“Can't Wait to Return Again”

Calcione Castle and Country
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lucignano
Beaufort NC
“Can't Wait to Return Again”
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Calcione holds a very special place in our hearts, an Italian home away from home. For eight of us who spent a week there in October, it defines Italy and Tuscany -- peaceful respites with delightful people and irresistible food and wine. We elected to stay in the country and visit the cities and hill towns nearby on day trips. It was the second time in eight years my husband and I went there, with two different sets of eight people. Everyone loves Calcione and as soon as the dollar improves, we will be back.
We stayed at different villas on the two trips and would recommend both, particularly La Pergola. The gracious, bilingual host family now seems like distant cousins to us, and the for-hire chef Amel does a fantastic job, arriving to make pasta dinners from scratch, with flour and eggs and fresh produce and meats in hand. We never went out for dinner during our recent week there--fabulous lunches, yes, at Cacciatore, Monte San Savino, Lucignano, Florence, Montepulciano, Siena, Florence and Assisi. But dinner we ate in, enjoying Amel's handiwork on some nights and cooking ourselves the things we bought at the markets. And of course drinking castle wine.
We walked the estate lanes and olive groves, admired the views, sat under the arbor where you could reach up and pluck ripe grapes, read and talked and listened to Italia, went on excursions, got lost a lot and had a great restorative experience.
Fall is a wonderful time to be there--spring and summer must be lovely too, but autumn is special, with wine and olive oil harvests, fresh porcini, cool temperatures and changing fall colors. In any season, however, Calcione is simply the real Tuscany.
It's hard to believe anyone could have as bad a time as the "beware of this place" reviewers did. But given their description of a huge 14th Century castle complete with towering horseback-rider gates as a "little cottage," we're convinced they just got their places mixed up.

• Liked — Sense of peace, genuine history, gorgeous surroundings, gracious hosts, off the tourist trail
  • Disliked — there must be something but can't think of it
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank fishtowners

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
North Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Our week at Calcione could only have been improved by another week...or two. We were four couples sharing Pergola, with the optional fourth room and bath on the second floor. The house is breathtakingly beautiful, as is its setting at the castle gate. Olivella and her parents, the della Stufas, were charming and available, but not smothering. We did our touring during daylight -- Siena, Florence, Montepulciano, Assisi, and of course nearby Lucignano and Monte San Savino -- soaking up art, architecture and countryside and lingering over wonderful lunches, and stayed home at night with castle wine in front of the fire and home cooking. Three nights, the estate cook, Amel, prepared phenomenal dinners. Four nights we did our own things with the wonderful local ingredients. In between expeditions, sitting under the pergola or in a chaise on the lawn with a good book was just the ticket. The estate offers miles of lanes on which to walk off those meals in picturesque surroundings.
Reading the few negative postings (and the many more lauditory ones) leads me to think that certain people ought to think twice before booking at Calcione. If you need noise and urban stimulation, get a room in Siena or Florence. If you need to be waited on constantly, pick a hotel. If you need long winey dinners in fancy restaurants, stay in a city and walk home. If a little rural wildlife spooks you, avoid the summer months. Or stick to the Holiday Inn.
Day trips by car are not hard if you're a good driver and pay attention to signs. We had no interest in driving after dark.
If you're not comfortable with quiet and solitude, go with friends or go to a city. All we needed besides conversation were good books and a couple of iPods loaded with good music.
We're all ready to go back and stay forever.

• Liked — Location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — exchange rate
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Every year my husband and I travel with a group of friends. We take turns selecting a place. I love Italy so last year we chose Calcione. What a great choice. It’s tricky because there are eight of us. Everyone loved it. What’s there not to love? We could travel to nearby cities and towns, use the pool, have dinner cooked in our house on the nights we didn’t want to go out. From our first email Olivella was attentive to our diverse needs and requests. I love the house we stayed in – San Pietro. It is beautifully restored but still is Italy! We’ve rented houses on other trips where you could be anywhere in the world. We wanted to be in Italy. I highly recommend this fantastic place. And thankfully, our friends do too!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank kseka
New York City
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Il Calcione is superb. I travel extensively and seek out special places to stay. Il Calcione is a place I return to almost every year. It offers exactly what I expect in a relaxing vacation in Tuscany.

Perhaps the previous writer would be happier at the Hassler or other luxury hotel in Roma. I, too, appreciate comfort and a property absolutely must be sparkling clean. Il Calcione, in my experience, offers both. If you need to be waited on Il Calcione is not for you. However, the very reason I love spending time there is that it's peaceful, comfortable, gorgeous, and laid back. Excellent restaurants and shopping - and relaxing spas - are nearby. When we want to lay low for an afternoon, we can swim, play tennis, or take a long walk through the vineyards and wonder if there's any place on earth as quiet as Il Calcione.

I will definitely return and I know it will be as spectacular as ever.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Windrunner
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Basically to cut a long story short - We arrived at La Casetta castle (which was just a little cottage really) where we were greeted by the owners daughter & she kindly directed us to our cottage.

As soon as I got out of the car I felt bugs flying past my ears and all around my body & to my horror discovered they were wasps! I hurriedly followed my boyfriend & our guide to the dusty cottage door which took a big push to open (seems they shut up this place in winter off season & let bugs & snakes live in it instead in the damp stale dark conditions).

Once inside the place was very tidy and looked untouched since god knows when (cobwebs). The daughter then left us to read the information booklet which we flicked thru & to my horror discovered we would be sharing this cottage with tiger snakes, wasps & worst of all scorpions....

just as my boyfriend put the book down & was assuring me that theres no scorpions here his hand rested on the coffee table (which had a layer of glass ontop of it & there underneath was a massive scorpion snuggly btw table & glass covering. My boy was sure it was a decoration in the table but after he tapped the glass and the scorpion came alive I began to freak out & as we looked around the house more we saw scorpions in the shower etc etc.... we had to leave & stay in a sterile hotel for our week in Italy.

Please before you go realise they say NOTHING on the website about scorpions or tiger snakes & try to get u to pay the full week accomodation (which luckily we didnt)

And also the place was deserted in what was big tourist season, all i can think is that many girls get driven up there & refuse to stay!! Beware I say beware!!!

• Liked — Leaving the wasps, scorpions & snakes behind as we drove the out of there!!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank qwerty1Isreal
Truckee, California
Reviewed November 19, 2006

Words cannot possibly describe the beauty and peace that are part of Il Calcione and its surroundings. Upon arrival our gracious hostess said “here you will relax”. This statement rang true throughout our stay at Il Calcione. We were fortunate enough to stay at two of the houses at Il Calcione - San Pietro and Fontegiannelli. Both houses reflect classic Tuscan architecture color and décor which was so much a part of our experience. The kitchens were beautifully equipped and made our evening dinners such a pleasure. In fact our dinners were so pleasurable that we never made it to a restaurant during the evening in spite of the fact we were in the close vicinity of many fine restaurants. We would dine on our exterior terrace, with vistas of the olive groves and of the picturesque town of Luciganano, whose lights would twinkle late into the long dusk. The air was especially good as it was scented with the smell of spring foliage, olives and vines. In addition we were able to ride mountain bikes on gravel roads surrounded by olives and vines, that lead to small stone clad towns. The Contessa, Olivella (our hostess), was very helpful in directing us to all the beauty and history that surrounds Il Calcione, for you are situated so close to many historical towns such as Florence, Siena, Montepulciano and Pienza. Il Calcione was an inspiration and it’s memory will be with us forever.

6 Thank naw
Galway
Reviewed November 15, 2006

We had an amazing time in Tuscany in July 2006. A large part of the reason for our wonderful trip to Italy was our stay at Il Calcione. Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted by Olivella, who we found to be kind and very welcoming...like meeting an old friend. We stayed at Casa dei Lecci and the views from our private terrace were breath-taking! The apartments are on a 2000 acre estate and we were free to explore and use the 2 lakes on the property. The apartment was clean and comfortable and we found everything homey. We took advantage of the home cooked Tuscan meal and may I just say.."YUM!" A lady called Amel prepared our feast and I would highly recommend this night of culinary pampering! The whole Tuscan experience was made easy and relaxing as loads of information on the area was provided in a handy book in our apartment. We took full advantage of all the information. The pool area was just lovely and a great refreshment from the day's travels. I personally cannot believe the (understandably very few) negative reviews for Il Calcione listed here...It is not advertised as a luxury hotel, but it is an amazing Tuscan experience in itself, warm, welcoming, beautiful, relaxing..yes, there are no restaurants next-door but that adds to the charm of the region because each trip out to sight-see or to have a meal is an experience. We brought back loads of food and cooked at the apartment and enjoyed wonderful meals/snacks/wine out on the terrace. We actually had to bring our deposit over to Olivella as they never asked us for it...so I cannot understand how anyone would think they were just in it for the money The price was very reasonable as well. While we were at Calcione, the World Cup was on...Italy was playing and we just did not want to miss it. Bernardo and Nicoletta (Olivella's parents)took us in to their home and provided us with our own private room where we could watch. Both Bernardo and Nicoletta were welcoming and generous of their home and their private time. We were made to feel very at home and comfortable. We hope to come back many times in the future and would think of staying no where else but with Olivella at Calcione.

• Liked — Friendly, comfortable, homely, great views
  • Disliked — difficult road access
  • Tips/Secrets — buy food in local supermarkets (avoiding siesta time) and cook in apartment, restaurants in the area serve evening meal late in the evening
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alexluca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucignano
I Girasoli
#8 of 10 in Lucignano
Agriturismo La Nora
Agriturismo La Nora
#2 of 10 in Lucignano

Been to Calcione Castle and Country? Share your experiences!