“A vacation with a Wow!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poppi
Casa Ombuto - Cooking Schools in Tuscany
Ranked #1 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Poppi
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife always wanted to someday to do a Tuscany cooking school. Deciding this was the year, we searched online and found Tuscookany.com. We are way beyond happy with the decision we made to spend the week at Casa Ombuto with Chef Laura Giust. It was so much more that a great learning vacation. It was a Wow! We had so much fun meeting and preparing meals with new found friends, learning ways to prepare new and out-of-this-world tasty dishes, enjoyed the watchful and delightful skills of Chef Laura, actually being a part of the beauty of Italy and its people, and, I learned ways to actually be helpful in the kitchen when we arrived home. The Tuscookany cook book used for the week is so well organized, helpful, so user friendly, and a great keepsake. It is now a fixture in our home kitchen. Our dinner guests beg for the recipes of the served fennel, orange and olive salad with pork tenderloin with pancetta, grapes and walnuts followed by zabaione with strawberries. Thank you Chef Laura Giust!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Travel4fun2go, Manager at Casa Ombuto - Cooking Schools in Tuscany, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Jim, Wow what a great review about our Mediterranean cooking in Italy. It looks like you have been practising at home a lot too! Thank you for taking the trouble to write this review, Laura and all of us from Tuscookany are proud! Happy cooking!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

With careful planning and a bit of research (also reading suggestions on Trip Advisor), we decided to take the train from Rome to Arezzo (2 hrs), rent a car at Avis (right across the street from the Arezzo train station) and drove 45 minutes to the Casa, just outside Poppi. It all worked our very well and we arrived at check-in time as planned. Yes, driving on Italian roads is QUITE the experience, but by the end of our vacation, we had become quite used to the craziness and there was a lot less shrieking. GPS was a good idea, but often sent us on the "scenic" route (i.e. single lane, curvy roads with no shoulder, cliffs on one side, mountain on the other). Great way to see the countryside however!

Everything at Casa Ombuto is beautiful, well maintained and nearly perfect - the rooms, kitchen, dining areas and poolside.

What else can I say that hasn't already been said by all the previous reviewers? This was a fantastic experience - probably the most enjoyable vacation I have ever had. Everything was wonderful - food, friends, wine, grappa, service and especially Laura & Lauretta and the girls! Grazie! Looking forward to my next Tuscookany experience!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mel B

Dear Mel, Thank you so much for this great review. We do recommend car hire as you have plenty of free time to explore the area when you are not having your italian cooking classes and indeed a GPS is a great tip! Happy cooking and warm regards from the Tuscookany team.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's been 3 years since we did the cooking class, and it sounds like things are just as wonderful now as then. There are not enough superlatives to describe Paola! The accommodations are also wonderful, just as they have been described by others. The excursions stil are good dinner table stories. All I would skip would be the grappa! P.S. I could only submit this if I lied about when we went...ahlora!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank susan t
Reviewed November 5, 2012

What a fabulous time cooking with Paola in Tuscany! I've already put my Shutterfly book together with all the wonderful photos! Our beautiful villa was just steps away from the cozy kitchen and dining room, where Paola taught us almost 15 recipes per day - what a blast in the kitchen as we rolled, chopped, sipped, and stirred all with a great playlist in the background to keep us motivated. The folks at Tuscookany made everything fun, special and relaxing. Paola is so much fun and takes a personal interest in each person. Good mix of free time and cook time, and can't beat the views. Alora!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

..then this is where I'll be.
I did the Italian cooking week at the end of Sept./early October with the fabulous Paola. Two friends and I from three different parts of the world met in Florence and had a car and driver take us to the property which worked out very well.
The accommodation was very comfortable and we enjoyed being able to make a fire in our sitting room. It was nice to have that sitting room and the patio out front to sit and visit in.
We used the hot tub once and even did a couple of cold plunges in the pool afterwards!
We enjoyed some lovely walks in the area which is pretty and slightly remote.
Not only did Paola teach us many great recipes, she did so with humour, with friendship, with joy in sharing her philosophy of eating the best, the freshest, the most real food you can find. And boy, was that food GOOD.
She also had a good tactic in having us cook with people other than our travel companions which helps you to get to know the other participants a little and we were there with some very fun folks!
The excursion day exceeded my expectations, it was so interesting and unique, I loved the winery and the story of the Renaissance house and who could not love Francesco and his eccentric family ? During that lunch under the horse chestnut tree we felt like we were in a movie! All capped off by Francesco's father singing to us.
All the staff members were great, but special mention has to go to Paola, Lauretta and Marta who are all stellar at their jobs.
We chose Tuscookany without really knowing what it would be like and it did not disappoint. If you are looking for a unique experience with wonderful people, delicious food in a lovely, tranquil setting then look no further.
I am looking forward to coming back one day.

Room Tip: Our room was Noce and we were very happy there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Incredible. So much more than I expected and that doesn't happen often:) We signed up for the week of Mediterranean cooking. Our chef was Laura Giusti and she is a delight. So helpful, so professional and fun to be around, before, during and after cooking. We were in class more than I expected and truely benefited from all of the hands on experiences. The Chef, Laura. The Manager, Loretta and the staff are all wonderful. The Villa and accommodations are fantastic. Once we found our way it was like being on a retreat. The grounds are wondrous, I could take long walks and not hear a car, an airplane or any other disturbance to spoil the quiet. The apartments that we were assigned to were so much more. I expected a room and bathroom but we had a kitchen, dining room table, sitting area and great fireplace. We went in September so the fireplace was welcome in the evenings and took the chill and dampness out of the air. Wood was always put on our doorstep in the morning for another fire. What service. I traveled with my cousin so we were two singles. We met wonderful people and connected with our classmates and are still in touch with each other. I recommend this experience to all that want to travel to a destination area away from the hustle and bustle of the tourists, cars, noise...I felt like I was welcomed into an authentic Italian home and treated as a member of the family. What a GREAT experience.

Room Tip: I was traveling with my cousin and we asked for individual rooms. We expected just a room and bath...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

By far the best holiday and experience I have ever had! If it wasn't so far away I would go back every year. All of the staff, the grounds and the setting, the accommodation, the food, the atmosphere and everything else was perfect. Our chef Laura Giusti is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, so warm and friendly. While it is recommended to hire a car I didn't as I was too nervous to drive on my own on the other side of the road. But I was lucky enough to have other guests offer me a ride and to spend the day with them on our free day. Even spending the day at the villa chilling out would have been lovely. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo