“A good stop for a comfort food breakfast.”
Review of Thruway Restaurant

Thruway Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Halifax, Canada
“A good stop for a comfort food breakfast.”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Breakfast menu was large and included the standards. The food was well cooked and to your specific requests. It is worth mentioning that it was high in sodium.
The staff were prompt and efficient while serving in a friendly and welcoming style. There was no rushing the people to turn over the table. In fact, they were generous with their coffee refills making it a good place to meet for a comfortable visit.
It. Is good diner food in a comfortable environment at a handy location.

Ottawa
“Not as bad as what others had claimed”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went to Thruway for a dinner with friends a couple of weeks ago - I read the reviews by accident as I was only looking for directions - but stopped to read the tripadviser comments at the same time. Yes the food is diner style - but the plates were quite full and the prices were reasonable. If you want fine dining - this is not the place for you. If you expect good italian food - again - this is not the place for you. But if you are hungry and want a meal on the way home - it is not bad. The people that served us were very helpful and attentive - from the woman that seated us to the person that served us. It is roadhouse food - not gourmet. I stayed away from the hamburgers owing to the previous tripadvisor posts. The lasagna that I had was not that great - but again - I wasn't expecting it to be. It filled me up. That was the goal.

• Visited September 2013
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
“DO NOT EAT THE HAMBURGS”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

On August 20th I went to this restaurant, never again I ordered the hamburger (double), it came to me and at first I smelled a odour, thinking it was something else I took a bite, the taste was terrible, I spit it out, told the waitress, that the food was bad, she smelled it took it back to the kitchen, THEN RETURNED TO MY TABLE SAYING THERE IS NOTING WRONG WITH THIS, I told her I had to spit it out, it was so bad,( I also had my guest try a small piece of it to see if maybe it was just my taste buds, she said no its bad, before sending it back). No manger came to see me or no apology was given by the restaurant, I reorder trying the steak stir fry, not the usual vegetables in a stir fry and they seemed to be from a frozen package left half the plate of food on plate. I do not blame the waitress as she was just doing what she was told to do. I would of loved to see the cook eat that hamburger.

5 Thank Nancy M
Barrie, Canada
“Keep Driving, Poor Service, Poor Food Quality”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I came to Carleton Place on Business, this restaurant was across the street from the hotel I was staying at, and I thought why not give this place a try.

I was seated very quickly, and the restaurant does seem clean. As soon as I was given the menu, which was at least 6 pages if not more I knew that the food quality would be poor, most likely frozen, and possibly even microwaved. I was not disappointed in my assumptions.

I ordered a beer, which was flat and tasted just off. I ordered a cheese burger, thinking that there was no way that a restaurant could screw up my order. The meat was bland, tasteless, in fact I really suspect the meat was pee-cooked, and even microwaved if not just reheated in a pan. The meat was so dry and tasteless. The bun was perhaps wonderbread at best, and even then it was stale. The fries were McCain frozen fries, perhaps some other frozen french fry, a real disappointment. It came with a side of coleslaw which was so watery it put a hole in the paper severing tray. The Bacon was also tasteless, again I suspect the use of a microwave.

The service was poor, and it took almost 15 minutes for them to bring me another bad, flat, water downed beer.

Added to the fact that the food was poor, frozen, microwaved over priced, every time someone came into the restaurant a chime went off, perhaps to single the staff to get to the front to greet the customer. This is extremely annoying, and this fact, EVEN IF THE FOOD WAS GOOD would be enough for me to never, ever return here.

All in all, if traveling through Carleton Place do yourself a favour and keep driving, perhaps in Ottawa you'll do better. Should I ever find myself in Carleton Place again, I would not come here, nor would I recommend to anyone.

3 Thank Stephan29
Stouffville Ontario
“Awesome Pie!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Have been here twice and the food is great! Home cooked meals and the pies are to die for! You are full when you leave. We will be back!

• Visited July 2013