo and Audrey

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie-and-Audrey
Oz
Reviewed October 23, 2013

From the moment you arrive at Casa Ombuto, you get the feeling that the entire staff is truly happy to be your host. The service, facility and grounds are top-rate. Chef Paola Baccetti sets the tone for a week of fun, learning and adventure in the kitchen, where she elevates the cooking game in all her students. At the dinner table, you will spend hours learning about the Tuscan Way from this knowledgeable local fixture who has spent her life in the region. And thanks to Paola's great kitchen support team, this is a cooking adventure complete with everything except the clean-up duties.
There was one organized day trip to a winery, followed by lunch at an olive farm, a visit to another farm that makes goat cheese and then an old textile factory. Other days, you will have free time for local exploring or just relaxing, with cooking lessons starting at 3PM.
We had a fantastic week and found the other guests (there were 9 others) to be great company.
If you want to dive into authentic Tuscan cuisine, this is the place to do it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The M, Manager at Casa Ombuto - Cooking Schools in Tuscany, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for this lovely review and it is true we are truly happy to be your host at Tuscookany cooking classes in Italy. We are please you had such a fabulous time at Casa Ombuto and we look forward back. Happy cooking from the Tuscookany team
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We called our cooking school experience at Casa Ombuto in beautiful Tuscany, Italy the Best of the Best vacation. Our chef, Laura Giusti, earned that title as well. What an amazing chef, sommelier and overall talented person. Every meal was fresh, thought out, organized and absolutely delicious. Her cooking skills are amazing as we learned from her; easy to follow and fun to complete. She made us all feel comfortable no matter our own level of cooking skills. Do yourself the favor...visit Laura at Casa Ombuto. P.S. her kitchen helpers were fast, efficient and fun!

Room Tip: rooms can be a bit chilly but very comfortable. Loved the fire place in the common area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank suec1922
Thank you for your best of the best review of the Tuscany cooking classes at Casa Ombuto. We are pleased to read you had the best cooking vacation and am sorry you felt chilly - we have central underfloor heating and if the weather changes suddenly it does take time to warm up.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Tuscookany and happy cooking.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2013

There was a moment on the morning that I was to leave Casa Ombuto that I had to claim some privacy and sit in the cushioned chair near the lavender-potted surrounds of the pool to shed a tear. It felt wrong to leave. Casa Ombuto is more than incredibly delectable Italian food, wine on tap, a gorgeous villa and a Tuscan vista dipped in morning mist... Casa Ombuto is home.

It is probably one of the most singularly moving, inspiring, passionate, ridiculously wonderful weeks that I have spent travelling this beautiful world. Yes, it's expensive, but trust me, at just the moment when you're looking up at the stars in the wine-barrell-hot-tub, sipping prosseco with new friends after a wildly passionate afternoon cooking and evening consuming the most delectable food to ever cross your lips you will think only this... 'worth. every. cent.'

Life is to be lived and it is really worth leaving behind all that drags us through the every day and take a chance on an experience that will enrich our lives and add to the depth of our journey through life. Take the chance! Be the person who takes leave from work to spend a week at Casa Ombuto.

I know that I write in 'over the top' tones but I can not help but feel ridiculously verbose and romantic when I think of my week spent in Casa Ombuto. So much so that I won't even talk of all of the little wonderful details that make this incredible week. I will only speak in grandiose terms because that is what a week at Casa Ombuto is! It's creamy buttered pork, rich and dark earthy truffle, its breakfasts of peachy honey with ricotta and fruit, its long evenings bathed in the warmth of the fireplace and sipping homemake limencello, its gardens and blue pools and rolling hills, its Paola, the most extraordinary and incredible gift to the cooking world.... its life!

To sum up...There was a moment after one rather debaucherous and indulgent evening when I woke with a rather 'Nigella Lawson' inspired desire to eat from the fridge at midnight. So, I slipped down to the kitchen (open always) under the Tuscan moonbeams and made myself a little platter of delicious nibblies and a glass of red. I sat at the kitchen, still warmed from the evening fire, in my nighty (very Nigella) and marvelled at the depth of how extraordinary everything about Casa Ombuto was.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 1BrookeH
Your review brought tears to my eyes as it was so beautifully described and I we are so happy you had such a special time at Casa Ombuto. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and sharing about your midnight feast - I don't think you were the first to do this!
We look forward to welcoming you back someday on one Tuscookany cooking holidays in Italy.
Happy cooking from the Tuscookany team.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I just completed a week at Casa Ombuto with Chef Paola Baccetti, and it was a spectacular experience! The villa was beautiful and peaceful. The staff made us feel more like houseguests than customers. The region of Tuscany was breathtaking! The schedule was ideal, with mornings for exploring or relaxing, afternoons for cooking, and evenings for eating. It was as if we ate in a Michelin starred restaurant every night! Chef Paola was lovely and funny, and managed to bring out the best in all of us. I can’t begin to imagine the amount of planning and preparation that goes into our week of classes and the many, many recipes we prepare. Under her guidance, we made some remarkable food – better than I ever expected I could make. My fellow classmates added to the perfection of the week. Characters, all! Sweet, interesting people. The staff at Casa Ombuto made sure we were always comfortable, and had clean bowls and spoons and pans throughout our cooking lessons. Sheena, the resort manager, was always ready with spot-on advice for excursions. When you factor in the amazing meals, the excellent service, the dozens of bottles of wine (house wine flowing, and pairings with each course each night) and the delicious liquors that capped every meal, this was a very cost-effective way to see the very best of Italy. I highly recommend it, and will never forget the week I spent at Casa Ombuto.

Room Tip: The guest villa was rustic and beautiful - could have moved in for a year!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BostonJoy
Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased to read you had such a spectacular experience at Casa Ombuto Cooking schools in Italy. We hope to welcome you back one day either to Casa Ombuto or one of the other Tuscookany villa's. Happy cooking from the Tuscookany team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poppi
Villa Bordoni
Villa Bordoni
#1 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Hotel David
Hotel David
#1 of 421 in Florence
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,079 reviews
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
I Tre Baroni
I Tre Baroni
#1 of 1 in Moggiona

Been to Casa Ombuto - Cooking Schools in Tuscany? Share your experiences!